Skip to content

The Adventures of Sir (Lord) Gawain in Faerun (Pre-Camelot) (Minimum Reload - Spoiler Warning)

1235»

Comments

• CharlestonianTemplarCharlestonianTemplar Member Posts: 855
    Gawain, Auren, Amber, Anomen, Keldorn & Imoen in Spellhold Asylum

The path through the pass leading up to Spellhold Asylum was swarming w/what I counted as eight Wraiths, five Umber Hulks, & one Minotaur which we quickly defeated.

It didn’t take long for Spellhold Asylum to become of interest. The Coordinater insisted on showing me/us around but something about his voice…Irenicus! We didn’t get far into his tour before I gave the sign to attack. He slipped into a Shadow Door or used Teleportation to get away, threatening as he vanished.

I’m a little confused here. I feel like I battled Irenicus first (again things happened so fast I’ve gotten ‘turned around’ in my own mind. But, I also ended up in a ‘mouse maze’ where Bodhi confronted me gleefully and turned me/us loose to navigate a dungeon for her enjoyment or observation, maybe both. I’ll just assume my notes are in order so I’ll follow them. The most important thing about Bodhi’s ‘maze’ was I was reunited w/my little sister, Imoen. I’m overjoyed to have her by my side again, now that I know she is my half-sister biologically but she’s not half anything. She’s always been my best friend. How wonderful to know she is my little sister.

I mostly have lists of monsters we defeated in the dungeon’s three levels. First on my list is a Yuan-Ti Mage & five Yuan-Ti that I don’t remember fighting but obviously we killed them b/c I wouldn’t have made the notes otherwise. What I do remember is battling about seven Umber Hulks in the first passage to the left. Maybe the Yuan-Ti were there. I also have a Fire, two Smoke, two Ice & two Air Mephit’s, four Gibberling’s & two Mutated Gibberling’s. I made a note about Kobold Captain that seems out of place w/o Kobolds to Captain.

I do remember the Mist Horror down in the dungeons as well as a Mummy & two Ghasts. I especially recall fighting & defeating a Bone Golem, Greater Mummy & two Skelton Warrior’s. This was a little challenging, mostly b/c we were packed into a doorway during the battle. Just down the hall we came upon a Vampire & two Dire Wolves who battled us. We killed him but I’d tossed all my stakes out thinking I wouldn’t need them but it turns out I did. Not being able to destroy him completely we later encountered two Vampire Apparitions & had to defeat them also. (Imoen/18)

There was a cave in the dungeon w/three Imps, three Kobold Shaman, two Kobold Witch Doctors, four Kobold Commando & six Kobolds. They worshipped a big crystal sculpture & I took a piece but never used it b/c I couldn’t figure out where it might be the key to something. I dropped it in the Underdark, needing to make room for all the loot we were carrying.

Somewhere we found a stake but it was nowhere near the Vampire. I immediately took it, removed the cover to the sarcophagus & drove a stake thru the Vampires heart. After I did so, the Vampire thanked me profusely for releasing him from his curse & gave me his severed hand to allow me to navigate past a huge statue.

We later came upon & defeated a Spirit Troll & three Trolls, four Minotaur’s& a Troll, a Gauth & three Minotaur’s, three Goblin Commandos & two Kobold Commando’s, an Otyugh, two Myconids & three Steam Mephits, a Sahuagin Baron, two Sahuagin Baronial Guards & a Mind Flayer.

There was a statue that asked riddles that we solved, that is except one - good to have 100% protection from electricity. (Keldorn 14, Gawain 16)

The last challenge in this dungeon was in a room w/a huge Minotaur Statue surrounded by Bodhi & two Vampiress’. Another challenging battle stuck in a hallway w/the Vampiress’ casting Domination into a closed space that most of us were packed into. After a struggle, we managed to knock off the two Vampiress’ who were close to taking out Imoen & Amber (the only weakness Auren has is that she seems to be very susceptible to mind altering spells). In this case she was stuck in the doorway making it hard for me to get to Bodhi but eventually I did so & started taking her out quickly. And then it happened! I don’t actually remember now but my followers do! I turned into a Massive beast w/four arms, powerful in every way. I destroyed everything near me they say & then started attacking them. Then I evidently just turned back in myself, at least what I thought was myself. Everyone had worked around me & were down the hall we’d came thru or in the room past it. As soon as I came to, I suddenly realized this creature was @ my disposal on a whim, IF I want to succumb to the darkness, the embodiment of evil to do it. The last thing I remember is Bodhi, as much a cowardess as her brother is a coward, turning tale & escaping before I killed her…& as she did I felt a darkness suck me in to whatever was there. When I first got my senses back, I didn’t know where I was for a few moments. Amber has been watching me closely since then & been given comfort to my restless thoughts & sleepless nights.

On the way out of the dungeon I ran into Saemon Havarian. My first thought was to split him in two for betraying me & costing Minsc his life in that Vampire ambush. He (somewhat) convinced me to spare him being quartered by claiming that it was Bodhi who coerced him into betraying me/us. He advised me to let all of the Irenicus’ subjects loose to assist me in confronting Irenicus. That sounded wise so I gave him a reprieve b/c Irenicus was/is the focus of my vengeful nature. I did exactly that after I paid a Gnome to let them out. He released them & I got them together. One of them was that insane Gnome we met in Beregost (on a side note he did need to be in the Asylum). He wanted to fight Irenicus himself, but I convinced him to work together but let him think he was leading the assault. We headed straight for Irenicus & I wanted to cut him down more than I ever wanted to kill Sarevok. He was genuinely surprised, even complimentary, about us having joined forces w/his former ‘subjects’. I had no time to think but as he exploded in anger, I divided my lance & sent Auren, Keldorn & Amber to the right back corner while I took Anomen & Imoen with me to the left back corner, both behind Irenicus. I wanted to observe Irenicus for a second before I just rushed us in. The ‘subjects’ were all directing spells @ Irenicus & it was obvious they were not to be taken lightly either. Keldorn started casting back to back Dispel Magic on Irenicus which could have been good or bad depending on what the ‘subjects’ had cast @ him. Things got confused @ this point b/c a clone of each of us appeared @ attacked us. I made an on the spot tactical decision for us to get rid of them first & let Irenicus deal w/the other spellcasters until we did. We were knocking the clones out one @ a time but it wasn’t easy. It was then that I realized Irenicus had summoned a Fallen Diva. I had us all turn our attention on the Diva & it wasn’t long before it fell. Irenicus had moved over to the same side of the room. We were still dealing w/two or three clones. W/Irenicus amongst us, I was able to see that he was injured so I had those nearest him, concentrate on him to see if our weapons would land. Sure enough, Auren & I splattered blood all over everything as both our blades landed @ once (47 & 27 HP damage respectively). It wasn’t long before the bastard decided to run like a little girl (I don’t say that out loud w/Auren & Amber around). He bailed, killing his former allies & leaving three Assassins. It amazes me that Rogues attack Auren, she cuts them in half in two blows. They weren’t long for this world. Damn, Irenicus! Conniving coward! I could’ve killed him right there but he’s a milksop! I WILL kill him. (Auren/15, Anomen 12/Cl/F/11)

DEFEATING IRENICUS - FOR NOW

Havarian popped up again after the battle & offered us escape on his ship if we’d meet him later @ the inn. I wasn’t surprised that it turned out that he didn’t actually have ship & that we’d have to steal the Pirate Lords ship but after the way he acted toward me/us I had no problem w/the plan…after all they are pirates & it’s just as likely as not that they stole the ship anyway. As expected Desharik & his goons attacked, I think there was a Mage but she wasn’t in my written on my parchment notes. I did scribble, ‘four Pirates & a Fisherman’, but I can’t recall killing a fisherman either. He must have become aggressive for some reason. So much has happened I can’t remember the details. So we took the Pirate Lord’s ship. The ship was attacked by Githyanki & we slayed a few of them before the ship started to capsize. Havarian, another coward, swam off & left us as the ship was sucked down to, to…well, I’ll write tomorrow. I need to rest.
    BlackravenCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
    Gawain, Auren, Amber, Anomen, Keldorn & Imoen in Sahuagin City

We awoke in a city of Sahuagin. I guess it was a good thing that they thought we were the key to a prophesy given to them by their shark deity. There was a High Priestess that backed us the entire time so we were never ambushed. She took us to the ‘mad king.’ Who was flanked be one of his Barons who wasn’t a prophesy believer. The High Priestess continued to support us but there was another Priestess alongside the Baron who was against us also. We ended up having to battle an Ettin that we killed almost instantly but once that was done, the king was convinced we were indeed the (I can’t remember what he called us) ones the prophesy spoke of.

We returned w/the High Priestess to the alter after learning that we were needed to battle some rebels. But then thing’s changed & she wanted us to find the Rebel Prince & help him overthrow ‘the mad king’. I actually trusted her, if nothing else b/c she truly believed we were the ones to bring the prophesy to fruition. We trekked into the ‘rebel end’ of the city under the premise that once we brought the Rebel Prince back to over throw the mad king we would, 1) get to clean out the treasure vault & 2) continue our pursuit of Irenicus. I had to play along, & heard about it from my advisors, but we were in a undersea Sahuagin City. W/o assistance I saw no way out. Finding an ally in the High Priestess was a means to that end. The fact that she could aid us in following Irenicus was a plus.

So we headed into Rebel territory & immediately swatted two Sword Spiders & two Ettercaps before we found some Imps guarding several treasure chests w/famous personages from Faerun in front of each. We solved the riddle & garnered a bit of treasure. (Imoen/19) We also defeated a Beholder (Spectator); a Sahuagin Priestess, three (greater) Sahuagin Rebels, three Sahuagin & 10 Sahuagin Rebels before we finally found the Rebel Prince. He trusted us enough to send us back to the mad king to assassinate him. We headed back but didn’t have to assassinate the mad kind b/c he turned on us & called us betrayers & attacked. When it was done, both King Ixilthetocal & Baron Thelokkassyil lay dead as well as two Royal Sahuagin Guards. The new Sahuagin King kept his word & let us go to follow Irenicus so we headed off to the…
    BlackravenCrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
    Gawain, Auren, Amber, Anomen, Keldorn & Imoen in the Underdark

When we arrived in the Underdark, I questioned maybe for the first time in a long time, my ability to guide my followers thru this place. I shouldn’t have doubted b/c it wasn’t just me, it’s been us all along.

Our first steps led us into battle w/four Air Elementals that came out of a portal in the wall. We destroyed them but realized that they came continuously out of the portal so I had us move beyond sight & they didn’t follow.

One of the toughest battles we fought while in the Underdark was versus a Kuo-Toa Leader, two Kuo-Toa Wizards, Kuo-Toa Priest, three Kuo-Toa Monitors, a Kuo-toa Warrior & Kuo-Toa Whelps. My mistake here was to hold back instead of attacking full bore. I allowed the Kuo-Toa spellcasters to cast believing their protections to be greater than they were. By the end of the battle, Anomen, Imoen & Keldorn had fallen unconscious b/c of their wounds. Eventually, out of desperation & wounded myself, I took my focus off of the Warrior’s & Monitor’s to attack one of the Wizards. I struck a blow right off & realized our focus needed to be on the casters. Auren, Amber & I then cut them down easily before finishing the rest. I had to use a charge from our Rod of Resurrection to bring Anomen back to us. He, in turn, had to use his two Raise Dead spells to bring the others back to consciousness so that we could return to our encampment to heal.

After resting, we walked what seemed like forever across the Underdark until we came upon some stairs leading down. We were instantly sealed into an IIllithid City & the next thing I knew we were in a small cell. After a few hours a Massive Ogre, our jailor, came & told us we had to fight for the entertainment of Illithid’s. We suddenly found ourselves in a pit surrounded by darkness above from where I knew the Illithid’s were watching. We were led out to battle three now dead Umber Hulks. Back in the cell we found we could open the door to the next cell that contained about seven Githyanki. I thought, “Here we go,” but instead the leader suggested we work together to escape. We would be fighting whatever was in the pit w/the Githyanki as our allies. The Githyanki leader said that they would use their own abilities to block the psionic abilities of the Mind Flayers. We were to kill whatever we were led in to battle out to be find their way out after finishing w/the Illithid’s. We killed the Kuo-Toa but initially went out the wrong door before finding the right one & heading out into the IIllithid City. We worked thru what turned out to be easy to kill Mind Flayers, five of them to a room full of slaves lying on slabs. In another room we found the liquid needed to awaken them. We agreed to try & open the exit so that they could escape. Their leader said they could find the way out if we’d only open the way.

There always seems to be a battle that’s tougher than I expect it to be, but then there are those I expect to be the Nine Hells of Toril, & we defeat them in one or two attacks. This one was the former but somehow I didn’t lose anyone. The presence of two Ulithids along with one Mind Flayer & two Umber Hulks made the encounter much more difficult. We were cramped in a hallway w/Umber Hulks in front of us & Illithid’s & a Mind Flayer amongst us. I managed to put one of four collars on one of the Illithid’s who immediately starting working four us. We’d gotten the collars from the Slave Leader & he told us they’d help us w/the Illithid’s. Sure enough, he tried to help but got right up near the Umber Hulks & he succumbed to his blows. Both Imoen & Amber were confused from some spell or psionic weapon the Illithid’s used, so we had to try & protect them too. Meanwhile, I was between the Mind Flayer & an Umber Hulk. I chose to deal w/the Umber Hulks & allow Anomen & Keldorn to work over the Ulllithid & the Mind Flayer. I took a couple or three hard whacks & had to work on three Umber Hulks @ the same time. Unfortunately, one of the Illithid’s had successfully cast Domination on Auren. You haven’t lived until you find yourself fighting monsters & trying to avoid Auren’s destructive sword blows. Keldorn & Anomen focused their efforts on the Ullithid & then they finished off the Mind Flayer. Keldorn quickly backed up & cast Dispel Magic on Auren to stop her constant attacks on me. It actually worked on Auren, Imoen & Amber so we were all in our right minds. We rested back near where the slaves were waiting before heading back into the city. There were only two doors we’d not yet opened. One was the exit @ about 1 bell & the other was @ 10 bells, neither of which we could open. Also in the room were our seven Githyanki allies. They were leaving us behind. No one was surprised that they hosed us. They disappeared & were gone after a few words. I couldn’t open either door & then I remembered The Slayer (at least that’s what I call it but I haven’t shared that w/anyone else). I consciously made the decision to give of myself to help us find the way out of here & became the monster. I saw myself ripping the door out of the wall while the rest of them stayed in a room down the hall w/the door shut until I hailed for them. We ended up destroying two Ulithids before I chose to use The Slayer again. The problem w/this is that I realize to use this ability is to give myself over to pure evil as means to an end. I feel myself slipping & somehow falling in favor in the eyes of someone or something. In this case, someone larger than me turned this curse into a blessing as The Slayer single handedly & easily destroyed the Illithid’s Master brain, two Brain Golem’s & an Umber Hulk. (Auren/16, Imoen/20) I could see thru the creatures eyes as I controlled its movements & crushed our enemy but I still felt the evil draining away something inside.

SLAYER VERSUS THE MASTER BRAIN

After a well-deserved rest of eight bells of rest we came upon another tunnel, this one to the south…only it wasn’t a tunnel. It was a cave where we easily popped a Beholder & an Elder Orb. We’d used a bit of magic on them so we went back to our encampment. After we left we found another of those portals but this one ended up spitting out 11 Earth Elementals that we eliminated almost as quickly as they appeared. I was trying to see if there was an end to how many would appear but they just kept going so I led the last few away from the portal until we were beyond line of sight. Then we walked the wrong direction & stumbled onto the portal w/the Air Elementals, four of them, but I got us out of there after finishing them. No sense hitting the wind all day. Just north of our camp we found some cracks in the rock & blew thru five Mind Flayers. In another place where we found cracks that went into the walls of the Underdark, we stumbled on a Drow Priestess & three Drow & right behind them another Drow Priestess & a Drow w/an Efreeti. If there really are god’s they must be blessing us b/c the Drow were much less a challenge than I anticipated. Sometimes we have to hack a while to get thru the spellcasters but soon enough our weapons land & the affair ends quickly after that, we found yet even another crevice in the rocks where we defoliated a Myconid King, three Spore Colonies & six Myconids.

The last area we found in the north wall of the Underdark was a Svirfenblin Village. It was turned out to be a place we could rest & sell loot gathered down there. But before we could use it as a haven we had to help the Svirfenblin w/a creature they discovered while mining. He said that we’d need to cave the rock in on top of the dead monster when we’d killed it. He gave us a scroll for that & we rested before heading out. Once we awoke, we donned our armor & weapons & headed off to where the creature was. We descended a mining shaft. As soon as we reached the bottom of the steps the monster immediately starting appearing from some magic ability (I have to figure out what that spell is). The monster appeared but it wasn’t just a monster. It was a huge Balor Demon.

In later years these were called Type VI Demons (the largest one was Balor). Only were six known to exist at that time but now scholars believe there could be hundreds of thousands or more. No longer called Type VI Demon’s, they are now called by the species name, Balor, after the largest & most powerful of their kind. They are Tanar’ri, one of the subtypes of demons, the other being the much older Obyriths. At one time they were all called Demons but that was really before anyone new about the more ancient Obyriths.

Facing Balor himself (it obvious it was THE Balor), I had the spellcasters, including Imoen, remain back & throw everything they could @ it. That included Keldorn’s Dispel Magic, Anomen’s Bolt of Glory, Flame Strike & Holy Smite, two each Imoen’s Greater Malison, Magic Missile & Amber’s Contagious Eye & three Blinding Eyes. In the meantime Auren & I went straight for the ‘jugular’. At one point I dropped my own Flame Strike on him as I can use it next to instantly. Keldorn was pumping out his Dispel Magic one right after the other & Anomen also used his. Meanwhile, Balor was dropping a constant rain of an extremely powerful & painful Unholy Blight on all of us & it was wounding w/every drop. I don’t know what it was or who it was but either Auren or I landed a blow & then the door was open. Every other blow between the two of us caused more damage & I called Anomen, Keldorn & Amber in to use their individual weapons. Then blows landed more & more causing more & more damage, especially Auren. We were racing against time b/c Balor’s abilities are @ will so we weren’t ‘breaking up a spell’ by landing blows. All of us were wounded, Keldorn, Anomen, Auren & I the most. I don’t know if was a Death Gaze or something else but as we were cutting him down he knocked both Anomen & Keldorn out of the fight & I was beginning to get desperate. We needed to finish him. As wounded as she was Auren kept trying to finish him, as did I, when one of us did so. Neither of us knows, or cares, who destroyed him. We’re just thankful to be alive. With our Rod of Resurrection (two of them), we were able to Resurrect Anomen who used two Raise Dead spells to bring Anomen & Keldorn back to consciousness. We rested a full day. W/Anomen’s Heal spell he was able to heal quickly back to full strength.

