Skip to content

Sword Coast Legends. Is this the spiritual successor to NWN?

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Still waiting for Dragonborns to be featured.
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    @SmilingSword
    Is this game worth getting at 33% off or is this more of a 75% off kind of deal? Only interested in the single player aspect.
    The weak spot as I see it ... when I was playing it with a heavy armored melee oriented cleric at normal difficulty, I didn't spot anything throughout the entire game that would have made me want to play the game once more ... or differently. No incentive to skill differently either. Not in the skill trees, not in the linear story, not in the items I found.
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    brus said:
    This survey is not accepting additional responses at this time. Thank You!

Closed already? Did they even mail all registered SCL players? ... I don't think so.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    There probably was an overwhelmingly negative response.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    WEll, to be fair it is the "November 2015" survey. With it being December now, that may have something to do with the survey being closed?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

WEll, to be fair it is the "November 2015" survey. With it being December now, that may have something to do with the survey being closed?

This. Its a sign that its December :)

Also I was able to do the survey and to be honest you didn't miss much. I chose druid as a class and ended up being told I'm Belaphoss. So...yea.

<--- Still waiting for the 'Spiritual successor to NWN'!</p>

Yeah, that too.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847

<--- Still waiting for the 'Spiritual successor to NWN'!</p>

Amen to that.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    edited December 2015
    Hopefully SoD does much better in sales so WotC lets Beamdog make a real 5e D&D game next and we can all forget crap like SCL exists like we did with Demon Stone and some others.

Baldur's Gate 1 got me into tabletop D&D, so the incentive to make a good cRPG to get people to play table top D&D is real.
    Torin said:

Hopefully SoD does much better in sales so WotC lets Beamdog make a real 5e D&D game next and we can all forget crap like SCL exists like we did with Demon Stone and some others.

Baldur's Gate 1 got me into tabletop D&D, so the incentive to make a good cRPG to get people to play table top D&D is real.

That would be awesome. Sigh.
    I personally don't see why making a good solid RPG is such a hard target to hit these days. Either the focus is on graphics (and therefore the story and gameplay suck), or they dumb it down so that the actual ROLE Play is minimized, or they try to make something that plays like a skirmish style game and completely miss the point of the exercise. Why are they not taking points from games that actually worked and go from there?
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Come up with a game idea
    Invest gazillions into marketing
    Dumb down the game concept to make it appeal to a wider audience in order to pay for your marketing
    Publish shitty games
    ???
    Profit
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Sword Coast Legends is free to play this weekend on Steam.

So, for a limited time they are letting absolutely everyone experience the game for free. Maybe it's the best chance to see myself how this game feels.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Sweet, gonna try it! Thanks for the info :D
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    If the little Martian gives me time I'll try it too :)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Going to give it a try.

Then I can REALLY knock it!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2015
    Tried it on my machine... Wouldn't go full screen windowed mode only... Not convinced to buy even at a 50% discount. Uninstalled.
    edited December 2015
    Yeah, I got that, wouldn't let me turn on full screen mode. Annoying and weird. Anyone know anything about this? Appears to work fine on my clunky old machine otherwise.

Missing core classes (Bard, Druid, Monk, Barbarian, Sorcerer) and unDnDish skill trees makes a bad impression from the start. I would say there are sufficient races, at least enough to expand upon. Quite like the halfing models - better than NWN2.

I'm going to give it a bit longer though, if I can find time before my free trial expires. Off to see TFA now. Have been on a ship for three days.
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    edited January 2016
    It appears that some parts of CP3 are just going to be part of RoD DLC. Also, aside from Tieflings being the new race. The newest class is going to be Warlock. Oh, and no plundering Drizzt's swords it seems. Sorry guys. D:
    https://forums.swordcoast.com/index.php?/topic/10020-january-2016-scl-update-cp3-and-rage-of-demons/
    So wait, they release a "Community Pack" along with a bunch of stuff that the community created and then pat themselves on the back for it being "Free"?????? Um.... You guys (the development team) didn't do anything except package up other people's work. it had BETTER be free.

I considered checking this out when they had their 'Free' weekend last month. I am so glad that I didn't. Not that I can speak with definition as to the quality of the game itself, nor that other companies (or politicians for that matter) haven't taken credit for doing nothing at all. But this just seems like one 'Bait and switch' after another. "Spiritual successor to NWN" (Okay they may not have ACTUALLY said that anywhere, but it was heavily implied), when it is no such thing. Community made content being delivered as their own work. 5th E, only it isn't.

