Skip to content

Novelization of Baldur's Gate - By Nonnahswriter

Comments

• MoczoMoczo Member Posts: 236
    It says something mildly stupid about me that this has been here all this time and I somehow never found it.

Well, at least I have now, and it's good so far! I'm only through chapter 3, but I found the FF.net version and favorited it so I can read at work. Awesome. ^_^
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Moczo said:

It says something mildly stupid about me that this has been here all this time and I somehow never found it.

Well, at least I have now, and it's good so far! I'm only through chapter 3, but I found the FF.net version and favorited it so I can read at work. Awesome. ^_^

To be fair, I'm horrible at self-promotion. Makes me feel all egotistical and dirty. D:

Glad you like it though. ^_^
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited April 2015

Moczo said:

To be fair, I'm horrible at self-promotion. Makes me feel all egotistical and dirty. D:

Glad you like it though. ^_^
    If it makes you feel any better, I don't know thing one about self-promoting. I try, but I always get the feeling that I am doing something wrong. D:
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    How's the next part coming along?
    *takes out his bonking stick* I'll hold you to that.

Just kidding. I know just how busy life can get. There's no need to rush things, so by all means, take all the time you need. Just know that I'll be waiting. I'm always waiting. :neutral:
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    *All our scribes are currently busy at the moment. Please hold while more story is written.*
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477

Nimran said:

How's the next part coming along?

Honestly, it's slow-going. I've had to readjust to a busy work schedule thanks to my new (and better!) job, so my free time to write has gone up in smoke.
    I can relate to that. *sigh*
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Eek! Cliffhanger!
    kcwise said:

Eek! Cliffhanger!

Mwahahahahahahaha! :naughty:
    Emerin: "Oh no, is he dead?"

Ronan: "Yes, Markra is dead. He died as he lived: on his back and looking for help."

Miria: "That would define you more accurately than him."

Ronan: "Only for you, sweet thing."

Miria: "I think I'm just gonna go throw up in that jar over there."

Emerin: "Would you both just stop bickering and wait for the next part?"

Miria: "But the wait is killing me!"

Brian: "Do not fear, friends! No doubt the spirit of justice shall swoop down upon the villainous fiend and save our troubled hero from certain death!"

Miria: "How is it certain death if there's any chance at all that he will be saved?"

Ronan: "Doing the impossible is what a hero is best at, right Brian?"

Brian: "Smiting evil is what heroes are best at, villain!"

Ronan: "Well, Brian, what are you waiting here for, then? Go and smite that evil halfling for justice!"

Brian: "Yeah, I'm not that stupid."

Ronan: "Surprising."

Miria: "So, I guess I'm getting an ale. Anyone else want to come along?"

Ronan: "I'm good for it."

Emerin: "You're always good for it, you drunken sod."

Ronan: "I don't get drunk. My body heat burns the alcohol away too quickly."

Miria: "Hey, maybe we should take this conversation elsewhere? I'm worried we might be hogging the thread."

Ronan: "Yeah, Em. Way to distract all of the readers with your nonsense."

Emerin: "MY nonsense?!"

Miria: "Seriously, guys, we're starting to get looks."

Brian: "That is good! All should see the force of righteous fury that stands before them!"

Ronan: "We're not standing, you dingbat."

Emerin: "I hate you guys."

Ronan: "We love you too, Em."

Brian: "Aha! A confession most dire! Don't worry, Em, I won't allow this villain to take advantage of your youthful good looks and naïveté in order to defile the purity of your virgin soul!"

Emerin: "Brian, what in the hells are you babbling about?!"

Kaiser: "Isn't it obvious? He loves you, and he wants to express that, but he can't because he has trouble finding the right words. As a result, he lashes out at anyone who tries to get between the two of you in the only way he really knows how to."

Emerin: "..."

Miria: "..."

Ronan: " :smirk: "

Brian: " :grey_question: "

Kaiser: "But that's none of my business."
    Gods. There's no nice way to say it: this chapter was a bitch.

But it's done! WOO! And only one hour before July!!

...I'm disappearing again for July. Don't expect another chapter for a while. I gots some revisions ta do.

Enjoy~!

Chapter 13 (Part I)

“Wha…” Markra stared unblinking at the end of Montaron’s sword, just a breath away from cutting his throat open. “Montaron, what are you—”

“Traitor!!” Jaheira shouted as she drew her quarterstaff and got to her feet. Behind her, Khalid also struggled to stand, leaning on the cavern wall for support. “So, you show your true colors when we are weak and catching breath. I knew we could not trust you!”

“I wouldna be too hasty, if I were you, Jaheira…” said Montaron, barely sparing the druid a glance out the corners of his eyes. “Yer reckless temper’ll get somebody killed.”

No doubt on cue, as soon as Montaron finished his sentence, they heard Imoen cry out. Everyone stared back to the toothy archway—save for Montaron, who gave a cruel smirk down at Markra. Xzar had a squirming Imoen in his grasp, a knife poised for her kidneys if she fought too much. Not only that, but she seemed wounded: a dark spot on her side where blood slowly oozed through, perhaps from the kobold mob. Not a bad gash, but immensely unhelpful at its best.

“No…” Jaheira gasped, just loud enough for Markra’s ears.

Xzar cackled with not a trace of madness. Only wicked triumph. “Ohh, what’s the matter, sweet wildling? Well, not so ‘wild’ anymore, are you now!?”

Jaheira grasped her staff tighter, knuckles almost popping. “You filthy cowards…! To think I’d fought beside you, Zhentarim scum!”

