Skip to content

The prince of demons

DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
I'm so tired of watchers keep..
Level 1- was perfectly fine.
Level 2- was quite interesting in its puzzles
Level 3-ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS? SPELL FAILURE ANDNO CASTING IN 2 ROOMS. 4 out of 6 characters on my team are at least magic heavy. A sorcerer, a wild mage, a mage/cleric, and a fighter/druid who uses a lot of self buffs against demons...
Level 4- was OK until I had to fight the guardians of the final seal.... I literally had to control y the siren group and the mage that kept cold coning my team. I couldn't hurt most'em....

The imprisoned one- how the fuck do you beat him. I didn't level set traps on imeon so I just can't spam traps. I tried to do of screen casting strategy I read about.only 1 ADHW hurt him out olmay cloudkills, ADHW, and IC... His magic resist was just too strong.

Tried direct confrontation, use mks to keep the other two demons at bay... Until he casted death, which killed them and then it was open season on Minsc and Jaheira.

Oh only Jaheira with the Spector scimitar seems capable of hurting him, with a full whopping of 2 damage, which doesn't matter since even if ADHW does land, he seems to heal back up shortly after. I've been spell triggering lower resistences, breaches, rrr, Pierce shield, spell strike...

I'm at my wits end here I can only assume I'm not equipped for the fight at all, and I wanted to end watchers keep before finishing SoA.

Charname- Sorcerer - 19
Armor- robe of vecna
Gauntlet- BoD ac4
Necklace- Amulet of power
Weapon- Sling of Eveready +5
Weapon- Staff of magi
Ring- ring of human influence
Ring- Ring of acuity
Boots- boots of Etherrealness
Belt- GGoU

Mimsc- level 20
Armor- PoB
Gauntlet- GoES
Helm- HoB
Necklace- PoPAP
Weapon- Angurvadal+4
Weapon- Lilarcor
Weapon- Sword of Chaos (until I get the sword that makes him immune to psionics
Ring- ring of regen
Ring- none
Boots- paws of the cheetah
Belt- Elves bane
Cloak- Cloak of mirrioring

Jaheira- 14/14
Armor- and platemail
Helm- Gift of Peace
Gauntlet- hands of Takkok
Necklace- None currently
Weapon- spectral Brand +4
Shield- Shield of Balduran
Ring- The guards Ring +2
Belt- Destroyer of the hills.

I've recently had some items just disappears off Jaheira.

Imeon- 18/7
Armor- None
Gauntlet- BoBS
Necklace- none
Weapon- Short Bow of Gesen
Weapon- changes depending on what's needed
Ring- none
Ring- none
Boots- Worn Whisper
Belt-none

I've always purposely left her empty, don't ask why, she just always felt like the least one who needed managing at all. I just give her a good boq, arrows, and invisibility spells and watch her play hide and seek.

Aerie- 16/14
Armor- robe of Invocation
Gauntlet- BoD ac6
Helm- Helm of the Noble+1
Necklace- Shield amulry
Weapon- Arla's Drsgonbane
Weapon- Cleric's Staff
Ring- Ring of the Ram
Boots- none
Belt- none
Cloak- none

Neera- 19
Armor- robe of goodman hayes
Gauntlet- BoD ac8
Necklace- metaspell influence amulet
Weapon- Erinne doing +4
Weapon- Quarterstaff +2
Ring- ring of earth control
Ring- none
Boots- none
Belt- none

I'm too lazy to type out her spell book or mine for that fact.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Why would you even fight this fine, two headed gentleman? Once released he makes for a great mail friend!
    cognoscentus
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited July 2015
    @Kamigoroshi Because I firmly believe in a statue of limitations . he has been there for some decades of seems, so I wanted to send him home.
    [Deleted User]
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well, that answers your problem, you are at demogorgon with a little over 3 000 000 xp, those later fights that you were control shift Y for are for characters that are in ToB with better gear and more XP, the time I get to the final seal im over 5 000 000 xp with ACs that are around -13 ( before buffing) and the time I get to demogorgon I have +4 and +5 weapons, the reason why you are getting your butt kicked is because you are under equipped and under experienced, yes you can go to watchers keep in SoA but basically only the first 3 or 4 levels is suited for SoA teams, and the rest is made for ToB teams, so you might have to come back in ToB to take out demogorgon when you have more levels and better equipment, but if you are adamant about fighting demogorgon with yours SoA team, here are some pointers;

