Skip to content

BG1 Unfinished Business v16.0

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Has there been any progress in the last few months? I've been putting off a play-through until this was finished.

Not recently. I've had a lack of spare time to do much modding, but I'm hoping to get back to BG1UB. There haven't been bug reports in a while, so either no one is using BG1UB on EE because it's "beta" or this current beta is fairly stable (I won't say "bug-free" or "done" because as I soon as I do that, a major CTD bug will occur :wink: ).
    Aedandockaboomski
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I used the latest version a while back and didn't run into any issues that I remember. I did miss a couple of the encounters though since I wasn't entirely sure where to find them.
    AstroBryGuydockaboomski
  • ChaosRiderChaosRider Member Posts: 26
    Hi! Your mod isn't compatible with BG:EE, everytime I'm trying to move to one of sharp-teeth forest location my game is crashing.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Hi! Your mod isn't compatible with BG:EE, everytime I'm trying to move to one of sharp-teeth forest location my game is crashing.

What other mods are you running?

That's a rather strong statement. :smile:

I've tested the Wood of Sharp Teeth areas and don't see any problems with BG1UB installed - no crashes. Do you have other mods installed? Is there a particular area that your game is crashing on, i.e. Peldvale, Larswood, Bandit Camp?
    elminster
  • ChaosRiderChaosRider Member Posts: 26
    BG2 Tweaks
    BG2 FixPack
    BGEEAR - armor stuff in friendly arm inn
    BGEEW - weapon stuff in friendly arm inn
    CARD KIT - new class kit (thief)
    Dark Horizonsbgee
    Drizzt Saga
    DSOTSCBGEE - Dark Side of Sword Coast
    DuskBlade - new class kit (fighter)
    ISRA - new npc
    KARATUR
    KITPACK
    LOST DRUID KIT - new class kit (druid)
    MARGARITA - new npc
    MONASTICORDERS
    MUR'NETH
    SCALES OF BALANCE
    TENYATHERMIDOR - new npc
    VALERIE - new npc
    VYND - new npc
    WHITE - new npc
    WMART - additional stuff in shops

While installing (even when its as a last of mods installed) I had no errors showed, but when Im going to new areas my game is crashing.
    You installed BG2 Fixpack? Did you install it in a language other than English? BG2 Fixpack shouldn't be needed for BGEE, and since it doesn't use HANDLE_CHARSETS to convert game text to UTF-8, that could crash the game.

Also, what order did you install your mods? Some mods should be installed before others. A general recommended mod install order (based on @cmorgan's Tutu Mod Compatibility and Order of Install thread, http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8122) would be:

Sound Mods (e.g., Restored BG1 Casting Sounds)
    Item/Store/Other Dependencies Mods
    Quest Mods
    Comprehensive Mods and Related Tweaks (BG1UB goes here)
    NPC Mods
    Graphical Mods
    AI/Scripting Mods
    Kit/Spell Mods
    Global Tweaks & Improvements (BG2 Tweaks, SCS, aTweaks)
    Pteran
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    Despite the lack of apparent progress on this mod, it is so stable that you wouldn't perceive it as a beta unless somebody told you so. I haven't had the chance to experience ALL components in scrutiny (I've probably experienced 70% or so), but I have so far encountered ZERO bugs or issues.

Theoretically, there is more cut content to be introduced, but this "beta" version is almost as good as a "release candidate".
  • davidj8580davidj8580 Member Posts: 20
    Is there a whole lot left to add? I'm waiting until the new expansion to start playing anyway. I want to have as "complete" an experience as possible. I've never used the BG:UB mod before so I am excited to see what I've missed.

Still mad that they weren't allowed to address these issues in the enhanced edition.
    edited July 2015
    Basically, every component of BG1UB that is not already fixed in (or otherwise unnecessary in) BGEE works. Many of the components are implemented (Extra Elminster Encounter, Shar-Teel & Angelo, etc..) or partially implemented (e.g., about 95% of the Inn, Store, & Temple fixes) in BGEE.

I'm working on a few new components and a code update to modernize BG1UB's codebase. But, the current beta works pretty well.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    elminstershawneJacedavidj8580

I'm working on a few new components and a code update to modernize BG1UB's codebase.

Interedasting... Could we get a spoiler-y insight on these new components, or is it slated for a surprise?
  • DuchessOfKvetchDuchessOfKvetch Member Posts: 25
    What happens with "updates" then, as far as install order? How should you approach installing an updated version of a mod?

I am seeing that the script seems to be trying to re-install all the other mods in my Weidu log anyway, even when I just want a surgical fix. Is that normally what happens, and should you really avoid updates if you aren't going to start a new game?

