Skip to content

Watch the Dragonspear Live Stream, today at 10am (PST) !

Comments

• dluxdlux Member Posts: 13
    I missed the livestream so I watched it on youtube and I have to say that it looks quite good. Finally some brand new Baldur's Gate goodness! :)

Also happy to hear that the visual aids (health bars above characters and current health points in numerals on portraits) can be turned off. I also dislike the new red highlighting when selecting dialogue options and hope that that can be turned off as well.
    GrammarsaladJairyanna
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Looking at people's reactions to the livestream and concerns many express, I have nothing but share these words by @PhillipDaigle from the Familiar magazine:

"We know how protective the fans can be of their beloved series and we are heavily modifying that. We need to step lightly. I have my foot in both camps: I want to improve Baldur's Gate and bring it to a wider audience but I'm also a crusty old-school gamer who likes who games worked back in the late '90s. As such I temper my enthusiasm forr a new UI feature or layout ith the question. 'But will it still feel like Baldur's Gate?"
    GreenWarlocklolien
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    I don't know why all the fuss about the UI. BG2 UI is at the beggining overwhelming, but when you spend some time to learn the mechanics, UI provides everything you need to know and it's functional.
    I would rather like to see some new gameplay mechanics and spells in shaman/bard class, compeling and invigorating story and interesting fantasy environments with creative level design.
    Players should feel that SoD is old-school but also fresh.
    JuliusBorisovGrammarsaladlolienValamirCleaver
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    brus said:

I don't know why all the fuss about the UI. BG2 UI is at the beggining overwhelming, but when you spend some time to learn the mechanics, UI provides everything you need to know and it's functional.
    I would rather like to see some new gameplay mechanics and spells in shaman/bard class, compeling and invigorating story and interesting fantasy environments with creative level design.
    Players should feel that SoD is old-school but also fresh.

Unless that ui allows you to move around, and add buttons (eg pick locks). I would totally have a nerdgasm if they did that
    brus
  • Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    I agree less focus on UI (which is already a big improvement over the originals in its form) and more time spent on the game. I'm worried it might be a case of over-engineering with things like easy-read fonts. We already saw interface improvements with BG:EE I think people are happy with it as it is and want the new gameplay content and story. I know I would rather see new spells, monsters and story than UI improvements. Also it gets to the point where its less of a clear improvement and more a question of taste, for example individual looting is quite important to me and I want to watch characters fight not intrusive mini-healthbars diminish.
    GrammarsaladValamirCleaver
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    Something really bugs me about Glint's portrait. He reminds me of a ventriloquist dummy.
    ValamirCleaver
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    After watching the stream I am more stoked than ever to get SOD. MY problem is which of my saved games to go with. But its a good problem.
    elminsterGrammarsaladJuliusBorisov
  • wojtekwojtek Member Posts: 311
    i would like to see refreshed classic bg I UI
    edited February 2016
    Cerevant said:

Mikey205 said:

I know I would rather see new spells, monsters and story than UI improvements.

I see comments like this often, so I think it is important to point out that the folks who implement the Engine & UI are a completely different team from the folks who implement game content. (With the occasional exception of content devs needing a new feature so the can do something cool)
    (Insert "why not both" meme here)

Everyone has their preferences, but I know that when I play MP with my brothers on 1.3, I keep having "this sucks" moments when I come across a bug that we've already fixed or can't use a new feature that we've added.
    The popularity of the GUI mods suggests that they should add this feature, yes. I don't really care about it, but I'm for it because I think it will get many people excited about the game (and, so hopefully increase sales, and lead to bg3, etc.) (Though, again, if they allowed us to customize buttons--eg give bards the thiefs pick locks, or clerics bard sing-- I'll turn into a giddy schoolgirl)

But, while you are correct, there are budget constraints. Presumably, this is the source of any opportunity cost concerns. Assuming a limited budget, it seems that money spent on x means potentially less money for y
    JuliusBorisov
  • mk187mk187 Member Posts: 3
    Nice! Can't wait! So please hurry ;)
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I think the Phil Daigle quote above describes my split-camps view of the UI too. I am a conservative curmudgeon who like the game the way it has always been, with a flavorful, immersive UI. That does not mean improvements cannot be made. A classic example is the green shading on spells that can be learned by a mage. This went through several iterations, most of them were far too intrusive steps back for me, but the final version that actually shipped is really neat unobtrusive feature that simplifies some corners of the game that were fiddly for no reason - notably in stores.

My concern from the livestreams is that the new UI shown is starting to feel a little generic and flavorless, particularly the Character Info page, but it is also a work in progress, so I am very happy to withhold judgment until the final product ships.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Here we go!
    Gloomfrost
  • GloomfrostGloomfrost Member Posts: 261

Here we go!

Wait a second, how did i miss ANOTHER live stream? was there an announcement i missed? What the heck? was this the second stream? What's going on here? this wasn't on beamblog
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Gloomfrost For SoD news, always check https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/40963/baldurs-gate-siege-of-dragonspear-previously-known-as-the-adventure-y-project#latest

The announcement for the second twitch was made in the form of an e-mail newsletter from Beamdog, and the entry about that appeared on the thread I linked.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    Also if you have a twitch account and "follow" the bamdog channel you will get email notifications when it goes live.
    JuliusBorisov
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314

The popularity of the GUI mods suggests that they should add this feature, yes.

I wasn't commenting on a feature - what feature are you asking for?
    edited February 2016
    Cerevant said:

The popularity of the GUI mods suggests that they should add this feature, yes.

I wasn't commenting on a feature - what feature are you asking for?
    Me? I'd love to be able to customize buttons, and change them as needed for a given class/kit. (Say, like IWD2)

Say that I want monks to be able to disable traps as well as detect them. I would like to be able to assign the proper button to monks, so they could do this...

