Skip to content

Is this Isometric gaming?

I love the Infinity Isometric style but do you think it's a little dated? I mean should Beamdog go the full 3D experience like the Witcher and Skyrim, I know it's hard to control 6 characters viewing from the protagonist view in 3D but coming into 2016 I think it's time for a new outlook so the company can keep making games for the future in this fast paced gaming industry.

Comments

• Crytek7Crytek7 Member Posts: 23
    Shandyr said:

Just a little question: Have you heard of Pillars of Eternity?

Yeah I checked it out, Looks interesting and heard great things about it but I am wondering why the developers for BG3 or Dragonspear would go Isometric, did they say If it ain't broke, don't fix it? I am going to try out POE soon after the EE versions to give the real feel of D&D.
    Arcanis said:

Actually.. I think staying ismoetric is a smart move.
    Beamdog is a small company, there is no way they can keep up with the big-budget graphic of
    triple-A games, so having an unusual graphic will prevent comparisation.

Also, isometric has 2 other benefits:
    It ages much better than full 3D and you need less hardware resources.
    ..At least if it is not Pillars of Eternity..
    Anyways, being able on low-hardware computers widens the possible buyers.

True! I like the old-school style but I think it's taken way to long for this BG3 project to get off the ground because of risk taking and the way the industry is to day.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    edited August 2015
    I like the isometric view perspective for my party based games generally. However, I feel that 3D first/thirdperson perspective RPG's are more immersive, but trade off tactical/strategy elements for that.

NWN2 has probably been my favorite RPG in terms of visual style, combining 3D and isometric fairly well (other than some camera issues).

I think something like XCOM: Enemy Unknown could work well also. With recent DirectX and OpenGL hardware features available, 3D graphics can scale fairly well with hardware now, so adding that to XCOM style engine could be great.

That doesn't mean that 2D is dead though. 2D done properly (lots and lots of sprites and animations) can have much better detail than 3D, but it's more expensive to produce properly than you'd expect.

So, personally, I don't think Isometric is dated, and there's definitely a place for it.
    meagloth said:

Well, in the case of siege of dragonspear specifically there are quiet a few reasons.
    First off it's not bg3. It's and expansion to bg1. They're not going to have the last 30 hours of the game be in 3D. That would be very strange. And jarring. And awful.
    Secondly they don't really have the resources. Beamdog does not have a 500 person graphics team. To make a 3D game that stands up against things like destiny or dragon age would be impossible. We as a community represent an pretty small niche market. And it WOULD have to stand up again big name games. Why would they bother if they couldn't. No one wants to buy a new game that already looks 7 years old.

And what it boils down to is no one really wants that. People don't play baldurs gate for the graphics. I'm very confident the large majority of people on this forum would rather have and isometric game over a 3D game anyway. Most of us still play 3D games, but we play baldurs gate for different reasons.
    BG3 would be another argument, but frankly I'd be skeptical of a 3D continuation, and I think a lot of people will back me up on that. Baldurs gate is an isometric game. That's what it is now and i, at least would like it to stay that way.

Yeah I understand, good point..
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited August 2015
    Crytek7 said:

I love the Infinity Isometric style but do you think it's a little dated?

I'm that die hard fan of the Isometric style, so it won't become dated for me ever.

I love the BG style and appreciate a lot what Beamdog is doing with polishing things.

But there're modern versions of the Isometric style too, PoE and future Torment: Tides of Numenera are the best examples. Just watch a video of TToN and see how many possibilities are there with the Isometric style:

https://torment.inxile-entertainment.com/#

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2r4lvv

To me, the Isometric style RPG is the best possible option.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    You forgot Divinity: Original Sin.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Fardragon said:

You forgot Divinity: Original Sin.

You are right. It was unintentional. I liked that one, except the final battle which i couldn't win :(
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    No. Frickin. Way.

Isometric > 3D
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I think I would be deeply depressed if any Baldur's Gate game lost it's isometric perspective. . . It's so much of what makes Baldur's Gate on the PC awesome. Party management is beautiful, it's aged rather gracefully, it's easy on the system requirements, doesn't have any camera control issues, I can see everything I need to at a glance, the UI is neat and tidy and it's not too big that it interferes with the game space. I'm a sucker for the isometric 2D view.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CaloNord said:

I think I would be deeply depressed if any Baldur's Gate game lost it's isometric perspective. . . It's so much of what makes Baldur's Gate on the PC awesome. Party management is beautiful, it's aged rather gracefully, it's easy on the system requirements, doesn't have any camera control issues, I can see everything I need to at a glance, the UI is neat and tidy and it's not too big that it interferes with the game space. I'm a sucker for the isometric 2D view.

