Skip to content

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

One of the things that I really like about MCU is all of the (fundamental) interconnectedness that is written into each movie. Like it's one big universe instead of individual franchises.

This is why Marvel is doing so well with its MCU--all the movie plots ultimately get approved by one person and one person only, Mr. Feige. So far that has been a good thing; we can only hope that Marvel Studios realizes that their system isn't broken and thus does not need to be fixed.

DC could be doing just as well if they could ever get a successful franchise off the ground that isn't Batman or Superman. Green Lantern was okay but ultimately they could have used a better script.

booinyoureyes
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I really hope Deadpool's movie will be as good as all the teasers make it look :)
    iKrivetko
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    DC is also saddled with the "grounded and gritty" philosophy, which would prevent them ever doing a movie like Ant Man.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    mlnevese said:

I really hope Deadpool's movie will be as good as all the teasers make it look :)

At least the trailer from comiccon was bloody brilliant.
    "Just make sure the suit isn't green, or animated"
    mlnevese
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @Mathsorcerer - just so. Now all Marvel needs to do is consolidate the various universes such that Xmen (et all) and Avengers (Including Hulk which appears to be a hold out for some contractual reason) can start piling on.

Another issue that DC has (and Marvel suffers from this a bit) is it differentiates between the TV universe and the movies. I hear that they are working on a Flash movie that won't have anything to do with the Hit CW series. And there are rumors that Green Lantern may become a regular on either Arrow or Flash, but that he will be different from the GL that potentially show up in the Justice League movies.

Marvel has that problem a bit in that there have been some short steps different between Agents of SHIELD and the MCU. Still they are doing a LOT better than DC in that arena. Plus, I just really like Agents of SHIELD and Agent Carter. The DC stuff tends to be hit or miss on the TV front. Not actually BAD, but inconsistent (personal/subjective opinion).
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    The Hulk thing is that Universal has distribution rights for any solo film, which means they would cream off a goodly chunk of the gross profit.

I always wondered if they could get round it by simply avoiding having the character's name in the title though.

"Planet Sakarr"
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Ultron was a more interesting villian than Loki.

Also my iPad Jut corrected Ultron to Ultranationalist. way to go, Apple.

Another issue that DC has (and Marvel suffers from this a bit) is it differentiates between the TV universe and the movies. I hear that they are working on a Flash movie that won't have anything to do with the Hit CW series. And there are rumors that Green Lantern may become a regular on either Arrow or Flash, but that he will be different from the GL that potentially show up in the Justice League movies.

Agreed. DC is stupid for not hiring the same creative team and slate of actors they have for their CW shows Arrow and Flash. Those people already know each other, work well enough with each other to create successful shows, are familiar with their characters, and have face recognition. *shrug* I am not in charge of casting for DC movies, obviously, or things would be different.

Agreed. DC is stupid for not hiring the same creative team and slate of actors they have for their CW shows Arrow and Flash. Those people already know each other, work well enough with each other to create successful shows, are familiar with their characters, and have face recognition. *shrug* I am not in charge of casting for DC movies, obviously, or things would be different.

Apparently Marvel has the same issue only to a lesser degree. Joss has commented a number of times that direction changes in the Movie-verse have impacted the TV shows in ways that were not to his liking. The fact that Clark Gregg's character had to be resurrected was one issue. Another was the fact that they basically launched a show ABOUT SHIELD, only to have SHIELD effectively demolished in Winter Solder a few months later. Admittedly they have done wonders in keeping the acting the same and keeping (in broad strokes) the discontinuity to a minimum, but it has apparently been a headache for several people.

But from DC's perspective to have (successfully) launched The Flash TV show staring one cast and to be working on another FLASH Movie staring a completely different person in the same role? That's just wrong. And rumors have it that GL will be a similar issue when Justice League comes out.

I like The Flash as a TV show, and have enjoyed Arrow (for the most part). And Gotham has it's moments. But they absolutely don't have it as down and solid as Marvel does.

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I dunno about you guys, but I'm quitting my job and becoming a white version of the Falcon

Nonnahswriter
    Expectation

Reality
    SmilingSwordNonnahswriter
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827

Now all Marvel needs to do is consolidate the various universes such that Xmen (et all) and Avengers (Including Hulk which appears to be a hold out for some contractual reason) can start piling on.

