Skip to content

please delete

sorcerinsorcerin Member Posts: 58
Post edited by sorcerin on

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I played on normal difficulty, so I didn't have the extra devils to contend with, but here's how I beat him.

I started unbuffed so his dispel was a waste. Then I stood my ground until the golems cast their cloudkills. Next the whole party ran Southeast to get off the traps, and formed up just off the circular mosaic. I had them start to buff while the enemy closed in, so by the time the golems reached the front line, the fighters had drunk their potions and the mages were stoneskinned. The sorceress, cleric and cleric/mage continued to cast buffs while the fighters concentrated on the golems first. They go down fast, but they hit hard, so get rid of them first. Once the buffs were done, the clerics switched to healing spells on the fighters. The sorceress didn't really have anything to do once the buffs were done.

To me, the thing that makes this fight so hard is the way the dispel traps on the floor change the usual way IWD fights go. In this case, a battle of motion is entirely in the enemy's favor, so don't play that game. Move the battleground away from the traps, make them come to you.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    You're doing nothing wrong. Belhifet is virtually immune to everything besides melee weapons, and Dispel Magic quickly removes all buffs you might have, rendering magic almost worthless in the fight. I always hated that the game so arbitrarily punished magic-heavy parties. It's the most poorly designed and reductive fight in the IE games, and involves almost zero strategy. I think I'll design a mod for the battle. It's totally unreasonable for the final battle to boil down to hitting stuff with swords.

The bleeding effect offers no save. I believe Belhifet's attack can do either poison or disease damage, so you'd need inherent immunity to both in order to avoid spell disruption. I thought paladins got immunity to disease in IWD, and I know druids get immunity to poison, so your paladin might be able to avoid some of the damage. Otherwise, you'll just have to prevent at least one cleric from getting hit, so that he or she can cast Heal on the others.

@BillyYank is right. Slip away from the middle of the room, or use the Find Traps spell or CTRL-4 to make sure you know where they are and walk around them. Spell Immunity might make your sorcerer immune to Dispel Magic, but I don't really know.

Some other tactics might be possible depending on your spell picks for the sorcerer. Namely, he or she could hit Belhifet in Iron Golem form during Time Stop if you chose both Time Stop and Shapechange. Mordenkainen's Sword during Time Stop, or a very strong quarterstaff, might make a small difference.

Other than that, you might spam summoning spells to hold off the enemy. Even weak summons like those from Animate Dead have lots of HP in HoF mode, and undead ones are immune to disease and poison. They won't deal much damage, but they should give some extra breathing room if you position them well.
    I went ahead and created the mod. Attached. I'll probably post it on Spellhold Studios, too.

I removed his spell level immunities, made him vulnerable to +2 weapons so archers could hit him, and tweaked his weapon so the poison and disease damage would be temporary instead of permanent (they only last 10 rounds now), and the target can now save vs. death to avoid either effect. Belhifet will only have 50% magic resistance to avoid spells, and his spell disruption can be blocked by something other than Protection from Magical Weapons. He's still immune to all disablers and instant death effects by virtue of his MINHP1 item, and he still hits like a truck, but at least he fights more or less fair.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I suggest loading your Skald and Sorcerer up with as many buff- and summon-filled sequencers and contingencies as possible.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    if I ever play heart of fury, there is always some prep I have for this fight, first every single arrow of piercing I find, I keep for this battle, because in iwd they are considered +3 weapons, second, I get the repeater longbow from the archer in the archer tower in chapter 6, ( you might have to do some fishing to get this; quicksave before you go in there, kill him, and see if he drops the longbow that gives 3 attacks per round, if not reload save game and try again, until he drops it) then when its last fight time, I have my main guy equipped with all the extra healing potions and boots of speed, and have mr demon boss chase him around while my archer type character pelts him with arrows of piercing, ( making sure my archer character stays out of the way of harm) and every once in awhile the golems and demons will get A.D.D. and go after my other 4 guys, but usually they go after them one at a time, so they aren't a problem, the only way I found to beat Belhifet regardless of difficulty is to kite him with someone fast and have someone else pelt him with arrows of piercing, it's big time cheese, but realistically they made him so brutally difficult it's very hard to defeat him any other way I found
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Items. Items can be your best friend in this game. Ring of Greater Resistance + Great Shield +3 + Reinforced Leather +1 + Clasp of Bron's Cloak + Potion of Resistance = 85% resistance to crushing attack, meaning the golems will hit for less than 10 damage when they hit. Morningstar + 4 Defender + Clasp of Bron's Cloak + Bone Marrow Belt + Great Shield +3 + Potion of Greater Resistance = 95% slashing resistance, meaning that when Belhifet hits you it will be a mere scratch. The protections granted by items cannot be dispelled, either, making them extremely useful.

If you have a Dwarven Defender as your tank...well, with a few items they can attain physical invulnerability in this game so your opponents become a minor annoyance, at best.

Don't forget that a high-level druid's water elemental form has a base 75% resistance to all physical attacks. Backed up by a bard using the War Chant of Sith those get boosted to 85%. Druids may also cast Armor of Faith before shifting form.
    Unfortunately, all of those items except for the Clasp of Bron's Cloak are random drops. I found no such random drops in my last run of the game.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @semiticgod: For evil characters, doesn't Harald reliably have a Morningstar +4: Defender? I think there's a non-random Great Shield +3 in TotLM, too.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

Unfortunately, all of those items except for the Clasp of Bron's Cloak are random drops. I found no such random drops in my last run of the game.

Yes, but that is part of what makes the game more exciting. Some of the really good resistance items are set drops in containers in TotLM and the Shadowed Studded Leather +4 (20% resistance to piercing and slashing) can be gained from a set encounter in Lonleywood (presuming the set encounter happens, that is). If you can find Tiernon and get him to fix his shield then it becomes one of the better items granting physical resistances, especially in the hands of a dwarven defender.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

You're doing nothing wrong. Belhifet is virtually immune to everything besides melee weapons, and Dispel Magic quickly removes all buffs you might have, rendering magic almost worthless in the fight. I always hated that the game so arbitrarily punished magic-heavy parties. It's the most poorly designed and reductive fight in the IE games, and involves almost zero strategy. I think I'll design a mod for the battle. It's totally unreasonable for the final battle to boil down to hitting stuff with swords.

I was actually able to beat Belhifet with a pure mage solo once (by putting on lots of buffs and stabbing him to death). However, this was in the non-enhanced game, so it was much easier for various reasons (Belhifet didn't cause poison, the cornugons didn't cause wounding, the iron golems didn't use their poison cloud, many of Belhifet's abilities were glitchy and didn't actually do anything, and for some reason Belhifet did crushing damage, so a Potion of Absorption made it hard for him to hit).
    @OlvynChuru: I did the exact same thing once in vanilla IWD, even down to the Potions of Absorption. I used a staff, though, not a dagger.

Belhifet's attack in the original didn't actually do crushing damage, though AC bonuses vs. crushing did help. He was attacking with his bare hands, and therefore did nonlethal fist damage. I remember having a Fighter->Druid with immunity to crushing damage in Water Elemental form (thanks to a bard song and the Great Shield) and being surprised that she took full damage from his attacks, but could not be reduced below 1 HP, and just got knocked out instead of dying.
  • sorcerinsorcerin Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by sorcerin on
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Just finished HOF playthrough and behifet wasnt too bad and had a simlar party. isaaracht was much tougher on HOF but came in good strategy.