Skip to content

BG1 Unfinished Business v16.0

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    If you're installing both BG1UB and BG1NPC, BG1NPC has its own versions of the following components: Finishable Kagain Caravan Quest, Coran and the Wyverns, Kivan and Tazok, Branwen and Tranzig. If you install BG1UB first, do NOT install these components since BG1NPC does not detect BG1UB. If you install BG1UB after BG1NPC, it will detect BG1NPC and skip these components.
  • DuchessOfKvetchDuchessOfKvetch Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2015
    Some weird behavior regarding Prism's emeralds. I've been doing a lot of non-standard path testing. And for example, if you kill Prism and take the emeralds in his inventory, when you go speak with Oublek back in town, he doesn't take them back. At least in my case. I was flagged as a "big fat liar" by him, so I got the message about being given a mediocre reward (only 250g, as opposed to the usual 1300g?). BUT he didn't take the emeralds, and everything else I've read implies that is part of the transaction, normally.
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, there seems to be some weirdness here.

If you were dishonest with Oublek the first time, he will call you a thieving scoundrel and a journal entry "Payment Denied!" will appear. But... you can just talk to him again and...

a. If you have both emeralds, he will give you some payment but he'll NOT take them.
    b. If you have one of them, he will take it and reward you. If you return with the second emerald later, he'll also take it.

If you were honest the first time with him, there is no issue, whether you have one or both emeralds.
    AstroBryGuy
    Jace said:

Yeah, there seems to be some weirdness here.

If you were dishonest with Oublek the first time, he will call you a thieving scoundrel and a journal entry "Payment Denied!" will appear. But... you can just talk to him again and...

a. If you have both emeralds, he will give you some payment but he'll NOT take them.
    b. If you have one of them, he will take it and reward you. If you return with the second emerald later, he'll also take it.

If you were honest the first time with him, there is no issue, whether you have one or both emeralds.

The first part - being able to talk to Oublek again, is a vanilla behavior.

(a.) is a bug. Should be easy to fix. Thanks for reporting it!
    Ok, I have a test version to hopefully fix both the scripting issue on Ice Island and the Oublek not taking the emeralds issue.

It appears to work for me. Let me know if you have any issues.

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/bg1ub/archive/master.zip
    shawne
    edited July 2015
    Eh... Oublek still doesn't accept both emeralds at once if you were dishonest. Only change I saw was that there was neither thieving scoundrel dialogue nor "Payment Denied!" journal entry.

I concede defeat with the ice script. So far, I have failed to break it. What I didn't expect though...

...the fact that if you lure the golems away and then turn invisible, they'll retreat back to Dezkiel! Whoops, so much for cheesing!
    ...the increased breath frequency which can be quite a killer, but I love it! Finally, a good use for frost protection potions!
    AstroBryGuy
    Glad to hear you like the ice script!

Regarding Oublek: Hmmm... I tested that scenario. Do you have a save game I can test? Maybe I can figure out why it's not working for you.
    Take a look.

Obviously, it's a new game with an imported character and an artificially leveled Imoen.
  • GKL206GKL206 Member Posts: 75
    edited July 2015
    Not installing for me at all, I'm afraid: says I need BGT or TUTU. I thought it may be down to drive numbering but I've moved my installation back to C and I'm still getting no install.
    Post edited by GKL206 on
    Just add a fuller debug file
    You are trying to install BG1UB v13.1, which is not compatible with BGEE. You need the v14.0-beta.

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,29319.0.html
    edited July 2015
    Jace said:

Take a look.

Obviously, it's a new game with an imported character and an artificially leveled Imoen.

Thanks! That was very helpful.

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/bg1ub/releases/tag/v14.0_beta_150718

BG1UB v14.0 beta 2015-07-18

Changes for this release:

* Bugfixes for Snow Golem scripting for Ice Island Level 2. Now @Jace approved!
    * Oublek will now take the emeralds on the "bad boy" branch (i.e. CHARNAME impersonated Greywolf).
    * If CHARNAME impersonates Greywolf, Oublek's future reaction depends on reputation.