DESTROYING BALOR
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
    Gawain, Auren, Amber, Anomen, Keldorn & Imoen in Ust Natha

After resting in the Svirfenblin Village, we travelled to the NE corner of the Underdark looking for more crevices that might lead us out of here. We found a bridge leading N & set out to cross it when we were ambushed by Five Drow. I really expected this to be a challenge & it was excerpting but not much more. The biggest problem, that continues to plague us, was being stuck on a bridge w/Drow in of front & behind us. After selling what we could to some Underdark Duerger Merchants we rested in the Svirfenblin Village before continuing across the bridge. The bridge led down into a pitch black stairway. The Svirfenblin leader had given me a gem that cut through the darkness or there’d be no way for us to negotiate the descent. At the bottom of the staircase was a massive Silver Dragon. She was a very proud dragon, rightfully so. She was a fantastic specimen: Large, adult (female) & the gems light made her look spectacular. Scholars used to think Silver Dragons were Lawful & Good but more recently, after many more have been encountered, they believe most, if not all, Metallic Dragons were actually unaligned. The Dragoness was not hostile @ any point despite her haughtiness. She wanted only one thing. Her eggs had been stolen by Drow. She asked us to retrieve her eggs from the Drow City of Ust Natha & in return she would open the passage that leaves from the Underdark & give us a powerful weapon from her treasure. She had the power to change our appearance to that of Drow to help us into the city. If Irenicus & Bodhi are in that city I’m going & the Dragoness made it that much easier.

Next up was the Drow City of Ust Natha. We walked right into a market & were able to buy a pant load of Potions, like 30,000gp it seems. I can’t remember exactly how it happened but as I recall we talked w/a Imrae, Matron Mother, who directed us to a Drow Commander Soluafein who we met in the Male Fighters Society. I knew Drow had a female dominated society but seeing it up close was another matter. Soluafein served the Matron Mother we’d spoken to earlier & he served unquestioningly. Then Imrae made him responsible for her daughter Phaere & that was truly amusing. After that I became Phaere’s ‘top male’ & Soluafein just became an uncomfortable middle man. There was no way here to go ‘rogue’ until I knew I wasn’t insuring our death here. I made my mind up that if I was asked to do something evil, that I’d draw the line @ that point & face the consequences. The first time I met Phaere, we were sent by Imrae to rescue her from some (three) Mind Flayers & three Umber Hulk’s, a mission we accompanied by Soluafein on & one in which he was of little use. I/we aided Phaere in destroying a Beholder & then she asked us to meet her again in three days. On the way out of Ust Natha we ran into & were attacked by an adventurer party w/what seemed to be a Cleric, Mage, a Dwarf & a Rogue who thought us Drow. They were likely good but there was no opportunity for us to tell them otherwise & we were forced to defend ourselves to the death – theirs. I had a really bad feeling after that. We returned to our old encampment, no wanting to endanger the Svirfenblin. We’d only rested a little over a day & had to beat off 20 Lizard Men when we were attacked by Soluafein who lasted not quite the time it took all of us to draw our weapons. Unfortunately, somehow three days turned into something like one day & one third & we were known in Ust Natha. I expected an Army of Drow to be waiting outside the city but we were able to walk right in. We carefully moved forward this time hoping not to be caught in a massive ambush. We battled a Drow Warrior, an Ogre Berserker & a Giant Spider. After that we began what turned out to be a full on assault on the City of Ust Natha. Without ever stopping we plowed through seven Drow & a Drow Torturer near the Ust Natha Bazaar/Aboleth Tank (Gawain/18). Since we were barely scratched & the battle was a breeze we moved on toward the Tavern still expecting to be challenged, especially w/o a real Mage. Instead we easily offed seven Drow of various abilities & skill levels before heading out to the Walkways where we defeated a Drow Priestess, a Drow Slave Trader, three Drow, two Mind Flayers & a Giant Spider. Still unfazed I elected to continue on so we went to the upper level walkways but found nothing there. I didn’t want to lose our momentum nor did I want the Drow to regroup so I led us to attack the Temple of Lolth. Inside we killed a Handmaiden of Lolth, a Drow Executioner, four Ritual Guards, four Matron’s Guards & two Egg Guards. We found the eggs & we searched the Temple hoping to find Lolth herself. I had hoped there’d be a way for the Drow to reach their queen from here but she wasn’t here so that battle didn’t happen. It’s probably a good thing b/c we certainly weren’t able to face her @ that moment b/c we’d had some more challenging action in the temple. It was strange as we left Ust Natha. There was not a living Drow or creature anywhere. Best I could tell, we’d wiped out the city. There were two buildings we could get into b/c of wards so I don’t know what was there but everything we could find alive was destroyed.

CRUSHING THE DROW

Back in the Svirfenblin Village for the last time we spent a few hours gathering our strength before we went back to Adalon in her finished lair. She gave us an enchanted Mace (Skullcrusher +3) before transporting us to a ledge leading into series of caverns & some Elven Temple ruins which led up near the city of Suldanesseller. The ledge was a tough battlefield, even w/Adalon aiding us in human form. We battled there & defeated two Drow, an Aerial Servant & two Skeletons. Once past that challenge we entered the Elven ruined temple area where we killed six Drow, two Ogre, Berserkers, a Giant Spider, & a Huge Spider. The Elves continued to implore us to go the surface but we insisted on aiding them. Eventually, we went to the surface where an Elf encampment was located & met w/the Elven Commander Elhan. Elhan wanted us to continue our pursuit of Bodhi to retrieve from her something called the Rhynn Lanthorn. This item would allow them to reveal & enter Suldanesseller, the Elven City once more. Evidently Irenicus & Bodhi had somehow put an illusion or other spell over Suldanesseller so that the elves were unable to enter or see it. We agreed to assist them & were given free pass to travel in/out of the Elven encampment. Elhan gave us some Elven Holy Water & vampire stakes to aid me. We couldn’t buy/sell anything there so we headed back to Athkatla to prepare our pursuit of Irenicus/Bodhi. On the way we met Drizzt Do’Urden & his party who agreed after speaking with us to assist in battling Bodhi in the in her lair. This is the second time I’ve met Drizzt. Imoen was w/me last time when we battled w/him versus some Gnolls near Fisherman’s Lake. Bodhi might be a little more challenging w/Imoen’s essence strengthening her.

Once we arrived in Athkatla we were almost immediately ambushed by the same Githyanki we temporarily allied ourselves w/in the Ullithid City. We had our guard down & that battle against the Githyanki was extremely tough. It became apparent that their leader was THE Supreme Leader of the Githyanki, Gith himself. In addition there was at least one Githyanki Anti-Paladin, a Githyanki Knight & four other Githyanki. We one another tough fight & were lucky not to lose anyone. (Anomen Cl/13/F12)

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 28,651gp) Armor/Weapons: Sentinal +4, Full Plate Mail +1 (sold); Darkmail +3 (Minsc); Blade of the Roses +3; Mace +3 Skullcrusher, Flail +3, Shield of Balduran (sold), Helm of Charm Protection (Auren); Katana +2 (Valygar), Wyvern Tail (Keldorn); Plate Mail +1 (sold), Full Plate Mail, Hangard’s Axe +2 (sold), Club +2 Gnasher (sold), Small Shield +2 (sold), Battle Axe +1 (sold), Plate Mail x2; Ardulia’s Fall +1; Jewelry/Gold: Pearly White Ioun Stone (sold),Laeral’s Tear Necklace (sold, two King’s Tears (sold), Star Sapphire (sold), three Emeralds (sold), two Diamonds (sold), 2,577gp, 890gp, 130gp, 112gp, 102gp, 100gp x2, 432gp, 211gp, 573gp; Potions: Extra Healing ~ x35 (general use), Genius x2 (TBD), Mind Focusing (sold), five Stone Giant Strength, two Hill Giant Strength; Scrolls: Delayed Blast Fireball, Finger of Death, Limited Wish, Power Word Stub, Project Image, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Warding Whip x 2 (sold); Chain Lightning, Spell Turning (sold), Blade Barrier (sold); Breach (sold), Sunfire x2 (sold), Monster Summoning III, Slow (sold); Fire Shield Blue; Wands: Rod of Resurrection, Cloudkill (sold);

Current Disposition: I decided a trip to Trademeet might allow us to rest before our battle w/Bodhi to retrieve the Rhynn Lanthorn …but it didn’t. Still we have an opportunity to help the people here.

Next Steps: I/we have to face Bodhi again. We need to help the Elves of Suldanesseller to obtain a thing called the Rhynn Lanthorn to help them find their city.

Level Up:
    • Gawain: Lord Level/18 (Fighter Levels Up 14-18)
    • Auren: Apprentice Level/17 (Fighter Levels Up 13-17)
    • Anomen: Priest of Helm/13//Fighter/12 (Cleric Levels Up 11-13//Fighter Levels Up 11-12)
    • Keldorn: Paladin/Inquisitor/16 (Paladin Levels Up 12-16)
    • Amber: Thief/20//Fighter/6 (Thief Levels Up 16-20)
    • Imoen: Thief/21 (Thief Levels Up 18-21)

Current Party (In Order of March): (Reputation: 12 – Popular; +1 saved Arledrian, +1 killed Neb, -4 Used Ravager ability)
    • Gawain: Ftr/18 (HP 137); Full Plate Mail w/ Helm of Balduran w/Sentinal +4, Ring of Protection +2, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Periapt of Proof Against Poison ; Bastard Sword +1/+3 vs Shapeshifters*****, Hammer of Thunderbolts +3*, Bastard Sword***** (Adamantite Golem)(1)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//17), (HP 92); Armor of the Night +4 w/Helm of Charm Protection & Girdle of Hill Giant Strength; Blade of the Roses +3*****, Long Sword***** (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Thaxll’ssillyia) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(2)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//13/12, (HP 62); Plate Mail w/Shield of the Stars +3, Gauntlet’s of Ogre Power, Golden Girdle & Amulet of Power & Ring of Protection Against Fire; Mace +3 Skullcrusher***,Mace***; (Mekrath)(Cleric Aggressive)(4)

NPC Update: Anomen
    ANOMEN RECORD

ANOMEN INVENTORY

• Amber: Thief/20//Fighter/6 (97); Studded Leather +2, w/Amber’s Earing’s & Gillian’s Bracelet & Ring of Invisibility & Girdle of Piercing; Long sword (Daystar***); Long Sword*** (Drow Servant) (Amber’s Combat Script AI)(5)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/16); HP 85; Firecam Full Plate w/Flail +2**, Two-Handed Sword Blade of the North; Flail of the Ages (Acid); (Mind Flayer)(Spellcaster Attack); (6)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/21); (HP 75); Leather Armor +1 w/Short Bow +1*, Staff of the Earth +2*, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*)(Spirit Troll)(Ranged or Thief Adventurer)(3)

Mods Used: BG2 FixPack _v10; Amber_v4; Auren Aseph_v9; Sarah_v4; Haldimir_v2; : Tyris Flare_v6; Gavin_v20 & Hotfix; scs-v30 (- Tactical Challenges); MegaModKits v1.01L (Anti-Paladin, Charming Rogue, Priest of Sylvanus, Bladesinger, Amazon, Apprentice, Ninja, Samurai); Divine Remix_v8 (Nightcloak of Shar, Holy Strategist of the Red Knight, Batleguard of Tempus, Strifeleader of Cyric, Bowslinger, Forest Runner, Wilderness Runner) ; Rogue Rebalancing; bg2_tweaks-v16; Item Randomizer-v6.8; level1npcs-v1.9

(Best kill)(Current AI)(Chain of Command)
    * Name Levels are ancient, AD&D titles that used to represent each new level in a class
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisovlolien
    CrevsDaak said:

WOW! Congratulations on getting so far! Keep going!

Thanks for the encouragement CD!!!
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    edited July 2015
    Again, I deeply lament the loss of a loved one. I’ve lost Amber in this ongoing journey of loss. I’d just begun to realize my heart belonged to Amber & I was waiting for an opportunity to share that w/her. But now, as seems to be my fate, she’s been snatched from my fantasies w/o having ever lived one day of them in reality. I’m numb inside. She rests now in the De’Arnise family Graveyard where I will rest beside her, and Tyris, when this life brings me to my end. I long for that day. My pain is bitter. I can’t even bare to expand upon it like I have the others. For a moment I thought that, maybe, finally…

I remembered Mazzy, the Halving we rescued from the Shadow Lords clutches, mentioning that she hailed from Trademeet. I thought we might go to Trademeet for a visit. De’Arnise seems to be secure w/Major Domo handling affairs both internal & external to the castle. I was curious to visit Trademeet & I had the sense that it might be a strategic pause to reset before finishing Bodhi in her lair.

However, there’s no rest for the weary it seems as we walked straight into a battle between the Trademeet Militia led by a Militia Captain & wild animals of all types, e.g., Panthers, Dogs, etc. We assisted & brought the contest to quick conclusion & were directed by the Militia Captain to see the Mayor of Trademeet for more information on local happenings. Turns out there were two issues; 1) a duo of Dao Djinn’s were monopolizing the trade coming into Trademeet & 2) the animal attacks were of an unknown source but I was asked to speak w/a Druid the town had in custody, more for his own safety than b/c he was considered a culprit. I visited the Djinn’s but decided not to play games w/them. Rather I challenged them, they accepted & they perished, thus, restoring trade to Trademeet.

Finished w/the Djinn, I met w/the Druid, Cernd by name. He was obviously not the source of the animal problems & I agreed to meet him in the ‘Druid Grove’ that he pointed out on my map to investigate what was going on. Finding him was a little challenging, especially tangling w/various species’ of Trolls that were in & around a Troll Mound in a forest thick w/swampy vegetation & undergrowth. The first time we ventured in we defeated two Trolls & two Ice Trolls, a Sword Spider, a Phase Spider, a Giant Spider & three ‘big’ Spiders. Nearer the Troll Mound we faced & defeated two Spirit Trolls & two Trolls but had to return to town b/c both Imoen & Amber had been significantly wounded & were unconscious from blood loss. After resting & healing, I led us back, intent on killing the remainder of Trolls in the Troll Mound. I wondered if there might be a ‘Troll King’ or something inside the mound but there was not. Instead, we entered & drew out a Spirit Troll, two Trolls & an Ettercap before entering the Troll Mound itself where we mopped up another Spirit Troll, a Spectral Troll, two Giant Trolls & three Trolls. Continuing deeper into the swampy overgrowth we dealt w/two more Trolls before realizing we were getting closer & closer to an answer as we were attacked by & defeated a Shadow Druid leader, a higher level Shadow Druid, a Shadow Druid Mage, two Shadow Druid Knights, four Shadow Druids & three additional trolls. We learned during these battles that it was Faldorn who was behind the hostility & unrest in the animals around Trademeet. Faldorn is the same Shadow Druid we’d crossed paths w/& allowed to live when we were chasing the Bandit’s in the Cloakwood.

Eventually we entered into an opening in the thickets where there was a bridge leading to a cottage and another leading across to the entrance to the Druid Grove. Cernd was just the other side of the bridge. We talked w/him & decided to go w/him to challenge for the grove & take control of it from the Shadow Druids. Leaving Keldorn @ the Druid Grove entrance to watch our rear, we headed in & confronted Faldorn. I didn’t know what would happen but it turned out we’d just be bystanders while Cernd challenged Faldorn in a pit. We were completely unable to affect the battle in favor of Cernd. Cernd got crushed by Faldorn but in the heat of things I was in such a hurry that I neglected to have Anomen cast Raise Dead on him which would have returned him to consciousness so that he could challenge her anew. It was a huge mistake b/c it enabled Faldorn to hold the Druid Grove w/o me or my followers having any way of affecting her supremacy. She is invulnerable in the Druid Grove & can only be defeated in the Challenge Pit by another Druid. I let my followers down w/my snap decision & I let the people of Trademeet w/the fear of a resurgent Faldorn causing them strife again. We destroyed her Adherents, Mages, Knights, Shadow Druids throughout the swamp & defeated her attendants inside the Grove, i.e., two Shadow Druid Adherents & two Shadow Druids as well as a Greater Rakshasa & two Rakshasa’s in the cottage & two Spore Colonies & six Myconids just outside the Grove. She is isolated but…not dead.

FALDORN ESCAPES

Key Event: I returned to Athkatla angry w/myself for failing the people of Trademeet. I immediately decided it was time to finish Bodhi once & for all & retrieve the Rhynn Lanthorn for the Elves of Suldanesseller. I’d already struck an alliance w/Drizzt for the battle & had his guarantee that he’d meet me in Bodhi’s lair. Next I approached the Temple of Helm in the Temple District but even w/Anomen in my retinue they would only pledge neutrality although they pointed me to the Paladin’s of the Order of the Radiant Heart. I was headed there anyway, as both Keldorn & Anomen had suggested we would receive aid there. We did.

So alongside, Drizzt Do’Urden & HIS Companions of the Hall (a Dwarven Warrior King, a human male Barbarian, a human female fighter & a Halving Rogue) in addition to four Paladin’s of the Order led by Sir Eric Vanstraaten I led MY followers on what turned out to be an all-out assault. Together the 15 of us defeated four Vampiress’, five Vampires, one Fledgling Vampiress’, three Grimwarders, a handful of Dire Wolves & numerous Giant Rats. Likely we destroyed another four or five Vampiress’ in The Bloodbath in the Graveyard District. Just as it became evident that Amber’s skills were significantly increased (Amber/21) she was trapped in a hallway & surrounded by Vampiress’. I knew there was no way to get to her, or Imoen for that matter, but I never considered that she’d be lost to me forever. Both she & Imoen fell there but Amber could not be Raised as her wounds were too significant. I was not about to stop chasing Bodhi & in my anger & vengeance I chased her to the bottom of her lair where we mowed through the Grimwarders & destroyed Bodhi Forever!!! (Gawain/19, Auren/18, Imoen/22, Anomen Cl/13/Ftr/13). And just like that my dear little sister was herself again!

BATTLING BESIDE DRIZZT & THE COMPANIONS OF THE HALL

DESTROYING BODHI...

DESTROYING BODHI MORE...

BANISHING BODHI TO THE ABYSS FOREVER!!!

I returned us immediately to De’Arnise to bury Amber so that she’d always be close to me but I’d no time to pause. I needed to decide between Valygar & Mazzy (Ftr/18, SB*****, SSwd*****) to give us back the strength we were short w/o Amber’s Long Bow. I chose to visit Mazzy in Trademeet hoping that my failure in the Druid Grove would not set her against joining w/me. I remembered that she carried a mean-looking Short Bow when we’d rescued her & I was glad she readily joined w/me. From an alignment perspective she fits perfectly w/Keldorn & Anomen – almost like a Halving Paladin.

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 16,696gp) Armor: Robe of the Neutral Arch-Magi (sold), Cloak of the High Forest (sold), Shield of Harmony +2 (sold), Plate Mail x2; Weapons: Staff of the High Forest (sold), Cleric Staff +3’ Cursed Berserking Sword (sold), Scimitar – Rashad’s Talon +2 (sold), Long Sword - Flame Tongue +1/+2/+3/+4, Long Sword Hilt (TBD); Jewelry/Gold: 7500gp, Rogue Stone (sold), Diamond (sold) Pearl Necklace (sold); Potions: two Invulnerability, two Extra healing; Scrolls: Wands: Misc & Artifacts: Rhynn Lanthorn; Greater Rakshasa head;

Current Disposition: I’ve returned to De’Arnise w/Mazzy now rounding out my lance.

Next Steps: Return the Rhynn Lanthorn to the Elves of Suldanesseller.

