Skip to content

could you put in an achievement for rerolling past a 90+?

75, 76, 79, 75, 75, 92, 75 dammit

anyways I've done this so many times over the last decade and a half that a little recognition would be nice

:(
JuliusBorisovBelgarathMTHGrumAnduin

Comments

• TwentyTwenty Member Posts: 52
    What a great suggestion!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    An achivement should actually be for not clicking a reroll button after you roll 95+.

P.S. But what if you intentionally clicked reroll in order to get even higher roll? Maybe it should be 100+.
    GemHoundAnduin
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I seriously think there should be a "go back to previous roll" button. I cannot even count how many times I skipped a 90+ roll because I already clicked mouse button. I saw the damn roll, you know, but my finger was a bit too fast.
    GemHound
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    That's why I play Rangers.
    elminsterPantalion
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I got tired of all that, so I made my own autoroller in Excel. Then I just use ctrl-8 and subtract points to match my roll.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited January 2016
    I recently downloaded an autoroller as well...Poor old finger gets tired:(

And staring at your own BG character creation with the music constantly looping can be nauseating over time^^
    [Deleted User]
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    I think most people who've rerolled stats to get a high enough number have tried the pain of rolling past a good roll.
    But honestly... At some point you have to admit that you might aswell cheat yourself to whatever stats you want. That is what I usually do. I either do runs where I'm going by 75 points (or lowest possible for classes with higher requirements), or I do runs with around 95 points, where I simply cheat my way to 95.
  • vishvish Member Posts: 49
    edited January 2016
    Highest roll I've ever gotten was a 96 with a Cleric/Mage, recently in fact. I've played this game practically since BG first came out, 1999, as a kid overseas with no friends. Still have original CDs and guidebooks. I've never seen a roll over 100, and have only seen one 98 get skipped. Maybe I've seen higher and didn't know it since the roller wasn't implemented until EE, but I really, really doubt it.

I've come to the realization I deserve certain quality of life fixes from this game. Can't be bothered with casting Haste, so I create Boots of Speed for everyone. Can't be bothered with rolls either, so I CTRL+8 at character creation. Sue me.
    Post edited by vish on
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I used to edit the 2da minimum values for tactical playthroughs. Saves quite some time if I planned to have a set minimum number anyhow. Nowadays I actually reduce below 75, because suboptimal characters are more fun.
    Do the EEs even have achievements? Never noticed.... (or saw a use case for it).
    lroumen said:

I used to edit the 2da minimum values for tactical playthroughs. Saves quite some time if I planned to have a set minimum number anyhow. Nowadays I actually reduce below 75, because suboptimal characters are more fun.
    Do the EEs even have achievements? Never noticed.... (or saw a use case for it).

It doesn't have any achievements. Which is fine in my book.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Achievements are so not indies...
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    It should be an achievement for 109+ :wink:
    Nimran

It should be an achievement for 109+ :wink:

See now that WOULD be an achievement! :wink:
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    edited January 2016
    Lifat said:

lroumen said:

It doesn't have any achievements. Which is fine in my book.
    It appears to have achievements on Steam, I'm not sure if they're hooked up in the game code though:

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/228280/achievements/
    JuliusBorisov
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    The achievement should only be awarded if you rolled above 90, didn't store it, and then rerolled.

Force people to give up amazing rolls!
    JuliusBorisovAnduinAstroBryGuy
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    edited February 2016
    @PhillipDaigle ah yes, but how will the code distinguish between "I intentionally discarded that roll" and "I accidentally clicked reroll because my finger is on automatic from the previous thousand rolls below 90" ;)
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Faydark said:

@PhillipDaigle ah yes, but how will the code distinguish between "I intentionally discarded that roll" and "I accidentally clicked reroll because my finger is on automatic from the previous thousand rolls below 90" ;)

Timing. If the time to reroll is < 1 second, you get the "Awww... Nutbunnies" achievement for accidentally discarding a good roll.
    JuliusBorisovFaydark
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    97 is the highest. Played the game so long... I don't believe you can get higher, (although I did see an image with a 98 recently)

90 is easy. Only takes ten minutes of your life...

So, character creation is equivalent to smoking two cigarettes.

Don't die of re-rolling. Stop now.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Just a reminder: smoking cigarettes is bad, and is not encouraged in any way here. Instead of smoking, go re-rolling characters, folks!
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Often, I find it quite easy to roll a number higher than what I intended for the character I'm rolling and leave points unused after adding and subtracting points, as I get too much points.

It made me think the topic title was about intentionally rerolling as the number of points is too high - but there's no need for it, for you can click 'continue' without spending all points.

Maybe an 'I'm not a powergamer' achievement, aka 'it feels good to be average Joe?'.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Rerolling has a bigger rate of addiction than smoking. All the cool kids do it too!
    JuliusBorisov
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    This is actually a good idea. It would lessen the sting the first time I do it.

What really stinks is when you don't quite see what the number was, but you know it wasn't a 9 followed by a 0, 1, 2, or 3. It had to the look of being something up there, ya know. That really stinks.

I rolled a 95 with a 00 exceptional strength once (Paladin). But all my other insane rolls came using the autoroller.