Unforunately that doesn't seem to be on the cards for Xmen at the moment, what with Fox still owning the rights and all. That's why I think Marvel started getting people used to the idea of the Inhumans by randomly throwing them in S.H.I.E.L.D, they make for a decent Xmenish substitute.

Here is a chart showing why we will never have a good Fantastic Four movie.

Gods I'm worried about the Deadpool movie, it should be fine if it's a standard action romp with Deadpool in it. It needs no love story, It needs no revelation that Deadpool is a hero, It needs niether Emopool nor Zenpool, all of those things should happen in sequels. This movie just needs Deadpool being funny, breaking the fourth wall and killing people, in a funny way.

Also Deadpool needs to look like Deadpool, meaning looking like somebody took a cheese grater to his face.
    Nonnahswriter
    I thought Lionsgate owned the movie rights on Punisher but maybe Marvel paid to get them back. If you haven't seen "Dirty Laundry", a short film that Thomas Jane and Ron Perlman put together, then track it down online.

They should update their graphic to include Guardians and to overlap Marvel with Sony, now that Spiderman is going to be part of the official MCU.
    SmilingSword

I thought Lionsgate owned the movie rights on Punisher but maybe Marvel paid to get them back. If you haven't seen "Dirty Laundry", a short film that Thomas Jane and Ron Perlman put together, then track it down online.

They should update their graphic to include Guardians and to overlap Marvel with Sony, now that Spiderman is going to be part of the official MCU.

Not my graphic, but will look for a update. Will definitely find "Dirty Laundry" anything Ron Perlman touches is gold.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Isn't Spiderman now a Marvel/Sony collaboration? Or did Marvel just buy it back?

Marvel not only bought back the Punisher and my all time favorite superhero Daredevil... but Punisher will appear in Daredevil Season 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mlnevese
    mlnevese said:

Isn't Spiderman now a Marvel/Sony collaboration? Or did Marvel just buy it back?

@mlnevese they both have the rights to Spider-Man but use him separately

"Marvel Studios won’t pay Sony Pictures for the rights to put Spider-Man in “Captain America: Civil War,” the “Avengers” franchise or its other superhero films, as part of its new partnership with the studio, according to sources with knowledge of the deal. At the same time, Marvel won’t receive a cut of the box office for any of Sony’s films that feature Spider-Man. Sony won’t receive a percentage of the revenue Disney makes from Marvel’s films that have Spider-Man, either."
    http://variety.com/2015/film/news/details-spider-man-appear-in-sony-and-marvel-movies-1201429039/
    mlnevese
    @SmilingSword - thanks for that pictorial representation. I 'think' that some of that is fluid. Certainly Spiderman is already confirmed as being in 'Civil War' which puts him in the MCU(ish). I know that this is a relatively new contract agreement and hopefully will help that ailing franchise. Don't get me wrong, I think there was a lot of potential from A-Spiderman 1. But A-Spiderman 2 was just not very good. (just now reading @booinyoureyes post, maybe mine is redundant).

I've also heard rumors (and yes just rumors with potentially zero credibility) that they are 'Trying' to consolidate the Xmen universe in with the larger MCU. That appears to be a longer term goal, and with the imminent departure of Hugh Jackman and the creation of the 'First Class' line, they may have a leg to bridge the gap. In any case, these are merely unsubstantiated (as far as I know) rumors and you know what that means.

Also, Hulk is kind of out in limbo somewhere, isn't he? MCU has the rights to make Avengers movies with him in it, but not to make stand alone stuff, right? Or has that changed?

I think it is interesting that Cloak and Dagger are listed in the pictorial. Is that somewhere in the offering? Seems kind of tangential as that was never a huge book, or at least it wasn't when I was young and still collecting comics. Has that changed?
    Ugh... this might sound surprising but I do NOT want the X-Men universe and the MCU to combine. I think the X-Men are better off alone and it would risk the convolution of a so-far nicely streamlined Marvel Universe.

It would just raise too many continuity questions. The X-Men franchise has already gotten confusing as it is with all the time travel and continuity changes.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744

Also, Hulk is kind of out in limbo somewhere, isn't he? MCU has the rights to make Avengers movies with him in it, but not to make stand alone stuff, right? Or has that changed?