you are going to need some potions for your melee'ers; potion of absorbtion ( this gives demo -10 to hit on you) potion of storm giant str ( you are direly going to need the to hit/to damage bonus) potion of magic shielding ( to give everyone a huge saving throw bonus so they can't fail the saves) potion of power ( for to hit bonuses plus bonus HP) potions of fortitude to crank the constitutions of your tanks to 18 if they aren't already ( for my HP boost)

spells to cast; protection from fire ( the level 3 mage spell, it has a longer duration than the cleric one) protection from magical energy ( just incase and for kicks) protection from evil 10' radius ( that combined with potion of absorbtion will give demo -12 to hit, and if your AC is around -10 or so he will actually start to miss on low numbers, and trust me, even if he misses on 2s and hits on 3s, that could be the difference between victory and defeat) improved haste on your main line warriors as well ( they desperately need those attacks per round) and have minsc and jaheira cast armor of faith which will give them damage resistance against demo's attacks plus have jaheira cast iron skins before battle, for summoning spells, use mordenkanin's sword ( don't know how to spell his name but you get the picture) and summon up 5 of them, that sword is basically indestructible and if you can lure demo to attack those that can save jaheira and minsc from taking damage

so after you find those potions ( venders in athkatla should have them - rogers in the sewers and the potion lady in the bridge district near the bottom left) and drink them up and cast all the protection spells ( make sure you cast and drink the potions with the longer durations first and the shorter durations last) here is what you need to do;

once he gets summoned you need to blast him with some breach spells, don't even bother with magic on this guy, he has 90% MR and no doubt some other whacky immune nonsense so just focus on hitting him with weapons, now weapons that are +3 and higher are the only thing that actually affect him, so no +2 or lower, if you have some +3 ammo left over that is the time to use it, also you will have to cast breach on him twice, once to get rid of AoFD ( hince the reason why he is so hard to hit) and he might have spell shield, so just have your casters nail him with breach spells ( breach dispels any protection spell that effects weapons from damaging a caster) there should have been some wands of spell striking in the tower so by all means use those on him ( and make sure its on "breach" mode, and not "pierce magic") now when you attack him, make sure not to be screwin around because he does regenerate, so hit him hard and hit him fast, and if you have potion of superior healing, by all means, use those when your HP is getting low and have aerie just constantly cast mast cure through the whole battle ( but make sure she is close enough to hit your melee guys but not to close to be hit by area affect spells from demo, or to close to baddies) now hopefully wish is one of the spells your sorcerer nows, and hopefully your wisdom is 18, if you have wish but don't have 18+ wisdom, go find a potion of wisdom and start casting wish like mad, and hopefully you will get some good ones like; hardiness on all characters, restoration on all characters, make it as if the whole party has rested and regained all their spells ( usefull for recasting wishes all over again in an infinite loop) BUT DO NOT chose the option that says double length timestop spell because demo is immune to timestop and will chunk your team, focus on wishes that heal/ help the defense of your team ( even the wish that casts breach on all enemies can be a good one as well)

so with that being said, if you drink those potions, casts those spells and if you can get some wishes off, that will be your best bet to beat him, if not, then you will have to come back in ToB with some better gear and more XP to stand a chance, but im pretty sure I could take him out with your group with this strategy I gave you, although it will probably still be tough
    FinneousPJ
    @sarevok57 I was afraid that was the case, so just finish up SoA and come back later in ToB. I'll emit that I don't like the idea of a fight of that caliber just bring so easily put on hold.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited July 2015
    You know that you can lower his MR with spells, right?
    With a lvl 19 Sorc you can actually even solo him easily, with the right set of spells.
    Try Lower Resistance, Pierce Magic and Pierce Shield. There is even a wand for Pierce Magic.
    If you find it hard, try to exploit the fog of war.
    Have fun!