Level Up:
    • Gawain: Lord/Level 19 (Fighter/19)
    • Auren: Apprentice Lord Level/18 (Fighter/19)
    • Imoen: Charming Rogue/22 (Thief/22) increased Set Traps to 95%
    • Anomen: High Watcher of Helm/13 (Cleric/13)/Lord Level/19 (Fighter/13)

Current Party (In Order of March): (Reputation: 10 – Average, -2 Ravager)
    • Gawain: Ftr/19 (HP 140); Full Plate Mail w/ Helm of Balduran w/Sentinal +4, Ring of Protection +2, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Periapt of Proof Against Poison ; Bastard Sword +1/+3 vs Shapeshifters*****, Hammer of Thunderbolts +3*, Bastard Sword***** (Bodhi)(1)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//18), (HP 95); Armor of the Night +4 w/Helm of Charm Protection & Girdle of Hill Giant Strength; Blade of the Roses +3*****, Long Sword***** (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Thaxll’ssillyia) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(2)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//13/13, (HP 63); Plate Mail w/Shield of the Stars +3, Gauntlet’s of Ogre Power, Golden Girdle & Amulet of Power & Ring of Protection Against Fire; Mace +3 Skullcrusher***,Mace***; (Mekrath)(Cleric Aggressive)(4)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/16); HP 85; Firecam Full Plate w/Flail +2**, Two-Handed Sword Blade of the North; Flail of the Ages (Acid); (Spirit Troll)(Spellcaster Attack); (3)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/22); (HP 77); Leather Armor +1 w/Short Bow +1*, Staff of the Earth +2*, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*)(Spirit Troll)(Ranged or Thief Adventurer)(5)
    • Mazzy: Fighter/18; HP 105; Chain Mail +1 w/Short Bow***** & Short Sword***** of Arvoreen (none)(Ranged)(6)
    • Amber: Thief/20//Fighter/6 (97); Studded Leather +2, w/Amber’s Earing’s & Gillian’s Bracelet & Ring of Invisibility & Girdle of Piercing; Long sword (Daystar***); Long Sword*** (Drow Servant) (Amber’s Combat Script AI)(5)

Mods Used: BG2 FixPack _v10; Amber_v4; Auren Aseph_v9; Sarah_v4; Haldimir_v2; : Tyris Flare_v6; Gavin_v20 & Hotfix; scs-v30 (- Tactical Challenges); MegaModKits v1.01L (Anti-Paladin, Charming Rogue, Priest of Sylvanus, Bladesinger, Amazon, Apprentice, Ninja, Samurai); Divine Remix_v8 (Nightcloak of Shar, Holy Strategist of the Red Knight, Batleguard of Tempus, Strifeleader of Cyric, Bowslinger, Forest Runner, Wilderness Runner) ; Rogue Rebalancing; bg2_tweaks-v16; Item Randomizer-v6.8; level1npcs-v1.9

* Name Levels are ancient, AD&D titles that used to represent each new level in a class
    Post edited by CharlestonianTemplar on
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    edited October 2015
    After our return to Athkatla from the Underdark & the Camp of Elhan of Suldanesssellar, we returned the Rhynn Lanthorn to Elhan & the Elves of Suldanesseller. Immediately, Elhan let us in on the entire story of what was happening in the Elven city & suffice to say that Irenicus’ fingerprints were all over it We entered the city (Keldorn/17) for the first time, maybe for any humans ever, but it wasn’t dressed in the spectacular beauty I imagine it once had b/c Irenicus had the place crawling w/evil creatures who have little use or care for anything of beauty. At the urging of Elhan, my task there was to rid the city of those loathsome beings, free any captive elves & direct them to Elhan who would usher them to safety. And so we were off…

My notes are scarce & there is much I’ve written that I don’t recall but this is the best record I have of what we did there. We began our siege & were immediately tested in the streets. I count our vanquished foes thusly: Adamantite Golem, a Nabassu, four Rakshasa & an Elven Battle Mage, a Drow (Ramillat), four Iron Golems, eight Stone Golems, three Skeleton Warriors, 12 Ogrillons & 20 Wolfwere. Lots of battling listed here, most if not all, hand to hand melee in the streets (but likely some in the buildings there as well).

We had a battle in the High Priestess Home & defeated three Rakshasa but Auren & Mazzy were both knocked unconscious from their wounds & we had to pause there for Anomen to cast Raise Dead & heal them to their full fighting strength.

I do recall defeating Irenicus’ personal pet dragon (Nizidramatiin’yt) in a garden in the northwest part of the city before heading to a defiled Elven temple & battling through three Maharajah, three Rajah and an Iron Golem to get to the an temple door. In the Elven Temple, where I expected a serious confrontation instead we had a comparatively rather easy battle w/a Type III Demon (Glabrezu), a Rakshasa, an Iron Golem & a Mage.

Next it was to the palace. In the palace we cut easily thru two Earth Elementals, two Air Elementals & two Fire Elementals before we finally cornered Irenicus!!! @ the tree of Life as the Elves refer to it.

Underneath the Tree of Life we cleared:

• The Forest of Tethir (where I met a resurrected Coran & a thief I remember from our travels, Safana). We defeated: two Crimson Death, two Mist Horrors, a Sword Spider, a Phase Spider, two Ettercaps, a Giant Spider, four ‘Big’ Spiders & an Adamantine Golem. We Rested once & woke to a Crimson Death, a Mist Horror, a Panther & a Wild Tiger that we dispatched before moving on and destroyed two Wyverns Cultists, a Greater Wyvern & a Baby Wyvern; Two Mist Horrors, a Panther & four Goblins; a Yuan-Ti Mage & five Yuan-Ti; a Panther; a Gnoll Captain w/a Gnoll Veteran, a Gnoll Slasher & two Gnoll Elite;

• Small Teeth Pass: three Ankheg’s; four Wolfwere; a Gnoll Captain, a Gnoll Elite, a Gnoll Veteran & two Gnolls;

• North Forest: two Djinni; a Crimson Death, a Crimson Poison & two Mist Horrors; two Trolls & two Ice Trolls;

IRENICUS CORNERED

Key Event: Defeating Irenicus, finally! He encircled himself w/Protection from Magic Weapons & various protection spells & blasted us w/Fireballs, Lightning Bolts, etc. We stayed clear of him @ the far ends of The Tree of Life, even retiring to the Palace @ times. After a long game of cat & mouse & a drawn out battle we had Irenicus on the edge of destruction and finally, finally, cut him down. Beating Irenicus was just a matter of avoiding his spells, hit & run attacks & waiting his defenses out. Some might say that’s not chivalrous. I say it’s just smart. Sadly, @ the last moment he killed my follower & companion Mazzy w/Abi Dalzim’s Horrid Wilting just as we passed thru a portal & found ourselves @ The Gates of the Nine Hells, w/o Mazzy.

AUREN'S CRUSHING BLOW!

IRENICUS DEAD?

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 16,851gp) Armor: Studded Leather +2; Weapons: Spear +2; Pixie Prick +3 (sold); Jewelry/Gold: Ring of Wizadry, Laeral’s Tear Necklace x2,Star Sapphire, Diamond, Pearl Necklace, Bloodstone Amulet, Black Opal; Potions: Scrolls: Wands: Misc & Artifacts: Methild’s Harp (sold)

Current Disposition: I sit atop The Watchers Keep after escaping from The Gates of the Nine Hells w/the aid of Ellesime & the Elves of Suldanessellar. We were all healed & honored by Ellesime & the Elves for our actions @ those gates, which I will relay to you @ another time. Once the honors were over, Ellesime let us return to our travels, teleporting us to the foot of what we now know to be Helms’s Watchers Keep. We’re working our way thru that now. Next time we break, I’ll try to relay to this journal the happenings @ The Nine Hells Gates before trying to capture everything that’s happening here. That way everything remains in the order it happened.

Next Steps: I’ve more work to do in Watcher’s Keep & more to relate on the Gates of Hell trials we endured.

Level Up:
    • Keldorn: Received word from The Order that he is promoted to Inquisitor (17th Level - Paladin/Inquisitor/17). He gained one additional Dispel Magic (5), True Seeing (5), Protection from Evil (17), Detect Evil (20)
    • Gawain: Increased skills to Lord (20th Level – Fighter/20) & gained Whirlwind High Level Ability

• Gawain: Ftr/20 (HP 140); Full Plate Mail w/ Helm of Balduran w/Sentinal +4, Ring of Protection +2, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Periapt of Proof Against Poison ; Bastard Sword +1/+3 vs Shapeshifters*****, Hammer of Thunderbolts +3*, Bastard Sword***** (Bodhi)(1)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//18), (HP 95); Armor of the Night +4 w/Helm of Charm Protection & Girdle of Hill Giant Strength; Blade of the Roses +3*****, Long Sword***** (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Thaxll’ssillyia) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(2)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//13/13, (HP 63); Plate Mail w/Shield of the Stars +3, Gauntlet’s of Ogre Power, Golden Girdle & Amulet of Power & Ring of Protection Against Fire; Mace +3 Skullcrusher***,Mace***; (Mekrath)(Cleric Aggressive)(4)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/17); HP 88; Firecam Full Plate w/Flail +2**, Two-Handed Sword Blade of the North; Flail of the Ages (Acid); (Spirit Troll)(Spellcaster Attack); (3)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/22); (HP 77); Leather Armor +1 w/Short Bow +1*, Staff of the Earth +2*, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*)(Spirit Troll)(Ranged or Thief Adventurer)(5)
    • Mazzy: Fighter/18; HP 105; Chain Mail +1 w/Short Bow***** & Short Sword***** of Arvoreen (none)(Ranged)(6)

Blue Font: New information;
    Red Font: Monster encounters (first use)
    JuliusBorisovlolienMirage
    edited October 2015
    KELDORN FINISHES OUR WORK @ THE GATES OF HELL

After defeating Irenicus @ the Tree of Life following annihilation of the monsters he allowed to take over Suldanessellar, I suddenly found myself @ the Gates to the Nine Hells. (Irenicus referred to the entire place as Hell but he was flanked by two Type VI Demons (or Balor, which @ one time was thought to be the name of the largest of only six Type VI Demons in existence) & two Type III Demons (or Glabrezu, also thought at one time to be the name of a single Type III Demon, but now accepted as the name for the entire species). Demons would never have been in the Nine Hells w/o an army of other demons accompanying them in the Blood War or they’d be slaughtered. I assume we were @ the gate to Avernus (the topmost & first layer of the Nine Hells, ruled by the Arch-Devil Bel & swarming w/every kind of devil from Lemure foot soldiers to mighty Pit Fiends. Avernus is also the home of Tiamat, also known as the Chromatic Dragon, she has five heads (Red, Blue, Green, White & Black) & has all of the combined abilities of Dragons of those colors. She is the Queen of all evil dragons; constantly spawns more evil dragons & is surrounded by her children. Allied w/Bel, her dragons fight on the side of devil kind in the Blood War.

In this place, I & my followers faced five tests in which I needed to collect five ‘tears of Bhaal’. On the first, I failed & gave in to my pride, destroying a Gold Dragon after allowing myself to be tempted by a Chasme Demon in the role of Manipulator. Gold Dragons are the nobility of the metallic Dragons, i.e., the good aligned dragons, & if there is a Paladin amongst dragons, it is the Gold Dragon. I never even tried to listen to his words, I just blindly attacked ‘a dragon’. Once I finished destroying him, I immediately felt a sense of Lawful Evil replacing my Lawful Good world view & in direct opposition to the Chaotoc nature of Bhaal’s evil.

The second test was particularly challenging b/c we are hampered w/o a true mage to break thru magical defenses. We were able to defeat an Elder Orb, two Beholders & two Gauth’s the most challenging being the Elder Orb b/c he was well protected in a sphere of magical energy. Eventually, w/the aid of Keldorn’s Dispel Magic, we were able to land a blow & then we killed the Elder Orb in no time.

The third test was a no-brainer. I was offered a ‘personal gift’ of some kind but if I took the gift I was told up front I would be sacrificing one of my companions. All I had to do was go thru the door to the Chasme’s left to ‘sacrifice’ for my companion, who turned out to be Anomen. We got the tear of Bhaal, number three of five. None of these were really easy, well except the last one b/c my worldview had been changed so oit most cases I tended to want to ‘go right when I should go left.” Keldprn & Anomen knew something was wrong & patiently guided me, despite my stubbornness.

The fourth Tear of Bhaal was really another simple test. I was given a sword by this Chasme, maybe the same one or a different one that has introduced each of the prior tests. It was a fantastic Long Sword, Auren’s specialty weapon. In her hands that sword would be lethal to my enemies. We had to traverse a lava filled pit stepping on stones that led thru the sweltering heat to a distant shore where a djinn waited. He told me that the sword would free him from his predicament, i.e. being stuck in this mini-Plegethos, the fourth layer of hell, which is known to be a place where the air ripples w/heat distortion, the lakes & rivers run w/bubbling molten lava & jets of flame spout from a million fissures in the red, hot crystalline earth. Bottom line was that I could give him the sword & he would be released or I could kill him, in which case, he would also be released, albeit dead too. Again, I say this was easy, but it wasn’t. In the back of my mind I couldn’t shake the new evil that I invited into myself when I allowed pride to drive my decision making in the first test. Now, part of me embraced the possibilities this new hierarchical, ambitious form of evil so unlike the demonic chaos that surrounds the creatures like these Chasme that act as mouthpieces for Pride, Selfishness, Fear & now Greed. Instead, my mind was tempted to accept the power that I’m offered as a child of Bhaal but the use it to put myself @ the pinnacle of a new hierarchy where I am served by those who need my power to advance themselves…but never high enough to challenge my supremacy. Any that would begin to show signs of becoming a threat would be crushed. With the power I am born to use, to embrace, combined w/the skills I’ve earned as the greatest knight in Faerun I would be invincible. Despite the warnings & fear that both Keldorn & Anomen were expressing, I still couldn’t shake this sudden thirst to become a mighty knight in service to some Arch-devil, maybe the Arch Fiend, Lady Fierna (& her father Belial). I could see myself as her mortal lover…until such time as I might achieve immortality & bring her down & replace her (& the father) as the Lord of Plegethos (although I might keep her around as my infernal lover for eternity). I gave in to the reasoning of Keldorn & Anomen who seemed to know more acutely of the change in me than did my little sister & Auren. Despite the new found curiosity @ the idea of becoming an eternal arch-fiend myself, I accepted Anomen’s advice & returned the sword to the Djinn & felt a sense of relief @ having chosen the path of ‘goodness.’

The last Tear of Bhaal was indeed easy enough. I had to defeat Sarevok‘s Wraith which was a thrilling pleasure, one that brought back the desire to embrace this new evil that competes w/my true nature. I destroyed Sarevok & his wraith spirit escaped me in a mist that disappeared into the dank air that is this place. And so I had my last Tear of Bhaal & w/it an immunity to lightly enchanted weapons (+1 or <) & normal weapons; some amount of magic resistance but somewhat less dexterity; additional protection when confronted w/poison, death, paralyzation, rods/staff/wands, petrification/polymorph; spells; dragon breath; & additional protection versus cold/heat/electricity & a bit more wisdom & charisma. With that complete all I had to do was present the Tears of Bhaal into the proper places on the door to Avernus & I’d be able to start searching beyond that door for a way out of here. And so I placed them…

Key Event: …& then materialized Irenicus again! This time flanked on each side by a Type VI Demon (Balor) and a Type III Demon (Glabrezu). I immediately sensed that all the exits had just sealed themselves. We stood unable to move as Irenicus & his summoned allies materialized & then he immediately took the form of the Slayer & surrounded himself in a magic shell. I ordered everyone to fall directly back & spread out. Spells were coming @ all of us from all directions. I was fearful that we were trapped. Evil or good it didn’t matter, action & leadership were needed now & it was now that I would know who I was...all questions would be answered when the last drop of blood fell here. Keldorn lightened our odds by destroying one, & then the other Glabrezu. He was fantastic destroying one of them w/a single sword stroke. His humility won’t allow him to boast & he gives all praise & to Torm, Unfortunately, while Keldorn helped to give us a numerical advantage, Irenicus cast Timestop during which time he summoned a Fallen Planetar & as soon as the spell was over, the Planetar’s big sword knocked Auren unconscious & took her out of the battle. We were each @ the foot of or down one of the five sets of stairs or passages that led outward from the main doorway, so commands were impossible to issue @ that time. Each one of the remaining four of us was limited to their own abilities, skills & resourcefulness. Our next break came when Anomen tried to cast Earthquake to try & damage the two remaining Type VI/Balor Demon’s & the Planetar. He did not think the spell would injure Irenicus when he cast it & he was right but it also didn’t injure any of the others but when he cast it he came in to sight of one of the Type VI/Balor Demon’s & the Demon was on him in no time. Luckily Keldorn saw the whole thing &, despite the risks moved over to aid Anomen, hugging the wall to try & prevent any other evil from spying him. Keldorn used his Dispel Magic innate ability & the demon was certainly under its affects. Keldorn seemed to have the hot sword b/c he hit the demon twice while Anomen wasn’t doing much. Anomen was taking attacks from the Balor & was bleeding pretty bad when back to back, he & Keldorn landed blows. His injuries so bad, Anomen had to step back & when he did the demon turned on Keldorn just as Keldorn landed another blow. Anomen started casting Bolt of Glory & it was timed w/another blow from Keldorn that killed the Balor. Irenicus cast another Timestop & I could hear him rattling off incantations Protection from Magical Weapons, Stoneskin, etc.. Keldorn & Anomen stayed together for strength in numbers while Imoen & I were separated by the area between our respective staircases. Eventually the Planetar disappeared so we were facing Irenicus & a Type VI Demon. I had to make something happen so I went to where Imoen was & gathered her in to try & cross over to the side where Keldorn & Anomen were. We just hugged the wall and circled around the arc to the other side but Irenicus was just beyond where I’d been able to see hidden just in the shadows. I was tired of this & decided to attack. Imoen stood back & cast Greater Malison followed by back to back Magic Missiles & then started shooting Arrows of Dispelling, which may or may not have had an effect but Irenicus’ magic shell disappeared as he moved to attack Imoen where she stood. I chased him back over to that side of center statue. Keldorn & Anomen saw what was happening & came running & I feared the other Balor would get into the fray. I landed a heavy blow as Imoen pulled out her staff to defend herself. When Keldorn got there w/Anomen they joined me & our blades continued to land until Irenicus, i.e., the Slayer crumpled to the floor. The final Balor ended up being down the stairs where Keldorn had been & we three all cornered him, including Auren b/c I’d used the Wand of Resurrection to bring her back to us. Her equipment had been between the staircase I was @ & those where Imoen was, farthest to the right facing the ‘Hell Door.’ The four of us pounded the Type VI to smithereens while Imoen cast a Domination spell or something just to see if it would take.

We had no time to take stock of anything & next I knew, I woke up in Suldanessellar surrounded by Eleven Clerics under the watchful eye of Elliseme. Apparently we were dead while @ the Gates to the Nine Hells & defeating Irenicus was the only escape or we might have been sucked into Avernus for eternity. While there, my faithful Priest Anomen, with help from his Elven counterparts was able to partially reverse my alignment & return me to Lawful Neutral. My penance is steep to return to who I was: Triple tithes next time I visit a Temple of Helm following an adventure; Double tithes the next & a full regular tithe the third time. After that my tithes can go to any Temple as long as its deity is Lawful & Good or Neural in alignment.