I agree, I was just wondering this game takes place in between 1 and 2? how is this possible? will you have the same characters or is this a newline storyline?
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Just wait and find out
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    Remember Dark Alliance.

I know that was mean and really I'm so sorry I had to do that to you, but that malignant polyp on a pig's testicle is what happens to BG when it's made into a 3D game.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

Isometric games had a comeback since 2012:
    Pillars of Eternity (funded via Kickstarter), Beamdog's games (modders make up about 50% of the developers), Wasteland 3 (Kickstarted), Shadowrunner (Kickstarted), Torment: Tides of Numenera (Kickstarted).

You also forgot to mention Diablo 3. Among the few big budget AAA games that came out recently with Isometric view.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    Ther *is* no Diablo 3.
    Blizzard stopped that after Diablo 2 has shown to be a mixed bag, it lost much atmosphere from
    it predecessor u_u
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited August 2015

Remember Dark Alliance.

I know that was mean and really I'm so sorry I had to do that to you, but that malignant polyp on a pig's testicle is what happens to BG when it's made into a 3D game.

Heartless murderer of my dreams. I remember playing that with my fiancee, she would let me fight while she stole ALL the bloody loot.
    Crytek7 said:

I agree, I was just wondering this game takes place in between 1 and 2? how is this possible? will you have the same characters or is this a newline storyline?

It's only a fairly short story, like Throne of Bhaal. It's designed to show you what happens in the time between you saving Baldur's Gate from Sarevoks plots up to the time you're captured by Irenicus. It will have the same PC and many of the NPC's from the original as well as some new ones just for this. Though I do have to wonder if we'll see some of these new NPC's, kits and items in BGIIEE in the future as well. . . I certainly hope so. :)
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Faydark said:

@decado Minor quibble, but I think you could be confusing "rendering style" with "view type".

Rendering styles:
    2D = historically, bitmaps blitted (copied) into a back buffer (image). These days, it's the same idea, but done with polygon quads to take advantage of GPU hardware.

3D = polygon (or alternately, voxel) models, rendered into a back buffer.

Common view styles:
    Isometric = BG etc. 3/4 top down view. Usually fixed camera orientation, though often has zoom in/out and sometimes rotation about the target point.

First Person = "looking out from the eyes of a character into the world"

Third Person = "above and behind the character, camera turns in direction of character facing"

There's no reason these can't be combined, though 2D First person is pretty rare.. ;)

2D Isometric > 3D anything is probably what you meant.

Thank you for being the one to finally bring this up. It was almost painful.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Divinity, original sins... That is all!!!

Remember Dark Alliance.

Hate to break it to this community, but I liked dark alliance, and I played it AFTER bg1. Hell I didn't even bother to try and connect the two until I read all the hatred for a game that most people hated because it did follow the same formula as BG...
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Some early 1st person games (Doom, Wing Commander) used 2D sprites.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    @Fardragon Indeed they did, but the games themselves were not 2D, the sprites scaled based on distance from the camera, giving it a (pseudo) 3D perspective. That style is generally termed "2.5D".
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    I agree that Isometric is the better approach for this type of game. Games like dragon age while fun in their own right, just arnt built for the micro managing of a full party the way old-school isometric RPG's are. I find myself getting confused moving around the battlefield and keeping track of where each character is far too often to make it ideal.
  • NaveenNaveen Member Posts: 81
    No, I think it's a waste of resources better invested in game mechanics, story, good pixelated fan service (that's really important), etc. With current almost photorealistic graphics, you need to have huge teams to design such important objects as cupboards, random junk and dynamic shrubs. I don't really think it's worth the effort. Besides, in a team-based rpg you need to capture the tabletop feeling. Isometric is perfect for that.

If I was beamdog, I'd go full 2d isometric (or similar), including what they did with Neverwinter Nights: release an excellent and easy-to-use editor, create the game following a modular easy-to-mod design, and let the fans create their own (this time) isometric adventures, upload them in some sort of steam workshop, etc.