I ask because I just tried updating BGQE to v10, and it reinstalls UB. But it's synced to what may be a diff version of UB, and erm... uninstalled most of UB, due to a lot of translation and pathing errors. My initial setup was smooth, it's just been this latest patch (from the G3 site) that's giving me trouble and won't work with UB anymore.
    edited July 2015
    A good way to think about how WeiDU mods are installed is as "layers". Each mod is layered on top of the base game. However, this means that if you want to install an update to a mod (or uninstall it completely), WeiDU first has to "peel back the layers" to get to the mod you are updating. Then, when it is done updating, it reinstalls the higher layers.

Why does it have to do this? Well, suppose we have three mods that all edit the same file, mods A, B, and C, installed in that order. Mod A modded the base file, Mod B edited Mod A's modded file, and Mod C edited the file as modded by A & B. To install an update to Mod B, WeiDU first has to back out Mod C's changes, back out Mod B's changes, install the new version of Mod B, and finally reinstall Mod C (nothing is done to Mod A, since it was installed before Mod B ).

Normally, WeiDU handles all of this automatically. I'd need to see the SETUP-BG1UB.DEBUG log to have an idea exactly what is going on.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    It looks like, based on what I've seen inside the setup script and by doing a comparison of the folder structures between v9 and v10, that v9 is BGEE compatible and v10 is not. The sort of thing that can happen when you code off a different fork - or rather in this case, I think the version of BGQE that *is* EE compatible is a fork.

All the errors seem to be pathing related, but it's too complex to sort out - they had to add in a lot of subfolders and EE specific files - none of which are in the latest version anymore. So it sort of "ate" the portions of UB that were interdependent. I can reinstall v10 of BGQE now without any errors, but my install folder's been totally cleared of those conflicting UB components.

I'm wrestling with what to do now... so I don't lose anything in maps I've already visited. If there was a CRE or item on a map added via a UB component, and that component is uninstalled, what actually happens to those npcs/items, since the save games may still have their own references to them?
    ... What I am trying as a fix is to rerun the BGQE v10 setup, keeping everything unchanged, except uninstall the one new component. Then I'll wipe its folder and copy back over the previous working version 9. After that, do a quick setup but leave existing components alone - just want to update Weidu and whatever other behind the scenes config goes on.

Then I can reinstall the missing parts of UB again, and hopefully my save games won't know the difference.

I know this is not your issue, but hopefully someone else will read it and it may prevent some issues. It'll probably all be fixed in short order anyway.
    edited July 2015

It looks like, based on what I've seen inside the setup script and by doing a comparison of the folder structures between v9 and v10, that v9 is BGEE compatible and v10 is not. The sort of thing that can happen when you code off a different fork - or rather in this case, I think the version of BGQE that *is* EE compatible is a fork.

All the errors seem to be pathing related, but it's too complex to sort out - they had to add in a lot of subfolders and EE specific files - none of which are in the latest version anymore. So it sort of "ate" the portions of UB that were interdependent. I can reinstall v10 of BGQE now without any errors, but my install folder's been totally cleared of those conflicting UB components.

I'm wrestling with what to do now... so I don't lose anything in maps I've already visited. If there was a CRE or item on a map added via a UB component, and that component is uninstalled, what actually happens to those npcs/items, since the save games may still have their own references to them?

BGQE v10 appears perfectly BGEE compatible. Since this is and has always been Jastey's mod, it's not a fork.

Actually, it appears to be a problem with how BG1UB is handling its section of code that runs "ALWAYS" (i.e., before every subcomponent). There was a block that was not running in a re-install situation.

I'll get a fix for BG1UB posted ASAP. Until then, manually uninstall BG1UB before updating any other mods, then reinstall.
    Primarily I saw lines like "error loading [bg1ub/shilochen//UBGLOVE1.ITM]" in the debug file for BGQE v10, and it looked like a pathing error to me (missing the parameter to indicate subfolder).

There were also "no translation provided for @(some number)" errors, and since the folder structure for localizations was changed around, that also seemed to be tied into things.
    Yes, there is a section of BG1UB that was coded to not run if a certain variable is defined. During a typical installation, this section would therefore run once (in process the variable would be defined) and everything would be fine. However, during your update, BGQE defined the same variable, which prevented BG1UB's code from running. This left BG1UB without a .tra file compiled and certain variables undefined.

In the error: "error loading [bg1ub/shilochen//UBGLOVE1.ITM]" there is supposed to be another directory between the "//". This is filled in by a variable that was undefined. The "no translation" errors are due to the .tra file that didn't get compiled.

It's a simple fix. I just need to remove the condition. The code section will then always run. I'll see if I can get it posted up tonight.
    Musigny
    @AstroBryGuy Always such a tease!

Feedback on your "enhancement"!