“Hard to hide a nature once it’s bred in yer bones,” Montaron muttered, “but aye, ye were right, girlie. We are Zhentarim both.”

Markra’s heart pounded in his throat—as if he needed any more reminders of the deadly steel aimed there. His own blood slathered over his fingers as he tried to staunch the flow out his leg, but his hands could only do so much. Head reeling, not just from the lost blood, he struggled to even process what was happening, let alone find a way out.

Xzar and Montaron were agents of the Zhentarim, and he’d read enough about the murderous organization to know their bloody history. But no matter how creepy and tasteless and violent as they’d seemed, Xzar and Montaron had been his companions. Never really his friends, but still companions. He’d thought them capable of many things—murder, larceny, foul magic and tactics that Markra detested on many levels. But not betrayal. Never betrayal.

Which made him wonder: How long have they been planning this?

“Just…tell me why,” Markra choked out. “Why here, why now, why…why do any of this?”

“To keep their secrets buried here with us!” Jaheira snapped, shooting a fierce glare at the wizard and halfling. “The Zhentarim have been the ones behind this all along!”

Montaron matched her glare, at last looking away from his hostage on the ground. “Do yer pointed ears hear nothin’ at all, ya daft woman? I already told ye—the Zhentarim got nothin’ to do with this Iron Crisis.”

Xzar nodded as he chimed in. “Indeed, but someone certainly wants you to think so, you and everyone else on the Sword Coast. Monty and I had been sent to find whoever was spreading lies about our Family and silence them, which naturally led us here to the mines of Nashkel.” He grinned wider as he gazed at Markra. “What we did not anticipate was our dear Markra here falling into our laps, and his many surprises.”

“How much ye think the Zhentarim would pay fer an elf who can heal without the gods’ help?” Montaron asked Xzar over his shoulder. “Mind, his head’s already worth 200 gold to the right buyer.”

“I would say double. Triple even!” Xzar flashed another crooked smile at Markra. “Oh, you needn’t look so hurt, my ex-sworn-compatriot. Think of it as…a flattery of sorts, of the highest esteem. It’s not often Monty and I risk our hides for so much gain. You might even like the Zhentarim; at least they haven’t pledged to kill you once we turn you in…yet.”

Listening to them made Markra’s blood boil, his teeth grind together as he held back the rage. Money? His own party members and fellow travelers were going to kill his friends and hand him over to some bloodthirsty crime family, as if he were common property. For money? Silently, Markra took back any kind word or thought he’d ever had for Xzar and Montaron, cursed them one-hundred fold, and dearly wished that he hadn’t stopped Jaheira from attacking them back in the tunnels.

He reached for that anger, grasped it tight and didn’t let go. If they wanted to sell him to the Zhentarim, they would need proof of his healing abilities, and they would have none of that if Montaron killed him now. His most potent emotions had healed Imoen when she lay dying on the stone bridge; time to find out if they could heal himself as well.

Rage poured over him, hot and righteous and oh so sweet. It burned in his veins and flowed out his fingers. Markra screwed his eyes shut, begging every god he knew for some direction, and felt his hands heat up. Divine-magic sizzled against his wound, a similar sensation to Jaheira’s healing spells, but faster, wilder, and much less gentle. He’d always thought of her magic like a stream, soothing and cool and invigorating. This was a torrent, the bite of salty ocean waves ravaging against his skin. Markra bit the inside of his mouth to keep from crying out, but it quickly passed. In a matter of moments, the slash in his leg closed, his veins reconnected, and the blood burned off of a new layer of skin.

Xzar’s gleeful smile fell, replaced by scorn. “Monty, he’s healing! Stop him!”

He would need to aim at something other than Markra’s neck. Something that would hurt and disable, but not quite enough to kill. Montaron pulled back his sword just an inch and swung, but Markra reached for his own blade lying beside him, curved his aim upward, and blocked. The metal-on-metal clang was deafening in the small cavern, bouncing back and forth off the walls.

Seeing her chance, Imoen rammed her elbow into Xzar’s ribs, earning a yelp out of the necromancer, and pried herself free. Jaheira and Khalid split from the wall—Khalid to Imoen, and Jaheira to Markra. Still aching from his wounds, Khalid should do better against a mad mage than an experienced halfling fighter. Jaheira’s staff lashed out of her hands like a mantis’s arm, aimed straight for Montaron’s head, but he was too short and slippery. Montaron ducked out of the way and pivoted on his heels so he faced both her and the rising Markra at once.

The halfling chuckled under his breath as he eyed the two of them. “So, this be where we come to, eh? Ye’ve grown, boy, I’ll grant ye that. But truth be told, ye don’t stand a lick o’ chance against me.”

“You’re not giving me much of a choice,” Markra snapped, just before he lashed out first. The ice blade almost glistened in the low cavern light as it clashed against Montaron’s shorter sword. Jaheira followed with a yell and a long sweep of her quarterstaff, aimed for Montaron’s feet. But the halfling jumped over the stick and parried yet another slash from Markra’s sword.

Though the odds were in their favor at two-to-one, Montaron was small and dexterous in both hands. He switched sword-hands with ease whenever it suited him, and made it even more difficult for Markra and Jaheira to disarm him. He ducked another whack of Jaheira’s staff, then dashed forward and made it inside her range. Before Jaheira could block, Montaron ran his blade across her stomach, protected only by a layer of leather.

Biting back a cry of pain, Jaheira covered her stomach with one arm. Montaron’s sword had left a cut in the leather and in the blouse underneath, but it wasn’t quite enough to break her skin. Still, it hurt, and Jaheira didn’t wear much to absorb the brunt force. Markra reached out with a thrust aimed for Montaron’s head, but the halfling spun around Jaheira and dodged with a smirk. Markra stumbled once, quickly regained his footing, and watched as Montaron poised his sword at Jaheira’s back.

