Skip to content

Where has Baldur's Gate been all my life?

Greetings!

I've been using these forums as a point of reference, so it's good to finally introduce myself. I'm 41 years old, and I'm playing BG for the first time. It's not that I'm just getting into PC gaming (MUDs, Mystery Fun House, King's Quest I, and on and on), it's just that Heroes of Might and Magic had my attention during BG's initial release. And then EQ happened and I spent eight years there. When I had recently gotten back into online gaming, my new guild sent me on a journey that eventually found me in Neverwinter, which was the first time I was in the Forgotten Realms. (They also sent me on a path that lead me to the love of my life ... we were married in October!) While we played Neverwinter, everyone reminisced about BG and their favorite characters. I knew I was missing a big chunk of the lore, especially when Minsc and Boo were introduced to NW. So when Steam had the series for sale for their big summer sale, I made plunge. (My husband was so happy!) I've just started the sixth chapter, and I'm rolling with my paladin (Sheyna Rainbringer ... born on January 2, 2000 in Qeynos of EQ, knight of Karana, and still carries a lightning weapon every chance she gets), Imoen, Jaheira and Khalid, Misnc and Dynaheir. I was going to ask a question in one of the other sections, but I thought it polite to come here first. :)

Thank you!
Sheyna Rainbringer
(Amanda)
mlneveseJuliusBorisovdunbarFinaLfrontronaldokaguanaVallmyrShapiroKeatsDarkMagesarevok57Dexterlolien

Comments

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Welcome to the forum and have fun :)

Take a look at the role playing section. I think you'd like it :)
    JuliusBorisovLghtngfanlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited August 2015
    Ohh, another lady has joined the forum!

This is your present, @Lghtngfan !

There're a lot of role-players on these boards, I'm sure you'll become a good part of the society!

As for your question, BG has been waiting for you all these years!

It's never late
    To try Baldur's Gate
    FinaLfrontLghtngfankaguanalolien
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Welcome, especially on behalf of the age-advantaged - I'm in my fifth decade (but my mind still thinks it's the 1970s).
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    @bengoshi‌ I see your flowers and respond with a :cookie:! :cookie: for you, milady!
    LghtngfanJuliusBorisovlolien
  • johnpaul88johnpaul88 Member Posts: 18
    Welcome! I am also glad to see people still discovering BG since it's been around for so long! To be honest I was a little overwhelmed at the depth of the game the first time I played (which was actually BG2), and it took me a few tries to get into (But then again I was probably 14 years old then). But you get pretty immersed once you get involved in it.

@Kilivitz Indeed!
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • LghtngfanLghtngfan Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for all the warm welcomes, the flowers, the candy, and the cryptic messages about my party make-up. :) And thank you to everyone for not pointing out my dyslexia when I spelled Minsc's name wrong.
    mlneveseKilivitzsarevok57lolien
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Oh, that happens all the time. We're not dyslexic, though, just insane. :grin:
    mlneveselolien
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Nimran said:

Oh, that happens all the time. We're not dyslexic, though, just insane. :grin:

There's no proof of insanity in this forum. Just because we have vegetable wars, Egg Wars and Psionic Martians in orbit it doesn't mean anyone is insane :)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Lghtngfan said:

Where has Baldur's Gate been all my life?

It's been waiting to make you super-happy with a surprise and show you that life begins at 40.

Son_of_Imoen (44).

dunbarJuliusBorisovLghtngfanlolien
  • johnpaul88johnpaul88 Member Posts: 18
    My roomate pronounces it "Minx" and I just never bothered to correct him, nor does he notice when I say it "Minsc". lol