Skip to content

Petition add kits to vanilla NPCs.

SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
edited July 2015 in Feature Requests
Since it seems to petition season, here is mine.
Just to add more flavor to the series, especially BG1 and also so I don't have to manually do it to every second NPC that joins me.

There are many good opportunities for NPC's to get kits, all lore friendly too.

-Safana is a swashbuckler.

-Monty is a assassin.

-Kivan could be a Archer.

-Kagian could very well be a dwarven defender.

-Faldorn a avenger or a shifter.

-Ajantis would probably be an inquisitor in training because he studied under Keldorn.

-Hexxat should be a shadow dancer.

and many more more could be argued for.
  1. Petition add kits to vanilla NPCs.53 votes
    1. Yes this would be a welcome addition.
      54.72%
    2. No vanilla is sacred, stop being lazy and just do it yourself.
      30.19%
    3. I don't care.
      15.09%

Comments

• OzzyBotkinsOzzyBotkins Member Posts: 396
    Nice idea I like it. But I think Beamdog has a agreement not to change any of the original content
    I am pretty sure that it can be done using EEKeeper
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Wait, doesn't swashbuckler get rid of backstab? Isnt backstab her strong point? Why would you get rid of that?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Montaron is multi-class characters, so no kit for him. Also, I don't think it's going to be implemented officially, regardless of what I think of your proposition.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I don't mind adding kits to BG1 NPCs, since they were made before kits were implemented, but I don't think BG2 NPCs should be given kits. They could've been made with kits and they weren't, after all.
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    Montaron would be a fine Fighter/Assassin. At any rate. Yes kits for NPCs are most welcome. Vanilla is far from sacred. This change is muy importante.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    There's a mod called Level 1 NPCs by @Miloch that could do this, but its not compatible with the Enhanced Editions yet because its reportedly a pain in the ass to update.
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
    Flashburn said:

There's a mod called Level 1 NPCs by @Miloch that could do this, but its not compatible with the Enhanced Editions yet because its reportedly a pain in the ass to update.

Yes there is, but default game changes are better.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I think most of those are overkill and don't fit the flavor of a lot of the characters. Not everybody should get a kit, or they're nothing special over regular classes. Kivan as an archer and Hexxat as a shadow dancer I could get behind. Hexxat seriously should have gotten a kit. What needs to happen is Branwen as a Priest of Tempus.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Branwen is about the only change I would want to see regarding kits. I don't really see any strong evidence for anyone else to be one kit or another.
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    I'm with @DrHappyAngry , not everyone should get a kit but some definitely should. Would also like to see Minsc as a barbarian or berserker and not a ranger but maybe that's just me.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

I'm with @DrHappyAngry , not everyone should get a kit but some definitely should. Would also like to see Minsc as a barbarian or berserker and not a ranger but maybe that's just me.

It's not just you. :wink:

I'd also really like to see Branwen as an actual priest of Tempus instead of just a cleric that worships Tempus.

Hexxat as a shadowdancer would be cool, though I prefer to make her an assassin since, in my opinion, it matches her character better.

I'd rather see Coran made into an archer rather than Kivan, since Kivan is actually pretty good with halberds and Dat STR Stat. Course, that gets rid of Coran's thieving abilities, so it's a double-edged sword.

For some reason, Kagain strikes me as too lazy to become a dwarven defender. XD But man he would be SO BOSS if he did.

Safana, Monty, Faldorn, and Ajantis could all stay the same and it wouldn't matter to me.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Not only should the NPCs NOT get any kits, ALL the kits should just be removed if they can't do a better job implementing them then is currently the case.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited August 2015
    I don't think vanilla is sacred, but personally I believe that kits should only be added if there were a roleplaying reason to do so. For instance, I don't think that safana is flamboyant enough to be a swashbuckler, eldoth is too manipulative to suddenly become a less words- more sword spinning Blade , garrick has no nordic valor to be a skald or the wit and joker personality of a jester and kagain shows no signs of dwarven defender conduct, therefore I don't agree with them having kits just for the sake of making use of special abilities.
    On the other hand, it makes sense for kivan to be an archer, and faldorn sure looks like an avenger druid.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    While I do really like the idea of NPCs having kits (and approve of all @SmilingSword 's suggestions on the kits) I think this is perhaps best handled individually through eekeeper or mods. I often make Garrick a jester and Safana a swashbuckler, but my interpretation of their character might be different than someone else's.

We have several simple methods of customizing our own games without making it the "official" product and I think that might be for the better, as everyone can match their own preferences.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Hudzy said:

Branwen is about the only change I would want to see regarding kits. I don't really see any strong evidence for anyone else to be one kit or another.

I largely agree, except I would argue that Faldorn's entire persona and purpose is consistent with that of an avenger. Beyond that, I agree that any changes would be predicated largely on personal interpretations and/or preferences, and may even alienate many fans of the original NPCs (i.e: changing Safana to a swashbuckler would disappoint anyone who normally uses her for backstabbing).
    DJKajuru said:

On the other hand, it makes sense for kivan to be an archer, and faldorn sure looks like an avenger druid.

Even changing Kivan to an archer would alienate any players who imagine him as being a daring front-line warrior-type (due to his 18-plus str) rather than someone who simply hides in the shadows and snipes from afar.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Indeed , that would limit his close combat skill. But historically, longbow archers are supposed to be very strong in order to pull the string correctly, and that's how I see Kivan's strength being applied.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Moving this thread to Feature Requests. Carry on!

(The likelihood of kits being added to NPCs, beyond those that clarify a character's existing affiliations--there has been talk of giving Branwen the Cleric of Tempus kit, for example--is pretty small, but as with any content-related request, this can and should be viewed as opportunities for modders to take the reins on things they would like to see in the game.)
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited August 2015
    I have no idea if this will work, but I've tried to create an override file to make Safana a Swashbuckler, with all the appropriate changes: hope it works!

(For best results, use BG2 Tweaks - ToB-Style NPCs to set her skill points however you like)

If anyone better at this than me wants to give it a try, let's stop talking about what we want to see and start doing it!
    Here's Montaron as an Assassin, from the BG2 Tweak Pack:

I tried to make Faldorn an Avenger - 2 points off STR and CON, and I know I probably screwed up the spells and HP but hopefully it'll all work out when you level her up...
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    shawne said:

I tried to make Faldorn an Avenger - 2 points off STR and CON, and I know I probably screwed up the spells and HP but hopefully it'll all work out when you level her up...

While it may sound a bit harsh, Faldorn's stats are crappy enough to begin with where I don't think the stat penalties of her being an Avenger need to be tacked on top of her already low stats. I think it'd be fine just making her an Avenger ignoring the heavy stat penalties a player character would normally endure.

While it may sound a bit harsh, Faldorn's stats are crappy enough to begin with where I don't think the stat penalties of her being an Avenger need to be tacked on top of her already low stats. I think it'd be fine just making her an Avenger ignoring the heavy stat penalties a player character would normally endure.

Ehhh, it's the rules. She gets to keep Summon Dread Wolf because that's her special ability, but I don't want to mess around too much with the character design as such...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Ajantis always struck me as a Cavalier and not Inquisitor. Just because he studied under Keldorn doesn't mean he studied the ways of the Inquisitor.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Ajantis seems okay with no kit. Generic Paladin suits him fine. Others like Monty, Kivan, and Faldorn cry out for a kit.
  • IliusIlius Member Posts: 5
    I can't believe I'm the first to say Shar-Teel should be a barbarian, and maybe a Cleric of Shar kit for Viconia...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.