But Jaheira was not so slow and hurt as she’d appeared. Loosing another scream, she twisted around and swung her quarterstaff once again in a fierce, horizontal stroke. This time, it struck Montaron in the side of the head and sent him rolling across the ground. The halfling traitor was down—but not out just yet. Holding his sore head, where a trail of blood had begun to flow, Montaron spat out a bloody tooth and crawled back on his feet.

“That damn hurt, ya dirty elf bitch,” he growled as he wiped his mouth clean.

“You should have thought twice about the people you double-crossed!” Jaheira shouted back, and ran at him. Staff high and gripped in both hands, she swung it over her head like an executioner’s axe. But the blow was slow and easy to trace, so it missed Montaron as he stepped out of the way. He lunged again, a desperate thrust pining for Jaheira’s thigh. Before it could connect, Markra stood between them and smacked Montaron’s sword off its aim with his own blade. The halfling staggered, a sign of clumsiness that Markra rarely saw in him. Montaron was nothing if not sure on his feet, but the blow to his head must have crippled his balance.

They stared at each other, betrayer and betrayed, for several breaths. Gazes devouring, scrounging for the slightest of motions. Swords that had once fought together now poised to stab one another. Markra heard Jaheira’s footsteps and felt her presence next to him, but he dared not look away from his enemy.

At last, he spotted it: Montaron’s free hand slipping behind his back, perhaps to grab something. Markra leaped at him, thrusting, but Montaron swerved out of the way, the blade’s tip barely slicing his cheek. Markra spun on his heel as his thrust turned into a sideways slash, chasing the nimble halfling. So face-to-face, he clearly saw what Montaron had pulled from his waist pack—a vial of murky, gray liquid. Before Markra could stop him, Montaron unplugged the cork and chugged the potion in one quick swig.

Then he vanished.

Markra regained his footing and gazed disbelieving at the spot where Montaron once stood. He found no sign that the halfling had ever been there, not even a shadow.

“Wh-What the—”

Before he had the chance to lose his mind, however, Markra felt Jaheira’s back press against his, her long coils of brown hair brushing his neck. He met her gaze out of the corners of his eyes.

“Stay calm,” she urged him, “and stay alert. He drank an invisibility potion. I think he aims to end one of us. Most likely me, if he still intends to keep you alive.”

Markra took a deep breath and exhaled slowly, then closed his eyes. They would do him no good against an invisible foe; better that he rely on his elven ears for guidance, just as he had at the Friendly Arm Inn. That assassin had used the shadows to protect him, deadly and unseen. How different could an invisibility potion be?

Far away, water dripped on stalagmites. Bugs skittered and buzzed about the floor as torches faintly hissed and sputtered. Closer were the sounds of combat, of Imoen, Khalid, and Xzar fighting each other. Magic hummed and crackled through the air, followed by a pained cry from Jaheira’s husband. Imoen shouted his name, then cursed, but no matter how much he wanted to, Markra couldn’t help them now. The moment he dropped his guard would be the moment he gave Montaron the chance to plunge his sword into either his or Jaheira’s back.

Something tapped against the ground floor. So soft, Markra barely heard it under everything else, but it was there. On his right, closer to Jaheira than to him. Anyone else might have dismissed it, but Markra knew the sound, having traveled long enough with Montaron to recognize it. The quiet soles of his thin-padded boots against the earth, adept at sneaking around in silence.

Markra nudged Jaheira’s elbow with his own, and she nodded. So, even her half-elven ancestry gave her ears an edge. But they waited, and waited, and the sound didn’t appear again. Montaron must have realized they’d heard him and stayed his blade. Markra reached out with his hearing again, but he found it difficult to concentrate on anything besides the relentless pounding of his own heart. He took deep breaths, trying to calm it, but every moment spent in silent anticipation was torture.

Until, at last, Jaheira gasped. She veered right, nearly twisting her ankles, as something cut open the side of her tunic. As if the air had sliced across her, swift and clean, mere inches from a deadly blow. But as the world seemed to slow down and Markra spun around, he watched the space between them shimmer and ripple, shaped like the deformed outline of a small man. In moments the mirage became real, and Montaron reappeared.

Leaned forward in mid-lunge and eyes wide in disbelief, he barely caught Jaheira’s gaze before she swung her staff and whacked his shortsword out of his hand. Then, with the flick of her wrists, she drove the other end into his chest and tossed him to the ground.

Montaron coughed out all the breath in his lungs as his back hit the floor, hands grasping for his missing weapon. Before he could recover, Jaheira leaped on top of him and pressed her staff horizontally against his throat. The halfling winced as her knees dug into the soft underbelly of his arms, and her muscular legs almost crushed his. Though even with Montaron pinned and disabled, Markra came around and kicked his shortsword out of reach, just in case.

“How does it ‘damn hurt’ now, traitor?” Jaheira snarled. “Better or worse?”

Glowering, Montaron tried to spit in her face, but he struggled to gather any breath as her staff nearly crushed his windpipe, let alone saliva. Markra lowered his sword as he stood beside them, finally convinced that the halfling was no longer a threat. Though looking at Jaheira, he noticed a red smear slowly growing around the newest slit in her tunic.

“Are you all right?” he asked her.

“I’m fine,” she insisted, though her voice was full of effort. Jaheira cast a glance over her shoulder, back toward the entrance where the chambers intersected. Beyond their line of sight, another zap of magic flashed, followed by the hiss of arrows and Imoen cursing up a storm.