Some Treasure of Note: I really don’t know what we came out of from the underworld with but I had a few notes that reflected: (Purse = 16,851gp) Armor: Weapons: Jewelry/Gold: 914gps; Potions: Seven Extra Healing, five Fire Giant Strength, five Invulnerability; Scrolls: Wands: Misc & Artifacts:

Current Disposition: We have completed a mission in the Watchers Keep. Before we get going again, we’re taking a week or so & camp on the room, safe from wandering monsters. It’s an east trip down the stairs to fetch would & for Imoen to bag some game for us. All of this gives me time to journal & reflect.

Next Steps: There is a forest called the forest of Tethyr that I am drawn to next.

Level Up:
    • Gawain: Increased skills to Lord (21th Level – Fighter/21) & gained Greater Whirlwind High Level Ability

Current Party (In Order of March): (Reputation: 10 – Average)
    • Gawain: Ftr/21 (HP 141); Full Plate Mail w/ Helm of Balduran w/Sentinal +4, Ring of Protection +2, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Periapt of Proof Against Poison ; Bastard Sword +1/+3 vs Shapeshifters*****, Hammer of Thunderbolts +3*, Bastard Sword***** (Bodhi)(1)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/17); HP 88; Firecam Full Plate w/Flail +2**, Two-Handed Sword Blade of the North; Flail of the Ages (Acid); (Spirit Troll)(Spellcaster Attack); (2)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//18), (HP 95); Armor of the Night +4 w/Helm of Charm Protection & Girdle of Hill Giant Strength; Blade of the Roses +3*****, Long Sword***** (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Thaxll’ssillyia) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(4)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//13/13, (HP 63); Plate Mail w/Shield of the Stars +3, Gauntlet’s of Ogre Power, Golden Girdle & Amulet of Power & Ring of Protection Against Fire; Mace +3 Skullcrusher***,Mace***; (Mekrath)(Cleric Aggressive)(3)
    • Mazzy: Fighter/18; HP 105; Chain Mail +1 w/Short Bow***** & Short Sword***** of Arvoreen (none)(Ranged)(6) (Mazzy was killed/chunked by Irenicus @ the Tree of Life during the last throes of his death – her equipment actually fell into the Gates of Hell w/the rest of us)

lolienJuliusBorisov
  • 14 Alturiak, 1371 (Hour 23): After the battle @ the Gates to the Nine Hells, I was under the care of the Elves of Suldanessellar & as I relayed earlier took on a heavy penance for killing a Gold Dragon b/c I let my pride blind me. My penance is light compared to to what I did by killing the same type dragon that acts as a steed for Torm himself. When I left there I thought my penance had to be paid only to Helm but Anomen has since explained that, in fact, I can pay my tithe to any God of The Triad, i.e. Tyr, Torm or Ilmater (or to Helm) but my wrong was against Torm, specifically, against the race of Gold Dragons who Torm protects.

From Suldanessellar we were sent by Elliseme to a keep specifically built by Helm to imprison an ancient evil. We met Brother Odren & the Knights of the Vigil, who explained that the seals holding the evil inside the keep were weakening. He said the Knights of the Vigil were too weak to go down into the keep themselves & that they’d been waiting on me (they knew my name but that doesn’t surprise me anymore). After what happened in the Hell trials I wasn’t in much of a position to say, ‘”No,” considering that I was standing on top of a keep of very special interest to Helm himself. Here was a chance to do good.

We were given a wardstone needed to enter & after a night’s rest & provisioning we descended into the first level. I didn’t know @ the time how deep this thing went but after breezing thru a Wandering Horror, a Poison Mist & a Phase Spider things got a little dicier. We found a massive statue w/an alter in front of it. As is our custom now, anything weird we find we keep & we knew what to do when we got to the alter so I had us spread out while Auren conducted the ritual. And then the crap hit the shield. Two Warrior Statues w/Halberds, a Dwarven Spellcaster Statue, a second Spellcaster Statue & an Aerial Servant came to life. We were in for a long battle & were in retrograde the whole way back to the entrance. The statues were ridiculously tough. The Warrior Statues were fast as was the Aerial Servant. We took them out in the entrance way door but all of us were nicked & bruised in a big way. We had time to breathe & quaff healing potions before the two Spellcaster Statues arrived. I don’t really remember how we finally defeated them but it wasn’t easy w/all five of us beat up. Later on the same level, we met an Archivist Ghost (kitchen) who explained a little about how to deal w/the High Priests Ghost that we would later encounter. It really came down to some old slippers & once we had those, the Ghostly Priest was helpful & non-threatening. I don’t remember much more but I’ve listed that we killed two Vampiric Wraiths in one encounter; a Spellhaunt in another; a Stone Golem; an Air Mephit, a Smoke Mephit, a Fire Mephit & an Ice Mephit & finally five Sword Spiders & three Phase Spiders. We finished up that level & headed down to the next after heading back to the roof for rest & nourishment. By destroying the Guardian Statues we’d allowed ourselves access to the second level.

After a day or two on top of the keep (it was nice b/c we could go down & get wood for our fire & not worry about wandering monsters) we decided to head down to the second level. There was a Chromatic Demon in cage just outside the portal that took us down. Of course it had to be that he was the only way down to the next level. We had to collect four portal sceptors from the lairs of four dead mad mages; a slime mage, an air mage, a fire mage & an ice mage (I think it was). While on that level we destroyed two Vampiric Wraiths, a Wandering Horror, & Poison Mist. After a break, we took down two Fire Giants. The Chromatic Demon had told us that we should turn on the fan in the air mages room which he said would power the laboratories which we did (Auren: Ftr/App 20; Anomen = Ftr/14/Cl/14). We continued working our way through, figuring out the clues as we could & defeated a Guardian of the Air, two Greater Air Elementals & two Lesser Air Elementals. We then found the slime chamber & defeated a Giant Snake, three Poison Mists, three Green Slimes & found a Yellow Ioun Stone therein. I don’t remember for sure but where but we also destroyed six Mutated Spiders & retrieved a Bloodstone Amulet & the required Slime Scepter (I guess they were in the same chamber (Gawain = Ftr/23). Somewhere we got the other two scepters but we were moving quickly & I didn’t realize till now that I didn’t write it down. The Ice chamber had some Ice Salamanders &, I think, an Ice Golem but we killed them & I think that was where we got the Ice Scepter. Likewise with the Fire Giants I mentioned earlier. Of course, defeating the demon was part of the drill as I knew it would be. We kept having to escape back through the portal until…one time, about the third, maybe even the fourth, he was suddenly vulnerable & we hacked him up in no time.

After defeating the Chromatic Demon, we found ourselves a level deeper in a terrible maze. And, despite everything, I had to make a deal with a devil. The devil was an enormous Pit Fiend, who told us he & the lesser devils surrounding him (an Erinyes, two Cornugon’s, a couple of Imps) were brought to & trapped in this place by demons. He asked me to destroy the demons (I think he used the Balor’s name) to help them to escape & he would aid me. I don’t recall the whole thing now but it turned out I was either going to make a deal w/demons (which they could not be counted on to keep) or with a Pit Fiend. Being Lawful Evil, though infernally tyrannical & cruel, they’re bound by their word unless there’s a loophole (& there usually is). In this case, there wasn’t, although my defeating the Balor, a Glabrezu, a Succubus & a Maurezhi didn’t get me out of there it did land me a scepter gem given me by the Pit Fiend that I needed to combine with one I found on the body of the demon (I needed just one more scepter gem). Whatever the case, the Pit Fiend was bewildered that my killing the Balor didn’t free them & realized it wasn’t the demon that summoned them hither. From there on, he ignored me as I passed thru more than once trying to find my way battling thru at least two more Balor, a different Pit Fiend, three Cornugon’s, two Glabrezu, a Succubus, some Alu-Fiends a Greater Fire Elemental, two Ice Salamander’s, four Imps, seven Quasits, an Ogre, an Orc, etc., until I ended up in a cave with an extra-planar Demon. He never attacked, just wanted to play a game of cards w/a Deck of Many Things. He lost the first hand & I the second so he escaped (which was the deal) leaving me fighting some pretty stout assassin’s but also w/the third of the scepter gems allowing me to depart into this forsaken place. Auren, Anomen, Keldorn & Imoen all fell in battles here, slipping into unconsciousness @ one point or another. Luckily, when all but Anomen fell he was able to Raise Dead & bring them back to me &, despite what I later learned, the Knights of the Vigil were able to revive him. But while falling at one point they became stronger also (Anomen = Ftr/14/Cl/15, Imoen = Thf 25, Keldorn Pal/Inq 19). I’ve also written dwon that we defeated a Yochlol, another Glabrezu, a Succubus, a Quasit & a Giant Spider, which make sense together but I don’t recall the battle.

So it was down even deeper into this already dangerous keep. My mind was beginning to imagine the unmanageable when it came to just what ‘the Imprisoned One’ might be. Having already battled Pit Fiends & Balor’s there not much beyond those unless one speaks of Dukes & Arch-Devils, Demon Lords & the Chromatic Dragon. Somehow the former, i.e. Baator, seemed unrealistic. On the 4th Level down was a mad-mage encased in a machine of some kind. When we first saw him he was watching a battle between Mind Flayers & Githyanki but it didn’t spill over to where it affected us. We talked w/him, named Carston, & it became clear that he’d be at least part of the key to this level but @ first he was not much but a bunch of blather. We started searching the area to the left of the hall Carston’s machine was in & defeated five Mind Flayers, four Killer Mimic & four Orogs (Imoen = Thf/26). Next up were two Devil Shades & nine Shadow Fiends at the end of the Hall behind Carston’s machine & between the portal back up to the 3rd Level & the, as yet inactivated, portal to the 5th Level. In the room opposite where we battled the Mind Flayers to the right of Carston’s machine we encountered & defeated a Yuan-Ti Mage & five Yuan-Ti & off of that room Six Shadows & six Mutated Spiders. From there we unlocked part of the secret when we entered an Illithid Lair. We wiped out four Umber Hulks & an Illithid & four more Umber Hulks before both Auren & Anomen were injured & slipped into unconsciousness so we had to return to the top of the keep where Anomen provided necessary care. Back in the keep a day or two later we found Carston’s wounded apprentice before wiping out the rest of the Illithid Lair (two Vampiric Ulithid, seven Umber Hulks, two Illithid). Directly across the hall waited an extremely challenging battle. The reason I said before that finding the Illilthid Lair was part of the key was b/c the Githyanki were the other part. They’d all be brought here by Carston & constantly battled one another to no avail & were unable to get @ Carston. We had two battles in the Githyanki Lair: first against two Githyanki Anti-Paladin, a Githyanki Knight, two Gish & three Githyanki Warriors that we defeated but Anomen fell so we needed the help of the Knights of the Vigil before we could go on. In the second we defeated the Githyakni Captain, two Githyanki Anti-Paladins, two Githyanki Knights & five Githyanki Warriors in an extremely hard fight against a determined & skillful enemy. The Githyanki had been worshipping a humongous, Ancient Red Dragon, Saladrex. Saladrex was even older & larger than Firkraag, who I never was able to destroy. Initially, I spoke w/Saladrex & he provided useful information & was quite willing to answer my questions & allow me to gloat over him. He helped us to figure out, after hours of different combinations, the manner in which to light the torches in one of the rooms we’d been in earlier but couldn’t figure out. Once lit, they opened a door to a treasure vault guarded by two Minotaur & four Ice Salamanders. In addition to 1,000 gold one of the chests held a Hammer/Chisel which Saladrex had mentioned was the key to getting @ Carston (Keldorn, Pdn/Inq 20). So with the Hammer & Chisel, Saladrex’ information & various and sundry notes & books, the answer to getting to Carston was to chisel thru the glass, which I did, before having no mercy on the pitiful man, which I likely should have. After Carston was dealt with, next up were two Fire Giants after which we rested only to be attacked by two Spell Haunts & a Vortex Spider.

TOUGH FIGHT VERSUS A WORTHY, ALBEIT WICKED, ADVERSARY

Next was the fifth level down (but this was still above ground) as the keep is five floors above ground. Here we found the seal we’ve been searching for but to break the seal was going to take some work b/c we needed three keys to unlock the seal to access actual ‘Imprisoned One’ & conduct the ritual to strengthen the seals that imprison it. There was a room w/four buttons & pillars. Every time we pushed a button we had a battle on our hands & we defeated: a Hobgoblin Shaman & three Hobgoblins; a Mage w/four Skeleton Warriors; a Vortex Spider, six Mutated Spider’s & two Sword Spider’s & something else that I forget. In addition, each time we pushed a button we got a colored globe which we then needed to put into a similarly colored pillar. Once we completed all four, we got The Mind Key, one of three we needed to break the seal to get to the Imprisoned One. Next up, a Helmite Ghost who told me I’d have to complete tasks behind three doors to get the next key. The first was an Imp who had some games/riddles for me to answer. I got thru his tests (Anomen Cl/15//Ftr 15, Imoen Thf/27). The next ‘Helmite Ghost test’ was a battle against a Green Dragon that we won w/little fanfare before moving on to our next test, a desperately hard battle against an Orc Horde w/three Orc Mages immediately after which, we received the 2nd required key, the Heart Key (Anomen Cl/16//Ftr 15). We got a Warrior’s Skull after defeating the dragon which allowed us to acquire the Spirit Key. When I placed the skull on a Spirit Altar, I suddenly found myself in the body of a Spirit Warrior while our real bodies were suspended elsewhere. I guided the Spirit Warrior through a dungeon. As the Spirit Warrior I killed a Ghost, a Goblin, a Skeleton, a War Dog & finally a Mummy. Once the Mummy was dead, I obtained the Spirit Key & it was on, starting w/a battle against a tough group including a Type V Demon (Marileth), a powerful Succubus, a Hive Mother, a Huntress & a Drow. That Battle was enough but we had to come back after returning to the top of the keep for a rest. Upon return we battled our first Lich w/three Flaming Skulls before returning to battle a Rilmani Mage & some Rilmani Priests (Gawain Ftr 26, Keldorn Pdn/Inq 21).

DEFEATING THE GREEN DRAGON

NEVER ENDING BATTLE!

Key Event: So now I could get us down to where we could conduct the ritual & seal ‘The Imprisoned One’ in this place for a good while longer. I completed the task but not exactly how I envisioned it. I think I wanted to destroy the thing all together but, not surprisingly, it deflected much of what Odren & the Knights of the Vigil had led me to believe back @ me as lies. I knew I was dealing w/a super-powerful being from the Abyss, the Nine Hells or some extra-planar. I decided to hedge my bets as the thing told me that Odren had lied to me & set me up to also be sealed in here killing two birds w/one stone by re-restraining ‘The Imprisoned One’ while also sealing in a powerful Bhaal Spawn. I figured I had nothing to lose by questioning Odren about this & besides, the more I thought about it the more I didn’t like the idea of being sealed in this place having to defeat a super powerful monster of great intelligence (similar to how we were crammed in @ The Gates to the Nine Hells but waaayyy worse!) I made the right decision b/c Odren only wanted to know if I’d killed the monster rather than seal it in. He & the Knights of the Vigil went in to investigate when a messenger from Helm himself arrived & confirmed that it was Odren & the Knights of the Vigil who were supposed to have conducted the ritual, sealing Odren inside forever – w/the Prince of Demons (I will not write that name here for even such an act can capture his attention. While I’m not afraid of battling him, killing his aspect, especially in the Watcher’s Keep would have done nothing but return him to the 88th Layer of the Abyss, known as the Gaping Maw, where he would actually have been freed. I had the option of going in & trying to save Odren & we started out to do so but then decided to go thru w/sealing the keep as the messenger had mentioned. I’m second guessing myself a lot since the deal w/the Gold Dragon & now that I’ve done it I wish I’d tried to save him. After I’d settled the deal & sealed The Prince of Demons away, keeping him from the freedom of returning to The Gaping Maw, I led us back to Saladrex & defeated him. He seemed harmless enough when the status quo was in place: the Githyanki worshipped him while battling w/the Illithid’s & trying to get @ Carston. With things altered now, he could become a danger outside of the keep so he needed to be ‘put down’ & was.

PUTTING SALADREX 'DOWN'

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 102,744gp) Armor: Weapons: Flail +3, Longbow +3, Bastard Sword +2, Dagger or the Star +4, Ixil’s Nail +4, 50 Arrows +3; 40 Arrows of Piercing; 10 Sling Stones +3; Jewelry/Gold: 2,450 gp, Star Sapphire, 1000gp, 950gp, two Emeralds, 250gps, three King Tears, 100gp; Potions: Two Magic Blocking, Magic Protection, 27 Superior Healing, Fire Giant Strength, three Invulnerability, 54 Extra Healing, two Frost Giant Strength; Scrolls: Warding Whip; Wands: Misc & Artifacts:

Current Disposition: We’re between battles here in Saradush. I can only get in a paragraph or so during each rest. I don’t know, writing seems to help my nerves, even as the siege continues outside – never knowing when a direct hit will destroy this building. I’ve added the Ranger/Beast Master, Sarah, to help our efforts.

Next Steps: Finish my work here in Saradush & help Melissan help the other Bhaal Spawn who are trapped here to escape Yagu-Shura’s Army.

