Skip to content

Faiths and Powers: Gods of the Realms (Kitpack and divine caster/spell tweaks)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited February 2016

Forgot to add, I took another stab at designating seven 'sphereless' spells in place of making the sphere of Life/Healing universal. This is actually a tough task:
    - we need one from every level;
    - they have to be core BG2 spells, no custom added ones;
    - we cannot change their level;
    - they have to be the kind of magic that every single divine-class kit can use - every Cleric and Specialty Priest, every natural Incarnate, every Druid, every different Mystic, and all Occultists;
    - they need to leave all of the spheres complete with a decent selection of spells.

Here's what I have now:

1st: Cure Light Wounds
    2nd: Slow Poison
    3rd: Remove Curse
    4th: Lesser Restoration
    5th: Cure Critical Wounds (Sphere of Life gets Mass Cure)
    6th: Wondrous Recall
    7th: Holy Word/Unholy Word

EDIT - maybe for druids/mystics/occultists, we should just rename "Holy Word" to "Word of Power" or "Thundering Blast" or something...

Actually, I think we should just rename the 'holy word'spell to 'word
    power'or something.

Edit: I mean for everybody. Rather than affect a particular alignment, it should just be party friendly
    I believe that I still need to make some destruction spells... And, I need a list. Soon to come: an edit of my second post with added spells with progress reports
    Okay, this is my list of new spells for the moment (copied from the recently edited second post):

Destruction:

Smite - Done
    (Conjuration)
    Level: 1
    Sphere: Destruction
    Range: Self
    Duration: 1 round/level (max 5)
    Casting Time: 1
    Saving Throw: None
    This spell imbues the caster with pure destructive energy against the caster's enemies. melee attacks inflict an additional 2d6 points of crushing damage for 1 round per level (max 5 rounds at level 5).

Shatter - Done
    (Transmutation)
    Level: 2
    Range: 25'
    Duration: Instant
    Casting Time: 9
    Area of Effect: One Creature
    Saving Throw: Polymorph 1/2

When the priest cast's this spell, creates a vibrating pulse that increases in intensity in a nearby creature or object that is especially destructive against inorganic, solid constructs like doors and golems. The first round, a living or undead creature takes 2d6 crushing damage unless they save vs. polymorph (in which case, they take half damage and the spell ends). Every round that they do not save, they suffer the amount of damage that they received in the last round, plus an additional 2d6 points of damage for a maximum of 4 rounds. Any round that they do save, they suffer 1/2 damage and the spell ends. The spell ends after 3 rounds.

When cast on a door or locked container, it undermines the integrity of the object destroying all but the most sturdy or magically protected locks. Against constructs such as golems, and elementals it does double damage, and they cannot save to avoid its effects.

Shout - Done
    (Invocation)

Level: 4
    Range: 0
    Duration: Instant
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: 35-ft. cone with 15-deg. arc
    Saving Throw: Special

Shout grants the priest tremendous vocal powers, allowing to emit an earsplitting roar from mouth in a cone-shaped area of effect. Any creature within this area is deafened for 9 rounds and suffers 4d6 points of magic damage. A successful Save vs. Spell negates the deafness and reduces the damage by half.

Wrath - TO DO
    (Conjuration)

Level: 5
    Range: 30' radius around caster
    Duration: Special
    Casting Time: 3
    Area of Effect: 30-ft. radius
    Saving Throw: Special
    This spell unleashes pure destructive energy against all enemies within 30' of the caster. Any creatures within the area of effect take 9d6 magic damage, +1d6 per level of the caster, up to a maximum of 15d6 at level 15; a successful save vs. polymorph halves the damage. In addition, if a medium sized or smaller creature fails their save, they are knocked prone and back 10' away from the caster.