“I’ll hold this one. You go and help the others.”

Hearing Imoen in danger, Markra needed little encouragement to dive into battle once again. Still, he hesitated, looking again at the wound on Jaheira’s waist. “Are you sure? You’re injured—”

“It’s just a graze.” She threw him a steely glare, but it softened a bit upon seeing his concerned expression. “Markra, please. My husband is fighting, as is Imoen. Trust in me and help our friends.”

So even while wounded, there would be no negotiating Jaheira’s orders. Still, between just the two of them, they had very little choice. Markra nodded, gripping his sword tighter around its hilt, and headed into the other cavern.
    A life update:

I realize it's been months sense I last posted in this thread and the last thing you want to read is me talking about the real world instead of delving back into my fictitious one. But, alas, stuff's happened.

It occurs to me that starting tomorrow, I will have a second job. I've been working for Target since March, and the money's been good (as far as retail goes), but it's not the kind of career I want to pursue for the long-term. So, after volunteering and applying over and over again the past year, I finally was hired by a public library in a town close to mine. I'll be working 15 hours a week as a Page in that library, on top of the hours I already work for Target.

Needless to say, my life's about to get really crazy. I barely have enough time as it is to scrape by and write short stories for my weekly writer's groups, let alone bond with my loved ones. And eat and sleep and all those other bodily functions. But with two jobs, especially going into holiday season, some weeks I won't even be able to manage that anymore.

So, as much as it pains me to say it, I don't know when I'll continue this again. I've not given up on it, but my priorities are all over the place right now. I just don't have the time to dedicate to this that I used to.

I'd like to thank everyone once again who've given me such wonderful feedback and encouraged me to keep going. :) You helped me believe in my abilities when I doubted myself. As a girl with tons of self-esteem issues dating back to elementary school, it really means a lot. Thank you.

I'll be back here someday with a new chapter. Promise!!

/endlifeupdate
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    edited September 2015
    Don't worry, there're no "tasks" or obligatory things on these boards!

I will have a second job. I've been working for Target since March, and the money's been good (as far as retail goes), but it's not the kind of career I want to pursue for the long-term. So, after volunteering and applying over and over again the past year, I finally was hired by a public library in a town close to mine. I'll be working 15 hours a week as a Page in that library, on top of the hours I already work for Target.

Congratulations of getting a job after "volunteering and applying over and over again"!

Now, when you'll work in a library, should we call thee "Nonnahswriter of the (Candle)Keep"?
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Congratulations on the new job.
    Trust me, I know very much that life just LOVES to stomp on a writer's muse. Write when you have the energy and creativity to handle writing, or you probably won't like the result anyway. Forcing yourself never works.
    Moczo said:

Trust me, I know very much that life just LOVES to stomp on a writer's muse. Write when you have the energy and creativity to handle writing, or you probably won't like the result anyway. Forcing yourself never works.

I don't entirely agree with this. True, you don't want to push yourself; a lot of writers need to take breaks, sometimes entire months to recharge, and there's nothing wrong with that so long as it doesn't impede on your creative process. What I've found though is that the difference between a professional writer and a hobby writer is that the professional writes when they can, where they can, whether they're in the mood or not. Deadlines don't wait. Readers are impatient. And at the end of the day, it's almost always better to have written trash than to not have written anything at all. Even trash can be transformed into something worthwhile, given enough time and effort; you can't do anything with nothing.

Then again, you've got a professional like George R. R. Martin who doesn't write for even years at a time and doesn't suffer a single bushwhack from his publisher, so who knows. :wink:
    @Nonnahswriter I probably should have differentiated between fanfic and professional work, yes. I mean, if you are working on a deadline for a publisher, obviously, yes: force something out or you're screwed. We can't all have as much freedom as the Game Of Thrones guy. XD

But fanfic? That's just for fun, both sides of the coin. You're not obligated to ever finish the story at all! Unless you actually like your fans. And who could? I'm one of your story's fans, and even I don't like me; pale, scrawny thing that I am. ;)
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,076
    Nonnahswriter's writing is amazing. Here's my own version of the intro.

"He or she who fights mons should see him/herself not becoming mon. When you look at a byss, the byss stairs you too."
    -Fried Rich Neechee

A spawn of ball staggers on top an iron throne, but the other ball spawns by name Sirrah Vok and brakes a door to stillness and play loud music.

First ballspawn says no Vok can't, but actually Vok can and will be the last but YOU go first and get pointed at. So "YOU" go back on you back and spawn words there are others I can show you PLEASE PLEEEEEEASE bonk off the helmet

Vok lifts otherspawn and breaks stolen goods seller and chokes otherspawn. The gag is funny and vok laughs, then drops the balls pawn off the throne. dethroned ballspawn dies and bleeds to death and the blood hits sign says BOULDERSG ATE more loud music
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Thanks for what you have shared so far and enjoy the new RL Chapter. A Library gig sounds great and the whole field of Library stuff is in the process of exploding, methinks as Infotech spawns new ways of mining the huge databases that the world's various Libraries represent.

Some feedback on the most recent installment. I really, really wanted Xzar to be dead. Somehow the idea of just leaving them behind does not work for me. And in the climactic moment when Montaron sees Xzar bite the dust he slips out of the grasp of whoever is holding him and makes his escape.

That being said, the blow-by-blow with Mulahey was truly gripping. I have always felt that the encounter with Mulahey needed to have a bit more depth to the interaction with a fuller unfolding of what the whole point of the Iron Crisis was all about. Hmmmm....

Cheers and thanks again!