Level Up:
    • Auren: Continued to amaze me rising from Apprentice 20-21 (Ftr/21) & gaining HLAs Whirlwind Attack & Greater Whirlwind Attack
    • Anomen: (Ftr/14-15//Cl/15-16) not only is he my priest but he’s a fantastic soldier. I battlefield promoted him from Lord/14 to 15 while Helm, obviously pleased with his servant, granted him High Watcher of Helm 15 & 16. He gained the Fighter HLAs Whirlwind Attack & Death Blow & Cleric HLA Energy Blades & Storm of Vengeance
    • Gawain: I too have advanced, to Fighter/Lord 23-26 & gained HLA Greater Death Blow & Critical Strike
    • Keldorn: Received word from The Order three times promoting him to Inquisitor 19th-21st Level (Paladin/Inquisitor/19-21). He gained the Greater Whirlwind High Level Ability, Death Blow & Greater Death Blow
    • Imoen: Continues to hone her thieving skills beyond imagination. During all of this she grew in skill from 24-27th Levels Charming Rogue (Thf/27) w/HLAs Spike Trap, Exploding Trap, Set Acid Trap, Danger Sense,

• Gawain: Ftr/26 (HP 159); Full Plate Mail w/ Helm of Balduran w/Sentinal +4, Ring of Protection +2, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Amulet of Seldarine; Bastard Sword +2, Hammer of Thunderbolts +3***, Bastard Sword +1/+3 vs Shapeshifters*****, Hammer of Thunderbolts +3*, Bastard Sword***** (Bodhi)(1)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//21), (HP 104); Armor of the Night +4 w/Helm of Charm Protection & Girdle of Hill Giant Strength; Blade of the Roses +3*****, Long Sword***** (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Thaxll’ssillyia) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(2)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//15/16, (HP 65); Plate Mail w/Shield of the Stars +3, Gauntlet’s of Ogre Power, Golden Girdle & Amulet of Power & Ring of Protection Against Fire, Periapt of Proof Against Poison; Mace +3 Skullcrusher***,Mace*** (Flail*); (Statue)(Cleric Aggressive)(4)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/21); HP 100; Firecam Full Plate w/Flail +2**, Two-Handed Sword Blade of the North; Flail of the Ages (Acid); (Adamantine Golem)(Spellcaster Attack); (3)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/26); (HP 85); Bracers of Defense AC3, Lavender Ioun Stone w/Short Bow +1*, Staff of the Earth +2*, Shakti Figurine, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*)(Suneer); (Ranged, Thief Adventurer, Thief Scout)(5)

ElrandirJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHlolien
  • 10 Tarsakh, 1371 (Hour 18): Shortly after we left Watcher’s keep, The Prince of Demon’s securely restrained therein, we ended up in a forest far distant from Watcher’s Keep where I conversed w/a huge face statue that channeled a forest spirit. The Forest Spirit spoke in riddles about prophesies of Aluondo foretold but not yet complete. As soon as it was finished speaking, I was dropped into an ambush w/my retinue @ my side. There we were attacked by a female Bhaal Spawn, Illasera who was supported by a couple of tough archers, a cleric & maybe one other warrior or monsters (might have been a Dark Planetar). We defeated her first & then maneuvered the others into positions where we had the numerical advantage & it was done. As soon as the fight was complete, I was, with my companions in what I now call the Pocket Plane, which is actually Bhaal’s old niche in the underworld. There I received the services of Bhaal’s former butler, now my butler, Cespenar, who turned my Hammer of Thunderbolts, Girdle of Frost Giant Strength, Gauntlet’s of Ogre Power & Crom Faeyr Scroll into a fantastic Warhammer that I am now using as my main weapon, aptly named Crom Faeyr. While there, actually when I first got there, I met a ghostly apparition of Saravok begging me to grant him a taint ’of my essence to give him life again. After talking w/him long enough, I relented as it is obvious he will never be a threat to me or anyone again. He actually offered to join me but that wasn’t happening, especially if Imoen had any say in it. After that I was given the opportunity to select former companions to aid us. At first I chose Tyris Flare but she ended up not being able to be returned to me, so I chose Valygar the Samurai. Having done so I was led into a ‘retribution’ battle royale w/multitudes of what I guess were former Bhaal Spawn, including, you know it, Irenicus & Bhodi (who themselves weren’t actually even Bhaal Spawn). Nonetheless, they were no issue this time, especially w/the Wand of Spell Striking we had to aid us (now useless). After that battle though, I changed my mind & selected Sarah, the female Ranger/Beast Master & asked Valygar to wait my call again. I feel her Ranger/Beast Master abilities will serve me better than another front line warrior. After the battle was done & Sarah was in my service I exited the Pocket Plane & ended up in a city under siege, Saradush.

THE RETRIBUTION

In Saradush, we appeared right @ the steps to a palace that held what I now know was a mad & power hungry Bhaal Spawn, half-brother of mine named Gronmir. Hungry & desperate humans & humanoids were trying desperately to talk w/Gronmir’s guard’s b/c they were starving & under a perilous assault by the army of another half-brother of mine, Yagu-Shura, a Fire Giant. Okay, note to self: stop w/the half-brother thing. Gronmir’s guards were not flinching & had zero concern for the people of the town. When we appeared there was a woman, Melissan, desperately pleading w/the guards to let the people have audience w/Gronmir but they were adamant. When she saw me she knew me immediately & tried to change her tact to convince the guards that my appearing was a sign & might be the key to helping Saradush to escape the siege should I be allowed audience w/Gronmir. Still no dice & the hard-ass guards finally attacked. We killed three Il-Khan Guards & three Orcs before Melissan addressed me & asked me to try & find a way to get to Gronmir to convince him to try to do something in the face of the siege. The palace itself was not accessible thru the main gate.

My first visit was to the nearest temple & I hoped there might be one to one of the members of the Triad, or to Helm, but alas, the only one in Saradush was a Temple to Waukeen, which was fine for what I needed from an information & supply standpoint but not to pay toward my penance. The Priestess there was very helpful & actually knew a way into Gronmir’s palace. Once she Detected Evil she believed we were honest in our desire to aid the city she gave me the key to the city jail which, she said, did have access to the palace. However, it was also filled w/evil monsters (I can’t remember if she directly mentioned Vampires).

We rested & organized ourselves for combat. Entering the jail the first time, we got into a tangle w/a tough Vampiress (Phlydian), three Vampires & five Fledgling Vampires (Auren/24). While @ the Tavern, which doubled as our inn, we finally stepped in to aid a serving girl who was being harassed by two Il-Khan Guards who, rather than just laying off decided to challenge us for defending her honor. Now Gronmir was out five Il-Khan Guards. There’s not much there for us to rest on but a bunch of pillows up in a hallway @ the top of some stairs but it’s better than sleeping in the street, especially here.

Back in the city jail we navigated through until we were into a separate complex of tunnels that led to the palace – eventually. Before we left the jail portion, we reunited a skull & a pendent together in its grave & a thankful ghost took us to a room & rewarded us for bringing him peace by showing us the location of a Wand of Spell Striking. The first thing we found once we found a tunnel out of the jail complex was the city sewers, which were ripe w/smell & adversaries. Our first battle, as I recall, was versus two fighters (10K), a thief (10K), two Devil Shades, two other fighters (8K), an Umber Hulk & nine Shadow Fiends. We took a rest back @ the tavern before returning & battling a Mage (10k) w/an Elite Orc & then an Elite Orog w/ two Elite Orcs (Keldorn/22, Imoen/29, Anomen/16//16).

BATTLE IN THE SARADUSH SEWERS

Imoen fell in a battle down there & we had to return to the tavern for Anomen to cast Resurrection. On our return we had to fight two more Devil Shades & nine more Shadow Fiends. Following that, we defeated a Yaga-Shura Mage, three Duerger Sappers (11k), three Duerger Sappers (6k), three Umber Hulk, four Elite Orogs, four Orc Archers, two Shadow Fiends & 11 Shadows. We needed regular breaks & on returning once, we were actually attacked by three Gibberlings & two Mutated Gibberlings before we could exit into the jail complex & back to the tavern. We would enter & battle & return to the tavern to rest or to the temple, if needed. The last time we entered we had to fight off two Devil Shades, two Duerger Sappers, 12 Shadow Fiends, Six Elite Orog & four Elite Orcs before we finally got into the palace.

There we quickly eliminated an Il-Khan Battle Mage & four Il-Khan Soldiers before going up the stairs into the throne room. There was no way we could leave & rest b/c all surprise would have been spoiled by then. So, knowing what awaited us, Anomen cast Chant, Imoen Mass Invisibility & Auren, Keldorn, Sarah & I used Magic Resistance. Once their spells were cast, Anomen used Magic Resistance HLA & Imoen cast the HLA Evasion on herself. Up we went.

Key Event: When we got there, Melissan had been dragged before Gronmir & was being accused of having brought me here to assassinate him. Despite her protestations & efforts to convince him that I might actually be here to help he persisted before he realized I was there. A tough fight began in which we first conducted a retrograde back down to the first floor but couldn’t draw any of them down to battle us there. Back up again, after activating some additional HLAs, e.g., Critical Strike, Greater Death Blow, etc., the battle was on. We defeated, in order, an Il-Khan Battle Mage, a Dark Planetar & an Il-Khan Soldier before one of the mages gated in a Balor. We conducted a second retrograde, followed by none of the aggressors & waited out the gated demon before heading back up. They were waiting for us when we returned but Gronmir fell next, followed by two senior Il-Khan Battle Mages (Karun the Black, Elar Had) & finally a last Il-Khan Soldier, this one w/a bow. Melissan was distressed that we’d killed Gronmir but I’ve gotten to the point where I don’t know what else to do but kill the aggressors in front of me. Melissan begged me to find a way out of Saradush, which I told her I could do. She then surmised that if I could get in, surely I could get out also. She asked me to try to lift the siege by defeating Yagu-Shura but warned me that he was invincible to any attack we could think of. She suggested I go to where he was raised, a swamp in the Forest of Mir, or to a Fire Giant Cult in the Marching Mountains to find the secret of his invulnerability.

FIGHT IN THE SARADUSH PALACE

I used the Pocket Plane Ability, returned there to rest & see if we might have something else Cespenar could use one of his recipes on. We got rest but no new items to aid us. From there, I used the Pocket Plane Ability to go to the North Mountains. There we were immediately accosted by a Yagu-Shura Officer & 11 Yagu-Shura Soldiers that we defeated before meeting a merchant whose caraven wahad just been attacked by the same soldiers. We sold what we had, including what we got off of the Yagu-Shura troops & bought everything we could use – including some scrolls that Imoen can now use because of her HLA Use Any Item.

After resting in the North Forest we explored the area & destroyed a nest of angry bees, or rather, four Fire Giants, a Yagu-Shura Mage, two Clerics of Talos, two Yagu-Shura Officicer’s & 28 Yaga-Shura Soldiers (including three who attacked us when we tried to rest after the battle.

BATTLE OF THE NORTH FOREST

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 167,705) Armor: Weapons: Grand Masters Armor +6, Ice Star +4, Paladins Bracers (Keldorn), Morning Star +3, Chain Mail +3, two Spear +3, six battle Axe’s +2, six Warhammer’s +2, two Halberd +2, five QSs +2, eight sets Studded leather +2, three Adventurer’s Robes, 10 sets Plate Mail; Jewelry/Gold: Rogue Stone, 1200gps, Laeral’s Tear Necklace, four Star Sapphire, six Black Opal; Potions: five Superior Healing, Scrolls: Abi Dalzin’s Horrid Wilting (2); Wands: Misc & Artifacts: Wand of Spell Striking;

Current Disposition: Resting @ in the North Forest.

Next Steps: The Forest of Mir where Yagu-Shura was raised

Level Up:

• Auren: I promoted Auren to Apprentice/Fighter & she was able to acquire the HLA Magic resistance.
    • Keldorn: Only The Order can promote Keldorn but while w/me I can grant him a brevet promotion (which the Order of the Radiant Heart will surely confirm). Here in Saradush, I brevet promoted him to Paladin/Inquisitor/22 & he, like Auren, selected the HLA Magic resistance
    • Imoen: Imoen promotes herself now b/c I doubt there exist another rogue of any type as powerful as she. In this case she is up to Charming Rogue/Thief 29 & she selected a fantastic HLA, Use Any Item
    • Anomen: On the other hand, although he is a member or The Order of the Radiant Heart also, Anomen’s superior Brother Ryan Trawl placed Anomen under my leadership while travelling w/my. As such, it is apparent that another promotion is in order & I am promoting him to Knight/Lord 16. Similarly, Helm also continues to be pleased as he two granted Anomen advancement to Watcher of Helm 17. Anomen added the fighter HLA Death Blow & the Cleric HLA Elemental Summoning.
    • Gawain: I also continue to improve my skills & am now a Lord/Fighter 28 & am able to emit the HLA War Cry

Current Party (In Order of March): (Reputation: 12 – Average: +2 rescued two prisoners)
    • Gawain: Ftr/28 (HP 165); Full Plate Mail w/ Helm of Balduran w/Sentinal +4, Ring of Protection +2, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Amulet of Seldarine; Crom Faeyr*****, Bastard Sword +2, Bastard Sword +1/+3 vs Shapeshifters*****, Bastard Sword***** (Bodhi)(1); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB, MR, CS, PA, Smite)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//24), (HP 113); Grand Masters Armor +6 w/Helm of Charm Protection & Girdle of Stone Giant Strength; Blade of the Roses +3*****, Daystar +2/+4 vs Evil creatures*****, Long Sword*****, Yamato +4**, Celestial Fury +3**, (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Saladrax) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(2); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB MR)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//16/17, (HP 70); Crimson Chain +5 w/Fortress Shield +3, & Helm of Defense, Gauntlet’s of Against Poison; Morning Star Ice Star +4***, Mace***; (Dragon – Watcher’s keep)(Cleric Aggressive)(4); (HLAs: WWA, EBs, GWWA, SoV, DB, ES)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/22); HP 113; Firecam Full Plate w/Helm of Brilliance, Paladins Bracers, Kaligun’s Amulet of Magic Resistance & Ring of Fire resistance; Ravager +4**, Mace +3 Skullcrusher**, Silver Sword**; (Chromatic Demon)(Spellcaster Attack); (3); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB, MR)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/29); (HP 91); Sylvan Chain +2 w/Dusty Rose Ioun Stone, Ring of Anti-venom & Boots of Speed w/Taralash +4* & Staff of the Ram +4*, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*, Crossbow*), Wand of Spell Striking; (Karun the Black), (Ranged, Thief Adventurer, Thief Scout)(5); (HLAs: DgrS, Evn, SExTp, SAdTp, SSTp, SoCh, UAI))
    • Sarah: Ranger (Beast master/22); HP 118; Armor of the Night +4, Helm of Loyalty, (Buckler +3); Firetooth +4, Slg +1, Clb (Il-Khan Battle Mage), (Rgr Rgd); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB, MR)

JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHlolien
  • I led my companions to the east from the North Forest to The Forest of Mir & The tTmple to try & find out the secret to this Yagu-Shura’s invincibility. I’ve come to expect a welcoming party just about anywhere we go now only I never know what to expect when they welcome us. Sure enough, a Master Wraith, two Vampiric Wraith, two Sawmp Horror & a Devil Shade met us & were responsible for the opening gala in our honor. I wasn’t too sure about the Master Wraith b/c we’d not crossed one before & I wasn’t sure what powers he might bring to bear. The other Wraiths, the Horror & the Shade were not the issue but they’re tough enough not to leave alone so the question was whether to throw everything @ The Master Wraith or spread the party to keep the other spooks busy. I went w/the latter & took the Master myself. It was an anti-climactic battle. I think Auren took a level drain but Anomen hooked her up w/a Restoration as soon as we mopped up. Then we rested.

Key Event: The next task, after a rest a short way from the Temple entrance, was to go inside & see what awaited us there. Imoen cast Invisibility on herself while using her Find/Remove Traps skill to venture in while the rest of us waited in battle formation. Imoen went in & scouted various skeletons until one of them realized she was there w/Detect Invisibility or, more likely, True Seeing. Out poured a Skeleton Warrior, a Skeleton Mage & a Skeleton Assassin, one of which summoned a Fallen Planetar & a Fallen Deva (or maybe it was the Skelton Cleric that was still in the Temple. I focused on one of them that was encircled in a Globe of Protection of some sort (Mental Note: start paying closer attention to the incantations you hear so you have some idea what those globes are). The others picked out the foes they thought best from where they stood. As usual, a Fallen Planetar really complicates things but Fallen Deva too? Really? In the end, it wasn’t much of a fight after all but like the battle w/the Master Wraith & friends I wasn’t sure what I was getting us into @ first. The Skeleton Cleric was still alive so when we were done outside we had to finish him off.

BATTLE @ THE FOREST OF MIR TEMPLE

Of interest, twice now Anomen has used his new Elemental Summoning HLA & each time he has managed to summon an elemental Prince. In this case it was Zaaman Rul, The Prince of the Good Fire Creatures & another Fire Elemental. In the Battle of the North Forest he summoned, Chan, The Princess of Good Air Creatures & another Air Elemental to our aid. He said there’s only about a 10% of that happening so to have it happen each of first two times he’s used it is either great luck or he’s definitely in good w/Helm in a big way! Either way, I’ll take it.

When Imoen scouted out Nyalee @ the top of the Temple & came down to tell me what she spied, I thought we were in for a whale of a fight against a powerful Cleric or Druid or Priestess of some type. But the mother who raised Yagu-Shura was eager to help me find him b/c she wanted to exact revenge on him for deserting her & taking her heart too. I say, too, b/c according to her the secret to Yagu-Shura’s invulnerability lies in a secret she showed him. He removes his heart & sets it ablaze &, according to Nyalee, I need to find Yagu-Shura’s heart a quench it (find hers too). Then he’s vulnerable. She seems genuinely to want to exact revenge on him so…for now that’s all I have to go with. I think she mentioned the mountains so I take it she’s referring to The Marching Mountains so that’s our next destination.

NYALEE

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 167,734) Armor: Weapons: Jewelry/Gold: Four Star Sapphire, five Black Opal’s; Potions: Scrolls: Wands: Misc & Artifacts:

Current Disposition: Resting near the temple in The Forest of Mir

Next Steps: The Marching Mountains

Level Up: None

Current Party (In Order of March): (Reputation: 12 – Average)
    • Gawain: Ftr/28 (HP 165); Full Plate Mail w/ Helm of Balduran w/Sentinal +4, Ring of Protection +2, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Amulet of Seldarine; Crom Faeyr*****, Bastard Sword +2, Bastard Sword +1/+3 vs Shapeshifters*****, Bastard Sword***** (Bodhi)(1); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB, MR, CS, PA, Smite)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//24), (HP 113); Grand Masters Armor +6 w/Helm of Charm Protection & Girdle of Stone Giant Strength; Blade of the Roses +3*****, Daystar +2/+4 vs Evil creatures*****, Long Sword*****, Yamato +4**, Celestial Fury +3**, (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Saladrax) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(2); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB MR)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//16/17, (HP 70); Crimson Chain +5 w/Fortress Shield +3, & Helm of Defense, Gauntlet’s of Against Poison; Morning Star Ice Star +4***, Mace***; (Dragon – Watcher’s keep)(Cleric Aggressive)(4); (HLAs: WWA, EBs, GWWA, SoV, DB, ES)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/22); HP 113; Firecam Full Plate w/Helm of Brilliance, Paladins Bracers, Kaligun’s Amulet of Magic Resistance & Ring of Fire resistance; Ravager +4**, Mace +3 Skullcrusher**, Silver Sword**; (Chromatic Demon)(Spellcaster Attack); (3); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB, MR)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/29); (HP 91); Sylvan Chain +2 w/Dusty Rose Ioun Stone, Ring of Anti-venom & Boots of Speed w/Taralash +4* & Staff of the Ram +4*, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*, Crossbow*), Wand of Spell Striking; (Karun the Black), (Ranged, Thief Adventurer, Thief Scout)(5); (HLAs: DgrS, Evn, SExTp, SAdTp, SSTp, SoCh, UAI))
    • Sarah: Ranger (Beast master/22); HP 118; Armor of the Night +4, Helm of Loyalty, (Buckler +3); Firetooth +4, Slg +1, Clb (Il-Khan Battle Mage), (Rgr Rgd); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB, MR)

edited October 2015
    I led my followers in an assault on Yagu-Shura’s Lair next. When we first arrived it looks as if it might be a tall order (no pun intended, rally!) The first things we battled were Chinchilla (18k) & two Fire Giants (patrolling) (Imoen Thf//30). The first couple of times we returned all we managed was a battle against two Fire Giants and then three Fire Giants before we could finally begin the real assault.

Yagu-Shura’s Lair was not hard to find after that &, as expected, was full of Fire Giants. Just inside we six of them: two Elite Fire Giants & four Fire Giants that we beat down. We tried to set up a trap outside the door but they wouldn’t bite & follow us out so we organized & went in & concentrated on one @ a time, withdrawing to drink healing potions as needed before we finished them off. (Auren Ftr/App//25, Sarah Rgr/BMst//23).

