Skip to content

Book of Infinite Spells [sploilers]

I've just gotten to the Brynnlaw section in Chapter 3 with my Kmage, Jaheira, Keldorn, Anomen, Haer'Dalis and Yoshimo and acquired the book.

I always used to bag the book of infinite spells and not bother with it. However I only just realized (DOH! I used to assume only mages can use it) that any character class can cast with it which makes it much more useful than I previously thought.

Right now I've turned it to page with Spell Turning which if i am not mistaken is the highest level spell you can get in the book. I am thinking of keeping it there, not sure if this is the most useful in the long run. What do you guys do with it?
JLeeJuliusBorisov

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I always keep it on the ground, I never bother with it, but I do remember waaaaaaaaaay back in the vanilla days even before ToB was out, I would take it with me, but for me these days, I don't even bother, although stoneskin can be useful for a fighter as well ( especially in ToB)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I use the Wand of Lightning trick to duplicate it for extra copies of the Spell Turning version, so I can use the WoL trick to bounce Agannazar's Scorcher spells between two characters with each copy of the Book of Daily Spell and therefore produce the Death Ray Zorcher that strikes thousands of times before it dies down, and can instantly slay SCS dragons in Nightmare mode, or any critter that's not immune to Agannazar's Scorcher.

Then I forget to ever use it.
    biffyclangerWowoMontresor_SPJuliusBorisov
  • OhmegaOhmega Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2016
    Whhhaaat. This is a free True Sight on whatever character you want. Or a free Wyvern Summon. (Spell Turning? I think you guys lost it. Heh.) If there was an item that gave you 1 extra level 6 spell as a quick-item slot you'd take 3 of them. And True Sight is one of those spells that's always useful to have.
    biffyclangerDexterDiscoCat
  • biffyclangerbiffyclanger Member Posts: 216

I use the Wand of Lightning trick to duplicate it for extra copies of the Spell Turning version, so I can use the WoL trick to bounce Agannazar's Scorcher spells between two characters with each copy of the Book of Daily Spell and therefore produce the Death Ray Zorcher that strikes thousands of times before it dies down, and can instantly slay SCS dragons in Nightmare mode, or any critter that's not immune to Agannazar's Scorcher.

Then I forget to ever use it.

Does it work with regular casting of spell turning? or just 2 mage version? I gotta try it for fun :)

Ohmega said:

Whhhaaat. This is a free True Sight on whatever character you want. Or a free Wyvern Summon. (Spell Turning? I think you guys lost it. Heh.) If there was an item that gave you 1 extra level 6 spell as a quick-item slot you'd take 3 of them. And True Sight is one of those spells that's always useful to have.

I never use web which is what makes Wyvern Summon good right? I find its persistent effect not to mention the sound effect annoying. True Sight would have been a contender if EE didn't introduce true seeing gem. Oh and i also have Keldorn tag along so its really an overkill. Otherwise i agree its the most useful. I need to experiment with Wyvern summoning a bit more...

Does it even give Stone skin!? if it does then that is probably more useful especially for my dual wielding Anomen lol.

Does anyone know if spell turning reflect Druid's version of call Lightning?
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    My Blackguard used the Spell Turning a lot! I think it is the best spell you can get in the book.
    biffyclangerJuliusBorisov
    Cool alright i guess ill stick to it. Btw it must reflect beholder rays right? gotta try it once i get to the Underdark.
    @biffyclanger: Any form of Spell Turning will let you bounce scorcher spells. I call this the scorcher loop. But only by combining the WoL trick with a Spell Turning scroll or the Book of Daily Spell will let you create the Death Ray Zorcher, which bounces more scorcher loops than should be possible.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/42982/agannazars-scorcher#latest
    JuliusBorisovPantalion

@biffyclanger: Any form of Spell Turning will let you bounce scorcher spells. I call this the scorcher loop. But only by combining the WoL trick with a Spell Turning scroll or the Book of Daily Spell will let you create the Death Ray Zorcher, which bounces more scorcher loops than should be possible.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/42982/agannazars-scorcher#latest

WOW! eye opener!!! have you tried it on a boss yet? it seems like spell sequencer behavior is a bug to account for only the spell lvl of one scorcher when there are 3 being fired. But even if it is fixed it will still do huge damage! nice discovery! Love it!! love to try fry some beholders for a laugh :) Honest its more fun reading the forums then playing the game, not sure when i will get to the Underdark at this rate lol.
    JLee
    @biffyclanger: I've tested it on Adalon with SCS and Nightmare Mode, but otherwise the only boss I think I used it on was TorGal.