Some feedback on the most recent installment. I really, really wanted Xzar to be dead. Somehow the idea of just leaving them behind does not work for me. And in the climactic moment when Montaron sees Xzar bite the dust he slips out of the grasp of whoever is holding him and makes his escape.

I know. D:

But I have to keep them alive if I want to use their quest in a possible BG2 novelization. I can't just magically bring them back to life later. (Well, I could if I were utilizing the Forgotten Realms resurrection systems, but I'm not because that's one huge headache by itself.) I completely understand your feeling, and I went back and forth on the issue multiple times before finally deciding to let them live. But, oh well. No changing it now.

Thank you for your feedback. :) It really helps a lot!
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    It is such a treat to be able to "chat" with someone with an authorial mind like yours, even thus once removed. Just picked up a book at my favorite PTA Thrift Shop that immediately released [or threatens to] a pent-up flood of story ideas for an RPG set along the Silk Road, perhaps 13th-14th Cent, just as its heyday was passing.

To wit: Shadow of the Silk Road by Colin Thubrow [@2007], a modern retracing of the route by a celebrated travel-writer. Just the first few pages describing his somewhat mystical beginning of the journey with a visit to the Tomb of the Yellow Emperor, has me enthralled to the point of goose bumbs!!

The character I have in mind is built around the idea that He/She is singularly skilled at reaping a small fortune from the aftermath of war in some fashion: gambling perhaps and speculating in loot that drunken soldiers are eager to convert to coin. And somehow unkowingly comes into possession of.....

Note: first time I have ever used the expression "to wit"!! Now I will have to research what it actually means and whether I used it meaningfully.... Fun!!

Note2: I am fortunate to live in a college town [Chapel Hill, NC, USA] which has a first-rate Independent Bookstore [Flyleaf Books] with an active schedule of authors on tour as well as a twice-monthly Prompt Writing group. Keeps the juices flowing.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Dat text is huuge!
    brus said:

Dat text is huuge!

You're surprised? :D
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited March 2016

You wonna beat George R.R. Martin by word count?
    Challenge accepted :lol:
    But, seriously, it'll be nice huge novella once finished -> BG extended universe. :+1:
    brus said:

You wonna beat George R.R. Martin by word count?
    Challenge accepted :lol:
    But, seriously, it'll be nice huge novella once finished -> BG extended universe. :+1:
    Not a novella, since novellas are short novels, of which this one's definitely not.

And completely unpublishable because it's too damn long. :D But that's okay. It's just for fun. ^_^
    Chapter 15 (Part I)

They waited a while longer before Nalin appeared. Even in the dead of the night, the priest of Helm walked the streets clad in his uncomfortable set of plate armor. Upon recognizing the troublesome band, Nalin cursed and almost turned back to his temple, but after he failed to find Xzar and Montaron among them, he begrudgingly offered his services.

Once they’d been fully healed, they gathered the assassin’s belongings, hoping for any clues that could reveal the origins of Markra’s bounty. Aside from a couple magic scrolls and unique pieces of equipment, the only item of worth was a note in jagged handwriting:

“Nimbul,

The money you have recieved from Tranzig should cover your usual fee. Your assignment is a difficult one, but I'm sure that you are up to the task. There is a group of mercenaries who should be coming through Nashkel in the next few days. They are led by a whelp named Markra. You are to kill Markra and all that travel with him. I warn you; they might not look like much, but they are very dangerous. Good hunting!

-Tazok”

“Look at that,” Markra chuckled as he showed the letter to his friends. “We’re considered ‘very dangerous’ now.”

“Don’t let your head swell so big,” Jaheira scolded him. “That letter also called you a welp.”

“These people want me dead; I’ll take whatever I can get.” Markra fished for one of the previous letters out of his pack and compared them side by side. “There’re those names again, Tranzig and Tazok. The same people who’d been in contact with Mulahey.”

“Then whoever was behind the contamination of Nashkel’s mines was also after you.”

Imoen’s face scrunched up in confusion. “But that don’t make a lotta sense. What would a buncha guys like them want with Marky? They can’t know that we ruined their plans yet, it’s too soon. What’s the connection?”

“Maybe they heard a bounty was in town,” Markra guessed with a shrug, “and opted to go after it while they had people down here. Kill two birds with one stone and all that.”

But he didn’t voice what he was really thinking: that this was nowhere near a mere coincidence. If his suspicions were true, then the people who’d tried to poison the mine and steal his life were also the ones who’d murdered Gorion all those nights ago. Like Imoen said, it didn’t make sense; if their goal was to destroy Nashkel’s iron and fuel the Crisis, how did the assassination of a nobody from Candlekeep fit in?

Yet despite their jagged points and curves, Markra couldn’t help but fixate on the same puzzle pieces and think: These must fit together somehow. And judging from the frowns on Khalid’s and Jaheira’s faces, they felt the same.

“W-We will know more once we f-find this T-T-Tranzig,” Khalid concluded. “I-In the meantime…”

He nodded toward the doors to the Nashkel inn, thin enough that they could hear the boisterous cries of Minsc from inside. Or his voice was just that loud. As soon as she laid eyes on it, Jaheira visibly tried to suppress a shudder—and failed to do so.

Markra had to admit, somewhere in the dark recesses of his heart, a small, devious part of him rather enjoyed watching the druid struggle to keep her composure.

“What’s wrong?” he asked, a smirk tugging at his lips. “Afraid it’ll bite if you’re not careful?”

Jaheira spun, eyes blazing, mouth open for a nasty retort—only to cringe when another shout from Minsc leaked through the door, along with the clang of tankards hitting the table. Music hummed through the wood as he led the patrons inside into a sea chanty—ignoring the fact they were nowhere near the sea.
    At her sides, Jaheira’s hands balled into fists.

