Skip to content

Faiths and Powers: Gods of the Realms (Kitpack and divine caster/spell tweaks)

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Demivrgvs said:

@IchigoRXC can you turn it into a .bam please so that it can be used within a .vvc? Or create both if you know what I'm talking about. :smile: If it works I'll include it in the next KR's build which is pretty much ready.

@Demivrgvs

I can convert it to a bam for you if @IchigoRXC is not sure how.

Ichigo, just upload it to the drive if you like

I've uploaded a new beta - "beta 19" to the same location, and @Grammarsalad to the Google Drive as well.

This changes the name of the Divine Aid sphere to "Benediction," and makes some other under-the-hood changes to prepare for the inclusion of HLAs. Grammar, you might hate me, but I also re-numbered the spheres. Now they have a series of 'light' and 'dark' counterparts, plus the 4 elements and the sphere if magic by itself. The new numbering:

1. Life
    ... 2. Death
    3. Benediction
    ... 4. Destruction
    5. Protecition
    ... 6. War
    7. Knowledge
    ... 8. Deception
    9. Thought
    ... 10. Dread
    11. Vigor
    ... 12. Affliction
    13. Animal
    ... 14. Plant
    15. Earth
    16. Air
    17. Water
    18. Fire
    19. Light
    ... 20. Shadow
    21. Magic

This doesn't actually change much; it's just for our internal organization/my OCD. E.g. because Destruction is now 4 instead of 6, the new Destruction spells now use tra references starting at 50400 instead of 50600. But, that is totally unnecessary and they would work perfectly well either way.

Also, druids' 2nd shapeshifts - the 'little' shapeshifts, to ferret/rat/hare/spider - now only provide invisibility for 3 rounds. Long enough to get out of trouble or to quickly sneak by an enemy, but not long enough to be abused.

I think that's it. Grammar, I noticed that the Cleric of Tempus is currently copying over files from the Cleric of Lathander. I assume it was just placeholders, but be aware.

We're in good shape! Add the other spells, add the HLAs, I'll hook the HLAs into the sphere system, then we add some more kits, and add those kits to the deity choice system, and we're ready for release!

Good, good!

Should I change the tra references, or are they good?
    edited March 2016
    Oh, @subtledoctor what about spell mods that might want to plug into this system?

Especially mods installed before this one.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Aahh, so that attachment will work with a mod that adds just spells, but not kits? I should have looked at the attachment first... Heh, always on my stinky, useless phone
    edited March 2016

Ah, no, sorry, reading comprehension failure. I didn't see the word "spell" in "spell mods."

Right now I don't have a solution to that. It's kind of a low priority, but still in the back of my head.

Probably we can make a similar document, and our code could find it and append it to our spell>sphere arrays. But I haven't yet figured out the code for finding them and handling the appends.

Oddly enough, I think it's easier to patch spells into the mod if they are installed after fnp. I imagine that all that is needed is to copy the sphere relevant spell-adding SPL, and clone/add your spell
    edited March 2016
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Yes; and that is more or less precisely what Galactygon suggested. But that presents two problems:

1) Right now the sphere system starts with the IDS name, gets the .spl name, and runs everything (level changes, focus spells, and adding to sphere abilities). If a spell mod adds a spell that's already been added (like, say, SR and IWDification and Spellpack all add different versions of Sunscorch) and the new mod attached that IDS name to a different .spl name, then we would end up with all versions, instead of just the most recent. The sphere system works best when you run it *after* all changes have been made to SPELL.IDS.

That's not to say you couldn't find a way to eliminate doubles. It'll just take some work to code it up.

2) It could cause general load-order problems. This wants to be installed after other divine kit mods, but most kit mods should be installed after spell mods (so stuff like the SPELL_TO_INNATE macro operate in the final versions of spells. For instance, I have always installed SR and IWDification before kits. I think that's the BW recommended order.

