Skip to content

Sword Coast Legends. Is this the spiritual successor to NWN?

Comments

• brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited February 2016
    bengoshi said:

I've decided it would be interesting to share the Gamebanshee's review of Sword Coast Legends because that site is quite respected by many.

"I did not spend any time with the toolkit. This review is for the campaign and engine only."

"Characters are defined by their attributes and abilities. The attributes are the standard six: strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, and charisma. You're allowed to spend points to set your attributes at the start of the game (where you're likely to end up with values in the 10-15 range), and then every four levels you receive two attribute points so you can advance them further. This system is a little too friendly to me. You can easily raise your primary attributes to 18 using points (18 is the point cap), and then raise them all the way to 30 using equipment (since all equipment bonuses stack). 30 is just wrong for a D&D game."

"After every battle, along with experience, you also usually pick up some equipment. The equipment in the game isn't very exciting. Most of it is random with one or two basic bonuses, and other items are of the Longsword +1 variety. There aren't any set items, but there are a few unique pieces that are worth tracking down. The most notable thing about the equipment is that all of the bonuses on your worn items stack together, so if you have five items giving bonuses to strength, then you apply them all to your character (instead of just the best one, which is normally the case for D&D games). Because of this, it's easy to advance primary attributes to 30 or reduce spell cooldowns by 50%, and it's tough to tell if this system was intentional or if it's simply a "feature" of the game."

"Sword Coast Legends was a major disappointment for me. Developer n-Space completely massacred the Dungeon & Dragons fifth edition ruleset to make their game more action-oriented -- or perhaps more "appealing to the masses" -- but their strategy backfired terribly. They also built a campaign that could have come out of an RPG 101 factory, which is a waste of time for anybody like me who has graduated on to more advanced coursework. Their campaign also does little to advertise what their module toolkit might be capable of, or to encourage anybody to explore it further.

That said, Sword Coast Legends is a budget title, and you'll probably notice it on sale a lot in the future. If I've done my job properly and set your expectations extremely low, then maybe it won't seem horrible if you pick it up for around $5. But there are better games out there. All over the place."

http://www.gamebanshee.com/reviews/116794-sword-coast-legends-review.html

And, SCL is geting PS4 release from today twitch stream news
    http://www.twitch.tv/swordcoastlegends/v/50895429
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I notice that interest in this title has waned quite considerably since launch. Considering the forum base, what does that say for the game?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I really want to like this game but I keep going in thinking it's going to be 5e (which I like alot, currently playing a Wizard/Cleric Necromancer in a PnP game). Then I get this weird action game. It has Drow but now I'm just waiting for a Gnome Race. I hope the Warlock has the an Archfey specialization though I imagine it's going to be fiend considering Tieflings are going to be released next in the demon-themed expac.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    The way they did wizards, it's hard to imagine how warlocks would be much different.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Vallmyr said:

I really want to like this game but I keep going in thinking it's going to be 5e (which I like alot, currently playing a Wizard/Cleric Necromancer in a PnP game). Then I get this weird action game. It has Drow but now I'm just waiting for a Gnome Race. I hope the Warlock has the an Archfey specialization though I imagine it's going to be fiend considering Tieflings are going to be released next in the demon-themed expac.

I'm waiting forma dragonborns and tieflings.
  • ShandoShando Member Posts: 147
    Hey,

Wanted to know if anyone is goin to buy/bought the game.

ty :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    @Shando merged your post into this thread (which has become the forums Sword Coast Legends thread)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Guys don't bump up this disappointment.
    LOL
    I'm sure it will be good (eventually).

Assuming they keep updating it, that is. Anyway, here's to hoping Beamdog makes the next awesome D&D RPG that's actually set in 5e as opposed to psuedo-5e.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    Just tried checking out my module for it (Ahazu Trilogy) and found that one of the more recent patches must have screwed it up.

Also I see that mages still act dumb in the game and go running forward rather than cast spells.
    Post edited by elminster on
    Vallmyr wrote: »
    LOL

Assuming they keep updating it, that is. Anyway, here's to hoping Beamdog makes the next awesome D&D RPG that's actually set in 5e as opposed to psuedo-5e.

