Skip to content

There's a way to always make screenshots in the JPEG format right off

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
As you all know, when you press "Print Screen" while playing you create a screenshot that is a .bmp file.

The problem I and all those people who like to document their runs, making screenshots for the future, have is that .bmp files are large. I mean, they're about 5 MB per image.

If you want to load such a screenshot anywhere, it will take time, and an internet page full of these screenshots will become a problem to load on your devices. It's especially important for threads that are reports about IE runs/playthroughs.

Today I've found a small program, called "snapper" http://www.michielovertoom.com/software/snapper/ that lets you make screenshots in the JPEG format.

You install a program, run it, then run your game and press "Print Screen".

The same image will be of 500 KB, not 5 MB. With this program you can set a folder where your screenshots will be saved, you can even adjust their quality.

With that format and size, new screenshots will be easy and quick to load on any site, and a page full of these screenshots will load a lot quicker.

By the way, using this program doesn't block your screenshots saving in their vanilla directory in .bmp files. But in the folder you want, you get all your screenshots in JPEG format.

It's very easy to use.

I can't express how happy I am to find out this.

BTW, the program will work in any circumstances and will let you to make screenshots wherever you want (in other games, or just when you're web-surfing).

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    bengoshi said:

It's very easy to use.

I can't express how happy I am to find out this.

BTW, the program will work in any circumstances and will let you to make screenshots wherever you want (in other games, or just when you're web-surfing).

I agree, bengoshi. This thing is great.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    Cool, I made mine go from 5.93 mb to about 297 kb with this only its not showing my game.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Looks nice, but I think I'll stick to IrfanView's batch conversion. It's quick, versatile, and it doesn't take up resources when I'm not using it.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    IrfanView is another good one. But Snapper doesn't seem to take up that much from the computer. The Task Manager says it's only using 4.4 MB of memory, which is less than half that of the Task Manager itself or an Excel sheet.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    you can also, like, press Cmd+Shift+3 to take an instant screenshot in a .png format
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    Think I'll stick to gimp :smile:
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    On Windows I use Snagit. On Mac, I use the keyboard shortcut mentioned above.