Using Imoen to move ahead & scout having cast Invisibility on herself & using her Find/Remove Traps ability & her Boots of Speed so that we were able to see what was waiting before they knew we were there: with exception of a couple of times where the invisibility was not a camouflage w/some specific enemies, e.g. Flaming Skulls.

It wasn’t long after we got there that we realized we were hunting for four wardstones to put into a pillar that would open a long steeply rising flight of stairs for us, which we expected would lead to a lot more Fire Giants. T

The Hammer Wardstone was right out in the open, siting in an ornate fountain of hot coals, but it was guarded by two Fire Salamander’s & four Fire Trolls that materialized as soon as Imoen grabbed the wardstone & a Girdle of Fire Giant Strength. Imoen drew them back to us near the front door & we finished them.

The Skull Wardstone was also out in the open, surrounded by Two Elite Fire Giants & three Fire Giants. Imoen saw the situatin & while out of site, laid an Exploding Trap, an Acid Trap, a Spike Trap & five or so snares. She ran in in her Boots of Speed next, grabbed the wardstone, & then led the giants in a chase, right over her traps. One of them died there, then she led the rest back to where we were waiting. We cut them down & gathered their treasures & armor. My memory is a little fuzzy here. We defeated a Clay Golem an Adamantine Golem & magic Golem at one point & I thought they were here but once again my note-taking fails me.

The Flame Wardstone was more difficult as we had to manipulate a place in the wall in the front room which opened the door to the room where it was. That room was already full of boogie men & by the time we’d beaten the first wave & 2nd wave of defenders we’d beaten a Burning Man, a Flaming Skull, two Fell Cat’s & three Fire Salamander’s. Here again, my timeline leaves something to be desired. I know we had a battle w/Four Burning Men, a hard one & I thought it was here but I can’t decipher my own notes so I list them here lest I forget all together.

We got the final wardstone in the same way as the third but it was on the front room on the other side of the entrance chamber. We battled there & that might be where we fought the Golem’s but I just can’t be sure. I do remember trying to deal w/an Erinyes & I don’t think we ever defeated her. I guess she just headed back to the Nine Hells or just decided to stay out of site. We tried True Seeing but never found her after hitting her a few times.

We put the wardstones in the pillar & released the force that kept us from descending the stairway up (Gawain Ftr/29). I returned us to the North Forest to sell out goods to the stranded merchant & rest before assaulting further. We also defeated two Bone Fiends somewhere right in here. Keldorn Pal/Inq//23).

OPENING THE WAY

Key Event: On return we had to work our way thru two patrolling Fire Giants before we were able to ascend the stairs & attack. In the same way as before, Imoen approached having cast Invisibility on herself while using her Find/Remove Traps & Boots of Speed abilities. She spied two Fire Giant guards & was able to get around into the room behind them that was full of Elite Fire Giants & Fire Giants. She was finally detected by a Flaming Skull & two Fell Cat’s that chased her & when the did she came to us to let us know what was coming (we’d waited @ the foot of the stairs). We destroyed them. For some reason the other Fire Giants didn’t use the main door, not could we open it so the giants kept getting hund in the passageways where the molten rock & ashes flowed in lava garden streams that run throughout the place. The giants stuck near those we easy pray for Anomen, Imoen & Sarah. Behind that door was a Fire Giant Priest (note: Brennan) who we could hear incanting spells. Anomen cast spell after spell & we worked both ends of the main door getting in & out for hit & run attacks. Anomen used Elemental Summoning & Sarah Animal Summoning III to keep them busy. We came into the room to attack from both ends & ended up killing two Elite Fire Giants & five Fire Giants in all, while getting Yagu-Shura’s heart & other heart (the latter in Tagu-Shura’s personal quarters). In that room we defeated a powerful Burning Man (Imix) (Imoen Ch Rge/Thf//31) & two other Burning Men. We freed a slave kept there as well & she had some information but nothing new. We returned to Yagu-Shura’s mother Nyalee & she did extinguish his heat & she did attack as I knew she would. She also called a three Shambling Mounds & two Nymphs to aid her. We defeated her & her allies although Auren was knocked out by a Shammbling Mound but Anomen returned her to health.

IMIX FALLS

NYALEE RETRACTS HER ORIGINAL ASSURANCES

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 263,441) Armor: White Dragon Scale Armor (Gawain), Girdle of Fire Giant Strength, Rogue Stone, Laear’s Tear Necklace, Star Sapphire, Strength (Keldorn); Two sets Full Plate; Weapons: Jewelry/Gold: 4072gp, five Kings Tears, five Emeralds, two Sphene Gems, 120gp, 120gp, 100gp, 100gp; Potions: eight Superior Healing, four Invulnerability; Scrolls: Wands: Misc & Artifacts: Golem Manual (Imoen)

Current Disposition: Camping just outside of the walls to Sardush.

Next Steps: Defeat yagu-Shura

Level Up:
    • Imoen: I doubt there is any rogue anywhere as powerful as my ‘lil sis Imoen. She’s gone from Charming Rogue/30-31 (Thief/31) & has added the HLAs Assassination & Avoid death
    • Auren: Auren continues to be @ the forefront of each & every fight no matter where I put her in formation. I gladly gave her a battlefield promotion as we approached Yaga-Shura’s Lair, battling Fire Giants all the way. She is now an Apprentice/25 (Fighter/25) & is no apprentice @ anything. She has added the HLA Power Attack!
    • Sarah: My newest party member is really working out & the huge animals she’s brings to our side are a nice asset. I promoted her in Yagu-Shura’s Lair from Ranger/Beast Master 22 to Ranger/Beast Master/23. She selected the HLA Resist Magic.
    • Keldorn: Has achieved Paladin/Inquisitor/23 & selected the HLA PAtk
    • Gawain: I have improved my skills as a Knight & a Lord & I am now Fighter/Lord//29 & added HLA Hardiness

• Gawain: Ftr/29 (HP 165); White Dragon Scale Armor w/ Helm of Balduran w/Sentinal +4, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Amulet of Seldarine; Crom Faeyr*****, Bastard Sword +2, Bastard Sword +1/+3 vs Shapeshifters*****, Bastard Sword***** (Bodhi)(1); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDBw, MgRs, CrSk, PAtk, Smite, Hdns)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/23); HP 116; Firecam Full Plate w/Helm of Brilliance, Paladins Bracers, Girdle of Fire Giant Strength; Kaligun’s Amulet of Magic Resistance & Ring of Fire resistance; Ravager +4**, Mace +3 Skullcrusher**, Silver Sword**; (Chromatic Demon)(Spellcaster Attack); (2); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDB, MgRs, PAtk)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//16/17, (HP 70); Crimson Chain +5 w/Fortress Shield +3, & Helm of Defense, Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, Periapt of Proof Against Poison; Morning Star Ice Star +4***, Mace***; (Dragon – Watcher’s keep)(Cleric Aggressive)(3); (HLAs: WWA, EBs, GWWA, SoV, DBw, ES)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//25), (HP 116); Grand Masters Armor +6 w/Helm of Charm Protection & Girdle of Stone Giant Strength; Blade of the Roses +3*****, Daystar +2/+4 vs Evil creatures*****, Long Sword*****, Yamato +4**, Celestial Fury +3**, (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Saladrax) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(4); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDBw MgRs,PAtk)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/31); (HP 95); Sylvan Chain +2 w/Dusty Rose Ioun Stone, Ring of Anti-venom & Boots of Speed w/Taralash +4* & Staff of the Ram +4*, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*, Crossbow*), Wand of Spell Striking; (Karun the Black), (Ranged, Thief Adventurer, Thief Scout)(5); (HLAs: DgrS, Evn, SExTp, SAdTp, SSTp, SoCh, UAI, Asn, AvDth))
    • Sarah: Ranger (Beast master/23); HP 121; Armor of the Night +4, Helm of Loyalty, (Buckler +3); Firetooth +4, Slg +1, Clb (Il-Khan Battle Mage), (Rgr Rgd)(6); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB, MR, CR)

edited October 2015
    Next up, we needed to infiltrate Yagu-Shura’s Siege Camp. We slipped in under cover of darkness to probe the lines & gather as much intelligence as we could. Initially, we cut down three Yagu-Shura Soldiers on the north side of a bridge that forded a stream over which the reaminder of Yagu-Shura’s army lay encamped.

Once we had cleared the north side of the stream, I decided to make an assault. I had Imoen cast her Mass Invisibility on all of us while Anomen protected us w/a Chant. The remainder of us waited in the north side of the bridge in battle formation while Imoen moved across equipped w/her Boots of Speed to scout the south side in hopes that we could pick off pockets of his army piecemeal. That didn’t work. Yagu-Shura himself spied her through her invisibility & called his army to fill the cap as they rushed across the bridge. Imoen pulled back to the north side & worked side by side w/Sarah trying to pelt the enemy w/ranged weapons while Auren, Keldorn, & I worked on the Yagu-Shura soldiers that had crossed the bridge. Anomen has really started to use his spells effectively to cut down our foes & he was doing just that. My problem was some of Yagu-Shura’s bowmen had gotten behind us & were making it hard to focus completely for fear of being surrounded. Yagu-Shura was just about across the bridge as were a couple of his giants. I had to pull us back but not before we had taken down one Fire Giant, a Yagu-Shura Elite, three Yagu-Shura Officer’s & five Yagu-Shura Soldiers.

Key Event: After popping back into the Pocket Plane to rest unmolested it was time to go for the big fish. My first thought was that we’d take down a giant or two @ a time, maybe some of the tougher Yagu-Shura fighters & then assess the situation from there. Instead, when we cleared the horizon we were standing right in front of Yagu-Shura. Remembering Melissan’s words, I saw the opportunity & took it…everyone on the big guy. We tore him down in three, four melee rounds w/o worrying about his army that was all around us trying to impede our efforts. When the smoke cleared he lay dead @ our feet &, just like Melissan said, his army melted around us. As we stood there, almost suspended in the moment...

DEFEATING YAGU-SHURA

… I was suddenly in the Pocket Plane. Solar took me thru some disturbing truths about my life (if I’m to believe them), especially the part about my mother being a disciple of Bhaal. Not how I envisioned my mother but then I find that Gorion saved me from being sacrificed to Bhaal when it could just as easily have been Serevok who was saved & could have been him…

LEARNING MY HISTORY

...& then Melissan appeared to tell me all but a very few of the Bhaal-Spawn were dead. She told me Yagu-Shura had two other allies, Bhaal-Spawn named Abazigal & Sendai, would were building armies of their own. She said there was no place that I’d be safe except for in a desert town called Amkethran where someone named, Baltazar, an ally she said, could be trusted.

I returned us to the Pocket Plane where Cespenar fashioned Runehammer +5 for Anomen from the Runehammer we’d gotten in Yagu-Shura’s Lair (I can’t remember now what else he required but we had it). He was also able to improve Imoen’s Manual of Golem’s from one that made only Flesh Golem’s into a Manual of Clay Golems from one simple page we’d found that needed to be added into the book.

From there it was out across the desert in search of Amkethran. On the way, we decided to stop at an oasis to refresh ourselves. There we were assaulted by a ‘delegation’ from Tethyr who’d been sent to execute me for supposed crimes in Saradush. There was no talking, no reasoning, just an all-out attack. The Tytherian’s were led by a General Tambelthen (10k). When we first got there we were forced to kill him & two Tytherian Captains, a Cleric of Lathander (we could tell by the holy symbol), two Tytherian Pikemen, Tytherian Battlemage & five Tytherian Archers. That wore us out but we thought we’d beaten them all so we rested before trying to enter the oasis again but the welcoming party wasn’t finished. Led by an overzealous Tytherian Captain we were attacked again, & again, a Cleric of Lathander, six more Tytherian Pikemen, another Tytherian Battle Mage & this time, nine Tytherian Archers. These were good people from a good town sent to kill me for something I had nothing to do with. Contrarily, I almost gave my life & the lives of my followers, companions & friends to aid the people of Saradush & that infuriates me. Whoever is behind this will pay & I aim to find out who that is.

BATTLE OF THE OASIS

I arrived in Amkethran & wanted to head straight for the inn. The desert is dry & dusty & we all needed to break, wherever we could, even if the accommodations were as bad as they were in Saradush. Not quite, actually but I’m ahead of myself. As we entered the Inn, Saemon Haevarian, yeap, that one, was about to have his hide handed to him by a couple of mercenaries. And, in his slimy way, suddenly he had the situation turned around & the mercenaries were attacking us while he weaseled away. After we were forced to kill two Amkethran Mercenaries we finally made our way into the inn where we rested, taking turns using whichever of the four beds were available. I know this place is dangerous as the Nine Hells but I had everyone get out of there armor & rest a bit. If we got cornered in here, we’d have to do what we could but we needed to get out of our gear for a bit, keeping our weapons nearby.

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 324,442) Armor: Shuruppak’s Plate (Gawain); Shield of the Order +4 & Runehammer +4 (Anomen), The Answerer +4 (Auren); seven sets Full Plate, three Bastard Swords +3 (one to Gawain), two Chain Mail +3, 13 Composite Longbows +3, Medium Shield +2, Halberd +2, eight Spears +2, 13 Studded Leather +2; Weapons: Jewelry/Gold: 2022gp, Ring of Improved Invisibility, King’s Tears, Bloodstone Amulet; Scrolls: Wands: Misc & Artifacts:

Current Disposition: Resting warily @ the Inn in Ankethran

Next Steps: Explore Ankethran but first I’m going to have us check into a man who says his daughter is ill & needs my help. This man, Marlowe, has asked me to meet him @ his home. He seems desperate & the innkeeper didn’t seem to feel him a threat, so I’ll head there in a while. It just dawns on me that when I was thru w/Solar, before I was back standing w/Melissan, that I realized another challenge lay before me in the Pocket Plane so I will need to face that too.

Level Up:

• Anomen: Just as I began to give Anomen another battlefield promotion it suddenly became apparent that Helm, too, had decided Anomen worthy of the same. Anomen was simultaneously promoted to Lord/17 & Watcher of Helm/18 (Fighter//Cleric 17/18). He selected Greater Death Blow & Globe of Blades HLAs simultaneously
    • Sarah: Has definitely made her worth apparent since she’s been w/us. Her skills have improved rapidly & it is apparent that she is one w/her animals. She is now a Ranger/Beast Madter/24 & added Power Attack as a new HLA
    • Auren: How can I not continue to promote Auren as she stands @ the forefront & center of every battle. I have selected her for & promoted her to Apprentice/26 (Fighter/26)

• Gawain: Ftr/29 (HP 165); Shuruppak’s Plate w/ Helm of Balduran w/Sentinal +4, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Amulet of Seldarine; Crom Faeyr*****, Bastard Sword +3*****, Bastard Sword +1/+3 vs Shapeshifters*****, Bastard Sword***** (Bodhi)(1); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDBw, MgRs, CrSk, PAtk, Smite, Hdns)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/23); HP 116; White Dragon Scale Armor w/Helm of Brilliance, Paladins Bracers, Girdle of Fire Giant Strength; Kaligun’s Amulet of Magic Resistance & Ring of Fire resistance (Fortress Shield +3); Ravager +4**, Morning Star Ice Star +4**; (Chromatic Demon)(Spellcaster Attack); (2); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDB, MgRs, PAtk)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//26), (HP 119); Grand Masters Armor +6 w/Helm of Charm Protection & Girdle of Stone Giant Strength; The Answerer +4*****, Yamato +4**, Long Sword*****, (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Saladrax) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(4); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDBw MgRs,PAtk, CS)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//17/18, (HP 72); Crimson Chain +5 w/Shield of the Order +4, & Helm of Defense, Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, Periapt of Proof Against Poison; Runehammer +5***, , Mace***; (Dragon – Watcher’s keep)(Cleric Aggressive)(3); (HLAs: WWA, EBs, GWWA, SoV, DBw, ES, GDB, GoB)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/31); (HP 95); Sylvan Chain +2 w/Dusty Rose Ioun Stone, Ring of Anti-venom, Ring of Improved Invisibility & Boots of Speed w/Taralash +4* & Staff of the Ram +4*, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*, Crossbow*), Wand of Spell Striking; (Elite Fire Giant), (Ranged, Thief Adventurer, Thief Scout)(5); (HLAs: DgrS, Evn, SExTp, SAdTp, SSTp, SoCh, UAI, Asn, AvDth))
    • Sarah: Ranger (Beast master/24); HP 124; Armor of the Night +4, Helm of Loyalty, (Buckler +3); Firetooth +4, Slg +1, Clb (Il-Khan Battle Mage), (Rgr Rgd)(6); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB, MR, PAtk)

edited November 2015
    Baltazar, Melissan’s ally, has taken control of a monastery in Amkethran & is using it as his base of operations. I don’t know what he’s up to in there but it is obvious his presence has changed the Monks’ relationship w/the people of the town. The people are starving & the Monks’ have no concern for their welfare. To make matters worse, the Monks are downright threatening toward the people. I have real doubt’s after meeting Baltazar briefly that he is an ally of mine. Worse, I’m not sure about Melissan at all. I already had my doubts before b/c she always appears @ key moments out of nowhere & then tried to set my next course w/tidbits of sketchy information. Now I’m in this place w/her professed ally who seems anything but an ally of mine. I suddenly have a real sense that I’m surrounded by enemies & that I’m being directed on a course that is designed to end in my destruction. Right now, in this place, the only people I trust for sure are these five people who slumber near me as I keep my watch (even in an inn, we are forced to take turns keeping watch @ all times) in this inn in a place called Amkethran. Amkethran, a place I’d never even heard of w/all my learning @ Candlekeep, before Melissan uttered its name.

There’s only one temple in town, same as in Saradush, & same as Saradush, it’s a Temple of Waukeen. At one point we witnessed a confrontation between one of the temple’s two priests & one of the Monks who serve a monastery. This was before I had met Baltazar but the Monk was belligerent & he even blasphemed Waukeen to the priest. Of course, that enraged the priest & a battle ensued. I didn’t like the Monk’s tone &, while I have no ties to Waukeen I elected to protect the priest who was only pleading on behalf of the hungry people of the town. About the time we were about to kill the Monk, a mage from the monastery appeared & threatened me, if not directly, to stay out of Baltazar’s business. That was the third time I got an uneasy feeling about this place…meeting Baltazar was the straw that broke the camels’ back. Oh, just for the record, the first time was The Battle of the Oasis (it just seemed too convenient), the second was when I had to kill mercenaries roaming uncontrolled through the streets here. We have been blessed & were able to contribute 1000gp to the Temple of Waukeen to aid the townspeople (note: Reputation +1).

