Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Fardragon said:

Storming the front gates isn't usually the smartest plan...

I climbed up the vines....
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Fardragon said:

Storming the front gates isn't usually the smartest plan...

But quite in character if you're playing a typical barbarian raider :wink:
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002

I'm surprised you couldn't go up to the front and ask to talk to the king. I mean, as far as they know, you aren't a bad guy.

I actually liked this part very much, because the guy's a ruthless tyrant who has done terrible things and who's obviously paranoid and insane. He's the target of a revolution that aims to overthrow and kill him. I think it makes absolute sense that he does not let strangers get close to him.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    After a couple of dry runs I'm finally making some progress on this game (I think I restarted Baldur's Gate at least ten times before finally finishing it, so I'm ahead of the curve here.) I'm still trying to sort out some of the mechanics, but the quests and character interactions are really fun and engaging. I've still only gotten into Act II, but I'm a lot farther along than in previous tries. My biggest complaint is the loading times are still pretty terrible, which is really slowing down the pace of the game. It's fine, though. I'm taking my time and enjoying the scenery. And aside from a couple of larger town areas (especially Copperlane where my FPS drop considerably) it runs really well even on my crappy laptop pc. Looking forward to the expansion and accompanying patch to the base game...and hopefully future games in the PoE world.
    What armor are you guys putting on which character? I have my cipher in robes, because it feels right, but armor seems to have almost no disadvantage.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @meagloth I ended with most of my party in heavy armor...
    meagloth said:

What armor are you guys putting on which character? I have my cipher in robes, because it feels right, but armor seems to have almost no disadvantage.

Funny you should ask. I was just thinking I have been mostly ignoring my characters' armor. I put on the first decent thing I found and forgot about it. I'm only playing on normal difficulty, but it seems like enemies other can't hit my chars or they totally rip through them. One of the things I'm having trouble coming to grips with is the various damage types and resistances/reductions. I've been more interested in the story than all the ins and outs of combat. Probably on a second play through I'll actually sit down and figure all that stuff out.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    There are some hidden combos that work well together with armor. For instance, breastplates are weak against fire and cold. Lo and behold, pale elves have 10 resist bonus to fire and cold. Suddenly, it seems there is no weakness to the breastplate for that character.

I'm a fan of the heavier armors (I think putting chanters, fighters, paladins and clerics in plate makes sense), but for wizards, rangers, rogues and barbarians I like to have speed. Still haven't messed around with ciphers or druids really. Anyhow, if the class is heavy damage-dealing I prefer those hits to rain down hard and fast. Sometimes you get knocked out (especially the barbarian), but generally before you do you rip through several enemies and you've done your job.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    meagloth said:

Armour slows down attack and casting rate significantly. If your character is going to be taking hits, put them in the heaviest armour available. If they are going to be on the back row casting spells or using ranged (or reach) weapons, put them in the lightest armour available. Look for other useful bonuses, such as the AoE buff on Aloth's robe. Medium armour is pretty useless.

Given certain creatures tendency to teleport and attack casters, it's sometimes a good idea for your casters to slip on a suit of heavy armour before facing enemies of that type.
    Yeah I kinda did a test where I put a few of my characters in different armor and had them attack random stuff and cast spell just so I could get a good look at it. I put the one ranger dwarf In a robe, and she stabbed holes in everything real quick. In plate... She moved really fast. There was like a .5 second difference between attacks. Then I put my cipher in a robe and he could cast spell back to back. NO delay between one and the next. I put him in plate... And there was maybe a half second delay.
    But it doesn't matter anyway, because in a battle situation my cipher runs out of focus. There is a mandated pause between spells, so why would I put him in anything less than the heavy armor?
    I NEED AN EXCUSE FOR MY MAGE TO WEAR A ROBE, GODDAMNIT!

Seriously though, there should be a bigger disadvantage to full plate. They should have sizes, and it should get damaged to you can't pick it off every dead body. Chainmail would have more flexible sizes(and be less expensive to repair or resize) which would be a big, obvious difference. More real-world problems like this would make the game much more immersive. So would a realistic inventory. Right now, if I'm honest, it kinda feels like skyrim.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I think you are significantly underestimating the effect of armour on the recovery time, and your cypher needs to attack quickly as conventional attacks restore focus.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited July 2015
    meagloth said:

But it doesn't matter anyway, because in a battle situation my cipher runs out of focus. There is a mandated pause between spells, so why would I put him in anything less than the heavy armor?