I wish there was another way to use the scorcher loop. The Ring of Energy in EE now counts as a level 0 spell instead of level 4, so it can't be bounced, which means the scorcher loop does nothing to any enemy that's immune to fire or level 2 spells, like celestials or Melissan. Unfortunately, there's no way for the player to lower enemy fire resistance.
  • OhmegaOhmega Member Posts: 35
    edited January 2016

I never use web which is what makes Wyvern Summon good right? I find its persistent effect not to mention the sound effect annoying. True Sight would have been a contender if EE didn't introduce true seeing gem. Oh and i also have Keldorn tag along so its really an overkill. Otherwise i agree its the most useful. I need to experiment with Wyvern summoning a bit more...

Does it even give Stone skin!? if it does then that is probably more useful especially for my dual wielding Anomen lol.

Interesting idea Web + Wyvern, hadn't considered it AND I do use web. One of the best spells in the game if you stack lots of them. With Malison, confusion/blind/fear and Cloudkill/Death Fog/Incendiary, there are many auto-win fights using this strat. If you have aTweaks you can add Dryads to this - summon woodland beings which cast Entangle as well but the amount of sound that makes is actually insane... Mainly, Wyvern is just good because it's a decent level 6 summon and you can just always use Summons.

You can't get Stoneskin from the book. Dunno why he thought you could? Maybe he's using a mod.

Spell turning reflects Call Lightning. Did this to myself against an upgraded Shade Lord, heh. BUT it doesn't repeatedly call down on yourself. It reflects but only zaps you once.

Thing about Spell Turning is that it's only useful IF there's an enemy mage. It's only useful if that mage EVER uses single target spells (rarely). AND it needs to target the 1 character that has Spell Turning on (unlikely)... Just take something that you'll use all the time and guarantees you value. That's my thinking anyway.
    biffyclanger
    Ohmega said:

Interesting idea Web + Wyvern, hadn't considered it AND I do use web. One of the best spells in the game if you stack lots of them. With Malison, confusion/blind/fear and Cloudkill/Death Fog/Incendiary, there are many auto-win fights using this strat. If you have aTweaks you can add Dryads to this - summon woodland beings which cast Entangle as well but the amount of sound that makes is actually insane... Mainly, Wyvern is just good because it's a decent level 6 summon and you can just always use Summons.

You can't get Stoneskin from the book. Dunno why he thought you could? Maybe he's using a mod.

Spell turning reflects Call Lightning. Did this to myself against an upgraded Shade Lord, heh. BUT it doesn't repeatedly call down on yourself. It reflects but only zaps you once.

Thing about Spell Turning is that it's only useful IF there's an enemy mage. It's only useful if that mage EVER uses single target spells (rarely). AND it needs to target the 1 character that has Spell Turning on (unlikely)... Just take something that you'll use all the time and guarantees you value. That's my thinking anyway.
    Good point, i don't think i get targeted by mages with single person damage spells much so Wyverns it is then :). I tried Wyverns on their own its pretty decent as a meat shield. Don't get me wrong I know web is a great spell, especially at lvl2 its just I don't have the patience to wait for it to dissipate before you can sleep lol.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited January 2016
    I use it for the wyvern. Of course the wyvern won't win all your battles for you but it's still nice to have an extra summon.
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    I once had Spell Turning save a no reload run when my Charname Shapeshifter in werewolf form wandered alone into an area of Watcher's Keep I thought I had already cleared (had just come back to that game after a few days off).

Wandered right into an unnamed Lich I had apparently missed the last time I had played. Lich started to cast a spell, I clicked on the Book, spell ended up being Imprisonment, and the rest took care of itself.
    Wow noway it can turn Imprisonment!!!! wtf! that is pretty cool!
    GreenWarlock
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    edited January 2016
    Minsc uses it (spell turning) before walloping baddie magic-users with sword and boot.
    GreenWarlock