Skip to content

Wild cheese

So, I've been wondering what are some wild mage cheese tactics, or just some of the strangest thing you had happen while playing a wild mage or Neera?

The only cheese tactic I know of doesn't even work anymore since you can't put the chaos Shields into contingencies.

As far as weird, I still have an unsolved mystery which I lost all my evidence of. While fightimg the djinn outside of tradesmeet, I had a wild surge that did nothing, but I wasn't fully paying attention which costed my charname his life. Instead of the game over screen, charname Resurrected two seconds later just as confused as I was, and ready for round 2!

This was on a completely unmodded game.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    I think the main feature of the wild mage in from mid to late SoA and ToB - spamming lvl 9 and other high-level spells through the first level spell slots due to having majorly positive wild surges can be called a "cheese tactic".

Not that I don't like using it.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @bengoshi
    Part of the reasons I don't use the chaos Shields, because the fun is real, that and I tend to forget about them.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The one other Wild Mage-type trick, which unfortunately also does not work on EE, is to map Nahal's Reckless Dweomer to a hotkey, which lets you cast the spell even if you don't have it memorized. It works for all bards, sorcerers, and single-, multi-, and dual-classed mages, but only Wild Mages have a buffer in vanilla against wild surges.
  • Also, Nahal's seems to bypass the normal one spell per round limit, so if you're gutsy or have a lot of positive modifiers to your wild surge rolls, you can string them together to get a pseudo-Improved Alacrity effect.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @kaigen
    Funny story, BG 1... First wild mage play through, that was one of the first things I did. I was trying to spam cloud kill with it...it didn't really work in my favor though.