There's a recovery time between actions which is affected by your armor. Your cipher regains focus in combat by dealing damage to enemies with a weapon (they're great with firearms on the back line). Heavy armor slows down your recovery time between every action from casting spells to attacking, and overall the character will put out significantly less damage in heavy armor. In other words that "pause between spells" is increased significantly in heavy armor and focus is mainly regenerated through dealing damage with a weapon which will also be slowed down when wearing heavier armor.
    edited July 2015
    jaysl659 said:

meagloth said:

There's a recovery time between actions which is affected by your armor. Your cipher regains focus in combat by dealing damage to enemies with a weapon (they're great with firearms on the back line). Heavy armor slows down your recovery time between every action from casting spells to attacking, and overall the character will put out significantly less damage in heavy armor. In other words that "pause between spells" is increased significantly in heavy armor and focus is mainly regenerated through dealing damage with a weapon which will also be slowed down when wearing heavier armor.
    I guess that's an argument against the arbalest he has equipped right now... I've got him in that shiney blue gambeson At the moment.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited July 2015
    Arbalest is fine, the weapon choice is all about what you have the cipher doing and where she/he's positioned. Armor is always gonna be a trade off, but for damage dealers in Pillars there are some definite disadvantages to heavy armor, and ciphers in particular who might need to attack and recover quickly in combat to regain focus. I generally never had my cipher is anything with more than 15% recovery slowdown (and mostly just used enchanted clothing with 0%) but it all depends on how you want to play the character.

EDIT: the reason I like firearms is because they punch through damage reduction well and, since I keep my ciphers near the back, firearms are a good weapon for making sure you're consistently dealing damage to regain focus.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Well, okay. To get more specific, I like hide for barbarians, padded (or lighter) for most other damage dealers, and breastplate or heavier for anyone who doesn't have a strict damage-dealing job.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited July 2015
    I go heavy armour on fighters and chanters "also paladins, but paladins suck", leather and anything lighter on everybody else. Unless the armour is really cool looking, then recovery speed be damned, I'm using it.

When I played Cypher, I never even considered putting him anywhere but the front, he was my main damage dealer, duel wielding clubs. Thing is he was never really in danger after about level 3 or 4, because he got that fast casting AOE stun. So fights went AOE stun attack, by the end of the first stun he could cast anything, he could perma stun most battles if I was feeling cheesey.
    PoE builds feel so weird sometimes, like a INT/DEX barb is way stronger that a MIT/CON barb. INT seems to be the most useful stat there is and CON the most useless.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Yeah, one of the big lessons from PoE for me is that classes need to be dependent on lore-appropriate or common sense attributes, or you will end up with strength wizards and intelligence barbarians. I mean, a character having weird attributes is fine as a character trait, but the game needs a cohesive system to base everything else on, or it will all feel messy and... wrong.
    From what I understand, the devs are addressing some of the stat weirdness and adding immunities into the next patch which should be out at the same time as the expansion pt. 1. "Soon."
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    I tried to like this one, but when my characters are barely scratching the surface of what they're capable of, it leads to frustration for me. What I mean is that characters barely see 10% of their spells and abilities, if that. Sometimes keeping it simple is better.
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    Jidokwon said:

I tried to like this one, but when my characters are barely scratching the surface of what they're capable of, it leads to frustration for me. What I mean is that characters barely see 10% of their spells and abilities, if that. Sometimes keeping it simple is better.

Try other difficulty level maybe?
  • JidokwonJidokwon Member Posts: 395
    edited July 2015
    Changing to another difficulty level doesn't change character design at all. Characters are still barely seeing 10%, if that, of their potential.

What I mean as that you don't need to play a class ten times or more in Baldur's Gate to explore the class spells and abilities. I get that they want replayability, but in Pillars a character won't reach 10% of their potential.
    edited August 2015
    Jidokwon said:

Changing to another difficulty level doesn't change character design at all. Characters are still barely seeing 10%, if that, of their potential.

What I mean as that you don't need to play a class ten times or more in Baldur's Gate to explore the class spells and abilities. I get that they want replayability, but in Pillars a character won't reach 10% of their potential.

Wait what? I don't get it, wizards yeah sure you can only pick so many spells per level and there are only so many spells books that can be found in the game, "mostly on corpses" for you to learn extra spells from. Most other spell casters act like sorcerers/clerics having access to everything all the time.

Are you per chance talking about the talent trees everybody gets? Like the offense/defense/theonenobodyuses trees they have? I personally like those trees, like if I want to make a tank, they are getting class abilities + defense talents and maybe just maybe a point in weapon skill.

Or are you talking about class abilities, because there are definitely not enough of those to warrant more than maybe two playthroughs and this only really applies to Cipher and Chanter, where you have to do a lot of pick and choosing. Anyway if you really want to see which build is for you, then console your toon to lvl12, give yourself a bunch of cash and go hire adventurers, they will be lvl 11. So there you can test any build you want.
    PoE expansion "the white march" release date announced out on the 25th of August.

http://eternity.obsidian.net/news/pillars-of-eternity-the-white-march---part-1-release-date-announced

Also Beta patch 2.0 out now, gives solo stealth and party AI. Yay for scripts!!!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    That sounds like something the KKK might organize.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355

PoE expansion "the white march" release date announced out on the 25th of August.

http://eternity.obsidian.net/news/pillars-of-eternity-the-white-march---part-1-release-date-announced

Also Beta patch 2.0 out now, gives solo stealth and party AI. Yay for scripts!!!

It also brings back the mouse-lag I had in early beta. ... *scratches head*