Skip to content

Fallout 1+2: Enhanced Edition

AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
@TrentOster has mentioned earlier that he is also interested in enhancing Fallout 1 & 2.

As we all know currently players are interested in multiplayer features, as it is more interesting to interact with humans. There is a great MMORPG project that exists since 2009 - “FOnline: 2238”.
FOnline: 2238 is a Fallout game based on the FOnline engine that is developed and run by the developer group "Cvet & Rotators". It includes both the Fallout and Fallout 2 game areas.

I do believe that a lot of Fallout fans would gladly play multiplayer version of Fallout on PC\Mac\Android\iOS rather than just overhauled original fallout games. Thus I ask Beamdog to consider idea of cooperating with this independent devs and create really Great Game, that would support desktop and mobile platforms and allow all Fallout fans to step into the Waste from all devices.
I think a lot of us will gladly pay monthly subscription fee for such experience.

P.S. Kickstarter for initial funding perhaps?

P.P.S. This project allowed to live by Betheda as it is non-profit. However “it is possible to build new games with the FOnline engine, which are 100% independent from all Fallout content [currently you need master.dat and critter.dat from Fallout 2]. Thanks to this, it is also possible to use the engine for commercial projects”.

FOnline Devs:
Anton “Cvet” Cvetinsky (engine creator)
Grzegorz "Atom" Jagiella
Markus "Ghosthack" Öberg
Stefan "Lexx" Keßner
Slaven "Lisac2k" Ostojic
Bartosz "scypior" Przygoda
Ben "SlimCharles" Jenkins
Tom "Solar" Jones
Post edited by Coriander on
Buttercheese

Comments

• NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    He also said that the Fallout EE is already an active IP so no for Overhaul. Hope I´m right on this one;)
  • William_ImmWilliam_Imm Member Posts: 72
    While that would be awesome, as Trent said, the legal stuff has to settle first.

Would like to see an actual version of the Van Buren Fallout 3 (ie - the non-Bethsedia version) however.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    It doesn't have to be Fallout, any post-apocalyptic wasteland of mad max with or without zombies would do.
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    @smeagolheart In that case why not just wait for Wasteland 2?
    http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/
    smeagolheart
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @smeagolheart In that case why not just wait for Wasteland 2?
    http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/
    And that's what I'm doing. Non-FPS RPG FTW!

• gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Wasteland 2, can't wait to see the sequel of the spiritual predecessor or Fallout
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Wasteland 2, can't wait to see the sequel of the spiritual predecessor or Fallout
    If one is seeking for the single-player expirience - agreed. Wasteland 2 is the one that we all waiting for.
    But it you are looking for multiplayer expirience I would suggest you to try FOnline: 2238.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    An Ehnanced version of FO 1,2 and Tactics would be neat.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Wow. Resurrecto.....

For me personally (and in response to the comments from 2012, I would NOT play an MMO. I don't think that " it is more interesting to interact with humans. " Not that I am an anti-social person, I just don't want to play a game where I am not 'The hero', but merely one of ten thousand.
    SmilingSwordShapiroKeatsDarkMageSkatan
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    the_spyderSkatan
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I would like to try FO1 and 2 on MP, but not MMO. It would be amazing to stop having to haul around the semi-retarded NPC's of FO2 and the fully insane NPC's of FO1 and instead just play together with a few friends (though I doubt I have any RL friends who would like to play FO2 with me though, haha).
    [Deleted User]
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766

sued into oblivion

I see what you did there ;)

But yeah, I'd love to see FO:EE, the series always went kinda past me, so this would be ideal for me to get into it.
    SouthpawShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    If possible want to see fallout 1 and 2s all dialogues are voice acted like fallout 3 did.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • marcellusmarcellus Member Posts: 22
    This is such a good idea. You'd basically be printing money.
    Teflon
    And maybe also make Van Buren with a different title and the help of Chris Avellone. Don't get me wrong, i've enjoyed FO3 for what it was, but i agree its deeply flawed from a RPG point of view compared to the first two games and New Vegas.
    Teflon
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2015
    Teflon said:

If possible want to see fallout 1 and 2s all dialogues are voice acted like fallout 3 did.

Safe bet to say that even if someone looks into an enhanced edition for the fallout games voice acting all the previous lines is not something that is going to happen. It would be extremely cost prohibitive to do so.
    the_spyderAwong124Teflon
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    unless we just used ourselves as voice actors of course, that probably would annoy any unions...?
    ButtercheeseTeflonelminster[Deleted User]
    Come on @SethDavis. You know you want to do some VO for us all.
    SethDavisButtercheeseShapiroKeatsDarkMage[Deleted User]
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited December 2015
    It can't possibly be worse than the German dub of BG1, so go for it :P
    Post edited by Buttercheese on
    Teflon[Deleted User]

It can't possibly be worth than the German dub of BG1, so go for it :P

The VO actor who did the final sequence for one of the games (I can't remember which one at the moment) was actually sick on the day he was supposed to do the final monologue. Poor guy, he got so much flack on the internet when the game came out because the performance was NOT spectacular.

PS, even if you know which game that was please don't mention it here. I do not wish to be the start of that whole nastiness all over again.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    SethDavis said:

unless we just used ourselves as voice actors of course, that probably would annoy any unions...?

Some people have a voice that works well in front of a microphone. I am not one of them :)
    the_spyder
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486

IIRC they wanted to catch those unique dialects used in the original version, alas German dialects are not very fantasy like.

And no voice over is always better then a non-professional voice over!
    You need good recording equipment for starters, and ofc a good voice.

+ when you ask around NMA (biggest Fallout community), most of the people would be apposed to the idea. So your missing your target audience.
    I prefer the way it is, no VO for the protagonist and voiced lines for NPC's in dialogues. The only thing lacking is the voiced banter which BG has, but I can live without it.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    I don't think Beamdog could do a lot to improve on Fallout or Fallout 2.
    It's odd that the modding community of FO1 and 2 are soo crappy compared to BG1 and 2, considering how long the game has existed and the rather large and active fan-base.

I recently reinstalled FO2 for yet another run and this time I was gonna mod it, but it's really difficult to find high quality mods except the restoration project and unofficial patches. So based on that, if an EE version would incorporate those mods, the high resolution mod and add a simple mod that fixes the AP ammo discrepancy, it may be enough to go to market with for the lazy s.o.b's who don't want to mod themselves. Especially if one would add a couple of high quality NPC's and some new weapons and armors and maybe an encounter or two.
    Yamcha said:

IIRC they wanted to catch those unique dialects used in the original version, alas German dialects are not very fantasy like.

And no voice over is always better then a non-professional voice over!
    You need good recording equipment for starters, and ofc a good voice.

+ when you ask around NMA (biggest Fallout community), most of the people would be apposed to the idea. So your missing your target audience.
    Well, NMA just love to complain in general.
    Schneidend
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    edited December 2015
    Best way to do an EE of Fallout 1 & 2 would be to remake their content in Fallout: New Vegas' construction kit. Y'know, so the gameplay isn't boring, unbalanced, or clunky-beyond-all-reason.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageTJ_Hooker

Best way to do an EE of Fallout 1 & 2 would be to remake their content in Fallout: New Vegas' construction kit. Y'know, so the gameplay isn't boring, unbalanced, or clunky-beyond-all-reason.

Would like to hear more about this. What do you mean?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    FNV isn't clunky?
    Musigny