-Snow Golems instantly lose interest in chasing you once you get out of their sight. Even a simple turn in a corner will make them stop. Sounds like a construction defect! In contrast, the other... canine residents of the ice island aren't that dumb!
    -Due to the first point, it's possible to angle yourself and kill Dezkiel from range without any golem coming to his rescue. The golems do nothing unless they can see you themselves. So much for his new guardians!
    -Snow Golem Breath looks like it should have been an AoE, but only affects a single person. It also seems to be used only once. Boring! What do you say we beef it up with a Cone of Cold animation and make it an actual AoE?
    Jace said:

@AstroBryGuy Always such a tease!

Feedback on your "enhancement"!

-Snow Golems instantly lose interest in chasing you once you get out of their sight. Even a simple turn in a corner will make them stop. Sounds like a construction defect! In contrast, the other... canine residents of the ice island aren't that dumb!
    -Due to the first point, it's possible to angle yourself and kill Dezkiel from range without any golem coming to his rescue. The golems do nothing unless they can see you themselves. So much for his new guardians!
    -Snow Golem Breath looks like it should have been an AoE, but only affects a single person. It also seems to be used only once. Boring! What do you say we beef it up with a Cone of Cold animation and make it an actual AoE?
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll have to work on the scripting.

There's two cold effects. One is a single target cold damage that you take on a melee hit. The other is an AoE breath effect. It should be a cone - so if you're not seeing it, then something isn't working. It currently uses the BG1 Cone of Cold animation (BG1UB is compatible with original BG1 and I want to keep that). I could create a Tutu/BGT/BGEE version of the breath weapon using the updated Cone of Cold animation.
    edited July 2015
    @AstroBryGuy To clarify...

The golem's melee attack does extra cold damage. That works fine. The golem also uses a breath attack which, as you said, uses the old cone of cold animation. The problem is that no matter how clustered I positioned my party, I couldn't get it to actually hit more than the golem's main target. That's why I propose changing it to behave, both visually and mechanically, like the current Cone of Cold spell.
    Jace said:

@AstroBryGuy To clarify...

The golem's melee attack does extra cold damage. That works fine. The golem also uses a breath attack which, as you said, uses the old cone of cold animation. The problem is that no matter how clustered I positioned my party, I couldn't get it to actually hit more than the golem's main target. That's why I propose changing it to behave, both visually and mechanically, like the current Cone of Cold spell.
    Thanks! I will do separate versions for BG1 vs. BGEE/Tutu/BGT. The former cannot use the new animation (projectiles are hardcoded), so it's stuck with the original.
    elminster
    New beta version! (@Jace)

http://github.com/AstroBryGuy/bg1ub/releases/tag/v14.0_beta_150715

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/bg1ub/archive/v14.0_beta_150715.zip (direct link to zip file)

Changes in v14.0-beta-150715

* Improve scripting of snow golems in Ice Island Level 2.
    * Snow Golem Breath uses BG2 Cone of Cold animation on BGEE/Tutu/BGT

elminster
    How to break @AstroBryGuy 's script: Volume 1

1. Load the attached save.
    2. Cast Sanctuary from the main character and position him in the middle of the room.
    3. Have an archer (Dorn or Imoen) engage Dezkiel from an angle outside the visual range of the golems.
    4. With the help of the Sanctuaried character, observe the following behaviors.
    a. Don't attack Dezkiel at all; the golems assist him and run towards the archer(s).
    b. Immediately attack Dezkiel with the archer(s); the golems don't move an inch.
    c. Attack Dezkiel just before he completes his Improved Invisibility spell; the golems, who were seen moving at first, will stop, unless they managed to come close enough to see the attacker(s).

I apologize in advance for any shattered hopes!
    Jace said:

How to break @AstroBryGuy 's script: Volume 1

1. Load the attached save.
    2. Cast Sanctuary from the main character and position him in the middle of the room.
    3. Have an archer (Dorn or Imoen) engage Dezkiel from an angle outside the visual range of the golems.
    4. With the help of the Sanctuaried character, observe the following behaviors.
    a. Don't attack Dezkiel at all; the golems assist him and run towards the archer(s).
    b. Immediately attack Dezkiel with the archer(s); the golems don't move an inch.
    c. Attack Dezkiel just before he completes his Improved Invisibility spell; the golems, who were seen moving at first, will stop, unless they managed to come close enough to see the attacker(s).

I apologize in advance for any shattered hopes!
    Back to the drawing board... :weary:
    Don't give up! Here's a yummy cake for all your marvelous efforts!

AstroBryGuy
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    AedanAstroBryGuyJaceLoldrup
  • OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Great News I never played this mod and I had just downloaded it before I saw this mod
    I have never used any mods with any of my BG play throughs
    I also downloaded NPC1 Project which one should I add first
    any other tips for a first time mod user would be helpful
    Thank you for your time