While there we met a man named Marlowe. Marlowe’s was the sad case of a man who let greed drive him to do the unthinkable. He offered his soul to a Lich in exchange for 20 years of wealth & prosperity. The Lich, Vongoethe, had kept his end of the bargain but when it came time to keep his end of the bargain, Marlowe reneged to the extent that he allowed his own wife to die rather than give up his soul. He evaded The Lich & ran to Amkethran, before the gig was up. Now his daughter’s life was in The Lich’s grasp & Marlowe was @ his wits end. I confronted The Lich thinking that his actions were unprovoked. When I talked w/him & learned the truth & I had to pause b/c @ that point I didn’t have the young woman’s soul in hand. I talked it over w/the Lich & he agreed that if I brought Marlowe to him, he’d release the daughter’s soul. Then I returned to Marlowe & he knew it was time. I walked beside him on the long walk to The Lich’s Lair in the town’s cave/tomb & Anomen prayed w/him that Helm might somehow aid him in what was to come. Marlowe willingly gave up his soul. Part of me wanted to battle the Lich but he’d kept his end of the bargain. To destroy him would be to destroy evil but we live in a Toril that allows beings to make their own choices between good & evil, law & chaos. I disdain everything that Vongoethe is, everything he represents but he was trustworthy in his dealings w/Marlowe & w/me. I had the daughter’s soul, which I was able to return to her. W/her parents’ gone, life was going to be difficult. I’m swimming in gold which is no good to me unless I use it to further the cause of Law & Goodness…all of us were happy to share 5000gps w/her to help her get along. I wish sometimes things were not so cut & dry…I wish that damned Lich had reneged so that I could have pummeled him mercilessly…but he did not.

MARLOWE'S FATE

As an aside, when we left the inn the first night to look into Marlowe’s situation, we came across two mercenaries w/Chain Mail +3, Medium Shields +2, Long Swords +1 who were mugging the town Mayor’s & his daughter. They’re not alive anymore, just like the two that had been confronting, Saemon Haevarian before the snake oil salesman turned his problem into mine. The point here is that with all the powerful Monk’s who undoubtedly call the monastery home, there is no security for the people who live here, no justice whatsoever.

My time in Amkethran has been somewhat productive. Now that Imoen has the Use Any Item ability, she stocked up on the very best scrolls available from Lazarus Librarus, a mage who just arrived in town to start a business. Lazarus & the Smith Kerrick combined their efforts & have a shop called Kerrick’s Smithy & Arcana Archives II. Imoen spent over 200,000gps on scrolls, largely spells designed to defeat enemy mages & those needed to protect herself so that she can do just that.

On one of these encounters, we got a clasp needed for a cloak we’d found that Cespenar fashioned into Montolio’s Cloak, a powerful Ranger’s Cloak for Sarah.

Key Event: Not knowing what else to do, I headed out to explore the strongholds of Abazigal & Sendai. I chose Abazigal first using the greatest means I could come up with – alphabetically. I carefully had Imoen cast Mass Invisibility on us & Anomen, Chant. The rest of us protected ourselves w/Magic Resistance were prepared to use out best HLA as soon as battle became imminent. Imoen moved forward to probe what lay @ the top of the massive, ornate stairs that led up beyond our view. She was detected by a man named Draconis who claimed to be the son of Abazigal & who was immediately hostile. We fumbled around trying to get an offensive going but to no avail. Before we knew it there was a Dark Planetar & four or five Aerial Servants confusing matters & we just couldn’t get organized so I pulled us back in a retrograde to Amkethran.

I turned us around immediately to conduct a reconnaissance in force to see if we could catch him off guard. No dice. As soon as we started incanting spells he was there. He got his Timestop off before Imoen got her (she was casting the same spell). The damage he caused took out Auren & Imoen so another retrograde was in order & so we’re back in Amkethran again. We’ll go back after him again in the next day or so.

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 71,040 (spent 253,042 gp on scrolls & potions) Armor: two sets Chain Mail +3, two Medium Shields +1, two Long Swords +1; Weapons: Jewelry/Gold: Scrolls: Over 200,000 worth! Wands: Misc & Artifacts:

Current Disposition: At the inn in Amkethran.

Next Steps: Destroy Draconis! Oh, & then destroy Abazigal.

Level Up: None

Current Party (In Order of March): (Reputation: 13 – Popular - +1 gave 1000gp to help Temple of Waukeen feed the poor)
    • Gawain: Ftr/29 (HP 165); Shuruppak’s Plate w/ Helm of Balduran w/Sentinal +4, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Amulet of Seldarine; Crom Faeyr*****, Bastard Sword +3*****, Bastard Sword +1/+3 vs Shapeshifters*****, Bastard Sword***** (Bodhi)(1); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDBw, MgRs, CrSk, PAtk, Smite, Hdns)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/23); HP 116; White Dragon Scale Armor w/Helm of Brilliance, Paladins Bracers, Girdle of Fire Giant Strength; Kaligun’s Amulet of Magic Resistance & Ring of Fire resistance (Fortress Shield +3); Ravager +4**, Morning Star Ice Star +4**; (Chromatic Demon)(Spellcaster Attack); (2); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDB, MgRs, PAtk)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//26), (HP 119); Grand Masters Armor +6 w/Helm of Charm Protection & Girdle of Stone Giant Strength; The Answerer +4*****, Yamato +4**, Long Sword*****, (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Saladrax) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(4); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDBw MgRs,PAtk, CS)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//17/18, (HP 72); Crimson Chain +5 w/Shield of the Order +4, & Helm of Defense, Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, Periapt of Proof Against Poison; Runehammer +5***, , Mace***; (Dragon – Watcher’s keep)(Cleric Aggressive)(3); (HLAs: WWA, EBs, GWWA, SoV, DBw, ES, GDB, GoB)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/31); (HP 95); Sylvan Chain +2 w/Dusty Rose Ioun Stone, Ring of Anti-venom, Ring of Improved Invisibility & Boots of Speed w/Taralash +4* & Staff of the Ram +4*, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*, Crossbow*), Wand of Spell Striking; (Elite Fire Giant), (Ranged, Thief Adventurer, Thief Scout)(5); (HLAs: DgrS, Evn, SExTp, SAdTp, SSTp, SoCh, UAI, Asn, AvDth))
    • Sarah: Ranger (Beast master/24); HP 124; Armor of the Night +4, Helm of Loyalty, Montolio’s Cloak, (Buckler +3); Firetooth +4, Slg +1, Clb (Il-Khan Battle Mage), (Rgr Rgd)(6); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB, MR, PAtk)

• Draconis took some work. He really made his big mistake when he decided to reveal that in reality he was a massive Brown Dragon. He thought that would shake us up, cause fear, but instead it made it more clear who & what we were fighting. We’ve killed a dragon or two: Shadow Dragon (Thaxll’ssillliya), Red Dragon (Saladrex), Green Dragon in Watcher’s Keep, & yes, the Gold Dragon near the Gates to the nine Hells, maybe one or two more I can’t remember. A dragon can be a pain in the arse…but they can also be beaten. Draconis was no different. We used a probe & run, probe & run, probe & run strategy with him.

In human form, he was extremely difficult & we dared not engage directly for fear of getting trapped. Every time we’d reengage he had the same spell protections up & it seemed he was armed w/endless Time Stop spells. I wore my cpmpanion’s out using escape & evasion tactics to avoid a direct confrontation until, finally, one of us landed a blow w/a non-enchanted weapon. Then Keldorn threw his shield on the ground & grabbed his non-enchanted Two-Handed sword, while I reached for my plain ole Bastard Sword. I think it was Auren w/her non-enchanted Long Sword that drew first blood. Soon we were pummeling him & it seemed the battle was about to end when he revealed his true Brown Dragon form. We had all taken some blows @ that point so we pulled back again but not to rest. @ one point both Anomen & Imoen were out of action & we had to use the temple to revive them, lest we allow Draconis to rest. We never rested, for four days or so (except to pause in the shade of some desert rocks for a few hours) & we weren’t going to let him get any sleep either. This battle was going to end before anyone slumbered, nor was anyone recovering any spells outside of magical means, e.g. Wondrous Recall.

Key Event: Once he was revealed it was time to go after him in a full-movement to contact. Imoen cast Mass Invisibility on all of us (for what that’s worth here) & then used her Avoid Death ability before approaching Draconis directly & casting Pierce Shield @ him but he used his Dragon Breath on her & disrupted the spell. However, since Imoen was protected w/Avoid Death she backed off barely harmed. Then we all moved in full-on to attack him do or die. Imoen moved to where she could cast a Lower Resistance spell which she followed up a bit later w/a Warding Whip. While she danced around him staying out of range, Sarah, was able to land Flaming Bolts from Firetooth +4 ensuring that Draconis was constantly dealing with nagging, painful blows while the other four of us surrounded him & belted him with our weapons (magical now). He pushed us off a couple of times w/his wing buffet but we kept coming back. He used Invisibility once or twice but as soon as he did Keldorn countered w/True Seeing. Draconis was defeated in no time after that. Auren landed the killing blow but her kill of another dragon, Saladrex, is still her best. Draconis had little treasure but he had some Monk’s Bracers, Tzu-Zan’s Bracers, which w/her Use Any Item ability, Imoen is able to use to benefit her AC (note: -9).

AUREN DOES IT AGAIN!

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 71,040) Armor: Tzu-Zan’s Bracers (Imoen); Weapons: Jewelry/Gold: Scrolls: Wands: Misc & Artifacts:

Current Disposition: We’ll use Amkethran as our base while we work on Abazigal’s lair.

Next Steps: Enter Abazigal’s Lair & conduct an initial reconnaissance.

Level Up:

• Keldorn: Keldorn is a true warrior of the faith & has been promoted by his order to Paladin/Inquisitor//24. He selected the HLA Critical Strike.

Current Party (In Order of March): (Reputation: 13)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/24); HP 119; White Dragon Scale Armor w/Helm of Brilliance, Paladins Bracers, Girdle of Fire Giant Strength; Kaligun’s Amulet of Magic Resistance & Ring of Fire resistance (Fortress Shield +3); Ravager +4**, Morning Star Ice Star +4**; (Chromatic Demon)(Spellcaster Attack); (2); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDB, MgRs, PAtk, CrStk)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/31); (HP 95); Sylvan Chain +2 w/Dusty Rose Ioun Stone, Tzu-Zan’s Bracers, Ring of Anti-venom, Ring of Improved Invisibility & Boots of Speed w/Taralash +4* & Staff of the Ram +4*, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*, Crossbow*), Wand of Spell Striking; (Elite Fire Giant), (Ranged, Thief Adventurer, Thief Scout)(5); (HLAs: DgrS, Evn, SExTp, SAdTp, SSTp, SoCh, UAI, Asn, AvDth))
    • Sarah: Ranger (Beast master/24); HP 124; Armor of the Night +4, Helm of Loyalty, Montolio’s Cloak, (Buckler +3); Firetooth +4, Slg +1, Clb (Il-Khan Battle Mage), (Rgr Rgd)(6); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB, MR, PAtk)

edited November 2015
    When we were finally ready to make an on out assault on Abizigal’s Lair, having defeated Draconis earlier, we entered into a cave complex filled with four pools & a Greater Wyvern w/five Lesser Earth Elementals. We dealt w/them easily enough but Auren tripped a trap & fell so Keldorn used his Paladin’s Gloves to raise her back to us. With a few other injuries we tried to rest & recover our strength, which we did but were once interrupted by a Greater Earth Elemental that we were forced to dispatch before we could finally fully rest. It didn’t make much sense to travel back & forth to Amkethran as I figured we were going to be here a while so we set our minds to staying down here until the mission was complete.

So, this was a weird lair. Everything was connected by underwater tunnels that we had to traverse using a water breathing potion of which we had only a scarce amount. We’d enter in one pool & head as quickly as possible for the light that indicated the exit from a different pool, generally in another room – but not always. The underwater breathing potion was not one that would last indefinitely, so we’d all take a sip & then jump in quickly. None of us could swim w/our armor so we just moved along the bottom as quickly as our weight would allow. It’s a good thing that this lair is in the desert b/c had the bottom been filled w/silt & mud I don’t think there’s any way we could move fast enough between pools. The bottom of the underwater pools was solid rock w/just a few ledges that had to be negotiated but we were able to work around them w/o much trouble. The first room we found had five Frost Salamander’s in it & we rolled them pretty easily before deciding to rest again & again we were disturbed, this time by tree more Frost Salamander’s that we defeated. And again we tried to rest and again we had to defeat three Frost Salamander’s before we could finally get an eight hour respite.

The next pool opened into a Kuo-Toa Lair. These was a Kuo-Toa Bee-hive too b/c they had Greater Water Elemental allies including an Olhydra in their complex. We won out & beat them all & by the time we’d cleared the complex we’d defeated a Kuo-Toa CPT, five Kuo-Toa Archers, five Kuo-Toa Warriors, two Kuo-Toa Priests, two Kuo-Toa Whips & the Olhydra w/six Greater Water Elementals. I took us to the main chamber so we could rest. Yeah, right. Four failed attempts & eight dead Clay Golem’s later we finally left Abizigal’s Lair & got eight hours to heal & just breathe outside. Being Mirtul, The Melting month, it’s not as hot here as it will be in the next 45 days or so & the air is definitely fresher that it is in Abizigal’s Lair.

Next we found a large open cavern that was full of things one of us said were Seekers (like Flaming Skulls w/o the flame) were able to summon wolves, even an Ogre. They would shoot Aganazzer’s Scorcher & pop off Magic Missiles which wouldn’t be so bacl except that they hovered together in groups of 10 or so. What we did accomplish there was to meet a wizard who was able to tell us how to get around Abizigal’s Dragon Guard. He told us he had the scroll that would remove the Geas Spell cast on her that kept her there guarding the entrance to his chamber. The mage wanted an eye stalk for a Beholder, maybe he specified an Elder Orb, but whatever the case, conveniently, we were able to hire three adventurers who were Petrified standing right near where we met the mage. For only 100gp we had our light work handled. Anomen always carries about five Stone to Flesh spells & he only needed one for all three adventurers. They took care of business, found the eye stalk which we gave to the mage & he gave us the scroll. We were exploring pools in that room & we found the one w/not one, not two, but three Elder Orb’s waiting as soon as we emerged. No way was I getting us into that fight w/o the ability to set our feet so I passed on ending their existence lest we lost a valuable companion.

Key Event: Eventually we found the Green Dragon that guarded Abizigal. Again, I chose to bypass her by reading the scroll & releasing her. She almost ran her mouth too much w/her boasting after Anomen freed her but my mission was Abazigal, & as w/the Elber Orb’s it wasn’t worth the possibility of losing an ally just to defeat another mouthy dragon. Next up we passed into what was obviously Abazigal’s Lair. Colder than anybody’s business, I expected to find a Blue Dragon (or maybe a white) but what we intitally found were Ice Salamander’s which we defeated but they have quite a sting – they don’t go down easily. Then Abizigal showed himself. What a prig. There’s not many bad guys I’ve met since I left Candlekeep that made me feel hatred so quickly as this guy did. We attacked him & beat the smack out of him (even though he had a bad arsed sword) but then, he pulled a Draconis & was suddenly a huge Blue Dragon. I don’t know who landed the final blow but the kill goes to Imoen who laid all her traps when we first got there b/c nothifng approached us @ the door. We immediately strategized to find Abazigal wherever he was & bring him to us where we could concentrate our attacks. Sure enough, after fighting & defeating four Frost Salamander’s (& a Fire Salamander) we battled Abazigal in human form. As soon as we had beaten him, he exploded into his Blue Dragon form & when he did he tripped seven of Imoen’s traps & was crippled @ that moment. The next hit or two took him down & he was gone. (Gawain/Ftr//31; Sarah/Rgr-BstMst//25)

ABAZIGAL FALLS

ABAZIGAL FALLS II

Sadly, after defeating Abazigal I was sucked back into the pocket plane to meet w/Solar. She guides me, questions me but it always ends in a trial. I was drawn into a room where I faced a version of myself as well as some other apparitions from my past. I defeated them but lost my friend Sarah who had been such a help to us all & had been an enthusiastic companion since she joined just a few weeks ago. I didn't even have time to mourn her & I called on Valygar to rejoin me which he readily did. I had another test right after that one in which I had to face my innocence which then became The Ravager when I chose to leave things as they are rather than return to the innocence of Candlekeep. I don’t see how I could hide behind the walls of Candlekeep knowing the evil that would be outside those walls. W/Valygar now my sixth, we crushed the Ravager easily (Keldorn Pdn/Inq//25, Valygar Rgr/Sam//21).

A TOUGH BATTLE....

...GETS EVEN TOUGHER

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 17,820) Armor: Gram the Sword of Grief +5 (Keldorn), Blue Dragon Plate; Tzu-Zan’s Bracers (Imoen); Ramorach’s Horn; Weapons: Jewelry/Gold: Scrolls: Wands: Misc & Artifacts:

Current Disposition: Resting @ the Amkethran Inn

Next Steps: Sendai

Level Up:

• Keldorn: Keldorn is a true warrior of the faith & has been promoted by his order to Paladin/Inquisitor//24-25. He selected the HLA Critical Strike.
    • Gawain: My skills get better fighting battles such as these one after another. I am not promoted to Lord/31 (Fighter/31) & I selected a 2nd GWWAtk as me HLA
    • Sarah: Becoming a critical & valuable member of our team, her Ranger/Beastmaster skills are now a Level 25. She selected Critical Strike as her next HLA.
    • Imoen: After being raised following me second test against myself, Semaj, Angelo, Tamako a Balor & a Glabrezu, Imoen found that her Charming Rogue (Thief) Skills were improved to Level 32 & HLAs
    • Valygar: Joined us & then quickly advanced to Ranger/Samurai/21 in helping us defeat The Ravager during my 3rd test in the Pocket Plane

• Gawain: Ftr/31 (HP 168); Shuruppak’s Plate w/ Helm of Balduran w/Sentinal +4, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Amulet of Seldarine; Crom Faeyr***** (Censpenar) &, Bastard Sword +3*****, Bastard Sword +1/+3 vs Shapeshifters*****, Bastard Sword***** (Bodhi)(1); (HLAs: WWAtk, GWWAtk x2, DBw, GDBw, MgRs, CrSk, PAtk, Smite, Hdns)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/25); HP 122; White Dragon Scale Armor (Censpenar)& w/Helm of Brilliance, Paladins Bracers, Girdle of Fire Giant Strength; Kaligun’s Amulet of Magic Resistance & Ring of Fire resistance (Fortress Shield +3); Ravager +4**, Morning Star Ice Star +4**; (Chromatic Demon)(Spellcaster Attack); (2); (HLAs: WWAtk, GWWAtk, DBw, GDBw, MgRs, PAtk, CrStk)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//27), (HP 122); Grand Masters Armor +6 w/Helm of Charm Protection & Girdle of Stone Giant Strength; The Answerer +4*****, Yamato +4**, Long Sword*****, (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Saladrax) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(4); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDBw MgRs,PAtk, CS)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//17/18, (HP 72); Blue Dragon Plate (Censpenar); w/Shield of the Order +4, & Helm of Defense, Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, Periapt of Proof Against Poison; Runehammer +5***, , Mace***; (Dragon – Watcher’s keep)(Cleric Aggressive)(3); (HLAs: WWA, EBs, GWWA, SoV, DBw, ES, GDB, GoB)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/32); (HP 114); Sylvan Chain +2 w/Dusty Rose Ioun Stone, Tzu-Zan’s Bracers, Ring of Anti-venom, Ring of Improved Invisibility & Boots of Speed w/Taralash +4* & Staff of the Ram +4*, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*, Crossbow*), Wand of Spell Striking; (Elite Fire Giant), (Ranged, Thief Adventurer, Thief Scout)(5); (HLAs: DgrS, Evn, SExTp, SAdTp, SSTp, SoCh, UAI, Asn, AvDth, Alch. CrpgSk)
    • Sarah: Ranger (Beast master/25); HP 127; Armor of the Night +4, Helm of Loyalty, Montolio’s Cloak, (Buckler +3); Firetooth +4, Slg +1, Clb (Il-Khan Battle Mage), (Rgr Rgd)(6); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DB, GDB, MR, PAtk, CrSk)
    • Valygar: Paladin (Samurai/21); HP 121 w/Corthala Family Armor; Helm of Charm Protection, Girdle of Bluntness w/katana +3 ***** Corthala Family Blade***** (THWS***) & Ring of Animal Friendhip

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Losing Sarah - the companion you've been with for so much time - at such a late stage in the game can be very sad. But Gawain is still alive and this is the main thing!
    lolien
  • Being the ‘sixth man’ in my retinue is a cursed position to be sure, or so my history attests. Sarah fell just days ago & now, Valygar is lost to me. The list goes on: Nalia, Tyris, Amber, Jan, Aerie… As much enemy blood as I have on my hands, it’s the blood of those who walked w/me, served me, ate & laughed w/me & fought @ my side…it is those people that stay w/me. Even worse, now I I’ve become so used to loss that I am numb to its affects & just move on b/c I have to. I remember how painful it was to lose Nalia, then Tyris, & finally Amber, women I might have loved. & this does not even consider the others, maybe not the ‘sixth man’ but still part of me: Minsc, murdered by a Vampiress in Brynnlaw, Dynahier, Jaheira, Khalid, Kivan, Coran…always walking beside me when they died. Solar & the visions I see when I am in her presence, resonate w/such awful truth. It is not just evil that falls in my wake…it is those I would call friends, even those I would love. It’s now well over two years since I walked out of Candlekeep w/Gorion, the first to die @ my side & I fear today that even more are to fall. I feel evil & death all around me, as if I am sentenced, doomed to this life forever. As much as I wish I could say I was fighting for goodness & justice, this evidence argues otherwise.

