Skip to content

the greatest retardation of ADD is the theif class.

Beemdog just proved it.

Comments

• GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    May I ask you to elaborate on this ?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Gotural: Judging by his post on the no-reload thread, I don't think Tymaker elaborates on things.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    perhaps he may be refering to the face-stabs enemies are imbued with.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited December 2015
    -double post-
    The front-facing backstabs enemies can pull off is an engine limitation dating back to vanilla; Beamdog wouldn't have been responsible.
  • TymakerTymaker Member Posts: 105
    I'm just talking about the class in general - I just require a rogue to open locks and disarm traps. I really liked how in ICW they incorporated 3rd adtion rules, crippling strike and sneak attack.

Trying to manage a 6 or 5 man party the theif class becomes much to of an oversight to try and utilize their backstap ability.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2015
    Thieves require a bit more work and creativity, but what they can do is limitless in ToB levels. HLA traps kill everything and they can use any item.

Even before HLAs, their regular traps, and thief skills make many challenges easier. With enough skill points, thieves can also loot trapped treasure chests and shopkeepers with ease, hence they WORK under the rules system. I see no redundancy in having a thief.

Jan is the single most useful party member in bg2 IMHO. He can steal scrolls, locks/traps are no problem for him, he can detect illusions limitlessly, has his special ammo that can come VERY handy if it does its trick, and on top of all that utility he can cast mage spells! Sure he is no Edwin but a better mage than Aerie, thanks to +1 spell/level for being illusionist. He also has saving throw bonuses for being a gnome, so a lot durable than Aerie, as well. Poison and ghoul/ghast attacks are his only weakness, as gnomes do not get save bonus against paralyse/poison/death.

So if you don't like the micro-management of a pure thief, a mage/thief or fighter/thief is a lot more powerful and versatile! Tweaked to perfection kensai/thieves are a terror to behold when backstabbing with kai, too. Like, 'I always do 90 damage when backstabbing. Without a critical.'
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited December 2015
    Tymaker said:

I'm just talking about the class in general - I just require a rogue to open locks and disarm traps. I really liked how in ICW they incorporated 3rd adtion rules, crippling strike and sneak attack.

Trying to manage a 6 or 5 man party the theif class becomes much to of an oversight to try and utilize their backstap ability.

If so, then Beamdog is not to blame here. Baldur's Gate was created by Bioware.

Also, take a note, that in IWDEE you actually can activate the sneak attacks, and with https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/37833/a-bunch-of-neat-baldur-ini-options-in-bg2ee-1-3-that-ive-noticed-carry-overs-from-iwdee#latest you can activate them in BG2EE. With the next patches you'll be able to do it easier in BG2EE and maybe in BGEE as well.

There're a lot of useful tips about using thieves here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/42958/how-do-you-play-your-thieves-in-combat
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    On top of what's been said, there's very few enemies in the game that can't be destroyed by a hasted thief backstabbing, running away to hide in shadows again, and repeating. And with Boots of Speed, you can do that all day.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited December 2015
    Enjoyed the unintentional irony present in the OP'S title... though I suppose in his/her defense, English is not his/her native language
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2015
    How Beamdog is responsible for the alleged shortcomings of the thief class? Sure, they made the Shadowdancer kit, but that was hardly the topic of this complaint.
    edited December 2015
    It's not Beamdog fault, I retract my early statement, I must had been drinking.

It really comes down to attack rate, like rogues, clerics, and druids should get an extra 1/2 attack at like level 9.

And good job on the Shadowdancer class.
    Post edited by Tymaker on
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Tymaker said:

It's not Beamdog fault, I retract my early statement, I must had been drinking.

It really comes down to attack rate, like rogues, clerics, and druids should get an extra 1/2 attack at like level 9.

And good job on the Shadowdancer class.

Swashbuckler
    Scarlet ninjato
    Belm

4 attacks per round

Assassin
    Poison weapon
    Darts

3 attacks per round of pure death

:)
    @Grum: And a lot less tanking ability and fewer skill points.
    Nice Grum, and I'm watching players use traps because I never bothered with them, and they work surprisingly well...
    edited December 2015
    Don't forget Improved Haste for 8 attacks per round with the Swashbuckler, or six for the poison weapon Assassin. Also, I pretty much never use traps simply because they make the game too easy. Think on that.
    I stand mistaken *bow*
    Tymaker said:

I stand mistaken *bow*

A lot of this game's replayability comes from seeing what you can do with class combinations you'd never considered before. Case in point: I recently finished a TOB runthrough with a Skald, which taught me two things:

1. The Skald's Bard Song is extremely powerful, unlike the vanilla bard.

2. Even non-Blade Bards are still quite credible in a fight. Stoneskin, Mirror Image, Improved Invisibility, and Improved Haste with a speed weapon and a strength item will give a good account of itself, fighter levels or not. :smiley:
    edited December 2015
    Very good thank-you.

I guess my main beef, by a drunken slur, I said, is tecnically, without any scouring enhancements, (I'm not putting any more comas in this sentence)

Is Rogues along with Clerics and druids should get an extra 1/2 attack in the game mechanics. But with so many peeps who say other wise my point becomes mute.
    Post edited by Tymaker on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Are you kidding? I think we should all adopt "the greatest retardation" as a term from now on. As in, "I think SoD is a great expansion overall, but some of the sidequests were the greatest retardation."
    edited December 2015
    The Greatest Retardation... OK, I admit I just liked the sound of it, and then forget what I was even trying to say, and then made something.

Sorry Beamdog :smiley:

lol but I will say not using a blunt weapon on a skeleton is very mildly retarded...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    My problem with the title is that it says "AD[&]D", not "BG" or "IE". The reason the thief doesn't measure up to the other classes is because it isn't really a combat class. A thief really shines outside of combat in a real PnP roleplaying game. The limitations of a computer game mean combat gets emphasized over RP, which diminishes the thief's usefulness. (Also, no climbing, no leaping across rooftops, no spying...)

Another consideration is, once you've played the game a few times, you know where everything is. When I played IWD for the first time, and now in my first playthrough of IWD2, my thief is out front all the time. But you don't need to scout when you already know what's around every corner, and trap finding just becomes: Move thief near the hidden trap, hit search, disarm trap.
    edited December 2015
    That really sums it up well. I'm currently playing a party of 4 in BG - human fighter beserker, dwarven priest of Lathander, gnome bounty hunter, and elven sorcer, so we'll see.

Cheers