You know that you can lower his MR with spells, right?
    With a lvl 19 Sorc you can actually even solo him easily, with the right set of spells.
    Try Lower Resistance, Pierce Magic and Pierce Shield. There is even a wand for Pierce Magic.
    If you find it hard, try to exploit the fog of war.
    Have fun!

I've been doing that.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    He is not immune to magical damage, so after you lowered his MR just nuke him with as many ADHW as possible.
    I don't know if he is immune to low level spells in the vanilla version, it is possible that at that point even a Magic Missle could hurt him.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    He's immune to spells below level 7, so Lower Resistance doesn't work on him. Breach actually does work, but it is the one exception to the rule. If you want to get his MR down, you need the spell Pierce Shield.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    If you can lower his MR enough then try to use Harm, which has no saving throw. The only drawback is that Harm requires the cleric to be able to successfully attack him; his AC is -12 so you will want to use spells like Righteous Might (I think that is the spell's name, the one that gives your cleric the same Thac0 as a fighter). Anyway, if you can hit him with a Harm and he can't resist it the fight is automatically over.
    Yannir said:

He's immune to spells below level 7, so Lower Resistance doesn't work on him. Breach actually does work, but it is the one exception to the rule. If you want to get his MR down, you need the spell Pierce Shield.

Really, because when I spell triggered 3 lower resistences it didn't say he was immune to it, it actually effected him, or so the text box said.
    Although he is immune to 1st and 2nd level spells, as well as Lower Resistance itself, he definitely vulnerable to Pierce Magic or Pierce Shield but those may not be the way to start off. No, use the cleric spell Magic Resistance because that will set it to some relatively low value and he won't be able to resist it with his natural 90.

Alternatively, I have always wanted to try this tactic and I never got around to it--combine Whirlwind or Greater Whirlwind with The Answerer, which lowers magic resistance by 15 per hit. 20th-level fighter (or higher), at least 18/00 strength, and specialized in longsword should be able to hit him 75% of the time and it would take only 6 hits during the first round to remove his resistance completely. You really only need to below 50, though, to minimize the likelihood that he can resist whatever you are trying to do so 3 or 4 hits should do it.
    Noobaccasemiticgoddess
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Mathsorcerer has the answer. Prep your cleric with Holy Power and have your fighter nail Demogorgon with the Answerer during Greater Whirlwind Attack. Once your fighter has gotten in at least 6 hits with the Answerer, Demogorgon's MR will be down to zero, and his AC will be roughly equal to your cleric's THAC0 with Harm. Your cleric may then hit Demogorgon with Harm, a near-guaranteed hit with no saving throw, and he'll be at 1 HP. Most anything will kill him after that--a reliable option would be Skull Trap.

This should take him down in two or three rounds. All you need is a fighter and a cleric.
    Noobacca
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited July 2015
    Hey you missed a level. Level 4 is the machine of Lum the mad, so the final seal business is one level down.

It goes:

1. slipper lich.

2. demon in a cage.

3. GODSDAMNED MAZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. mad machine

5. final seal, tests and such.

6. Smack a marilith and a monkey prince.
    cognoscentus
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited July 2015
    I completed Watcher's Keep last friday. I was yet to reach Amkethran, so I didn't intended to fight Demogorgon yet. But since his room-cage was the only missing in the temple, I thought "Well... I'll just go there to see him. He will probably destroy me in seconds, so I'll load state and meet him later".

(*I have Improved Domorgon from Ascension installed, and I play in Core difficulty.)

So, I talked to him for a while, but then I told him to show himself up and fight. He showed as soon as the dialogue was done, so the battle began without any preparation (with exception of Sarevok, who had Chaotic Commands on him from last room). My party was:

Oberon (Charname): Elf Berserker Lv. 27, two weapons (Black Razor / Angurvandal +4)
    Sarevok: Lv. 27, Ravager +6
    Korgan: Lv. 25, Crom Fayer and shield.
    Haer'Dalis: Lv. 23
    Viconia: Lv. 26
    Edwin: Lv. 22

Demogorgon casted Time Stop and invoked 5 or 6 demons (Balor, Marillith and 3 or 4 Glabrezu). A fire blasted in the middle of my party, Haer'Dalis got stunned (I guess it was Balor's work), and I watched Edwin and Viconia with less than 30% of HP. Sarevok being attacked by a lot of demons, passed 50%, even with Hardiness activated.

