Skip to content

Do you intend to have large expansion pack for BG2-EE?

darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
As we know we can see SOD late of this year,

It looks like there are plenty new contents and lots of IE engine features be upgraded,

No matter you like new style of UI or not , but there is no dobut the engine is getting better and better for BG-EE series , more flexible , friendly at least , and isometric get a little bit improved ,

So ,
how about another expansion pack for BG2-EE ?
I know someone think the story is end already, it's better to work for BG3,

For me,
I still love to play BG with more different story even just only side quest ,
But most important is they must have high story telling quality and continue engine upgrade , Bugs fix etc,
I would love to see large BG2-EE expansion with more high selling price which means continue engine update and give Baldur'sGate has happy ending for all fans ,

How do you think about it...

I don't prefer NPC/Quest DLCs style , I can pay more money for engine / UI / soundset etc continue improve,
Post edited by darrenkuo on

Comments

• JustLeftJustLeft Member Posts: 76
    I wish if they would make more games, I have never played tabletop of any kind much less D&D but from reading bits and pieces of the lore. It sounds amazing and would love more games based on the lore but in different places.

Similar to IWD, NWN and PST but continuing using the IE engine and please make it a little more story based similar to Baldur's Gate more than Icewind Dale.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited September 2015
    cmk24 said:

The devs have already stated that if SoD does well there might do an expansion set between SoA and ToB.

How many copies mean that they can make the profit or call "well sales" ?

The final expansion pack for baldur's gate should be very large for engine upgrade and numerous contents , it means they may need to invest 1 years at least to develop ,

It's kind of high risk gambling for small studio ,

Or they can use the engine for future product such like PST-EE,
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    cmk24 said:

The devs have already stated that if SoD does well there might do an expansion set between SoA and ToB.

I like! But have to ask: Do you have a link?
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

cmk24 said:

I like! But have to ask: Do you have a link?
    Here you go https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/598652#Comment_598652

As a side note I am kind of surprised I was able to find this link using the forum search.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    By the way, this is a good thread with ideas about BG2EE expansions:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/42938/any-chance-on-getting-an-expansion-to-bg2ee
  • epicrakshasasepicrakshasas Member Posts: 71
    If there was one, I want there to be no mind flyers unless that are massively beefed. I've had enough of illithid trash mobs in BG2 and ToB.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    But... but mind flying is fun! Minds flying through the air, their hair streaming behind them...
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Minds have hair? Long beautiful hair?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Yes.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I realize I'm likely to be in the minority on this, but I truly hope there isn't a new BG2 expansion after SoD. I don't want any additional expansions to the existing IE games, nor even a BG3 or IwD3. What I would love to have is a brand new IE-style Forgotten Realms game unrelated to the BG/IwD series. The main reason? I don't care for 2e at all.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    kanisatha said:

I realize I'm likely to be in the minority on this, but I truly hope there isn't a new BG2 expansion after SoD. I don't want any additional expansions to the existing IE games, nor even a BG3 or IwD3. What I would love to have is a brand new IE-style Forgotten Realms game unrelated to the BG/IwD series. The main reason? I don't care for 2e at all.

If you haven't yet heard of it you may want to check out Sword Coast Legends.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    edited September 2015
    I'm on the fence about SCL. I've pre-ordered it, because I love these styles of RPG's, and it's 5th edition which I don't know much about, but am interested in learning etc. I know I'll enjoy playing it, but I'm concerned that it's NWN-lite instead of "the next big thing!"

It only comes with 5 races, 6 classes, no multi/dual classing and the single player campaign is "handcrafted" and not able to be reproduced with the toolset they are shipping with the game.. sounds a lot like a watered down NWN/NWN2 to me

I can only hope that with expansions and dlcs, it becomes a proper successor, but I feel that so many of these styles of games lately just don't understand what made the IE and NWN games so good in the first place (the breadth of character options and content creation).
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    edited September 2015
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited September 2015
    kanisatha said:

If there is an IWD3 or a BG3, it will be in 5e (or whatever version is current). I will bet you 1.236 billion dollars!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

kanisatha said:

If there is an IWD3 or a BG3, it will be in 5e (or whatever version is current). I will bet you 1.236 billion dollars!
    All bets should be in electrum pieces, since they were re-introduced in 5E!
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    elminster said:

kanisatha said:

If you haven't yet heard of it you may want to check out Sword Coast Legends.
    Are you his enemy? Why would you suggest him that crap that is D&D in name only.

kanisatha said:

If so then that would be ok, as 5e is so much better than 2e. But I still think a completely new game in a completely new area of FR would be the best way forward.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Torin said:

Are you his enemy? Why would you suggest him that crap that is D&D in name only.