Edit: I'm assuming, perhaps wrongly, that this is all that would be needed to do this as monks already can put points into detect/disable traps
    Post edited by Grammarsalad on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

Here we go!

Wait a second, how did i miss ANOTHER live stream? was there an announcement i missed? What the heck? was this the second stream? What's going on here? this wasn't on beamblog
    This was the second stream.
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    edited February 2016
    I like the witty Bard Lass - could she send me love letters? It is hard to find an employed role play lady with good hand to hand blade skills and who can use long range fire and is a well read bard and story teller like me- all the officers in the Marines are too aloof or romanced already. Anyway, the option to switch to 1-hand 2-hand on a clicky hotbar is great! before the no switching ui is one reason why I would opt for sling/1-hand or axe/1hand instead some two handed ranged attack.

I just listened to them- I did not watch the vid part. Anyway, I had some questions- according to the vid you can find (edit correction) the 4 EAnchanced additon joinable companions in the game - but not every single joinable character in BG1 ... However, there are many instances in the game where characters with opposing world views ans loyalties will leave the party and kill each other.... So what happens in the case where in BG1 one of your player characters killed the other? Will they still show up in the SOD?

in SOD do they come up to you and say: "no no I was not killed" - or "no no I was resurrected" ala BG2? I hope they do show up- there are certain cases where characters curse the party and leave as well - never to return in BG1 - can I still find these angered polar opposite moral code characters in SOG? I hope so. (Edit maybe this is not a huge problem as there are a limited number of players that can join from BG 1)

(EDIT add on ) Oh noooo it sounds like some terrible evil Fates that drive even gods will steal the mighty master from me!? How can Tiax be cleft from my team - we are Brothers destined to Rule the World together and have smart guy Qualyle as our foot stool like those Japanese weirdo business men use covered with sushi.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    The whole continuity things intrigues me as well. For example, what happens if you start the expansion with only one of the paired returning NPCs?

Suppose I have only Minsc but not Dynaheir. Will I get a chance to recruit her again? Is she not going to show up at all? Do we finally get to recruit Biff the Understudy? These questions are going to eat at me until I get to play this thing.
    I'm looking forward to seeing who carries over, and who does not. Apparently all potential NPCs can import into the start of SoD, but many will make their exit from the story shortly after that. I actively do not want spoilers, but I'm already nervous that my shorty-party be the short on NPCs! (Alora, Kagain, Quayle, Tiax, Yeslick - Montaron had an accident) Two new shorties to make up the number though, so mayhaps all is not lost :)
    lolien
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited February 2016
    For some reason I'm under the impression that we already know who's coming back and who isn't based on screenshots and the live demos:

Imoen is seen in the trailer and screenshots but not as a party member. It seems she won't be recruitable until the very end (or at all) which I hate, by the way. Skie is also mentioned in a journal entry. With that out of tbe way...

Returning original NPCs:

- Dynaheir
    - Edwin
    - Jaheira
    - Khalid
    - Minsc
    - Safana
    - Viconia

Returning Beamdog NPCs:

- Baeloth
    - Dorn
    - Neera
    - Rasaad

New NPCs:

- Corwin
    - Glint
    - M'Khiin
    - Voghiln

Random thoughts:

That's 14 NPCs, almost as much as the original BG2. More new than old. A bold move for a title supposedly banking on nostalgia.
    The only classes not covered are Barbarian and Paladin.
    Dwarves and halflings got the short end of the stick (get it? GET IT?).
    No elves either, though there are two Drow. And three half-elves.

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited February 2016
    Kilivitz said:

For some reason I'm under the impression that we already know who's coming back and who isn't based on screenshots and the live demos:

You can probably extrapolate a bit more from the new NPCs:

Corwin's an Archer, so Kivan's probably out; Glint is a Cleric/Thief, exeunt Tiax; M'Khiin's Shaman spells are based on the Druid template, so she's replacing Faldorn; and Voghiln's obviously meant to be a Bard people might actually want to use, as opposed to Garrick.
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    I've been hoping to see Branwen, Cleric of Tempus kit and all, but I'm guessing she missed out on the upgrade. :(
    I'm still hoping for Alora, just because I want some more sugary-sweet upbeat voice work. I never got to play Alora before the EEs, as I never really got the idea of rushing to the Gate to play the characters there. She has definitely been one of the revelations of EE for me - not bad for a vanilla character ;~)
    could someone please provide me with a direct link on how to sign up to be notified via email that a stream is upcoming. I have missed 2 of them and would appreciate someone giving me precise information on where to sign up to be notified.
    Parys
    Go to http://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/ and at the top of the site enter you email and click "Subscribe" to subscribe to Beamdog newsletter to receive the info. In the past this newsletter included information about twitch streams.
    edited February 2016
    bengoshi thank you! i think i know what the problem was, when i view that page in firefox there is no huge graphic with the subscribe button.

It's completely missing.

I loaded it up in IE and boom a huge button for subscribe to newsletter.

You know these Beamdog forums have given me firefox weirdness on more then a few occasions :(

oh well its corrected now thanks again.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605

could someone please provide me with a direct link on how to sign up to be notified via email that a stream is upcoming. I have missed 2 of them and would appreciate someone giving me precise information on where to sign up to be notified.

The live streams are done through twitch, to get email notifications when they go live:
    1. Create an twitch account at here
    2. Go to beamdog's profile and click the "heart" (follow) icon here
    3. Click the triangle next to the heart and switch the "Notify me when the broadcaster goes live" to "on"

Hope this helps.
    JuliusBorisovFaydarkDragonspearlolien