So I rushed directly to Demogorgon with Oberon, Sarevok and Korgan. Edwin casted Improved Alacrity, and hadn't lost concentration, even supporting so much damage. So I casted like 5 spells in half a round to dispell any protection the Prince of Demons could have, casted Improved Haste on Oberon, and 2 Dragon's Breath, 1 Comet and 2 Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting in the middle of the battle with the rest of the round.

Sarevok and Korgan activated Greater Whirlwind and Oberon (with 9 attacks per round) activated Critical Strike. All the 29 attacks aimed directly at Demogorgon. Sarevok was still enduring so much damage, almost with 90% of his portrait covered in red. Viconia had just healed herself, and now I was casting Heal on Sarevok... But damage was too high in so little time, and she would lost her spell. So I casted Limited Wish (had never used before) with Edwin, hoping to wish for healing the entire party, as Marilith conjured what it had seems to be Storm of Vengeance.

Demogorgon died in the 2nd round after his Time Stop has ended, and I tryed to kill the Marilith and the remaining Glabrezus before they kill Sarevok - Korgan exploded suddenly the Balor with some blows. Viconia and Edwin had theirs spells interrupted for Storm of Vengenace, so I would just hope to kill before die. The genie showed up still, and I wished to heal my entire party... But I don't know if it hadn't worked, or if he healed just a little, since everyone was still very hurt.

So, as Sarevok released a Critical Deathbringer Assault (20 on dice, +200 damage) on Marillith, I killed every remaining demon after the 3rd round after Demogorgon's Time Stop expired. It was an incredibly fast but also a very fierce battle. Really great scene.
    Post edited by Vitor on
    Grumronaldo

Hey you missed a level. Level 4 is the machine of Lum the mad, so the final seal business is one level down.

It goes:

1. slipper lich.

2. demon in a cage.

3. GODSDAMNED MAZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. mad machine

5. final seal, tests and such.

6. Smack a marilith and a monkey prince.

I skipped lun the mad in pupose, it really wasn't that great, especially coming AFTER that damn maze.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Vitor: Now *that* is how epic level battles should go. Explosively violent and damned quick.
    Vitor
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I sympathise with you because TOB doesn't actually exist, so I have to treat watchers keep as some bonus dungeon at the end of the game. but I rarely do it until ch6 or later, it is supposed to be for high level parties
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Vitor That's been my experience with Demo as well. Usually the fight takes only a few rounds.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827

I skipped lun the mad in pupose, it really wasn't that great, especially coming AFTER that damn maze.

But that level has good old Saladrex and a freaking Demi Lich.
    I ignored that damn demilich! I'm still struggling with kagraxx...

I give my mage a staff and make sure he's in kagraxx face with spell immunity, but the ones who can hurt him at my melee swuad, and the second they come into range, he switches to them so boom. Spell immunity is pointless when he switches targets. Tried protection from undead, but again, boom he just focuses the ones not protected. Until I can come up with a way to hold his attention on the Sorcerer with spell immunity or until I'm given a way to join lichdom, fuck all demiliches.
    SmilingSword
    @DragonKing: Use a Protection from Magic scroll on the demi-lich himself. That should block all outgoing spells. If you're in SoA still, you can buy enough scrolls of Protection from Undead at the Adventurer's Mart and the temples of Helm, Lathander, and Talos to make your entire party invisible to him. There are over 10 scrolls total, if my memory is correct.