“Oh, that man is an affront to Nature!” she huffed. “A ranger? More like a mockery! Did you see the way he handled that creature? That rodent, th-that…”

“Miniature-giant space hamster?” Markra asked.

“A perfectly normal-sized, bred by the earth hamster! By Silvanus’s might, I have every right to march in there and offer him a piece of my mind for—”

Before she could do just that, however, Khalid put his hands on his wife’s shoulders and eased her back a step.

“E-Easy, dear… Easy…” he urged her. “Remember what the a-archdruid said? To maintain Nature’s balance, o-one must also maintain—”

“—calm,” Jaheira finished. Though still shaking, she took a couple deep breaths through her nose. “I am calm. I am balanced, and I am…calm.”

She waited a few minutes more, until at last she reached for the door knob and twisted it around. “As calm as I can be, at any rate…”

The strum of bard strings and upbeat drums crashed into them as the door swung open. It seemed all of Nashkel’s soldiers had come to the inn to celebrate—or at least, a good many that had now been relinquished of their duties for the night. The innkeeper stayed safely behind the counter cleaning glasses as his waitress hurried to every table, dodging spills and mouthy men. At the largest table in the center, Minsc had his arms around a pair of uniformed soldiers, singing and swaying to the tune. Even the beer seemed to dance with them, sloshing inside their steins.

“Barrel o’er the sea, say I,
    The barrels filled with water!
    The only drink me sailors need
    Is a lap o’ our capn’s daughter!”

The song continued like that for a while, each stanza more ridiculous than the last. From what Markra gathered in the lyrics, it was about a ship journeying too slowly across the sea, and the sailors had to dump supplies overboard to increase their speed. Instead of despairing over what to lose and what to keep, the men insisted that they could throw everything overboard and somehow survive—thanks to the affections of their captain’s daughter.

Imoen hummed quietly along, no doubt having learned it from Winthrop. Markra’s head bobbed slightly to the tune, but Jaheira didn’t seem so impressed. The longer it went on, the deeper the frown creased on her face. Not even Khalid’s gentle back-rubbing could relax her.

As it finally ended, Minsc and his group raised their steins in the air chugged the last of their beer. Spectators surrounding them clapped and whistled as all three cups slammed on the table at once, completely empty. Minsc grinned from ear to ear—made even goofier by the mustache of foam over his lip—as he tossed a coin at the musicians behind him.

“A many thanks for the cheery tune, comrades!” the ranger bellowed. “A fine end to the villainy that gripped this town!”

The rest of the Naskhel soldiers shouted in agreement, toasting to one another. It was only until his miniature crowd had dispersed and returned to their mingling did Jaheira at last walk inside, everyone else following close behind.

Spotting them, Minsc’s eyes lit up and he raised his hand in greeting.

“Ah, you came!” he said. “Boo was beginning to wonder about you!”

Boo squeaked. Too small for him to notice before, Markra spotted the hamster perched on Minsc’s shoulder like a pirate’s parrot. How the little furball had managed to stay on during its master’s joyful singing, Markra could only begin to guess.

“We did,” Jaheira replied as she and the rest of them took seats around the table. “You look rather elated, ranger, considering your companion’s been kidnapped by gnolls.”

“One cannot give in to the sorrow wrought by evil, for that too is a part of its villainy! Just how are we to champion justice and deliver a swift butt-kicking if we are always down in the dumps?”

Though he said that, Minsc’s smile dipped slightly, and he wiped the mug foam off his face with a rag. “But, ah… It is hard to stay strong without Dynaheir. Boo said I needed cheering up.”

Another lively squeak. Markra raised an eyebrow, but he nodded at Minsc anyway. Yeah, the hamster told him to. Right. Just smile and nod, Markra. Nothing unusual about that.

“So!” Minsc began again, eager to change the subject. “Have you considered my quest, friends?”

“First we got some questions,” Imoen answered with the raise of her hand, as if she were still in school. “For one, when did ya say you and your Aunty Dyna got separated?”

“Aye! It must have been… Two nights ago now!”

“And yer sure she’s still a-okay? All peach and roses? All four limbs attached?”

“Imoen—” Markra began to scold her, but Minsc cut him off by ramming his fist on the table, so strongly the dinnerware jumped and rattled in place.

“My Dynaheir does not falter in the face of evil!” he shouted. “She is a powerful spellcaster, an invoker and trained wychlaran! Though vulnerable while she is alone and surrounded, I know she won’t succumb so easily!”

Rssk! hissed the hamster. Strange, in the pits of those dark, beady little eyes, Boo almost looked…sinister.

“W-We understand, Minsc,” Khalid recovered, ever the nervous diplomat, “b-but we must consider every p-p-possibility there is, i-if we are to risk our lives going a-after her.”

“Which leads us to our next question,” Jaheira continued. “Do you have any idea where these gnolls had come from, and where they might have taken her? Wild animals and monsters teem the Sword Coast, however I’ve yet to hear of any massive gnoll uprising this far south.”

Minsc chuckled. A low, throaty laugh paired with a twinkle in his eyes. “Ah, and now we get to the good part! Feast your eyes on this, heroes!”

Then he reached under the table and grabbed a scoll case. Once opened, he spread a map of the Sword Coast across the table, tossing plates and cups aside as he did. Markra recognized the familiar roads and rivers, the many tiny triangles that mapped the forests, and the houses marking towns and cities. Scribbled in the blank spaces were notes and arrows and question marks that barely qualified as chicken-scratch, let alone written words and symbols.

