Skip to content

Widescreen - Can You Go Without?

dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
I started a play-through on the old, charming, vanilla Icewind Dale earlier today, without the widescreen mod, keeping a nice 4:3 scaled picture. It honestly isn't as bad as I remembered it being; in fact, on my monitor (1920x1080) having the widescreen mod makes the game harder to behold. So it got me thinking: do you need widescreen resolution to play Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate or any old game? Is it worth it for 3rd person games (e.g. KotOR)? What do you think?
  1. Widescreen - Can You Go Without?19 votes
    1. Yes, I can endure the stretching.
      31.58%
    2. No, the resolution must be full!
      68.42%

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I am on an 21:9 monitor (2560x1080). Most games I have installed are tolerable when stretched, a good amount only play in 4:3 and the minority displays full 21:9 Support. It's almost laughtable that Morrowind has better ultra widescreen compatibility than Skyrim!

So for me; full 21:9 support -> stretched fullscreen -> 4:3 resolution.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I play window mode so....
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I often reset my desktop screen to accommodate the resolution of the game I'm playing but I don't mind some stretching of the screen. Most games give the black borders to keep the aspect ratio of the game.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    Yes, got no problem playing older games with a lower resolution.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    It's not exactly a big issue, considering I spent most of my childhood playing games on 'full screen' TVs and computers.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    In my old monitor things were just fine. Now that I've bought a bigger one it's either the widescreen option or very compressed little characters.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Doh, I clicked the wrong button, and shame on me for drinking and posting ;)

It's not always just the stretching, sometimes the hud, fonts and other interface elements just do not scale up on higher resolutions, and the wide screen mods are necessary to install the fixes (I'm looking at you KOTOR, somebody get Aspyr to fix it and port it to linux). Even then, I still find myself running some games at 1080p on a 4k monitor because the interface doesn't scale at all. It's a bit sad when a game released in 2015 (Civilization Beyond Earth as an example) and doesn't do any scaling, when games like Fallout 3 have perfect interface scaling. This is an area that I do have to hand it to beamdog, they've done a great job with interface scaling.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Widescreen?
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    @semiticgod Rather, a resolution not originally supported by the original games. I just used the Widescreen Mod as a stepping point for the title.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Eh no. I didn't spend $600 on this widescreen monitor to play a game in pan and scan.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    No. I use a 51" TV and surround sound, kinda need it. . .