Skip to content

Summoned Creature AI improvement is awesome!

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
I really love the new AI that most of the summoned creatures now have! They now do what you say, when you say it and they never decide to ignore your orders to make up their own mind on what they should be doing. They also do not turn on you when you accidentally damage them. It is awesome! Kudos to whoever programmed that!

Comments

• ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    How does a summon know if it was by accident or not? Do you mean it will never turn hostile if you attack it? It doesn't make sense to me. You summon a dryad you can beat her up and she will be totally fine about it?
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

Try applying that same logic to something like an animated mindless skeleton completely under your control or a created mindless magical sword also completely under your control... To me it doesn't make much sense for those kinds of things to EVER turn on you. It also makes sense to me that most spells bind things to your control and compel them to obey you, regardless of whether or not they like you. I see no issue with this.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    I kinda liked the fact that you had treat the summons with respect. To me it was about summoning stuff being dangerous and there always being the chance of you losing control.
    edited March 2016
    Tresset said:

Try applying that same logic to something like an animated mindless skeleton completely under your control or a created mindless magical sword also completely under your control... To me it doesn't make much sense for those kinds of things to EVER turn on you. It also makes sense to me that most spells bind things to your control and compel them to obey you, regardless of whether or not they like you. I see no issue with this.

Really, I never saw it this way.

The only case I root with you was when you were throwing a fireball dealing zero damage to your fire elemental summon and it will still turn hostile. This one didn't make sense to me.

edit : to me it was granted that you would only have control on your summonings to a certain extend, because now you can just summon anything send them to aggro and blast them like they are nothing coze eventually you know that they won't turn hostile, not sure if a good aligned or even a druid would be ok with that...
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738

edit : to me it was granted that you would only have control on your summonings to a certain extend, because now you can just summon anything send them to aggro and blast them like they are nothing, not sure if a good aligned or even a druid would be ok with that...

I did someone times blast them with fireball anyway, but only if I knew the fireball would kill the summons as well!
    edited March 2016
    Messi said:

edit : to me it was granted that you would only have control on your summonings to a certain extend, because now you can just summon anything send them to aggro and blast them like they are nothing, not sure if a good aligned or even a druid would be ok with that...

I did someone times blast them with fireball anyway, but only if I knew the fireball would kill the summons as well!
    you are evil ;)

edit : but at least you had to make sure of something. Now there is simply nothing to make sure of...
    "Whatever" ~Xan
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    I DnD rulebooks it says that summons that die don't really die but get sent back to where you took them from. So they should stay yours no matter what happens to them and how you treat them. They are not your friends, you summon them with spells and control them totally.
    Torin said:

I DnD rulebooks it says that summons that die don't really die but get sent back to where you took them from.

I believe that technically applies only to extraplanar summons. Not sure though...
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Now that we talk about this, I would love if there was a quest in BG:SoD where your goblin shaman companion get summoned by someone and you have to go look for her :smile:
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I treat all my summons with respect...
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Anduin said:

I treat all my summons with respect...

I treat all of my summons like the fodder they are!
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

Next... summons follow through area transitions? *puppy eyes*

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453

Next... summons follow through area transitions? *puppy eyes*

it would require to calculate travel times and disappearing timing of the summons correctly though ... from door to door, this makes sense, but pulling summons from nashkell to baldurs gate is too far.
    also, "you must gather your party" conditions would have to be handled right.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @BelegCuthalion
    I don't think that would be a problem since buffs also wear off at the correct times while traveling on the world map. Stoneskin, for example, lasts 8 hours and will stay if your travel time was only 4 hours. But it does wear off if travel time exceeds 8 hours.
    Is there any summon that can outlive travel times from a city to an other city/location? I am not sure about it. The door to door is a must though.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    The thing is, if we can move summoned monsters between areas, then in theory, enemies should be able to do the same.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    That – and we'd be able to prepare a small army in a room, rush in with all of them, and smash the enemies there in pieces like never before. a lot of the game content is designed with summons not transportable in mind.
    (in theory, i like the idea, but i think it would change quite a lot considering the content being set and not changed)
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    The bigger skeletons move slower than your party members though. What would take you 4 hours might take them 8.