“These past two nights, I have been tracking the gnolls,” Minsc explained. “They are crafty creatures when they wish it, but none so clever as to deceive a ranger’s eye! Dynaheir and I had camped here, along the riverside, when they sprung from the bushes! Following their trail since, I have discovered they must have a base somewhere closeby!”

“And that somewhere is…?” Markra asked.

Minsc pointed at the map—southwest of Nashkel. “Somewhere down here!”

The four of them just stared at the map a while. Patrons chattered in the background, gossiped about the mine and the heroes who’d saved it. The same heroes now rendered dumbstruck.

“That’s all?” Jaheira asked after the long silence.

Minsc winced. “W-Well, Minsc is not so good with specifics… That is more Boo’s specialty. But I know it is somewhere in that area! Thereabouts. In general. Give or take a few days’ walk.”

“But you know nothing else about it?” Jaheira persisted. “You don’t know its geography, its distance? Do you even know the number gnolls expected to occupy this so-called ‘base’?”

“Oh, there will be many! Minsc is certain of that!” Though he scratched the back of his head sheepishly. “But just how much is ‘many’… That is less certain.”

Before anyone else could comment, Minsc immediately lowered his head and bowed again, looking rather desperate as he hovered over his empty stein and marked-up map.

“But that is why I’ve come to seek your aid!” he exclaimed. “Please, my Dynaheir… She is my charge. I have failed to protect her, and now, it is my duty to bring her back. If I cannot, then my dejemma, my passage, my pride as a warrior… None of it will matter. I will have lost a friend and an ally, and no amount of butt-kicking or Boo belly-scratches would ever be the same without her.”

Listening to him, watching the concern melt into his features and wax his earlier gusto, Markra’s tightly-clenched heart slowly opened up. Suddenly, he felt bad for acting so snarky before; strange and confusing and downright mad Minsc may be, he was still just a man, one who’d lost someone important to him. Though he couldn’t understand the language of miniature-giant space hamsters, Markra did understand that feeling of loss. Of grief. Of sheer desperation. He would turn all the realms upside-down if he thought it would bring back Gorion.

Try as he might, Gorion was lost to him and no amount of pleading and world-turning would ever bring him back. But Dynaheir… If she still lived, if they could really rescue her, Minsc could be spared of that pain. He wouldn’t have to drown himself in beer and song just to make himself feel better.

“It’s okay,” Markra spoke at last, and put a hand on the big man’s arm. “We’ll help you, Minsc. We’ll get her back.”

He didn’t have to look to feel Jaheira’s glare digging into him. Already he began to imagine the dozens of ways in which the druid could torture him. But it was worth it to see Minsc’s beaming smile stretch from ear to ear and see his spirit soar again.

“Ohh, praise be to Mielikki!” Minsc cried. “Thank you, my new friends! Together, we shall hunt down evil and roll it in a ball for kicking!”

“Well, that’s all fine and dandy,” Imoen began, tugging on Markra’s sleeve to get his attention, “but what about Tranzig? We don’t know how long he’s gonna hang out at Feldepost’s, and we don’t know how long it’ll take to rescue Dyna.”

Precisely,” Jaheira agreed through gritted teeth. “That gnoll camp lies in our opposite direction, Markra. A chance like this won’t come by again, and for the whole of the Sword Coast, we must get to the bottom of this Iron Crisis. Minsc, I’m sorry about your friend, and I wish we could help, but I simply don’t see how our paths may align. We cannot do both.”

Markra’s lips pursed. “Maybe we can.”

“What are you—”

“We split up. One group goes with Minsc to hunt down the gnolls, and the other heads to Beregost to interrogate Tranzig. Once Dynaheir’s safe, both groups can meet at Feldepost’s and exchange information from there.”

For the second time since Markra had known her, he’d shocked Jaheira into a gaping silence. Khalid’s eyes were almost as large as the plates beneath him. Imoen simply blinked and scratched her head, unsure what to think.

“Out of the question,” Jaheira immediately shot down.

“I-It’s not a terrible p-p-proposition…” Khalid stuttered, but winced at a glare from his wife. “B-But dangerous. And reckless. And certainly rash. But m-mostly dangerous.”

“Marky, you know I’ll follow ya til the ends of the Realms, no matter what you say,” Imoen added. “But uh… Are you sure about this?”

“It is risky,” he admitted, “and under better circumstances, I’d never suggest it. But I really think this is the best way for everyone to get what they want. With Minsc, we’ll send three people to the gnolls and two at Tranzig.”

“Three?” Jaheira bawked. “You don’t even know how many will be there, and you’re only sending three?”

“Four once we get Dynaheir back.”

“Assuming she still lives!”

“She does live!” Minsc interrupted, shaking his fist at Jaheira. “I know it in my heart of hearts, the warm, grumbly part of my soul! My Dynaheir is still alive!”

“By ‘warm and grumbly,’ you don’t mean your stomach, do ya?” Imoen asked.

“Ooh! Come to think of it, I’d forgotten to order food after singing! Oh, waitress!”

“Enough, both of you!” Jaheira shouted, banged her hands on the table, and shot to her feet. Imoen and Minsc flinched, but it was Markra who held her attention, all of her frustration. Markra vaguely remembered a phrase about the killing power of looks, but it was a feeble memory, faded and phantasmal next to the death-glare burrowing into him.

“C-Calm,” Khalid whispered beside her. “Remember the calm.”

She took in one shuddering breath. Held it, waited a few beats, and finally exhaled. Her face was still red. Her death-glare persisted. At least she kept her quarterstaff still slung on her back, but Markra had no idea how much longer that would last.