It is a shame that this has become a business model for a lot of companies in the industry these days. Release a game and then spend the next 2 years with "Updates" until it gets something approaching playable.
    the_spyder wrote: »
    LOL

It is a shame that this has become a business model for a lot of companies in the industry these days. Release a game and then spend the next 2 years with "Updates" until it gets something approaching playable.

Hopefully it will be akin to NWN2. Horrible initial release but a few expacs down the line and it's a respectable RPG.
    the_spyder wrote: »
    LOL

Hopefully it will be akin to NWN2. Horrible initial release but a few expacs down the line and it's a respectable RPG.

I understand your optimism and appreciate your enthusiasm. I hope that you are right. At this stage, I've given up all interest in this game and it will have to come around a LONG way before I put money down on it. That's the risk these game companies run by creating a game and only THEN working to make it playable.
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    Wishful thinking. Have they added anything worthwhile to the skill trees and combat engine since release?

FWIW, I had picked it up via headstart access and finished it early after initial release. It has been mostly a disappointment as basically I rushed through the encounters as if it were an action game. The classes (dumb wizards!), skills and NPCs didn't raise any interest at all. The graphics engine isn't bad, but what they've done with it looks much too cartoon-ish to me. And NWN2, even if not as pretty due to real 3D, is superior due to its camera modes anyway. Ever entered a dungeon in exploration mode? Stunning!
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Sylvus_Moonbow Source? That would be too bad.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    edited March 2016
    Yea they are dead. And it is a good day as they were crap developers that made a terrible game.

Hopeful SoD does very well and Beamdog gets a chance to make a proper 5e D&D cRPG.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited March 2016
    Post edited by Sylvus_Moonbow on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Their publisher says "Staying alive as a mid-sized independent developer in the games industry is no small feat", and it's hard to argue with that. Big titans are very hard to fight with. Especially if your game is not being sold well.

All I can say is I have a huge sorrow for all involved into N-Space, for all people who bought their game and didn't get what they wanted, and for all unemployed people. Life goes on and there's always a second chance!
    I feel bad for the developers especially since they were quite active on the forums and seemed genuinely sincere. I bought the game hoping it would be like BG and NWN and be a pretty cool video game version of 5e but I myself was disappointed when it was not. I guess it won't receive the patches/expansions needed to make the game great >_>
  • BelfaldurnikBelfaldurnik Member Posts: 212
    Ironically, http://n-space.com is stuck in 2015 and still refers to SCL as """Our upcoming game, Sword Coast Legends offers an all-new way to enjoy the time-tested magic of playing D&D as a shared storytelling experience. The game brings the roleplaying dynamic between players and Dungeon Masters to life with DM Mode, a first-of-its-kind real-time experience in which Dungeon Masters guide players through unique customizable adventures."""

Perhaps the focus on the DM Mode has been one of the biggest mistakes, if the main game does not offer enough potential for more than one playthrough.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Not to mention the game requires the official servers to be online. Since N-Space closes shops, so do this game's servers in all likelyhood. Making SCL unplayable and pretty much nonfunctional. Well, that's what I read on their forum anyway. Me, I (luckily) didn't buy the game. So I don't know for sure whenever this is true or not.

It would be nice of them to release the source code so that players at the very least could use their own servers to keep the game alive. Best of all would be if something akin to The Temple of Elemental Evil's "Circle of Eight" mod sees the light of day for SCL. Wishful thinking, I know, but one can hope.
    I did see actually quite a few mods to bring the game in line with 5e. If they release the source code and they make the whole thing legit 5e through mods I'd adore the game. No Gnome Bards but I can at least play my Drow Necromancer.
    Reading on their forums now. It's actually quite sad. It feels like they had a community very similar to ours. In particular this Draconusx moderator seemed to be their equivalent to our @bengoshi and everyone is saying goodbye to him and wishing him farewell and such for being such a good moderator. It's really sad because that could have totally been us if Beamdog had somehow failed.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    And now the pressure on Beamdog of providing a quality D&D game in the form of SoD in order to get a chance for future BGNext and IWDNext is even higher. But they'll do fine, I'm sure!
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    Wow, that's horrible news.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    The pressure is huge for such small studios. I really thought they found the strength to make the game better and meet the player's expectations with Rage of Demons.
    What will happen with this content what they've created so far?
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    And this kids is why you don't make action games out of (supposedly) RPGs.