That's a generalization and I haven't closely examined the specifics. But it makes me feel that, generally, spell mods should go before FnP. In which case we just give them document that they can leave in the override folder for us to find and work with.

Couldn't a mod check for fnp, and if present, copy rather than addspell?

Mods like sr should probably just be installed first, and this probably wouldn't work for a spell revision type mod
    edited March 2016
    edited March 2016
    So, three Hla's completed, ~17 to go. Here is a description of each:

Animal Horde
    (Conjuration)

Level: Quest
    Sphere: Animal
    Range: Visual range of the caster
    Duration: 9 hours
    Casting Time: 10
    Area of Effect: Special
    Saving Throw: None

This spell initially summons a horde of enchanted animals ready to fight for the caster. These creatures have 50% more hit die than normal, they are immune to all sleep, feeblemind, confusion, fear, hold, stun and berserk effects, they move twice as fast as normal, and their movement is unimpeded by any magical effects. Additionally, the caster is able to see through their eyes, and can send them ahead to scout or fight. These special summons do not count against the normal limit of summoned creatures.

Steal Soul This one needs a different name.
    (Necromancy)

Sphere: Death
    Range: Medium
    Duration: Instant; 8 hours
    Casting Time: 5
    Area of Effect: Special
    Saving Throw: Death -3

Much like the finger of death spell, this spell attempts to snuff the life out of it's target. The caster utters the incantation, points index finger at the creature to be slain, and unless the victim makes a Save vs. Death -3, the victim dies instantly. Even if the save is successful, however, the brush with death still inflicts 15d6 points of magic damage. Characters slain by Extract Soul find that their soul is trapped by the spell, and they are bound to this world for a time as a ghost under the command of the caster.

Implosion
    (Alteration)

Sphere: Destruction
    Range: Visual range of the caster
    Duration: 10 rounds maximum
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: one corporeal creature/round
    Saving Throw: special

This spell causes a destructive resonance in a corporeal creature's body. Each round the caster concentrates (including the first), can cause one creature to collapse in on itself, causing their outsides to burst out in a gory explosion if they do not make a save vs. death -4. The concentration required is so intense, that the caster cannot cast another spell. However, can break concentration, ending the spell immediately.

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Steal Soul This one needs a different name.

Death Pact? Clutch of Orcus? Night's Caress? Dead End? Nerull's Scythe? Imoen's Homemade Cooking?

Also it appears that the Shaman Dance is softcoded, allowing for possible kits with different summonings. Since the base class summons spirit/totemic animals and elementals, it would be interesting to have a Shaman kit that summons incorporeal undead. Kind of like the Master of Shrouds prestige class (D&D 3.5th edition's Libris Mortis), or the Ghul Lord kit (AD&D's Complete Book of Necromancers). Or maybe some Witch Doctor/Voodoo Priest kind of kit that deals with zombies, ghouls and similar rotten carcasses.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    @Kamigoroshi I was just messaging @Grammarsalad about the book of Necromancers, though I did wonder if this sort of thing falls more in @Aquadrizzt 's realm with Tome of Blood. I would love to see something like the Ghul Lord kit and the Deathslayer being added.

I like the idea of using the shaman kit abilities for the Ghul Lord, sounds interesting.
    @Kamigoroshi

I wonder just how soft coded it is. I'm wondering if we can implement something other than summoning. Like, for example, a 'rain dance'that occasionally calls a lightning bolt. That kind of stuff
    edited March 2016
  • FailGeekFailGeek Member Posts: 50
    I return! To bug you guys with my deep (DEEP) thoughts on spheres. Specifically the spheres in the kits in my updated mod. Please criticize, for I have yet to actually finalize them.

Aerdrie:
    Weapon: Quarterstaff
    Major: Life/Healing, Protection, Vigor, Water, Air, Light (6)
    Minor: Benediction, Destruction, Knowledge, Thought, Dread, Affliction, Animal (7)
    On target.