If CHARNAME impersonates Greywolf, then when CHARNAME first brings a bounty to Oublek, his response depends on his reaction. If it's HOSTILE, Oublek refuses to deal with the PC and does an EscapeArea(). This makes Oublek's line "You'll have no reward here, you thievin' scoundrel!" and the "Payment Denied" journal entry make sense. If Oublek's reaction is NEUTRAL or FRIENDLY, Oublek chastises the PC (with an unused line of Oublek dialog, #665), but will accept bounties (at reduced rewards).
    edited July 2015
    I thought I was using the correct one: "bg1ub-14.0_beta_150715." but I've managed to get 14.0...150718 to install now, thanks. Probably just me being an idiot: it often is.
    Oh, and, of course thanks for all work you've done with the NPC Project and now this. It's great to have this content in EE (if *I* can get it to work).
    Post edited by GKL206 on
  • sandrolsandrol Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2015
    Hi,
    Question,
    I have a problem with the installation because i didn't really understand were to put the file,
    Can you please help because every time i try to install it a get a "Fatal Error"
    You can add "step by step stupid guide" :blush:
    Thanks
    @AstroBryGuy Jeez, Oublek still refuses to take both of my emeralds on the "bad boy" branch. I'm almost convinced my installation is cursed.
    AstroBryGuy
    Jace said:

@AstroBryGuy Jeez, Oublek still refuses to take both of my emeralds on the "bad boy" branch. I'm almost convinced my installation is cursed.

It works for one at a time, yes? To quote Kirk, "This is damn peculiar."

Do you have another mod that would affect the Prism quest? Can you send me a copy the OUBLEK.DLG file from your override directory?

The only thing I can think of is that another mod changed the action text BG1UB is replacing. If this is what happened, then BG1UB would not find the string it is looking for and would therefore not insert the actions to remove the unique emeralds.
    sandrol said:

Hi,
    Question,
    I have a problem with the installation because i didn't really understand were to put the file,
    Can you please help because every time i try to install it a get a "Fatal Error"
    You can add "step by step stupid guide" :blush:
    Thanks

Is it saying "not a game directory"? If so, you need to install the mod in the directory with the CHITIN.KEY file. Where exactly this file is depends on the game you're installing on (BGEE, Tutu, BGT, BG1), your platform (WIndows, OSX, Linux), and where you purchased the game from (Beamdog, Steam, GOG, Apple).
    edited July 2015
    @AstroBryGuy Over to you, my dear.

I'm not running any other mods.
    AstroBryGuy
    edited July 2015
    AstroBryGuy
    Thanks i finally succeeded to install the mod i will run from the start with only your mod and give a bug report (if i find any) on the mod
    Some information about my installation:
    Baldures Gate EE newest edition
    Win8
    Beamdog
    This is the only mod that is installed on my game.
    Thank you from an addicted baldures Gate game fan
    If you want more information please ask.
    Post edited by sandrol on
    edited July 2015
    Jace said:

@AstroBryGuy Over to you, my dear.

I'm not running any other mods.

I don't know why, but the following command in OUBLEK.D is not working for you:
    REPLACE_TRANS_ACTION ~%tutu_var%oublek~ BEGIN %BGT_DiffState% END BEGIN 0 END ~TakePartyItemNum("misc43",2)~ ~TakePartyItem("abgfEyeL") TakePartyItem("abgfEyeR") AddJournalEntry(99999214%QUEST_DONE%) %ERASEJOURNALENTRY_PRISM_0% %ERASEJOURNALENTRY_PRISM_1% %ERASEJOURNALENTRY_PRISM_2% %ERASEJOURNALENTRY_PRISM_3% %ERASEJOURNALENTRY_PRISM_4% %ERASEJOURNALENTRY_PRISM_5% %ERASEJOURNALBGEE%~
    It is supposed to replace the text "TakePartyItemNum("misc43",2)" on OUBLEK state 14 with commands to take the unique emeralds and do some journal editing.