Affliction:

Waves of Agony - Done
    (Necromancy)
    Level: 5
    Sphere: Affliction
    Range: 35 feet
    Duration: Special, maximum of 3 rounds
    Casting Time: 5
    Area of Effect: One Creature
    Saving Throw: Poison/Death -5 see below

When the priest casts this spell, points to a single creature within 35 feet. That creature is wracked with pain and must make a save vs death at -5 or be unable to move or act for a full round and they will take 2 points of non-lethal damage per level of the priest (max 30 at level 15). If he saves, he takes half damage and shakes off the spell.
    In the second round, any creature that failed their save must save again or be paralyzed for another round and take the same amount of damage as they took in round one. If they save, they take half damage and shake off the spell.
    In the third round, any creature that has failed both of their previous saves must save again or remain paralyzed for another round and take the same amount of damage again. A creature that makes a successful save will take half damage and is no longer paralyzed.
    The spell ends after three rounds and does not have any affect against creatures that cannot feel pain like golems or undead.

Plant:

Nature's Wrath - Done
    (Alteration)

Level: 6
    Sphere: Plant
    Duration: 1 Turn
    Casting Time: 6
    Area of Effect: The caster

With this spell, the priest draws on the power of nature to transform self into a terrible plant-like creature known as a Shambling Mound.

body becomes incredibly resistant to damage. AC is set at 0, and is 50% resistant to all physical damage. also becomes completely immune to fire and electricity, and only suffers half damage from cold. Additionally, regenerates 6 hit points per round.

Additionally, is infused with the raw power of nature, gaining a strength of 20, and can make two unarmed attacks per round inflicting 2d8 (+8 from strength) damage, and those struck must make a save vs. breath or be entangled for two rounds.

These unarmed attacks count as +3 weapons.

The wrath of nature will not be restrained. The priest is protected by freedom of action while transformed.

loses the ability to cast spells while transformed.

Spores - Done

Level: HLA(?)
    Use myconid spore animation.

Animal:

Animal Eyes - TO DO
    (Alteration)

Sphere: Animal
    Range: One Animal
    Casting Time: 6

When the caster completes this spell and touches an allied animal, gains the ability to see through that animal's eyes allowing to see everything that that animal sees.

Conjure Critter - TO DO
    (The spell is completed as a wizard spell; need to transfer it to a cleric spell)
    Sphere: Animal
    Range: 0

This cantrip conjures a medium to small rodent in the location of the caster's choosing. These critters can distract enemies, and do some light scouting:
    Rabbits: Stealth 40 Luck: +2
    Squirrel: Stealth 60
    Rat: Stealth 40 Bite 1 dam
    All:
    Hit Point: 1

Earth:

Stone Fist - Done
    (Alteration)

Level: 3
    Sphere: Elemental (Earth)
    Casting Time: 3

When the caster completes this spell, hands become blocks of stone. can make melee attacks with these hands inflicting 2d8 points of damage plus strength. In addition, is infused with the power of the earth, and strength is increased by 2 for the duration of the spell.

Water:

Conjure Water Elemental -Partially Done (BG2EE/EET only). TO DO: CWE for BGT (check that it has the right animation)
    Level: 6
    School: Conjuration
    Sphere: Elemental (Water)
    Range: Medium
    Duration: 1 turn + 1 round/level
    Casting Time: 1 round
    Area of Effect: Special

Upon casting a Conjure Water Elemental spell, the caster opens a special gate to the Elemental Plane of Water, and a water elemental is summoned to the vicinity of the spellcaster. Normally, an elemental with 12 hit dice will be conjured. At fifteenth level and above, however, the caster will be able to summon an elemental with 16 hit dice. The elemental will do the bidding of the caster until it is slain or the duration of the spell runs out. All of the commands given to the elemental are done so telepathically, so there is no time lost due to miscommunication, and it is not necessary to know the language of the summoned creature.

Water Elemental (12 Hit Dice):
    STR 21, DEX 9, CON 9, INT 9, WIS 9, CHA 9; AL Neutral
    HP 128, AC 2, THAC0 7, Saving Throws 4/6/5/4/7
    2 Attacks Per Round, 4d6+9 Blunt (Fist +3)

Greater Water Elemental (16 Hit Dice):
    STR 22, DEX 15, CON 16, INT 9, WIS 9, CHA 9; AL Neutral
    HP 168, AC 0, THAC0 3, Saving Throws 3/5/4/3/6
    2 Attacks Per Round, 4d8+10 Blunt (Fist +3)

Special Qualities (12 & 16 Hit Dice):
    Immune to normal weapons
    Immune to hold, poison, polymorph, sleep, & stun effects
    Slashing, Crushing, Piercing, & Missile Resistance 20%

Conjure Ice Elemental -TO DO (check animations)
    Level: 7

I need to add cantrip stuff.