IIRC, Marvel can make Hulk movies, but the previous rights holder still controls distribution (I think it's distribution), so Marvel wouldn't get as big a cut of the profits as they would making a movie w/ a character they wholly own/control. I gather if they make the Hulk a supporting cast member, they can retain all, or at least a higher percentage, of the profits.
    booinyoureyes

Marvel not only bought back the Punisher and my all time favorite superhero Daredevil... but Punisher will appear in Daredevil Season 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, good. From everything I have heard I really should watch that show.
    booinyoureyes
    Daredevil (the show, not the movie) on Netflix = AWESOMENESS. Can't wait for season 2.
    mlnevesebooinyoureyes

Ugh... this might sound surprising but I do NOT want the X-Men universe and the MCU to combine. I think the X-Men are better off alone and it would risk the convolution of a so-far nicely streamlined Marvel Universe.

It would just raise too many continuity questions. The X-Men franchise has already gotten confusing as it is with all the time travel and continuity changes.

Yeah the double Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch could be a problem, they could just call skrull though. The Xmen movies have been handled well since First Class, so I am really not too worried about them being brought back into the fold. Just as long as we all agree the first 3 movies don't actually exists and they were a sort of a worldwide mass hallucination, only not the happy kind. Wolverine Origins too for that matter, that movie made me angry. Why the hell would you take Deadpools mouth away, his nickname is merc with a mouth, it makes no sense.
    booinyoureyes

The Xmen movies have been handled well since First Class, so I am really not too worried about them being brought back into the fold. Just as long as we all agree the first 3 movies don't actually exists

Fortunately, the first three movies and Wolverine Origins no longer exist given that those events never happened, at least after 1974. Bryan Singer has become the first director to retcon himself.

the_spyderNonnahswriterSmilingSword
    I'll be honest, I enjoyed the first three X-Men movies more than the First Class ones, though they were all good. Wolverine: Origins was the only bad one of the bunch.
    I actually liked the first ... Ok, two movies. The third they made a total mess of the Dark Phoenix saga in just a really horrible manner. I'm not one of those that believe that you have to stick word for word to the comic story line, but really? That was WAY off the deep end.

For me it didn't get any better than 'Days of Future Past'. I always loved the original comic story and it got a really good treatment (personal/subjective) in my view. I am looking forward to age of Apocalypse. Shame Hugh will only be around for one more movie. I can't think of anyone who could take up that mantle with any sort of success.

BTW, did anyone catch (one of) the slips in DoFP where they go to pick up Quicksilver? Wanda is in the living room and her "Mother"??? tells her to go upstairs and play with her sister? There (a) should only be the two siblings and (b) according to both the comics and Avengers: Age of Ultron, they were not raised in a home/family environment. Ok, MCU and XmenU are different. Still, it seemed like a slip.

I think they killed off Quicksilver in MCU 'Because' they want him in the XmenU. That way they have at least one 'Twin' in each universe, and if they did want to consolidate them they could. I'm happy either way.
    booinyoureyesmeagloth
    On the first three Xmen movies, I think what really made me hate them was what they did to Rogue. First off I have deep seeded hatred for Anna Paquin, but I think that hatred might of started during the Xmen movies. They took Rogue and basically gave her the Jubilee role from the '90s TV show. She didn't have anything to do with Mystique or Miss Marvel. Gambit wasn't even in them so there goes the most interesting love story Xmen has.

Also Colossus didn't have a Russian accent.
    booinyoureyesthe_spyder
    I want a Cable movie, for the sole reason of having a Cable/Deadpool buddy cop movie at some point in the future.
    booinyoureyes

Also Colossus didn't have a Russian accent.

Accents have been a big problem for 20th Century Fox Marvel movies.

Storm is supposed to be East African, and her accent goes from American in the first film to Jamaican in the third.

Colossus goes from Russian to generic American

Rogue, despite Anna Paquin being capable of doing a decent southern accent in that horrendous True Blood show, somehow doesn't have a cool accent

And the WORST of all.... the ultimate Eastern European badass Dr. Doom, the ruler of Latveria which is supposed to border Romania and Hungary, somehow sounds like he grew up in Connecticut :angry::anguished:
    NonnahswriterSmilingSwordmlnevese
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    I have never seen a decent depiction of a Russian accent in any US film, so that's probably for the best. It is still a mystery to me why studios can't just find proper nationals when they need to depict a character from a certain part of the world.