“Four people,” she said.

“Yes,” Markra agreed.

“Against dozens of gnolls.”

“Which are not much stronger than kobolds.”

“Traversing a road riddled with iron-hungry bandits.”

“No, the bandits are pillaging the roads between towns. They have no interest in the lowland areas leading to the gnoll camp.”

“And the other two interrogate Tranzig, a man we know nothing about with connections we also know nothing about.”

“What we do know is that he’s just one man, and two people should be more than enough to handle him.”

“Says the man who was nearly killed hours ago while surrounded by three of his friends.”

“Yeah, after two of those friends ran off like chickens without their heads.”

Jaheira’s cheeks burned, a mix of rage and fluster. Her fingers scraped against the table, curling into fists. “That was not—”

“—your fault,” Markra finished, gentler this time. “I know. I’m not blaming you. But Jaheira, while you and Khalid were helpless, Minsc stepped in—when he didn’t have to—and saved my life. Not just me either, but Imoen too. Shouldn’t we find some way to repay him?”

Slowly, as her gaze swept over her party and took in their expressions, Jaheira lost her edge. Less like a panther poised to spring and more like the thoughtful, intelligent woman Markra knew her to be—somewhere under all her bravado, at least. Chewing her lip, she looked at Minsc, then Imoen, then back at her husband. Khalid smiled and rubbed her back, and while Markra wasn’t married, he didn’t need to be to understand the loving gesture: “I’ve got you. Whatever you decide, I’m right here.”

She heaved a tired sigh and met Markra’s eyes again. “This isn’t a good idea.”

Not perfect, no, he silently agreed with her. Not by any means.

But in the end, he shrugged. “It’s the best I can do. Dynaheir will die if we don’t do something. Please, Jaheira, let’s help him. We owe him that much.”

Minsc nodded vigorously, almost jostling his poor hamster from its roost, but neither of them paid him any mind. Even the patrons around the inn seemed to quiet, curiously drawn to the spat, while the bards played a mellow tune in the background. To anyone else, the drop in volume would’ve simply signaled the end of a busy night, but to Markra’s sensitive ears, the whole multiverse may as well have stopped to listen.

At last, Jaheira drew back from him and stood over the table, the high and dignified leader again.

“Very well. We do this your way,” she decided at last. “Markra, for your insistence that we aid the ranger in his quest, you will be accompanying Minsc to the gnoll camp, along with Khalid. Imoen, you and I will head to Beregost and accost Tranzig.”

“HUZZAH!” Minsc leaped from his seat, chair legs scathing across the floor. Then he dipped down and grabbed Markra in a giant bear hug around the shoulders. “Minsc and Boo would ask for no better heroes to save Dynaheir from her captors! Many thanks again, my pointy-eared friend!”

“No problem,” Markra squeaked out, and heaved for breath once Minsc released him and his windpipe. Beaming, the ranger cradled Boo in both his hands and scratched his little ears affectionately.

“Now, come, Boo! Adventure comes at the crack of dawn, and we’ve much to do to prepare!”

Squee, squeal! chirped the hamster, and with barely a wave goodnight, Minsc charged down the hallway and disappeared into one of the rooms.

Jaheira slumped back in her seat. “The ranger speaks true… If we are all in agreement, then we should retire for the evening.”

Neither Khalid nor Imoen voiced any protest, but Marka’s lips pursed. He wanted to help Minsc, and he knew as soon as he accepted his quest that he would be part of the rescue. But he’d be leaving without Imoen, and in truth, he was far more interested in what they’d learn from Tranzig in Beregost. Though he’d convinced the druid of his plan, her chosen combination wasn’t quite what he’d wanted.

But it’d took all he had to confront Jaheira, driven her to the edge of her patience and barely kept her from tipping over. Markra had no desire to push her further. After one final look around the table, Jaheira nodded and leaned her head toward her husband.

“Then, Khalid my dear,” she sighed. “it is late. Let us go to bed.”

“O-Of course,” he soothed her, took her hand and walked her to their room.

Once they’d gone, Markra sighed and hung his head. “Well, if she didn’t hate me before, she sure does now.”

“Aw, don’t be like that,” Imoen reassured as she patted his shoulder. “I think she’s warming up to ya! At least she didn’t start yelling at you this time.”

“Somehow, that doesn’t make me feel any better.”

“Little victories, Marky! Keep addin’ up those little victories, and you’ll win her over someday! Ya just gotta keep up the good fight!”

She balled her hands into fists and punched the air before her like a cage fighter to a crowd, complete with breathy sound effects. But Markra wasn’t so impressed, rolling his eyes at her.

“Uh-huh. Right.” Then he rose to his feet and stretched. “Well, until then, I’m gonna go take a bath. We’ve got another long trip ahead of us tomorrow, and I’m not starting it by smelling like sulfur.”

“Okay!” Imoen complied, but a second later her grin disappeared, replaced by a pout. “Hey, I wanted the bath first!”

“Oh?” He’d already turned on his heel, but flashed a smirk over his shoulder. “Would you like to come join me?”

“Haha, nope!” she yelped, and even crossed her arms over her chest like a giant X. Just as Markra knew she would.

“You’ll just have to wait ‘til I’m out, then,” he said with a shrug.

“Meanie-head! Tub-snatcher! Conniver of all things hygienic! May the gods have mercy on your soul for stealing a girl’s rightful bath-time!”

Shaking his head—but smiling now—Markra pushed in his chair at the table and followed the rest of his companions down the hall. Already he dreamed of steamy hot water and herbal soaps rejuvenating his soul, so close he could almost smell them.