Korgan when raging is immune to imprisonment, and you only need one melee attacker with a +4 or +5 weapon to hit Kangaxx. Protect that one character and let the others get imprisoned. When the battle is over, you can cast Freedom, via a scroll if necessary, and recover them.
    SmilingSword
    Against demiliches I use Spell Turning + Haste/Improved Haste + Melf's Minute Meteors. I concur with @semiticgod, though--the best way to deal with problematic undead is Scroll of Protection from Undead. Even liches can't dispel or breach your protection because they can't see you to target you.
    I remember reading that there are only 4/undead scrolls in the whole game, and when I fight kagaxx I only had two, with so I still lost more them half my team, plus my team since things like petrification and imprisonment treats the character as if the player chose to remove them from the team, ending the romance.

With that said, I finally beat the demon prince at level 23, and I'm not proud of it since I had to rape my R key to do it. There were 4 rematches.

The first was the closest I got, and ironically I didn't use any cheats, but one simply screw up killed me.

I had split my party in 2, putting charname and Neera on one side, and everyone else with 4 mks on the other. I had chain conteng 3 Pierce shields on charname and 2 of them chained with a breach on Neera. Minsc initiated the dialogue which started the fight which made the other two demons get summoned away from charname and Neera.

I didn't notice that the chains actually went off, since things actually happened very fast in the dialogue box, so I was confused on why they didn't activate, but instead of checking at first, I casted improved alacrity followed up by (yea I know it doesn't work on him, but I wasn't thinking clearly at the time), time stop. So now only charname and demo were moving, but this turned out to be the best thing, because I hit home with 2 more pierced Shields, followed by 5-6 ADHW. By the time the time stop was over, he was at near death. Unfortunately by the time time stop ended, Minsc and Jaheira were both dead.

Now, what happened next? Well Imeon and Aerie might as well been Japanese porn stars because they were barely seconds away from the tentacle rape that demo had in stored for them. I had casted my last 2 ADHW but while they hurt, they didn't kill him, and like a idiot, I didn't memorize the spell on Neera, and I didn't have time to get both, or even one chaos shield up (forgot to peep it before hand, I kinda expected to loss, hell getting him to near death shockes me). So as you guessed, the only level 1 spell I had her memorized only was successful 2 out of Six tries to at casting ADHW, which still didn't kill him. This was also after I had summoned planetar since Imeon and Aerie were practically even more dead then my love life.

Neera really had nothing but hard cc that demo was immune to, like web and chaos, and after my Sorcerer ran out of level 8, 9, and 10 spells; it was just a matter of time intill my defense were taken down and Neera and Charname died together while kissing one last time, it was so romantic.

The other three were anywhere near as epic, mostly because they lacked a time stop being cast. Don't get me wrong, Minsc and Jaheira still died, a lot, but ctrl +R kinda made their sacrifice pointless.

With that said also, I really must say, I stand behind a statement I made in another topic of mine. The Sorcerer is soooooo much easier to play then the mage. >.>, especially when you know what the spells do. I can only imagine the game becoming easy mode with him for someone who knows the game and its mechanics inside out.

I remember reading that there are only 4/undead scrolls in the whole game, and when I fight kagaxx I only had two

Two scrolls are at Ribald, and two scrolls are at the bookseller in the Promenade. There are only 4 in the Promenade. Another two are found at each temple in the Temple District. Unless some mod has changed them, there are at least 10 scrolls in the game.
    edited July 2015

I remember reading that there are only 4/undead scrolls in the whole game, and when I fight kagaxx I only had two

Two scrolls are at Ribald, and two scrolls are at the bookseller in the Promenade. There are only 4 in the Promenade. Another two are found at each temple in the Temple District. Unless some mod has changed them, there are at least 10 scrolls in the game.
    well I'll remember that for my third run against the effer. I only have a a few days before summer ends and I'm back and college. I'm dreading yet another art history class -.-

But I think I'm dreading my water color painting class even more.

Anyways, I want to do one more run and I obviously won't have time to do a full trilogy run, so I'm trying to to decide if I want to import this Sorcerer and use keeper to switch out ita spells to be more support oriented, or import my wild mage, bit this time, make him neutral, put his rep back at 12, and either rune a generalist mage or try to role play with the necromancer kit. Running into Szass Tam kinda has me wanting to roleplay a necromancer trying to attain lichdom again.

That and I want to dance Jaheira, from what I've read hers seem to be the most event triggered romance of them all.