Sorry, rant ends... I shouldn't let this get me upset. I have more important things in my life to spend energy on, like my laundry.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

So wait, they release a "Community Pack" along with a bunch of stuff that the community created and then pat themselves on the back for it being "Free"?????? Um.... You guys (the development team) didn't do anything except package up other people's work. it had BETTER be free.

I considered checking this out when they had their 'Free' weekend last month. I am so glad that I didn't. Not that I can speak with definition as to the quality of the game itself, nor that other companies (or politicians for that matter) haven't taken credit for doing nothing at all. But this just seems like one 'Bait and switch' after another. "Spiritual successor to NWN" (Okay they may not have ACTUALLY said that anywhere, but it was heavily implied), when it is no such thing. Community made content being delivered as their own work. 5th E, only it isn't.

Sorry, rant ends... I shouldn't let this get me upset. I have more important things in my life to spend energy on, like my laundry.

It's....an ok game. It's a mixture of Dragon Age Origins/Neverwinter Nights/Diablo/Infinity Engine, wrapped up in a 5th E marketing campaign. I have no interest in anything outside the campaign really. It plays pretty nice, but it's horribly optimized (it's not alone in that though). Bad load times etc. I've said before, it's entirely mediocre, but they seem to realize they didn't deliver, and are trying to make amends. Originally Rage of Demons was supposed to just be free to those who pre-ordered, but now I think they are giving it away to everyone, as the taste of having anyone have to pay for it would be pretty bitter.

Sword Coast Legends isn't really the spiritual successor to anything. It's a decent Real-time pause/Action RPG that's a fun little romp. It doesn't have any original ideas and it's main selling point (being your own DM and running campaigns) has, from what I'm gathering, been a bit of a joke. I'm only speaking to the single-player experience however, and as such, it's a solid 6 out of 10. If you've never played a D&D CRPG before, this one should be way down on your list. If you're starved for some Forgotten Realms content....well, this is certainly better than Daggerdale....

It's....an ok game. It's a mixture of Dragon Age Origins/Neverwinter Nights/Diablo/Infinity Engine, wrapped up in a 5th E marketing campaign.

...Sword Coast Legends isn't really the spiritual successor to anything.

Either it is one or the other. It was certainly heavily implied that it was the spiritual successor to NWN. I want to say that in one of the early developer videos they actually used those words (hence this thread). So maybe they were shooting for spiritual successor (of apparently a lot of games) and just missed the target by a mile.

It's main selling point (being your own DM and running campaigns) has, from what I'm gathering, been a bit of a joke.

LOL. That was the HUGE thing they were pushing for or so all of the preview videos were pushing. And even early on in the promotion period people were saying what a bad idea it was. Guess they were beyond the point of no return on that one.

If you're starved for some Forgotten Realms content....well, this is certainly better than Daggerdale....

That's a real selling point. But is it better than Hillsfar?

LOL. All in fun. thanks very much for responding and please don't take offense to anything here. I just was venting. I take your assessment as pretty much spot on the money. Just frustrated because I had hopes and dreams at one point.
    No, not at all. I collect RPGs as much as play them, and I don't outright HATE much of anything. Often times when you are obsessed with something (movies, bands, computer role-playing games) the lows are as interesting as the highs. Problem with Sword Coast Legends is that it falls right in the middle.

One of my favorite critics once wrote that if there was a list of rock songs from from best to worst, Van Halen's "And the Cradle Will Rock" would be dead in the center. Meaning every song "better" could be considered good, and every song "worse" could be considered bad. Just a clever idea to be sure, but Sword Coast Legends puts itself to be considered in that utterly mediocre spot.
    edited January 2016
    Come to think of it, I went back and played this a little tonight, and I'm suddenly finding it practically unplayable. There is no reason this type of game should have these endless load times, and unreal FPS drops between different areas. It's insanity that I can play Witcher 2, Skyrim, and Dark Souls 2 perfectly fine on my laptop and an isometric RPG causes this kind of trouble. I uninstalled. Screw 'em. Outta site, outta mind. Pillars and Divinity are 10 times the game this one is anyway.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    You using Windows 10?

Pillars and Divinity are 10 times the game this one is anyway.

More or less my point in entirety.

• SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    SCL, when it comes to load times, suffers from the same thing PoE did. SCL isn't optimized. Like, at all.
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    The DM tools are AWFUL