Arvoreen:
    Weapon: Short Sword
    Major: Life/Healing, Benediction, Protection, War, Knowledge, Thought, Vigor (7)
    Minor: Destruction, Dread, Plant, Earth, Light (5)
    Essentially, a less elemental version of Clangeddin.

Gruumsh:
    Weapon: Spear
    Major: Life/Healing, Death, Benediction, Destruction, War, Dread (6)
    Minor: Protection, Knowledge, Vigor, Affliction, Earth, Fire, Shadow (7)
    On target.
    FailGeek said:

I return! To bug you guys with my deep (DEEP) thoughts on spheres. Specifically the spheres in the kits in my updated mod. Please criticize, for I have yet to actually finalize them.

Aerdrie:
    Weapon: Quarterstaff
    Major: Life/Healing, Protection, Vigor, Water, Air, Light (6)
    Minor: Benediction, Destruction, Knowledge, Thought, Dread, Affliction, Animal (7)
    On target.

Arvoreen:
    Weapon: Short Sword
    Major: Life/Healing, Benediction, Protection, War, Knowledge, Thought, Vigor (7)
    Minor: Destruction, Dread, Plant, Earth, Light (5)
    Essentially, a less elemental version of Clangeddin.

Gruumsh:
    Weapon: Spear
    Major: Life/Healing, Death, Benediction, Destruction, War, Dread (6)
    Minor: Protection, Knowledge, Vigor, Affliction, Earth, Fire, Shadow (7)
    On target.

Great to see Gruumsh! I would switch death and vigor (ie minor death and major vigor) for him, but otherwise, he looks good.
    Arvoreen looks good. I'd have to look up Aerdrie. Also, I'm curious about their granted powers

Personally, I would move Knowledge from major to minor for Arvoreen. But that's just a judgment call. Arvoreen is about home, hearth, defense, vigilance... right? Heck, now that I think about it maybe Knowledge should stay major by Thought should be minor.

This actually brings up a question: is Chaotic Commands a major spell? Not having access to it could make things difficult. Maybe we should make a lesser version of it, at level 3, self-only instead of targetable. "Iron Will" maybe. That way,
    - a kit with major access to Thought casts Chaotic Commands on Korgan, Korgan kills illithids
    - a kit with minor access to thought casts Iron Will on self, and at least you'll be able to cast Dispel when Korgan gets stunned...

But that is such a great spell... Still, in fine if you feel strongly about it
    Well, what if we put that spell on the list of 'universal'spells?

Universal spells don't need to be thematic ,IMO. They are just spells that any player would expect to have, regardless of their deity selection. If chaotic command is such a spell, then it should be added to the list imo
    edited March 2016

Universal spells don't need to be thematic ,IMO. They are just spells that any player would expect to have, regardless of their deity selection.

I agree 100%

Well, what if we put that spell on the list of 'universal'spells?

If chaotic command is such a spell, then it should be added to the list imo

Interesting idea. What is it, 5th level? I think right now we have Wondrous Recall there. We could certainly move WR back to Magic and make CC universal... IF the Sphere of thought has something at 5th level.
    We could do that. We could also have 2 5th level spells in that position for universal spells...

Edit:

Is there a 5th level spell missing in the thought sphere? I could come up with something.

Man, I should probably move my most recent spells to the newest build so we can see if there are any gaps. I'll probably do that this week, but I'll let you know first.
  • FailGeekFailGeek Member Posts: 50
    @Grammarsalad Done on Gruumsh. Their abilities are up on my mod thread. Essentially: Buffing Glyph for Arvoreen, Mass Protection from Normal Missiles for Aerdrie, and Debuffing Wizard's Eye for Gruumsh.

@subtledoctor If I move thought to minor, I may have to add another minor sphere. Maybe affliction?
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001

No, that would make it 6 and 6 for Arvoreen, no? (Or did I not read the post correctly?)

It would be 6/6 but the other two kits are 6/7 are they not?
    edited March 2016