Also, @subtledoctor regarding first level cleric cantrips. My thinking is to replace cure light wounds with a spell called 'virtue' or something like that, that grants some extra hit points, and makes the target immune to future castings while the spell is in effect if the 'first level cantrips' component is installed. I take it that it would mess with AI if we simply overwrote the spell. So, I can addspell it, or something, but what about universal spells?

Also, do I understand correctly that your proposal is to create a new, 'universal' sphere, and that CLW won't be in the life domain? Maybe it would be easier to have the first level spell be something that would be tolerable as an infinitely repeatable spell(?)
    edited February 2016

I'll come up with a list! You've actually made a bunch of progress, the spheres are looking pretty good.

Stuff to add to the list: HLAs. We're gonna need about 8 new HLAs. And they should be pretty fun, because they can get over the top. Here's some ideas:

Shadow Army: Sphere of Shadow. Summon 3 or 5 Shadow Fiends or something similar but more powerful (~8-12 hit dice), and trigger a Time Stop/Shadowstep in which the Shadows can move, so you can get them in position to pounce on your enemies!

Bestial Spirits: Sphere of Animal. Summon 3 of the Totemic Druid's Spirit Animals. (Okay, I can do this one.)

Stunning Emanation: Sphere of Thought/Charm. AoE save vs. stun like Symbol: Stun... except it repeats every round for the duration of the spell. Plus an SR Gust of Wind-type blowback effect in a 5' radius around the caster.

Light of Heaven: Sphere of Light. Party-friendly AoE, fire damage and save vs. breath for half; save vs. petrify or stunned; save vs. spells or blinded. Undead get no save against the blindness or extra damage.

EDIT - cross-post! Okay you already have a list. Btw I've already looked up the Ice Golem animation, it's in all three games but has a different name in each. We could just copy over one .cre and then patch the animation offset to the correct name depending on which game it is.

Cool. I'll add these to the list.

Sounds like a good idea (re golem/ice elemental)
  • DemoquinDemoquin Member Posts: 4
    Is this still up for download? I am looking for cleric kits, multi kits and for something to lose cleric restricted weapons.
    Demoquin said:

Is this still up for download? I am looking for cleric kits, multi kits and for something to lose cleric restricted weapons.

You sure can. Please let us know if you find any issues.

@subtledoctor , could you hook @Demoquin up?
  • Swifty_MageeSwifty_Magee Member Posts: 229
    Could I get access to the beta of Faith and Powers as well? The mod sounds like it makes a lot of positive changes and I'd love to see how it's currently set up.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

@Swifty_Magee I'll PM you with the link.

Hmm, this is getting close to the point where we might consider doing an open beta instead of a closed beta... I'll leave that decision to Grammar though. Probably should wait until the HLAs are done.

Demoquin said:

I am looking for cleric kits, multi kits and for something to lose cleric restricted weapons.

Link sent. Be aware, though, that this does not yet include multiclass kits. For technical reasons, those will probably be one of the last things we implement.

I think the plan right now is, roughly,
    1) finish adding new spells
    2) add new HLAs
    3) patch HLA tables into the sphere system (should be very easy, the way the system works as of the most recent beta)
    4) add all cleric kits
    5) add code for multiclass variants of the cleric kits
    6) update the deity selection dialogue to account for those cleric and multiclass kits
    7) add the rest of the acolyte, incarnate, and occultist kits
    8) update the deity selection dialogue to account for all those acolyte, incarnate, and occultist kits
    How many hla's are we doing? At least one per sphere? That's pretty much what I want to do, but I'm not sure when it will be dune. I'm getting something done almost every day, but time is limited during the semester. It may be a bit.