You have a funny definition of "in name only" given that SCL is on the front page of the official D&D website...
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    edited September 2015
    shawne said:

Torin said:

You have a funny definition of "in name only" given that SCL is on the front page of the official D&D website...
    So were Neverwinter and DDO. Lots of crap games were published with D&D logo (Demon stone, that RTS in Ebberon and others), the logo means nothing, the game itself means everything. And SCL is not a D&D RPG except in name. It it not tactical and does not even follow 5e rules. Only different between it and Neverwinter is that Neverwinter is on a larger scale and because of that a MMO. Enlarge the scale of SCL and it is just another MMO as well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

kanisatha said:

The main reason? I don't care for 2e at all.

Boooooooo

Afraid to count backwards? :tongue:

Edition wars aside, I'll just say that regardless of the actual ruleset, the 2E years are when TSR was at their world-building creative peak. It'll always be my favorite edition for that reason.
    HA! Yes the backwards-counting was indeed a pain, but for me mainly it is that there isn't much one can do character-development wise in 2e. A simple rule for me: every time you level up your character, no matter the class, you should have at least one meaningful change you get to make to your character. One of the very few big gripes I've always had about the BG/IwD games is that there are many times when leveling up where the only change that happens to your characters is a tiny gain in HP, and nothing else. I really hate that.

That said, I do very strictly separate game mechanics from game world when discussing editions. FR lore during the 2e timeline was awesome. Still love (and still own) most of the FR novels from the 2e timeline.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    I'm not sure if the potential for an expansion in BG2:EE is the direction Beamdog will take.

BG:EE has sold over 1 million copies. Banking their apples with Siege of Dragonspear as a bridge between BG:EE and BG2:EE, if it sells well, may very well raise Beamdog as a full game developer, vs. work to hire, and to a possible Baldur's Gate 3 (or some other variation of an isometric, Forgotten Realms adventure), granted, in 5th edition ruleset.

I'm all for Beamdog moving forward, to see their true potential as a developer, and allow their own vision flurish, rather than releasing an expansion to BG2:EE.

Either would be fantastic, but in my view, having a new game, with original content, would be a much brighter future.
  • MaciejSMaciejS Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2015
    I don't mean to bring this discussion down, but an additional expansion set between BG2 and ToB makes no sense. The intro to ToB, and the very beginning of the game, make it quite clear that Charname has been in Suldanesselar this whole time, with ToB taking place not long after BG2.

If anything, since Atari is thankfully dead and perhaps WoTC a bit more prone to giving Beamdog more freedom, I'd really like for ToB to get a major overhaul. Let's face it - the game was rushed, and it shows, with Saradush being more of a joke than a real city. The team could do a LOT to make the game better - turning Saradush into a real hub, expanding the storyline, especially the widespread hunt of Bhaalspawn going on at the time, and so much more. I seriously doubt that fans of the game would really mind if ToB got a separate "Enhanced Edition".
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    MaciejS said:

I don't mean to bring this discussion down, but an additional expansion set between BG2 and ToB makes no sense. The intro to ToB, and the very beginning of the game, make it quite clear that Charname has been in Suldanesselar this whole time, with ToB taking place not long after BG2.

If anything, since Atari is thankfully dead and perhaps WoTC a bit more prone to giving Beamdog more freedom, I'd really like for ToB to get a major overhaul. Let's face it - the game was rushed, and it shows, with Saradush being more of a joke than a real city. The team could do a LOT to make the game better - turning Saradush into a real hub, expanding the storyline, especially the widespread hunt of Bhaalspawn going on at the time, and so much more. I seriously doubt that fans of the game would really mind if ToB got a separate "Enhanced Edition".

I think a good 6 months (would have to check to be sure) pass between SoA and ToB, plenty of time for an expansion. Also I don't think it was Atari that was blocking story changes but Bioware, so I doubt anything has changed that would let Beamdog change the existing content of ToB.
  • sorcerinsorcerin Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by sorcerin on
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Heart of Fury is essentially what this Legacy of Bhaal mode is that's coming. Unless that's SoD specific.
  • sorcerinsorcerin Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by sorcerin on