Here's the original action text:
    AddexperienceParty(200)
    GivePartyGold(250)
    TakePartyItemNum("misc43",2)
    SetGlobal("OublekBounty2","GLOBAL",1)
    It works fine on my install:
    AddexperienceParty(200)
    GivePartyGold(250)
    TakePartyItem("abgfEyeL")
    TakePartyItem("abgfEyeR")
    AddJournalEntry(34199,QUEST_DONE)
    EraseJournalEntry(34195)
    EraseJournalEntry(34196)
    EraseJournalEntry(34197)
    EraseJournalEntry(34201)
    EraseJournalEntry(34202)
    EraseJournalEntry(34200)
    EraseJournalEntry(27348)
    EraseJournalEntry(27104)
    EraseJournalEntry(27367)
    EraseJournalEntry(27368)
    EraseJournalEntry(27369)
    EraseJournalEntry(27372)
    But, on yours, the TakePartyItemNum command is not there, but nothing replaces it:
    AddexperienceParty(200)
    GivePartyGold(250)
    The fact that I can't replicate this error makes it hard to figure out what is going on. The other REPLACE_TRANS_ACTION commands appear to be working for you. So, I can't imagine why this one command is failing.

Can you send me your SETUP-BG1UB.DEBUG file? Maybe there is something there.
    @AstroBryGuy Well, if it's exclusively on my side, and you can't find the cause, don't waste any energy on it. Besides, there is a way around it even if I decide to take the dishonest route (drop one gem, talk, pick up the dropped gem, talk again). But if you insist...

AstroBryGuy
    Hi,
    2 questions.
    1. What is the newest Beta version of UB?
    2. How i upgrade if i need to upgrade, i need to delete the last version and then install or to just unpack and install the files ?
    Thanks for the answer's
    The safest way is to uninstall the old version, delete it, then install the new version. Do NOT just delete the old version's folder without uninstalling first. You can bork your game doing that.

The latest beta is BG1UB v14.0-beta-15-07-18. The latest version can always be found at

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/bg1ub/releases

edited July 2015
    Jace said:

@AstroBryGuy Well, if it's exclusively on my side, and you can't find the cause, don't waste any energy on it. Besides, there is a way around it even if I decide to take the dishonest route (drop one gem, talk, pick up the dropped gem, talk again). But if you insist...

Thanks for the debug file. I think I have the likely explanation.

Here's the section where BG1UB processed Oublek's dialog:
    [bg1ub/abPrismEmeralds/oublek.d] loaded, 22852 bytes
    Processing 1 dialogues/scripts ...
    [./override/OUBLEK.DLG] loaded, 10832 bytes
    [OUBLEK.DLG] loaded
    [./override/PRISM.DLG] loaded, 7684 bytes
    [PRISM.DLG] loaded
    [OUBLEK.DLG] saved 47 states, 88 trans, 4 strig, 39 ttrig, 28 actions
    override/OUBLEK.dlg copied to bg1ub/backup/28/OUBLEK.dlg, 10832 bytes
    [PRISM.DLG] saved 28 states, 86 trans, 17 strig, 44 ttrig, 60 actions
    override/PRISM.dlg copied to bg1ub/backup/28/PRISM.dlg, 7684 bytes
    Compiling 1 dialogue file ...
    Since it loaded OUBLEK.DLG from the override directory, that tells me that Oublek's dialog was already modified before BG1UB. If it was starting with the vanilla Oublek dialog, it would look like this:
    [bg1ub/abPrismEmeralds/oublek.d] loaded, 22852 bytes
    [OUBLEK.DLG] loaded
    [PRISM.DLG] loaded
    [OUBLEK.DLG] saved 39 states, 72 trans, 4 strig, 31 ttrig, 20 actions
    [PRISM.DLG] saved 19 states, 50 trans, 10 strig, 22 ttrig, 33 actions
    Compiling 1 dialogue file ...
    So, the most likely explanation is that the OUBLEK.DLG file in your override is missing the string BG1UB is looking for.