Speaking of which, we really should compile a (more or less) complete list...I really work well when I have a list.

Anyway, I like this schedule. I'm working on 1, with 2 planned for the near future. I might need assume help with 2 if we are doing a lot of them. SD, I think that you are more qualified to do 3 as you know the sphere system backwards and forwards, so I would probably go to 4 from there (doing 6 as I go along), and so on.

Regarding an open beta: I think it can't hurt. I'm really fine doing it before hlas are done, but I'm also fine with waiting.
    Something I would like to put out there, that I didn't want to get buried in the last post:

If anybody is comfortable creating bams, and would like to contribute to this mod, please pm me (or respond here). I could really use some help creating bams for these new spells and hlas.

Thanks
  • MythalarMythalar Member Posts: 68
    Regarding sphereless spells there is just Remove curse which is not that useful but definitely fits the theme ^^

Oh and +1 to the party friendly but non alignement-based Word of power, much more useful IMO.
  • Swifty_MageeSwifty_Magee Member Posts: 229
    edited February 2016
    Playing the beta and found a bug (apologies if it was already addressed earlier in the thread): I created a gnome cleric/illusionist and while the "select a deity" special ability was there, when I clicked on it nothing happened. No dialog window asking what deity to choose popped up like it did with my other character, a normal cleric.

I realize this is currently in closed beta mode, so this feature could just not be implemented yet with this multi-class. Or maybe a cleric/illusionist isn't supposed to be able to choose a deity, as "illusionist" is the special kit assigned to the class? Just thought I'd post this as a bug just in case.
    edited February 2016

Playing the beta and found a bug (apologies if it was already addressed earlier in the thread): I created a gnome cleric/illusionist and while the "select a deity" special ability was there, when I clicked on it nothing happened. No dialog window asking what deity to choose popped up like it did with my other character, a normal cleric.

I realize this is currently in closed beta mode, so this feature could just not be implemented yet with this multi-class. Or maybe a cleric/illusionist isn't supposed to be able to choose a deity, as "illusionist" is the special kit assigned to the class? Just thought I'd post this as a bug just in case.

Aaahh, yes, there are no checks for cleric illusionists as yet. That actually going to have to be a mage kit when it's done (note for the future). My guess is that you will see the same behavior for all m/c clerics...

Edit: yeah, we should address this before a public release, I suppose.
    Mythalar said:

Regarding sphereless spells there is just Remove curse which is not that useful but definitely fits the theme ^^

Oh and +1 to the party friendly but non alignement-based Word of power, much more useful IMO.

Remove curse would be a good choice, I think
    So, I'm reminded that we were planning a ' chaos priest'. Was that thing to be a subclass of the alienist?

I'm compiling a list of classes, and there is just so much stuff to go through.

Anyway, next Saturday, I will try to have a basic list/ write-up of all classes and subclasses, as well as basic progress reports in the OP. That really helps me focus
    edited February 2016
    edited February 2016

I think a Chaos Priest could be an Occultist, alongside the Alienist, Elementalist, and Ur-priest.

What is the Chaos Priest going to be? A divine version of the Wild Mage? If we give a priest the Wild Mage usability flag, will it trigger wild surges and caster level adjustments? I bet it will - that would be great. Could give it NRD, and divine versions of Chaos Shield. And some funky sphere access - major in... Fire and Air (the chaotic elements), Magic, Destruction, Shadow, and Affliction? Minor in... Life, Vigor, Thought, Protection, Dread, and Water?

EDIT - and that would be super super easy to make. I can throw that together in about half an hour, if it's what you were thinking about. Maybe I'll code it up tonight or tomorrow just to test the spells.

Yeah, that our about what I was thinking. I actually don't know if giving it the wm usability will make it trigger wild surges, but I agree that that is probably what will happen

@subtledoctor what do you think about making some 'exclusive' spheres? For example, I could see our chaos priest having exclusive access to a chaos sphere. In fact, that could be a defining feature of many of these 'exotic' mystics (though, with the ur priest still just having broad access).
    edited February 2016
    edited February 2016

Poop. Quickly coded up a Chaos Priest, and found two things:

1) A cleric with the Wild Mage usability code is NOT affected by wild mage characteristics like a wild mage. No caster level changes, no wild surges.

