Skip to content

Pillars of Eternity (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    edited January 2016
    procco said:

My only gripe with the game is that it is REALLY poorly optimized. My PC runs most games of this type fairly well, but PoE runs pretty poorly. Loading screens take forever!
    But, yeah. It's a fantastic game overall. I'm looking forward to the second expansion coming out so I can start a new, full play through.

I have the same issues, and my framerate is very low... I am gonna have to get a new computer to run it. The "funny" thing is, my computer was brand new, when POE was announced :open_mouth: (and Obsidian "lied" and said it would run on "old" machines ...)
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Cluas said:

procco said:

My only gripe with the game is that it is REALLY poorly optimized. My PC runs most games of this type fairly well, but PoE runs pretty poorly. Loading screens take forever!
    But, yeah. It's a fantastic game overall. I'm looking forward to the second expansion coming out so I can start a new, full play through.

I have the same issues, and my framerate is very low... I am gonna have to get a new computer to run it. The "funny" thing is, my computer was brand new, when POE was announced :open_mouth: (and Obsidian "lied" and said it would run on "old" machines ...)
    The load times are pretty long when you first boot up your game session. After that it's mostly just fine. It's isn't optimized well in that regard, I doubt a new computer will even help you. Sword Coast Legends has the same problem, but worse. Divinity: Original Sin cut it's load time by about 75% in the new Enhanced Edition.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Yeah D:OS and Wasteland 2 both run great went they optimized their games. Load times for both of those are lightning fast, and frame rates hold up pretty well. My laptop is not very powerful, but I should be able to run an IE style game without horrible frame rates.
    procco said:

Yeah D:OS and Wasteland 2 both run great went they optimized their games. Load times for both of those are lightning fast, and frame rates hold up pretty well. My laptop is not very powerful, but I should be able to run an IE style game without horrible frame rates.

Mine isn't a powerhouse either, I get about a minute load time when I fire up the game and then roughly 5 seconds for everything thereafter.

After that it's mostly just fine.

Well, not on my machine. I am sure a better one will help. But yeah optimization is bad, and Unity is not helping... (Good thing I don't play SCL or D:OS EE ... I tried but those games suck anyway
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    The load times are ridiculous in this game, my machine isn't a monster anymore, but it is by no means slow, waiting for up to a 1min or even 2mins to get into a area is something I only expect from Mordheim and that's because each level is procedurally generated.

My real grip with the game is the face models, the Elven faces in particular, why are they so ugly? I know they are small and hardly ever seen, but every time I do see them it annoys me greatly.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @SmilingSword
    So basically this game will take longer then it took for me to load DOS and that got up to five minutes before.

@SmilingSword
    So basically this game will take longer then it took for me to load DOS and that got up to five minutes before.

Have you tried the Enhanced Edition of Divinity? It's load times have vastly improved.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

For me, city areas can take a minute or more to load. I'm hoping the release of the second part of the expansion will come with a nice patch. :)

I've only found that it takes about 1 minute to load when you first start the game, then roughly 10-15 seconds afterwards when switching areas. Not that bad all things considered. It's not optimized perfectly, but compare it to Sword Coast Legends, which is nigh unplayable as far as I can tell right now. But yes, it would be nice if they did a Divinity: Original Sin optimization pass for sure.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    procco said:

@SmilingSword

Have you tried the Enhanced Edition of Divinity? It's load times have vastly improved.
    I have it installed... I start class in about 2 days, I don't need to lose my life to divinity original sins again

the Elven faces in particular, why are they so ugly?

