Skip to content

Mage Robes

I'm about to go to Baldurs Gate and I'm trying to clear out my inventory.
In Cloakwood Mines I obtained quite a few Mage robes, but I'm not sure which would be the best to equip my Mage with. I've already sold quite a few, including the Evil Archmagi one because I'm using Xan. The ones I have left are the Knave's Robe, the Traveler's Robe and the Fire, Electricity and Cold Resistance Robes. Which one would be the most useful for Xan in Baldur's Gate?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited October 2015
    If you don't oppose to a micro-managing, swapping robes depending on the situation your mage deals with is the best way.

See (from your scout) enemy archers appoaching - put on the Traveler's Robe (a +1 bonus to armor class against missile weapons). Have a situation when your mage will be one on one with a melee enemy with a sword - put on the Knave's Robe (a +1 bonus to armor class against slashing weapons). See spiders - put on the Knave's Robe again (+ 1 bonus vs. death). See a lighting bolt firing into you from a trap - put on the Electricity Resistance Robe (and Boots of Grounding).

So, I prefer to keep all of them and use when I need.

If you want less micro-managing and more free space in the inventory, keep the Traveler's Robe, because missile attacks are the most dangerous in BG1 for a low-HP mage without a helmet.

I also suggest checking this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/15776/what-robe-do-you-prefer-for-your-mage, especially the @lunar 's answer from there.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Can robes be changed during combat? I believe you can only put them on when no hostiles are in sight, like armour.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited October 2015
    @PK2748 Well, you can only buy one.... KILL SHANDALAR! He has the other one. ;) Good luck!
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    GemHound said:

@PK2748 Well, you can only buy one.... KILL SHANDALAR! He has the other one. ;) Good luck!

Killing Shandalar should be done every playthrough, regardless of whether you need his clothing or not.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    The bonuses on regular robes are so minor they doesn't make that bif of a difference, IMHO. I usually just pick the one I find most stylish and keep it 'til I get a arch magi one. So my advice would be to sell all of them 'cept one, doesn't matter much which one. I usually pick AC ones.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    At one time I had an item mod that would take the four elemental robes (I had created a Robe of Acid Resistance, as well) and combine them in to one robe giving all the bonuses--25% resistance to fire, cold, electricity, and acid. I do not know what happened to those files, though, so I would have to recreate it.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Traveler's robe is your best option early on. There are enough missile using critters that jump out at you, that he 180 A.C. it provides is beneficial over everything else. If you also have the boots of missile avoidance, yoy can keep your mage at a distance and not worry about a stray arrow killing him (unless they crit).

You shouldnt be tanking with a mage early on, so the Knave's robes are pointless and elemental damage is rare that metagaming their use can be time consuming and pointless.

If you ate swimming in gold, getting the robes if neutral arch magi is your best option and looks the coolest.
  • At one time I had an item mod that would take the four elemental robes (I had created a Robe of Acid Resistance, as well) and combine them in to one robe giving all the bonuses--25% resistance to fire, cold, electricity, and acid. I do not know what happened to those files, though, so I would have to recreate it.

At this point you could probably just steal the Robe of Invocation (normally acquired during Neera's SoA quest) as a shortcut to recreating it, as it gives 20% elemental resistances.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Kaigen said:

At this point you could probably just steal the Robe of Invocation (normally acquired during Neera's SoA quest) as a shortcut to recreating it, as it gives 20% elemental resistances.

I was unaware of that item; I haven't gone through BG2EE with Neera. Of course, I haven't gone through BG2EE with *anyone* but that is another story altogether.