Skip to content

Well... What are you going to spend your proficiency points on in BG1:EE?

AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
As a request from @noodles_too to PUT OUT THERE the most brain numbing poll... I am conducting a poll to inform the world what weapon most people like to use and spend proficency points on when leaving Candlekeep.
It may help somebody from BG1:EE development about what kind of weapons we want to see more of...
  1. Well... What are you going to spend your proficiency points on in BG1:EE?180 votes
    1. Axe... The swiss army knife of weapons. Not only can you chop down trees, you can chop off legs, arms and heads!
        5.00%
    2. Blunt. To be blunt this includes Maces, Clubs, Warhammers and Staffs. Excellent for bludgening a little sense into your average Orc.
      12.78%
    3. Short, Long and Composite Bows... Whatever way you look at it... Pretty damn useless without Arrows...
      10.56%
    4. Large Sword. The classic weapon of knights and other protentious do gooders with penile envy issues.
      28.33%
    5. Missiles of the non tactical or nuclear type i.e. Darts, Slings, Crossbows light, Heavy and Very Heavy.
        3.33%
    6. Small Sword. For stabbie stubbie action. Stabbie! Stabbie! Stabbie! Dagger meet Gibberling back STAB!
        8.33%
    7. Long pointy weapons. Spears and Halberds can reach the parts that other weapons cannot reach.
        5.00%
    8. Spiky weapons. Flails, Morningstars and Nunchukkas (Nah... Only Joking no Nunchukkas...)
        4.44%
    9. Anduin! You idiot you have used the BG1 proficency table and BG1:EE is using the BG2 system... I could forgive you if you did this because you are limited to only 10 different options... But I am not forgiving you because you wasted 10 minutes of my time reading this... That was 10 minutes playing time wasted! I will never get that back! You are an arse!
      16.11%
    10. What does proficiency mean?
        6.11%

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I like small swords because they are STABBIE. Do I need to say more?
  • noodles_toonoodles_too Member Posts: 23
    Oh i see blame it on me...haha
    I plan on being a half-orc,so i want something nasty looking!
    Anduin
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Blunt weapons, but simply because the Cleric class won't let me use a spear or a crossbow. Hmm. Spears.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    Bows, bows, bows, even without the arrows you can still make a good use of them.
    Like...one string harp,....or you can start a fire....even dry small loundry:D
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    I don't actually put proficiency points in polearms. Mainly because I play Mages and Thieves and the like. But I put polearms down as my answer anyway because they're a very cool weapon, and tragically underrepresented. I want more spears! :(
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I put spears down because of my name although usually I use swords. They're a more elegant and refined weapon type most of the time.

That said my weapon proficiencies will vary according to whatever character I'm playing. My elves will almost always use Longsword and Longbow when possible, but my dwarves almost always use Axes and Hammers. Then you add in halflings just looking odd if they aren't using Shortswords or Daggers and you start to get an idea =)

That said I love my IWD2 Paladin/Ranger/Fighter who's primary weapons are Greatsword, Spear, Quarterstaff, then usually longsword and shield cause of a certain weapon.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Daggers, homeboy, they're what's for breakfast.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I honestly don't know yet. We'll have to see what new weapons they add in to the game.

As is, likely Scimitars. My first guy is going to be an Avenger, so it only makes sense.
    DragonspearEnialusMeliamneQuartzskyline818
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I like both axes and spears. Thus I'm madly in love with halberds!

Oh how I wish BG:EE would add more halberds to the game. Really... halberd, halberd +1 and halberd +2 are simple not enough!
    DragonspearThe_New_Romancerecklessheart
  • JariahxSynnJariahxSynn Member Posts: 67
    Halberds are awesome! Stabby and hacky all in one nice package :3
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Pole / Bow combo Fighter.

