Skip to content

State of BGEE (BG2EE) mods?

AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
Hey there,
due to an unfortunate accident, I lost a year of work on my private BGT megamod install and decided to throw BGT over board and finally embrace EE. There are however a few question that I still have.

Firstly, should I wait untill the release of Dragonspear (are the Dragonspear areas completely integrated into BG1 or is this an expansion pack like TOB where you have to import your characters?) or do you think it's safe to start modding right now?

And secondly, is a BGEE megamod install (or even BG2EE megamod install) possible, or are there are still too many conflicts which haven't been fixed yet / sorted out yet (since I will be using BWS for BGEE and BG2EE).

Also, any recommended mods for BGEE?

Comments

• ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    edited March 2016
    @AKrugBier
    Well I myself always use Strategems and BG1NPC if nothing else :smile: But there are a lot of good mods :smile: Just take a look at the first discussion on BG:EE Mods page :smile:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/15380/bg-ee-mods-and-modding-tutorials-quick-links/p1

I think it is the same kind as TOB. Correct me if I am wrong! Safe to start modding right away? Well I certainly do hope so since I am modding myself right now :smiley:

I myself used BWS on my last playthrough of BG2:EE and I didn't notice any problems. But can't of course be completely sure. You better take a look and read the discussions :smile:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44476/tool-big-world-setup-bws-mod-manager-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-trilogy-for-windows
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    Asking because as far as I know the devs are still releasing patches (1.4?) for this game and I am not sure sure what exactly these patches are modifying or if it's even possible to patch a modified / modded game.
    edited March 2016
    Aaa you mean if you put mods on a game and after that you patch it. Patching a modded game (yes it is possible) will delete all the mods (kinda like factory settings). At least I think so :smiley: However, in BWS you can save the list of mods you have loaded and easily load them again after patching. Of course, I cannot promise if the patch changes things so that the mods won't work (never happened to me before, but it might) after which you have to wait for the mods to be updated too. As long as you add the same mods, the saved games should be fine :smile:

I hope this answers to your question :smiley:
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    Does the BG1NPC project have updated banters with the new NPCs and does Stratagems also edit the new fights of the EE edition?
    Hmmm... Not sure about the BG1NPC... you better ask from its discussion page:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/39422/bg1npc-v22-2-and-bg1npc-music-pack-v6/p1

However, I think the new NPCs already have conversations with the old NPCs added by the game (BG:EE). I might however remember this incorrectly since haven't played BG:EE in a while. BG2:EE definitely adds conversations with the old NPCs (without any mods).

Not sure if I remember correctly, but at least in BG2:EE the fights are harder than the original (I think Black Pits 2 fights are definitely about the same level of difficulty as Strategems fights). In BG:EE, I really can't remember, and it might have been updated since my last playthrough (for both BG:EE and BG2:EE). Maybe someone else here knows better?

Have been too focused on the new stories while playing that I haven't paid that much attention to the difficulty of the new fights :smiley:
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    You can also have two copies of the game on your computer. That way if a mod doesn't load up after the update easily, at least you didn't lose any progress.