Skip to content

After 4 years of Restartits, I've finally managed to finish the whole saga. (Now I'm sad) *spoilers*

Hey ya!

I was hoping you could share your nostalgic moments like I'm doing right now.

The character was a human, chaotic good single class mage. Basically a young wizard who dreamed of traveling across the planes and shaping reality. BG1 was quite nice, as usual , and NPC Project gave it all the npc interaction I could wish for.

It is usually in SoA where restartitis takes place, not this time. I had Ding0's experience fixer installed, which I used to substantialy decrease quest XP . What I remember tha most from the whole BG2 experience was:

1-"Viconia, just leave me alone" (she didn't , and my character loved her)

2- "I'm not going to cast imprisonment on anyone. Keep the damn sphere , cowled ones!" (had to roleplay chaotic good!)

3-"I made Gorion a promise" quote from Jaheira before facing Irenicus.

I ended SoA at level 15 , thanks to experience fixer, it was neither too weak nor excessively powerful.

ToB was like a rollercoaster, SCS made enemies far tougher than usual, but it was part of the fun. Strong points:

1-I didn't have enough healing potions at Sendai's Enclave, but I had tons of invisibility ones, so I had Valygar and Sarevok "backstab" dozens of Drow warriors.

2-At the final battle, I've cast timestop, which Amely was immune to, so we fought each other while everyone else was paralised , as if in a duel.

3-Viconia's romance ending. I've done it a hundred times, but it always makes me quite sad.

By the way, I ended the game at level 19. And I beat the final boss marvelously with an underleveled party ;D

So , what about you guys? How was the last time you've cured yourselves from restartitis?

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited September 2015
    I haven't finished a full run in EE yet actually. I keep creating new chars, so I can't really say I have cured my restartitis, but I think I've found the cure that works for me:

I finally created a char which was interresting and diversive enough to never get bored of. I've played through BG1 with him and will save him for SoD/BG2, while in the meantime I will play various other chars (currently a dwarf/paladin just to see how low saves I can reach). I've prolly mentioned that one character in other threads, but it's an assassin/mage keepered MC elf. He's created with a full backstory and it's like I am playing "me" rather than playing yet another "charname".

Spoiler explains why I think this char is interresting and diversive, if anyone is interrested. It's not made for being ûberpowerful, mainly it's for RP reasons.

* shortbow prof + poison and different arrows can tackle most situations
    * cheated dual wield (not using rogue rebalancing, will do it manually for RP reasons as I level him up in SoD/BG2), selfimposed restriction of not using two large weapons
    * backstab as an assassin ofc, mislead etc from mage complements
    * decent THAC0 from being assassin and elf, meaning swords and bows are preffered weapons
    * being mage compliments lacking thief skill points, can use knock and invisibility instead
    * self-imposed mage, no offensive powers, just "blue" and "white" spells.

So that is my cure, finding "one char to rule them all", not in means of power, but in means of personality and amount of "roleplayability". Immerse yourself into him/her and you will never get bored.

Glad to see you find your cures, @DJKajuru and @semiticgod. I guess the cure differs between every player though of course.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Don't be sad, be proud of yourself!

"You know you have to be proud when... #1998. you've finally beaten all the BG trilogy."
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @semiticgod , I've tried your strategy for a couple of years : by increasing difficulty/AI you can actually make use of powerful character class combinations in a smart way. I remember having fun with it and actually completing the game several times (I've had restartitis for the last 4 years, but I've been playing it for over 15 ). Kensai/mage, bersenker/thief , fighter-archer/mage , they all seemed quite fun as long as the the challenge was tough. As for no reload challenges, I must confess that I'm not the kind of person who could do it, since I'm too attached to my characters to accept their deaths . Cool story!

@Skatan , your "one char to rule them all" explains it well - what makes me go on with the game is the feeling the my character and my party are as alive as Drizzt and Wulfgar . I wish to feel that charname could actually be part of the forgotten realms. I've done the "self imposed image" once, playing an Illusionist . It was quite fun!

@bengoshi ,I agree that it also made me proud. When we're teenagers all we want is a "powerful cool character" , and as I grew up I became more demading of my characters' personality and interaction with other npc's. It feels sad because I really liked my character and party, and now it's the end of his story. Perhaps I could make a fanfic , hmm?

@Kilivitz , I did read that far and I totally agree with you. Sometimes we create and recreate the same character, because we just can't live without them. I've already tried all the female romances, but Viconia is the one who I've enjoyed the most. It's cool that we can play all of Jaheira's quests without actually having a romance, though - it feels like she's your friend, and will be loyal to you till the very end, just like Imoen. Now and then I tend go back on creating a charname bard, because they're just too cool (and useful , no matter what others say about it.)