Skip to content

I'd like to raise awareness for the BWS tool, and the EET mod

A topic was recently created on the forums about the BWS (Big World Setup)

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44476/tool-big-world-setup-bws-mod-manager-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-trilogy-for-windows#latest

I have been following the BWS on and off for years, and my personal experience with this wonderful tool has been amazing. I cannot recommend it enough. Especially for people like me who are not incredibly mod-savvy, but still want to experience the wonderful mods that have been created for the Infinity Engine games.

The above link provides information regarding both the BWS and the upcoming EET ("Enhanced Edition Trilogy") mod.

Further information on the EET mod can be found here:

https://github.com/K4thos/EET

And another in-depth discussion can be found here on the SHS forums, which I strongly encourage those who are interested to check out.

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/57967-bgt-and-the-enhanced-edition-releases/page-3#entry582002

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that would be incredibly interested in playing through BG1EE, SoD, IWDEE, and BG2EE (AND possibly even The Black Pits and SOME IWD2 content) as one seamless game, as well as having the ability to easily custom select the additional mods you want with a tool like the BWS automatically handling things like compatibility issues, install order, and even the downloading, extraction, and installation of your own personal mod setup for you.

This project has come a very long way and the future of it is looking even brighter than ever. As far as my understanding goes, (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) the devs at Beamdog have been very helpful and supportive in unofficially assisting the creator(s) of the EET mod to the extent that it should be fully compatible with and ready to launch at the release of SoD and the 1.4 patches for BG1EE and BG2EE.

Just wanted to put that out there. Peace.
JuliusBorisovCahirBillyYankronaldoAbelArdulCrevsDaakswit

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @subtledoctor I imagine EET is WeiDu-based like any other mod so it should work on other platforms, but to be sure I'll tag @swit.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

BWS, EEKeeper = stuck in the past

Not being cross-platform does not mean "stuck in the past." Inconvenient, certainly.

I'm on Linux, by the way, it's my primary operating system for everyday use. I only use Windows for gaming, testing, and some programming. So I fully sympathise with things not being cross-platform. The problem with Keeper—which is the same problem with DLTCEP—is that it relies heavily on MFC.

On a slightly more positive note: I have made some headway with a Qt version over the last few months, so there's that. :-)

Maybe I can get something finished by the new year.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Well, knowing @swit it will be WeiDu based:) And he's already trying to made it compatible with as many mods as possible.
  • Ser_ElrykSer_Elryk Member Posts: 72
    If it is Windows only, then let me rephrase that I'd like to raise awareness for Windows users. I didn't think about the other platforms since I'm primarily on Windows myself. Pardon if I offended anyone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Ser_Elryk
  • Ser_ElrykSer_Elryk Member Posts: 72
    Ah, gotcha. Well I definitely also agree that the awesomeness of the Infinity Engine game mods should be available to as many people as possible! =D
  • switswit Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 495
    edited November 2015
    @Ser_Elryk, thanks for the topic.

@subtledoctor, all mods on my GitHub aims to be compatible with both Windows and Mac. In EET case Mac code is handled by @CrevsDaak. Can't say about linux support becouse I don't know anyone using this system for gaming, so can't test the installation. Ideally, when the mod gets released someone will be interested in making a code contribution directly on GitHub for linux operating system.

And of course it's weidu based.
    Post edited by swit on
    Ser_ElrykJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    edited November 2015

But, BG2EE has this bug and there is no TobEx to rescue us. I've reported the bug to Beamdog but was told that it may not be fixed. Are you aware of this? Is there a plan for EET to deal with it? (Other than the honor system, which is really not fun...)

I'm aware and hoping for Beamdog to fix the engine. If someone else will do this via exe hacking than such fix will be implemented.

A further question for @swit
    I haven't had any free time to test current builds of EET, but is this going to be an issue? Is there a plan to deal with it? Is Generalized Biffing going to come back and work with EET?

Generalized Biffing doesn't need to come back. It always worked with EE games. EET installer biffs only graphic resources and sounds. Rest of files are often modified by other mods, so it's not a good idea to biff everything during installation. Didn't have any slowdawns caused by these files yet on my PC.