You should have seen the elves in the beta :open_mouth:
    edited January 2016
    I finally plunked down the money for the expansions (went with the discounted two-fer). I'm still going to wait until the 3.0 patch and WM pt2 to finally get all the way through the game. Hopefully after the next patch Obsidian will stop messing around with all the systems and leave things where they are (aside from de-bugging, of course). I had to stop playing somewhere in Act III because so many things had changed I had no idea what was going on in combat anymore. Sounds like the 3.0 patch will have some good stuff in it.
    I did do a test run up through Gilded Vale last night. I have updated to Windows 10, and did some adjustments with my graphics card setting on my laptop. I was getting horrible frame rates even on lower graphics setting in PoE before, but now I have everything cranked to max and have barely any slowdowns. Of course, I haven't gotten to Defiance Bay yet, so we'll see how that goes. Load times are still pretty bad, but they do seem to have improved a little since I cleared out my save folder. So hopefully the performance end will hold up so I can not get quite as frustrated playing this game!
    P.s. For my test run I decided to try out the monk class. Man, she is steam rolling everything in the early game. Does the monk stay super powerful through the whole game?
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    So I did my original run with a Pale Elf Chanter. I think my re-run that also includes both expacs will be either an Orlan Chanter or a Nature God-like with the Orlan body type. I'm leaning towards the latter to capture the other-worldly fey type character that Piro is. I was thinking about doing another class but I really like the Chanter.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    These are welcome updates! Athletics and Survival really required a change but I like everything I saw in this video.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited February 2016

White March 2 is now out! :)

Tempted to download, but I promised I'd continue the Wigglebottom playthrough. :lol: And, besides, there'll be patches for PoE soon enough. ^_^

I've thought about restarting PoE with a new character. It's just such a long game -_-, I'll just continue with my current one. Plus, I can always create new characters for the party. :3

I'm downloading now, but won't get to play it until the weekend probably. From what I understand, the 3.0 patch is the final patch (other than bug fixes). I played a bit on the beta 3.0 and it's pretty solid from what I've played. Gameplay and combat has really evolved from the original release and feels good. I've been playing on hard, which is still not super difficult, at least not towards the beginning of the game.

I'm definitely excited to have a finished and well polished game after almost a year. Now we can see if it really holds up to the IE games.

Here's the change log:
    http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-190-update-notes-300/
    Quite a few changes and improvements from v2!
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I haven't played since release when I first beat it. I went to buy The White March II and realized I had bought the DLC pack-thing way back when. Derp. XD

Time to re-play this. I'll still play Champions of Krynn between classes but I'll play this when I'm at home.
    @typo_tilly it sounds like they are done changing stuff around. I was all the way into Act III when the first expansion hit and quit because there were so many changes...if they announce any further major changes after this I'll disable auto updating through Steam!!! I can't speak to the Linux version, but it does seem to run a good bit better on PC with the 3.0 beta. Load times still suck, but I think at this point there's no hope of improvement unless they port the whole thing over to Unity 5.
    @Vallmyr I also haven't played it with the resistances in effect. It should play like a whole new game now...in a good way, hopefully. I was steamrolling everything by the time I got to Act III (I completed the Endless Paths in Act II and my party wS wy over-leveled). They did implement optional high level scaling for creatures in the late parts of the game to avoid Act III being too easy.

Just watched a video of Josh Sawyer talking about some of the new higher level abilities while waiting for the patch and WM2 to download. I am pretty stoked for this game now. It may finally deliver on its promise. I'll give my thoughts in a few months after I fininish this sucker ;)
    As a side note, I have to say I really enjoyed the Endless Paths as a great dungeon crawling mega dungeon. My favorite part was revealing more of the hand drawn overview map. It's a really beautiful piece of art. I'd love to have a poster size print of that.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    So... 2-3 patches away from finally playing this game from start to end for the first time :smile:
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    I stopped playing this at the beginning of ACT 3 a long time ago due to not enjoying the game for various reasons. The new expansions have me interested anew - to those who have played both, is it worth picking them up and trying it out again? I know they nerfed the cipher which was my PC class, has anyone tried it out with the changes?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I installed Act II of the White March yesterday and had updated to the 3.00 version since late January. However, I decided to hold up to actually start any new playthrough. Mainly because I'm waiting until the IE Mod becomes compatible with that new expansion. That being said, I'm rather fond of the new Barbarian NPC's portrait:

[spoiler=don't click me]
    Her hair needle looks like an arrow through the head! :trollface:

[/spoiler]
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027