I assaulted Sendai w/prejudice. I am angry & I am not waiting for an enemy to get a leg up on me. Sendai is an enemy & I am taking it to her w/o waiting on any trickery. And so, when I first encountered a Woodcutter outside a cabin in the area marked on my map as her enclave, I attacked when Keldorn used his Detect Evil & found the Woodcutter to be evil. I was not waiting around for an ambush, & despite my efforts, I found us ambushed anyway. In a pitched battle we ended up battling & defeating a Drow Warrior (7.5k), five Drow Warrior’s (6k) & two Drow Wizards (6k).

I returned to the Pocket Plane & selected the Tiefling Haer’dalis to travel w/me from the offering of the Fate Spirit. Aside from him, the only one offered was the Drow Priestess I saved, once near the Bandit Camp & then, again, in the Government District. She’s evil through & through & cannot travel w/me regardless so, I need the help though & Haer’dalis is it. I returned us to the scene of the previous battle w/the Drow & we defeated another Drow warrior (7k) & two lesser Drow warriors (6k). We found a tunnel that likely led to Sendai’s Lair but wanted to finish looking around outside for her guards first. Good thing as we ended up battling a Hive Mother (50k), two Elder Umber Hulks (18k, two more Drow Warriors (7k), a Drow Wizard (6k), two more Drow Warriors (6k), two Drow (5k). Not much in the way of treasure though. Next it was on to the tunnel into the lair.

The attack on her cave complex started w/a battle versus two Umber Hulks, a Myconid Kind, three Spore Colonies & 20 Myconids. We pulled back after that b/c those things (Myconids) can make you lose your marbles & we all had a little of that goin’ on so a rest & some fresh air was in order before we took the battle to five Mutated Spiders, eight Umber Hulks, three Sword Spiders & a Wraith Spider. Feeling much too confident, I had us press on & we were able to take down a dual-axe wielding Drow (Theltnn’ss), a Drow Priestess, 11 Drow (5k), Drow (4.5k) & two Skeletons who were summoned into the action. Another return to Amkethran for rest & recuperation was followed by a huge battle in which we had to fight our way through two Umber Hulk Elders (18k), 44 Derro Berserkers, a Slave Master (12k), an Umber Hulk (4k), & 20 Orogs (1.2k) (Anomen Ftr/18//Cl/19), (Auren Ftr/28) (Gawain/Ftr/32) (Haer’dalis Bard/Blade/31).

Just like a Drow to have a massive spider nest, our next fight was against a Spider Queen (Lashar’ra - 18.7k), 20 Mutated Spiders, eight Sword Spiders & three Phase Spiders (Imoen Thf/34). Once again, feeling far too confident, I had my party remain behind while I waded into an unknown area to fight on my own now. Near the end of the battle I called for them but I crushed most of them alone for ¾ of the fight. We ended up defeating a Drow Priestess, Drow Wizard, Ten Drow (5k) & two Drow (4.5k). I had us rest afterward & regain our strength for another push on Sendai thru five Umber Hulk Elders, five Drow & two Umber Hulks.

TAKING ON THE HORDE SOLO

I was up next against a Lich next (& didn’t try to fight him alone). We hammered him (Odamaron) & a Cornogun he summoned up. As w/many battles, I lost Imoen, Anomen & Haer’dalis to unconsciousness in this battle. After reviving them enough to get back to Amkethran, we rested & healed for another assault. I guess Anomen won’t be summoning Ogremoth, Prince of the Earth because Sendai’s assistant Diaytha pitted us against him & two Greater Earth Elementals. Next up was Diaytha herself, a Demon Knight & a Nabassu, When we first broke thru the Nabassu was in a pitched battle w/a Hive Mother so we let them have @ each other. The Nabassu won that clash, then came looking for us. Not good for it. We rested out near the Woodsman’s Cottage before returning to defeat Sendai’s Captain of the Guard (Egeissag), a Vampiric Ulitharid & three Ulitharid. Back to the Woodcutter’s Cabin & then I headed thru the door, finally, that led to Sendai.

FINISHING THE LICH

FINISHING A DUAL W/SENDAI'S CAPTAIN OF THE GUARD

Key Event: My battle w/Sendai literally took hours. After everything we had to wade thru just to get to her, I’d have been surprised @ anything less. When she was dead & I was thrust into the Pocket Plane to learn more about what has been arrayed against me, the only other companion standing by my side was Auren. Everyone else had fallen unconscious from their wounds. Normally Auren falls early b/c she is so much quicker than the rest of us & fears nothing but this time I kept my group close @ hand. Before I ever got to fight the real Sendai I had to defeat seven statues of her, all w/different powers, & probably 8-10 Drow (I didn’t wait to draft a battle report afterward). As always, we had our most difficulty & had to be extremely careful w/Magic Users, regardless or whether they are Cleric or Wizard, but especially the latter. You know, normally I like to lay out a blow by blow account but it wasn’t like that. It was really about Auren & I surviving Sendai’s attacks long enough to finally break through, first w/un-enchanted weapons, then w/our very enchanted weapons. Still, she took powerful blow after blow from both Auren & I. Auren & I relied heavily on our HLAs, especially Magic Resistance & Hardiness. But lest I lead my reader to think our other companions weren’t key to victory. Keldorn fell in this battle rather quickly but still helped eliminate some pesky Driow & the first Sendai Statue. Both Anomen & Imoen pelted enemy’s w/spells breaking them down with: Earthquake, Energy Blades, Summon Deva, Elemental Summoning, Horrid Wilting, Finger of Death, Maze, Summon Hakesheer, Breach to name a few. In addition, Imoen protected me w/Protection from Magic & Anomen showered us all w/an early Chant. Haer-dalis doesn’t really fit in w/this group but he fights hard w/his set of skills. After the battle, I neglected to retrieve his gear so all was lost by the time we returned as a group again.

AND THE HITS KEEP COMING!

THEY ALWAYS SAY STUFF LIKE THIS!

SOLAR GUIDING ME TO MORE TRUTH (& MORE DESTRUCTION)

ELMINSTER LENDS A HAND OF SORTS

My return to Amkethran was not surprising as I’d learned in the Pocket Plane that Balthazar is One of the Five. I’ve seen Melisan too but she was captured by Balthazar so I’m not sure her role in all of this but it appears she’s not a Bhaal Spawn. When I returned to Amkethran I was attacked by Balthazar’s Mercenaries & Monks. We ended up defeating Balthazars’ Guard Captain, the Mercenary Guard Captain, 14 Mercenaries (11k), 28 Monks (10k), seven Mercenaries (8k), one Mercenary (kk) & two Mercenaries (1k). The village is cleared of his Mercenaries & Monks.

LAST OF BALTHAZAR'S MONKS & MERCENARIES

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 17,820) Armor: Darksteel Shield +4 (Gawain), Weapons: Jewelry/Gold: Potions: Twenty-Five Superior Healing, five Invulnerability; Scrolls: Wands: Cursing; Misc & Artifacts:

Current Disposition: We’re in the Amkethran Inn. I don’t think Balthazar is sending any of his Monks or Mercenaries after us now – he needs them @ the Monastery – but just in case, we’re using two watchers each sleep shift.

Next Steps: Balthazar’s Monastery

Level Up:

• Anomen: Helm continues to bless Anomen w/greater power as he has been raised to the position of Fighter/17//Highwatcher of Helm/19. He selected Summon Deva as his newest HLA. I realized a short time later that he was deserving another promotion as a knight & Lord so now he’s (Ftr/18/Cl/19) & he selected the HLA Magic Resistance.
    • Auren: I’ve had the privilege of traveling beside this brave woman for so many months now. It is an honor to promote her yet again to Apprentice/28-29 (Fighter/28-29). She continues to prefer the title apprentice although there is no one in the realms that could apprentice her when it comes to dual-wielding swordsmanship. She selected the HLA Critical Strike.
    • Gawain: I feel I continue to improve & estimate that I’m a Fighter/Lord//34. I selected a 2nd Magic Resistance HLA
    • Haer’dalis: He’s a different kinda bird, really! But he gets in there & brawls w/his swords. He’s improved to Bard/Blade//31-32 since he joined me & he added the HLAs Alchemy & to his abilities
    • Imoen: The Greatest Rogue in the realm. I like that. I remember when she used to call herself little names like, ‘Imoen the Quick’ & giggle. She still giggles but she doesn’t have to make up names for herself anymore. She’s now a Thief/Charming Rogue//35 & selected her 2nd Spike Trap & 2nd Exploding Trap HLAs
    • Keldorn: At the front of every fight, the noblest & most courageous of Paladins, I’ve given yet another brevet promotion to Keldorn, raising him to Inquisitor/26 (Paladin/26). He selected the HLA Summon Deva

• Gawain: Ftr/34 (HP 183); Shuruppak’s Plate w/ Helm of Balduran w/Darksteel Shield +4, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Amulet of Seldarine; Crom Faeyr*****, Axe of the Unyielding +5 (Cespenar) &, Bastard Sword +3*****, Bastard Sword***** (Bodhi)(1); (HLAs: WWAtk, GWWAtk x2, DBw, GDBw, MgRs x2, CrSk, PAtk, Smite, Hdns)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/26); HP 125; White Dragon Scale Armorb& w/Helm of Brilliance, Paladins Bracers, Girdle of Fire Giant Strength; Kaligun’s Amulet of Magic Resistance & Ring of Fire resistance (Sentinal +4); Ravager +4**, Morning Star Ice Star +4**; (Chromatic Demon)(Spellcaster Attack); (2); (HLAs: WWAtk, GWWAtk, DBw, GDBw, MgRs, PAtk, CrStk)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//29), (HP 128); Grand Masters Armor +6 w/Helm of Command & Girdle of Stone Giant Strength; The Answerer +4*****, Yamato +4**, Long Sword*****, (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Saladrax) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(4); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDBw MgRs,PAtk, CS)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//18/19, (HP 74); Blue Dragon Plate; w/Shield of the Order +4, & Helm of Defense, Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, Periapt of Proof Against Poison; Runehammer +5***, , Mace***; (Dragon – Watcher’s keep)(Cleric Aggressive)(3); (HLAs: WWA, EBs, GWWA, SoV, DBw, ES, GDB, GoB, SumDeva, MR)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/35); (HP 118); Sylvan Chain +2 w/Dusty Rose Ioun Stone, Tzu-Zan’s Bracers, Ring of Anti-venom, Ring of Improved Invisibility & Boots of Speed w/Taralash +4* & Staff of the Ram +4*, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*, Crossbow*), Wand of Spell Striking; (Olhydra), (Ranged, Thief Adventurer, Thief Scout)(5); (HLAs: DgrS, Evn, SExTp, SAdTp, SSTp, SoCh, UAI, Asn, AvDth, Alch. CrpgSk)
    • Valygar: Paladin (Samurai/21); HP 121 w/Corthala Family Armor; Helm of Charm Protection, Girdle of Bluntness w/katana +3 ***** Corthala Family Blade***** (THWS***) & Ring of Animal Friendhip
    • Haer’dalis: Bard/Blade//32 (HP 84); Elven Chain +1 & Firetooth +4 & Ring of Animal Friendship (Wizard Aggressive)(6); (HLAs Avd Dth, Enth Mdy, MChm, ResWpn, Sdbr, SdBrt, OffSn, DefSn, WpnDis, Alch, MgcFlt)

JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHGoturallolien
    edited November 2015
    So it was Melissan all along. She’s been playing all of the Bhaal Spawn off against each other & sucking up Bhaal’s essence each time one of us died. It appears she was Bhaal’s highest priestess… a real bad girl…she even double crossed Bhaal himself & had no intention of resurrecting him but wanted to become a deity in her own right. I know all that now as I prepare to battle her b/c it’s been revealed to me by her own mouth via Solar.

Key Event: I went next, using the key I got off of the Guard Captain outside of the Monastery, to visit Balthazar. I expected to have to storm the Monastery but, instead, I walked right up to him & he was waiting for me. He told me that he was also a Bhaal Spawn & that once he destroyed me, he himself would commit ritual suicide. The only problem w/his plan was that he was a waif. When he attacked, I was ready to hunker down for the long haul…instead as I prepared to pull us back to assess the situation, I suddenly realized he was already injured from his own fireball/fire attack, whatever it was. Instead, I pulled us up & decided to test his metal. He had none. We hammered him mercilessly & he died w/whimper. Very anti-climactic after the protracted battles we had w/Abazigal & Sendai.

BALTHAZAR THE PANTYWASTE

MELISSAN SPILLS THE BEANS

I already relayed what I learned from Solar. As she departed I was left to face two more trials in the Pocket Plane. During the first, I met face to face w/Cyric’s avatar that appeared to me as a slim, human male w/blazing dark eyes & chalk white skin. His voice dripped w/sarcasm as he ‘felt me out’ to determine my intentions. He appeared fearful of Ao, the Overlord, & thus wouldn’t meddle in the unfolding drama of my life but still felt free to ‘test my strength’ by unleashing three powerful assassin’s against us. Once again, I’ve lost my ‘sixth man.’ Haer’dalis succumbed to a brutal attack before we could get to him. He fought bravely & died a hero to those who wish to live, work, worship & enjoy life in Faerun.

A CONVERSATION WITH CYRIC

DESTROYING THE RAVAGER

From there, I dealt w/the Ravager once & for all. It took all five us everything we had to beat him into the dirt.

Some Treasure of Note: (Purse = 216,002) Armor: Weapons: Jewelry/Gold: Potions: Three Invulnerability; Scrolls: Wands: Misc & Artifacts:

Current Disposition: Resting in the Pocket Plane

Next Steps: Destroy the Pocket Plane & defeat Melissan

Level Up:

• Anomen: Anomen obviously continues to please Helm. He’s been raised up to High Watcher of Helm (Cleric)/20 & I, in turn, a short time later promoted him under the authority given me by Sir Robin Trawl on behalf of the Order to Lord (Fighter)/18 & he selected the HLAs Implosion & Aura of Flaming Death.
    • Auren: It seems there’s no limit to Auren’s abilities w/a Long Sword or Katana. I promoted her after the battle w/the Chosen of Cyric to Apprentice (Fighter)/30 & she selected a 2nd Hardiness HLA
    • Imoen: I say no more. She is FANTASTIC as a Rogue & has risen to Charming Rogue (Thief)/36 & she selected the HLA Crippling Strike for a 2nd time

• Gawain: Ftr/34 (HP 183); Shuruppak’s Plate w/ Helm of Balduran w/Darksteel Shield +4, Ring of Fire Control & Belt of Inertial Barrier, Cloak of Reflection & Amulet of Seldarine; Crom Faeyr*****, Axe of the Unyielding +5 (Cespenar) &, Bastard Sword +3*****, Bastard Sword***** (Bodhi)(1); (HLAs: WWAtk, GWWAtk x2, DBw, GDBw, MgRs x2, CrSk, PAtk, Smite, Hdns)
    • Keldorn: Paladin (Inquisitor/27); HP 128; White Dragon Scale Armorb& w/Helm of Brilliance, Paladins Bracers, Girdle of Fire Giant Strength; Kaligun’s Amulet of Magic Resistance & Ring of Fire resistance (Sentinal +4); Ravager +4**, Morning Star Ice Star +4**; (Chromatic Demon)(Spellcaster Attack); (2); (HLAs: WWAtk, GWWAtk, DBw, GDBw, MgRs, PAtk, CrStk)
    • Auren Aseph: Ftr (Apprentice//30), (HP 131); Grand Masters Armor +6 w/Helm of Command & Girdle of Stone Giant Strength; The Answerer +4*****, Yamato +4**, Long Sword*****, (SWS**; Ring of Fire Resistance; (Saladrax) (SCS Ease of Use, Setting 1)(4); (HLAs: WWA, GWWA, DBw, GDBw MgRs,PAtk, CS, Hdns x2)
    • Anomen: Ftr/Watcher of Helm//18/20, (HP 75); Blue Dragon Plate; w/Shield of the Order +4, & Helm of Defense, Girdle of Hill Giant Strength, Periapt of Proof Against Poison; Runehammer +5***, , Mace***; (Dragon – Watcher’s keep)(Cleric Aggressive)(3); (HLAs: WWA, EBs, GWWA, SoV, DBw, ES, GDB, GoB, SumDeva, MR, Ipsn)
    • Imoen: Thief (Charming Rogue/36); (HP 120); Sylvan Chain +2 w/Dusty Rose Ioun Stone, Tzu-Zan’s Bracers, Ring of Anti-venom, Ring of Improved Invisibility & Boots of Speed w/Taralash +4* & Staff of the Ram +4*, (Dagger*, Short Sword*, Club*, Katana*, Scimitar*, Crossbow*), Wand of Spell Striking; (Olhydra), (Ranged, Thief Adventurer, Thief Scout)(5); (HLAs: DgrS, Evn, SExTp, SAdTp, SSTp, SoCh, UAI, Asn x2, AvDth, Alch. CrpgSk)

• ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    Very impressive! A hearty congratulations!
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Congratulations! Well done!
    JuliusBorisovGoturallolien
    edited December 2015
    Nothing to see here folks. :smiley:
    lolien
    edited February 2016