Skip to content

Class

iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
edited January 2016 in Off-Topic
A short survey: do you use the word "class" to describe something good/admirable/elegant or something along those lines in your native language?

Native English and Russian speakers need not apply as I already know the answer. :)
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Yes, in portuguese it is used in the same way.

A "classy hotel" is a "Hotel de classe" , for example.
    iKrivetko
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    You might like this book:

http://www.archive.org/stream/genealogyofmoral00nietuoft/genealogyofmoral00nietuoft_djvu.txt

For Nietzsche our ideas of 'good' have origins in class and caste distinctions. Something to keep in mind while you work to keep charname on the 'noble' path. :)
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    Yes but the word itself 급(class) is somewhat neutral.
    however with proper words it can describe good meaning like, 고급(high or good quality/class).
    iKrivetko
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    edited January 2016

Oh, I expected this thread to either be about school or about fighters, clerics, bards, and other such things.

Just as planned
    JuliusBorisovDJKajurusemiticgoddess
    Err. That drawing looks like a Jewish caricature. I'd be happier if you replaced it with Mr. Burns or the hand wringing kid meme. That way you'd still make your point without using something that promotes stereotypes.

And, to be clear, I think you only meant to post a hand wringing photo.
    Son_of_ImoensemiticgoddessSkatanelminster
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    DJKajuru said:

Which is funny, because we (English speakers) will sometimes use the term "de classe" as being gauche or in poor taste.
    lolienTeflon
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    In Dutch 'klasse' is a compliment or a way of say something is good. Not used very often though.

And I agree with killerrabbit, the cartoon is an eerie stereotype you had best remove.
    killerrabbitelminster
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited January 2016

DJKajuru said:

Which is funny, because we (English speakers) will sometimes use the term "de classe" as being gauche or in poor taste.
    Englishmen would rather use the term "posh", I suppose?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @killerrabbit: That's the joke. Made me smile, to be honest.

Although I understand that the image itself was originally created by an actual anti-Semite, not some guy parodying anti-Semitism (like Sacha Baron Cohen does). But I think in most cases people post that online to poke fun at anti-Semites for being paranoid and racist, not poke fun at Jews for the super secret global conspiracy.

Just relax, don't take the joke seriously, and remember: you didn't hear anything about a conspiracy.
    killerrabbit
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    In Sweden "klass" is used in a similar way as in english. It has pretty much the exact same meaning.
    Teflonkillerrabbitlolien
    Interesting. I hadn't realized that 'evil jew' was a meme and I assumed iKreventko had just googled "hand wringing" and pulled this one up.

Having now looked at lots of these memes I get 'the joke', I see the irony, the subversive intent, the judo move of at all . . .

And still I think the same thing I think about Baron Cohen: sometimes irony transforms into something else. The Victorian facial hair was once 'ironic' and is now a trend; sometimes irony subverts and sometimes promotes stereotypes.

Thanks @semiticgod for explaining without initiating a smack down :)
    semiticgoddess
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018

sometimes irony subverts and sometimes promotes stereotypes.

I think that at least some of the time the trends change when people stop letting others define what annoys them. It is usually someone who is like "You may intend that [comment/trend/action] to be insulting, but if I embrace it, you lose your power over me."
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Hmm... No, not in my language.
  • Daralon87Daralon87 Member Posts: 236

In Dutch 'klasse' is a compliment or a way of say something is good. Not used very often though.

Same option is in the German language but "Na Klasse" can as sarcastic or ironic compliment, for break something or makes someone for somewhat mistakes.
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    We use "klassz" in hungarian. Same meaning and pronunciation as in english.
    Gozeta