Not sure about android devices. If they can read biffed archives than just use Generalized Biffing at the end if Override size becomes a problem there.
    edited November 2015
    @subtledoctor, theoretically it could. Before patch 1.3 for BG2:EE which implemented most IWD:EE features, I've even briefly used IWD:EE exe file instead of BG2:EE one (I needed that sweet random tables and area/animation INI functionality). I'm keeping the code that exports GUI and some other stuff (without all required files the game crashes to desktop) in case one of engine iterations will far exceed BG2:EE functionality wise in future. It would be even easier if Beamdog would unhardcode strings like GemRB did (via STRINGS.2DA and EFFTEXT.2DA)
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    I have to be honest. I don't like the idea of EET at the moment due to the approaching Siege of Dragonspear. Are they aware they have to make changes to that? Another thing..and I'm not software savy about this part, but wouldn't mods work better separately rather than all being crammed up into 4 games?
    edited November 2015
    @Kaliesto, of course, we are aware. That (and lack of 1.4 patch, which is needed) is why there is no official release for the mod. No point doing it without full SoD implementation. I suggest at least reading the main page on GitHub to have an idea what are the goals of the project, as it differs from BGT.
    Kaliesto said:

Another thing..and I'm not software savy about this part, but wouldn't mods work better separately rather than all being crammed up into 4 games?

The goal is not to have separate campaigns. Finishing BG1 for example won't be different than finishing any other chapter in the game. The aim here is to make this a seamless experience that feels like 1 game. When it comes to mods it actually opens up more possibilities than separate games.

If you are talking about compatibility you can find more information in the readme and documentation. In short:
    - BG:EE mods are installed on BG:EE previous to installing EET on BG2:EE. Authors don't need to change anything to make them work as they are treated just like vanilla files.
    - same as above for the IWD-in-EET mod and IWD:EE only mods installed with it (notice that IWD-in-EET is not part of EET package but separate mod for those interested in integrating this additional content with the main game)
    - BG2:EE mods can be updated to be compatible automatically via pre-made tools created to handle this task. Many of them works as it is without any updates.

I'm also offering code contribution to any mod that is meant to affect both BG:EE and BG2:EE content at the same time. So, I'm rather optimistic when it comes to mod compatibility adoption post release, but we will see. With Big World Setup you will have an updated list what is compatible.
    Post edited by swit on
    JuliusBorisov
    edited November 2015
    @subtledoctor, exactly. This part of previous post:
    swit said:

I'm also offering code contribution to any mod that is meant to affect both BG:EE and BG2:EE content at the same time.

was referring to existing mods that does it for the whole game, not just BG:EE or BG2:EE content. Next version of BG2 Tweaks (v17) will have native support officially, same for IR and SR mods, RR and aTweaks betas available on SHS already have native support for EET. I've also finished updating SCS but waiting for reply from the author if he is interested in implementing it. Not much left to be honest when it comes to mods designed with a whole game in mind (I'm not counting kit mods here because they don't need anything changed other than including ~eet~ in GAME_IS argument, if it's used). You've mentioned that your mod belongs to this category, so feel free to send me it, if you would like to add native support but don't want to spend time reading EET documentation. Also take a look at compatibility list within readme to see which kind of mods are menat to be installed on BG:EE previous to installing EET on BG2:EE. Of course with Big World Setup player won't have to worry what to install and where, as it will handle the whole installation.
    Post edited by swit on
    JuliusBorisovArdul
    edited November 2015

(Dealing with all the versions of Imoen and Viconia CRE files is already a huge headache... unless EET follows BGT in how it deals with them, that headache is going to get worse.)

The easiest way to handle changes in BG1 resources names is using so called "cmpvars" (platform specific variable libraries) - google it. EET_modConverter tool available in EET package can automatically convert your mod to use them if you like. Same tool can be used to convert existing BG2:EE mods to use EET Chapters system without breaking compatibility with other platforms. Overall don't worry about it. Making it compatible with EET won't be a problem.

What about strings? Does EET use the BG2 string references for stuff like kit descriptions, proficiency descriptions, etc?

BG2 strings. Only stuff that doesn't exist in BG2:EE is imported from BG:EE.
    Post edited by swit on