Skip to content

spell caps at level 20 and protecting against DM/RM

KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
I read something to the effect that all spells effects that are based on level cap at level 20. Does that apply to dispel magic as well. That is, any caster past level 20 has a 50/50 shot of pulling off DM/RM against any other post-level-20 caster?

Also, is there any way for a solo F/C to protect their buffs against DM/RM?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited January 2016
    I think Spell Immunity: Abjuration protects your buffs against Dispel Magic and Remove Magic. I don't know the answer to your first question, but if Dispel is capped at level 20, that would max an inquisitor's Dispel ability as soon as she reached level 10, which doesn't seem to be the case.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Spell Immunity:Abjuration protects you from DM/RM
    Besides that, DM and RM do not cap, however every other spell caps at level 20 (if not earlier in some cases, but it is specified in that case)
    For example a max level cleric (level40) uses flamestrike it'll deal only 20d8 (10d8 if saved) instead of 40d8 (20d8 if saved)
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    While a spell may not get stronger if cast higher than level 20, the actual level it was cast at is still stored in the effects for the purposes of Dispel Magic.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    A level 30 Chaotic Commands spell, for example, will last just as long as a level 20 Chaotic Commands spell, but will be much harder to dispel.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

A level 30 Chaotic Commands spell, for example, will last just as long as a level 20 Chaotic Commands spell, but will be much harder to dispel.

This.
    Spell effectiveness (damage, duration, range) that is depended on caster level is capped at lvl 20. Some spells have lower caps, like fireball and lihtninging capped at lvl 10.
    However high caster lvls rule supreme when it comes to dispelling. You can not dispel the spells of a lvl 25 enemy mage when you are a mere lvl 20, for example.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I find it that no matter what level your characters are, lich's and dragon's remove magic works without fail, kind of annoying when you are 9 levels higher than them
    @sarevok57: I've found the exact opposite. My cleric is over level 30 and she's only had her spells debuffed once in Throne of Bhaal.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @semiticgod but were they using remove magic? for example I was fighting abizigal in his dragon form and my swashbuckler was level 39 and when he used remove magic, it without fail on every attempt dispelled all my buffs, and I was thinking; um no? abizigal is only level 30 so how does it work without fail EVERY time? unless it goes by the caster and not the character, but even then my cleric was in the lower 30s, so he would still have to struggle a little bit to dispel it, not just dispel it with no sweat ( I think I tried this about 10 times and each time, everything was dispelled without a hitch)
    @sarevok57: Remove Magic, yes.

All scrolls and all potions are considered as cast by a level 10 caster, so some of your Swashbuckler's buffs should naturally go away very easily. As for your cleric, his or her spells should resist a Remove Magic by Abazigal about half the time. It is indeed the caster whose level determines the strength of the spell, not the target.

Incidentally, the "Dispel Effects" message appears even if Remove Magic dispels nothing.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

Incidentally, the "Dispel Effects" message appears even if Remove Magic dispels nothing.

Not confusing and counter-intuitive at all!

I was really hoping for the EE to fix that, I wonder if it's an engine limitation.