Skip to content

The lich quota

The lich quota has been reached, thank you for playing, but seriously. What is the lich to every other Race ratio here?

So my Sorcerer (the carryover from bg1) found two liches a few days ago, both of them were in "secret areas." The first one I found in a hidden tomb inside of the tavern at the main gate. The second one I can't remember but he now sits in the Drow city of the under dark (I cleared the under dark dungeons before going to the Drow city and what not. I'm pretty sure the beholder dungeon is what hell looks like. Tentacle eye monsters that kept making me cry...)

My wild mage (The level 27 important from black pits 1-2) after doing the same hidden lich fights, I started to powerbomb quest so I could rush to the underdark with Viconia (I really what to see if returning with her causes... Hell something interesting to happen.) Anyways, while rushing quest I just so happened to have to fight a liches in places that I swear weren't there my first go.

1. The unseen eye quest, I had to fight a lich in the final dungeon where you have to get the item from the unseen eye and use it on him. Well, not that one, but the one before, in the tavern like area where all the one instead tells you to please leave because you're making them hungry.

In the spellhold first dungeon, right before you fight the vampire and take his hand. Like really, does the game just roll dice and on when and where to put none plot point liches? Shoot, if they are going to do that, might as well put a way inside the mage stronghold for mage charname to become a lich, Bahamut knows it will make that underwhelming place feel more purposeful.

Comments

• AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Some encounters scale to your level. Undead ones usually have a lich if you are high enough. This includes the Unseeing Eye quest and the spellhold library. So if you import a level 27 character you will need to fight liches, OTH they should be pretty trivial at that level.
    FinneousPJdeltagoelminsterJuliusBorisov
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Ammar said:

Some encounters scale to your level. Undead ones usually have a lich if you are high enough. This includes the Unseeing Eye quest and the spellhold library. So if you import a level 27 character you will need to fight liches, OTH they should be pretty trivial at that level.

Don't get me wrong, they are a joke, but BG never struck me as a "scaling enemies" type of game. I always saw it as the "fixed level, fixed placement, fixes items" type of game.

• Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    If you find Liches to be a joke, I strongly recommend installing SCS :) Liches are not supposed to be a joke. Not at all.
    SmilingSworddoggyDexterJuliusBorisov
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029

Don't get me wrong, they are a joke, but BG never struck me as a "scaling enemies" type of game. I always saw it as the "fixed level, fixed placement, fixes items" type of game.

I lot of the encounters in the game actually scale. Not all, certainly, but it's actually quite common. In particular, undead encounters, golem encounters, and beholder encounters often scale quite strongly.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Elemental Lich in the Bridge District.

Shade Lich in the Unseeing Eye quest.

Kangaxx the Lich and Demi-lich in the Docks.

Deirex the lich in Ust Natha.

Alchra Diagott in the Underdark.

The Deril Lich in the Deril Estate in the Government District.

Von Goethe in Amekthran.

Odamaron in Sendai's Enclave.

The librarian lich at the first level of Watcher's Keep.

Liches at the Final Seal.

Azamantes at the Final Seal.

The Watcher's Keep demi-lich.

Nameless liches in (1) the Graveyard District (2) the Gate District (3) the Pit of the Faithless, near the Unseeing Eye area (4) the Temple Ruins in the Umar Hills quest (5) Spellhold. The last three of these are dependent on your XP.

So, 17 liches in BG2 and ToB, or 16 if you don't count the nameless demi-lich.
    DJKajuruwoowoovoodooJuliusBorisov

Elemental Lich in the Bridge District.

Shade Lich in the Unseeing Eye quest.

Kangaxx the Lich and Demi-lich in the Docks.

Deirex the lich in Ust Natha.

Alchra Diagott in the Underdark.

Von Goethe in Amekthran.

Odamaron in Sendai's Enclave.

Liches at the Final Seal.

Azamantes at the Final Seal.

The Watcher's Keep demi-lich.

Nameless liches in (1) the Graveyard District (2) the Gate District (3) the Pit of the Faithless, near the Unseeing Eye area (4) the Temple Ruins in the Umar Hills quest (5) Spellhold. The last three of these are dependent on your XP.

So, 17 liches in BG2 and ToB, or 16 if you don't count the nameless demi-lich.

And yet I'm denied the joys of being both Liche and Dragon born... Everyone sucks -.-
    DJKajuru
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

That's a named lich: Lagole Gon.

Not quite. The librarian isn't a lich, it's the old priest who appears as a lich.
    There's actually a file for "Deril Lich" as well as "Lagole Gon." Curiously enough, the Deril Lich is human, while Lagole Gon is a lich. The WK Priest is also coded as a lich. The Priest's race as well as the animation is "lich"; only the class is different.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    What about whatsisname the Lich that guards the Nether Scroll?
    @Lord_Tansheron: That's the Lich I mentioned in the Graveyard District.
    Grum said:

And you never destroy a single phylactery.

For all we know it could be the same liche, constantly reloading against Charname before finally rage quitting

A very good point actually!
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Do you ever get to fight the The Deril Lich?
    I used Cernd on a full playthrough once and we got his kid, dropped off at the grove and that was that. Nobody came back for revenge.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Do you ever get to fight the The Deril Lich?
    I used Cernd on a full playthrough once and we got his kid, dropped off at the grove and that was that. Nobody came back for revenge.

How the encounter in the Deril Estate goes depends upon your dialogue choices. But yes: with the right dialogue, you can trigger a battle with Deril, and have the lich Lagole Gon teleport in to help him, and kill them both (quite good XP!), then rescue Cernd's kid (dropped by Deril) and continue to the Grove as before.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Cool thanks, will kill em next time I take Cernd.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Grum said:

That would make a good quest in itself. Phylacteries ARE highly magical items, and nothing short of a red dragons breath can destroy it. One doesn't just go smashing phylacteries.
    Yannir said:

Grum said:

That would make a good quest in itself. Phylacteries ARE highly magical items, and nothing short of a red dragons breath can destroy it. One doesn't just go smashing phylacteries.
    Unless your name is Dr. Strange, or Dr. Fate, or the hulk, or a large portion of the magic the gathering multiverse :smile:
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Hey, you guys forgot about Shangalar in the Twisted Rune quest! That's one more lich to add to the total.
    JuliusBorisov