2) Apparently when the NRD "choose spell" opcode is set to choose a spell from "known spells" that really means "known wizard spells." So NRD does not work for a divine-class character. (But note to self, make a Wild Bard kit for Might & Guile.)

Boo. :(

Exclusive spheres: could be interesting, if used sparingly. But, I'm not sure who would get the benefits. The Chaos Priest is dead in the water (for now); the Ur-priest just gets super-broad access to normal spells; and the Elementalist gets major access to all of the elements. What are we left with?

A Demonologist could be cool with a unique sphere, we could make some wicked infernal-themed spells. And some existing ones already fit pretty well: Beltyn's Burning Blood (level 4), Shroud of Flame (level 5), Summon Fiend (make it level 7), maybe Malavon's Rage (level 6)... make three more like that and we have an "infernal" sphere. How about "Summon Imp" at level 3? Maybe bring over Spook for level 1?

EDIT - I also just tried giving the invisibility for druids' 'little' shapechanges (rat/hare/ferret/spider) the "non-combat only" flag. The idea being, if you turn yourself into a little rodent, you can sneak around... but if you do it while an enemy is watching, they will see you and stomp on you. Unfortunately, if you call a non-combat-only spell via opcode 146, the spell works even when you are in combat. So druids still have at-will invisibility, and it's just too powerful. Need to figure something out... maybe just add a delay of liek 3 or 5 rounds after giong back to your natural form, before you can shapechange again? Hmmm...

That is a bummer about the chaos priest...

I was thinking and the demonologist, the hive and ooze masters... I'll keep this in mind when creating a list. Those are good spells for a demonologist

Edit:

"...Unfortunately, if you call a non-combat-only spell via opcode 146, the spell works even when you are in combat. "

What if the spell that calls the spell is non-combat?
  • If I remember correctly, when I gave a Cleric/Mage the Wild Mage kit with EEKeeper, it would sometimes trigger a wild surge with divine spells, but wouldn't get the caster level adjustment or ability to NRD divine spells. I don't know if it would be worthwhile to cobble together a "Chaos Priest" multiclass kit for Cleric/Mages.
    Kaigen said:

If I remember correctly, when I gave a Cleric/Mage the Wild Mage kit with EEKeeper, it would sometimes trigger a wild surge with divine spells, but wouldn't get the caster level adjustment or ability to NRD divine spells. I don't know if it would be worthwhile to cobble together a "Chaos Priest" multiclass kit for Cleric/Mages.

Well, maybe a single class priest can cause a wild surge. One example proves the rule.

In any case, this could still be an interesting mc kit. What if we coded the kit as a mage, rather than cleric, kit?

Worth investigating

Could do that... but in that case why not just use the Wild Mage kit?

Flavor!

A wildmage can be any alignment, and have any sort of view about wild magic: maybe for one it's 'a way to gain power'; for another, 'I need to understand it to contain it!', whereas a 'chaos priest' might embrace it. When wielding it, she might claim to 'get a glimpse into the true fabric of reality' or somesuch thing.
    A quick update:

I'm going a bit crazy creating spells. I have a working 'storm wall' that creates a wall of electrical energy. Right now it looks like... (slight star wars Force Awakens spoiler)

when Kylo Ren froze the blaster bolt in mid air, except it's electric.

Anyway, I might create enough spells that we won't need to rely on any third mods. But, I plan to make 'different' spells, so those extra mods will only add to the experience.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    right now, i feel pretty sure that they won't bring many spells over, maybe just a few. for example it has been stated that druid hasn't yet received new low level useful spells which he sorely needs.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Yes, you can use any resource from BG:EE, BGII:EE, or IWD:EE in your mods. Obviously don't just release a 2 GB "Play BGII:EE with the BG:EE UI" mod that includes every file from BGII:EE unchanged, but if you're looking to use a spell or an item from IWD:EE in your BG:EE mod, that should be alright.