Still, it breaks BG1UB's component if OUBLEK.DLG has been modded (to remove Action strings it is trying to repalce), which is Not Good. I'll fix it so that the TakePartyItem() actions for the unique emeralds are always added to the proper states.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    Musigny
    edited July 2015
    I believe BG1NPC, UB, and RE all make changes to Oublek.dlg.

In my case I installed RE first, as suggested. But it does have 2 quests that add dialogue options to Oublek - I believe the riverside ghosts one, and the "Necromancer" quest, both which have Nashkel related content.
    As an update, looking in NearInfinity, I can see that there are 2 triggers for turning in emeralds as an "honest" guy, and the first one dictates removing the eyes from inventory TWICE. But the entry for being dishonest just gives you some xp and gold and nothing more. It's as if the eye removal code got injected into the wrong place.
    edited July 2015

I believe BG1NPC, UB, and RE all make changes to Oublek.dlg.

In my case I installed RE first, as suggested. But it does have 2 quests that add dialogue options to Oublek - I believe the riverside ghosts one, and the "Necromancer" quest, both which have Nashkel related content.

Yes, but none of them remove the action string "TakePartyItemNum("misc43",2)" from Oublek State 14.

I just did a test install with BG1RE, BGQE, and BG1NPC installed before BG1UB, and it worked just fine. I can't reproduce the problem, so I have no idea what is happening.

@Jace said there were no other mods installed on their game. So, there shouldn't have been a OUBLEK.DLG in the override directory. The fact that there was suggests that a previous mod uninstall went awry and left behind a modified OUBLEK.DLG. In that case, the best thing to do would be to uninstall BG1UB, clean out the override directory (since it should be empty with no mods installed on BGEE), and then try to install BG1UB again.

As an update, looking in NearInfinity, I can see that there are 2 triggers for turning in emeralds as an "honest" guy, and the first one dictates removing the eyes from inventory TWICE. But the entry for being dishonest just gives you some xp and gold and nothing more. It's as if the eye removal code got injected into the wrong place.

So, you see two responses to State 9 with BOTH of the following conditions in the Response Trigger:
    PartyHasItem("abgfEyeL")
    PartyHasItem("abgfEyeR")
    And one of them has FOUR "TakePartyItem()" commands in the Action (i.e., two for each emerald)?

Send me the OUBLEK.DLG from your override, the SETUP-BG1UB.DEBUG file, and if you can find it, the pre-BG1UB OUBLEK.DLG. It should be stored in bg1ub/backup/28/.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    edited July 2015

@Jace said there were no other mods installed on their game. So, there shouldn't have been a OUBLEK.DLG in the override directory. The fact that there was suggests that a previous mod uninstall went awry and left behind a modified OUBLEK.DLG. In that case, the best thing to do would be to uninstall BG1UB, clean out the override directory (since it should be empty with no mods installed on BGEE), and then try to install BG1UB again.

@AstroBryGuy Well, fancy that, it worked! :open_mouth:

May have indeed been some very old mod uninstallation gone bad because there were a bunch of other files still there. But my memory fails me and I can't remember.

AstroBryGuy
    Jace said:

@AstroBryGuy Well, fancy that, it worked! :open_mouth:

May have indeed been some very old mod uninstallation gone bad because there were a bunch of other files still there. But my memory fails me and I can't remember.

Woohoo! I am VERY happy to hear that! :smiley:
    Musigny
    I feel kind of bad for wasting your time like this, so accept my deepest apologies. and may your next components be bug-free!
    Musigny