Halberds are nice, if they can alternate between piercing and slashing, as the manual states.
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    I think I'll go for a hammer/shield fighter this playthrough named Martellus. I just love the fighter stronghold quests in BG2, and always feel bad that Nalia essentially loses the keep if you're not a fighter.
  • Thief_Of_NavarreThief_Of_Navarre Member Posts: 26
    Darts. 5 deathly dooming attacks per round. That's it!
    sandmanCCLCrevsDaak
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Gotta go with the big sword. So many options; one for every situation!

Need Free Action? There's a sword for that!
    Need to berserk yourself? There's a sword for that!
    Need to go for the eyes? There's... actually that's Boo's job... sorry. :)
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Two weapon style
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    :P :P :P
    And seriously, it depends which of fav PCs I'm gonna play first.
    Karrion is all about staves (staffs?).
    Buria thinks that longsword and dagger dual wielding is a sensible choice.
    Malica believes in the power of darts (they are a pincushion before they have the time to swing those big swords of theirs!).
    Chaos cares not for weapon proficiencies - wild magic is the way to go!
    The one, the only, the magnificent Laslo the Bard will tell you that you can't go wrong with a crossbow.
    and so on, and so forth.
    The_New_Romance
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Playing a half-elven Fighter-Mage who uses touch spells and melees. As a F-M that will be melee without armor (unless I get elven chainmail somehow without killing Drizzt). Using a shield therefore isn't 'realistic'.

Anyway, as a meleer with no armor and shield I'll be dual-wielding. Large swords and scimitars provides the most powerful assortment, IRCC.

I guess I could also go with a two-handed weapon with a long reach like a halberd, spear, or quarterstaff. But for me it feels right for the protagonist/party leader to wield the game's most powerful weapons.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    We love you anyway @Auduin. Great sword or long sword for me.
    DragonspearAnduin
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    My paladin used to be a sword and shield kind of a girl but she's recently become a convert to the great sword. Gets the job done quicker.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    edited September 2012
    Took me 10 seconds actually. A good deal! =)

Anyways,

Long Sword: *
    Katana: * (are there katanas, right?)
    Two-weapon style: **
    Picking Drizzt's pockets: *****
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Except that I'm happy to waste 10 minutes. 15,300 more to go until 18SEP when all answers will be discovered. After 100,000,000 rerolls and hand-wrings and other thoughts as CHARNAME becomes real.

"I'm a real boy"

Does my character get a cricket?
    DragonspearAnduin
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    edited September 2012
    New weapons so nice!

I'am a Cleric shi,....

I want some edgeless Swords, Hellebards, Axes,.. *snif*
    Dragonspear
    Okay... Wow 85 votes! Pretty good! Looks like large swords are what most people fancy swinging. Closely followed by me being an arse... Maybe some people thought they could spend profiecency points on that... maybe... :P
    @Reedmilfam If a cricket in the style of a Jimini... no. If in the style of a bat... Yes! One cricket bat! That would be a blunt weapon!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

I honestly don't know yet. We'll have to see what new weapons they add in to the game.

As is, likely Scimitars. My first guy is going to be an Avenger, so it only makes sense.

Huh, neat. My first char will be an Avenger as well. :3
  • randyroorandyroo Member Posts: 54
    i'm going for bows, all shall tremble before my composite long bow.
  • pklooppkloop Member Posts: 113

I like both axes and spears. Thus I'm madly in love with halberds!

Oh how I wish BG:EE would add more halberds to the game. Really... halberd, halberd +1 and halberd +2 are simple not enough!

IWD2 has one of my all time favorite weapons.. +4 Massive Halberd of Hate :-)
  • rodneyandsteptoerodneyandsteptoe Member Posts: 99
    Always use a two handed sword and staff combo - cos my female paladin really is envious of the guys...NOT lol
    Quartz
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    Dump everything into Darts. You'll thank me later.
    Syntia13AnduinMoomintroll
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139
    Stacks 40?
    Not that it matter, i need blunt Darts for gods sake!