Skip to content

My 2.0 complaint dump (GONE SEXUAL!)

Comments

• jyskjysk Member Posts: 26
    chilvence said:

I have a pragmatic opinion: If you expect a PC game to be perfect on release, that's a bit naive. I have never seen it happen - remember before steam and the like, where you had to go trawling for patches before you even consider starting a game? I do, and bugger me if we don't have it easy compared to that. If a game ships with bugs, don't blame the developers, blame deadlines, they are hit and miss. Once you have said 'March 31st', and everyone is waiting for it, you have basically stitched yourself up, you have to ship with whatever you have got and deal with the fallout afterwards. It will get better. Hell two of my favourite adventure games of all time got a whole new multiplayer system _after_ they were shipped.

This game is literally 16 years old. The "EE" version (read: 4 more NPCs with a few more quests) is already 3 years old. This argument does not work.

Sadly nobody expects games to be perfect on release today. But now Beamdog is forcing everybody into a an atrocious UI of a 16 years old classic without a working rollback feature. I should have never bought this EE version, but now I am stuck into 60 hours of my playthrough....
    thelovebatMivsanCrevsDaak
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    jysk said:

chilvence said:

I have a pragmatic opinion: If you expect a PC game to be perfect on release, that's a bit naive. I have never seen it happen - remember before steam and the like, where you had to go trawling for patches before you even consider starting a game? I do, and bugger me if we don't have it easy compared to that. If a game ships with bugs, don't blame the developers, blame deadlines, they are hit and miss. Once you have said 'March 31st', and everyone is waiting for it, you have basically stitched yourself up, you have to ship with whatever you have got and deal with the fallout afterwards. It will get better. Hell two of my favourite adventure games of all time got a whole new multiplayer system _after_ they were shipped.

This game is literally 16 years old. The "EE" version (read: 4 more NPCs with a few more quests) is already 3 years old. This argument does not work.

Sadly nobody expects games to be perfect on release today. But now Beamdog is forcing everybody into a an atrocious UI of a 16 years old classic without a working rollback feature. I should have never bought this EE version, but now I am stuck into 60 hours of my playthrough....
    Rollback easily works under Steam properties, and select 1.3, so quit speeding misinformation.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited April 2016

jysk said:

chilvence said:

Rollback easily works under Steam properties, and select 1.3, so quit speeding misinformation.
    well about that. It doesn't even work. Crashes at gorion's ambush.

I don't suppose or expect beamdog to support the rollback either. (Wouldn't make sense after all)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We can at least make sure it installs correctly when you select it. We won't be fixing bugs in it, but the issues that have been reported look more like a build issue (in which case we should be able to fix it on our end).
    illathidDharius
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139

jysk said:

chilvence said:

The irony.
    edited April 2016
    Content deleted. Keep your posting PG-13, folks.
    Post edited by Dee on
    bizzyd1441
  • InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179
    jysk said:

BG1 was not perfect on its 1998 release, nor was BG2, or IWD, or IWD2. Anyone recall the Temple of Elemental Evil?

I get the frustration of not getting what you want, but sometimes it is best to remember that the world does not revolve around you, and you are still in it with many other people that prefer to be treated as human as you do. That isn't to say you shouldn't voice your opinion, or even get passionate about it, but really the issue is a bit too trivial for insults to be appropriate.

On topic; I do not like all aspects of the new UI, however I prefer it over the old UI. I can't express enough how the UI of the originals had kept me from playing the games at all on my wide screen. Not to mention the pain of fixing the sound issues...

I've voiced some of my bigger concerns with the UI in the past, mostly aesthetic things that make the whole shebang look like a quick fix for something that wasn't necessarily broken, but I haven't really gone any deeper than that. In play, I really don't notice a whole lot of the change, but I do notice things like inconsistency (note the aforementioned 'done' button in the OP) in design and somewhat jarring issues like Glint forcing me to 'tab up' to the dialogue just spoken because he stopped detecting traps (I am unsure if this has been a reported issue or not.)

Granted, I am not as hard to please as some other hardcore fans of the series (all I really want is IWD2EE and Planescape: Torment EE) so my more 'lax' opinion is in part due to indifference rather than belief that it's a great change, so take what I've said as you will in that light.
    illathidGirewan
    edited April 2016
    Content deleted. Keep your posting PG-13, folks.
    Post edited by Dee on
    Mivsan
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @jysk
    Were you aware that the originals are still for sale on GOG?

https://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_2_complete

Contrary to your statement, no one here, including beamdog, is preventing you from playing the same game you played in 2002.
    illathidCrevsDaak
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'd like to remind everyone that the site rules are still in effect, and you are expected to be respectful of other forum members in your posts. The site rules are posted here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/10852/site-rules-mind-the-gap
    JuliusBorisov
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    edited April 2016
    The click place hold thing is just stupid, where it holds the cursor until you unclick. I had thought the game was just choppy till I noticed I was holding the click down like I normally did before. I don't like this change and don't even get why, its like moving items to different inventories and the whole clicking system just got so choppy. This is my only problem with it for now.

EDIT: The click hold thing isn't happening in bg1ee so it just looks like they need to just finish the update for bg2 or whatever. By the time im back at bg2 itll be good to go most likely lol.

The menus will take a bit to get used to, the spell books are meh because the small icons at the bottom makes it weird, and I was noticing a ton of bugs just making my guy on bg2 with portraits being in weird orders or just showing as black after awhile of browsing. Had to also restart my bg2 game in Irenicus lair like 2-3 times. Cant remember.

I do like the new colors we can use but the slider is stressful as hell unless theres a different way to sift through the colors. I tried the arrows but no go. Its hard to get all the colors or even see them on that tiny slider. Didn't I also hear the weird colors can make games wonky? Maybe not.

I dunno when this happened either but random loot in irenicus lair kinda, and b-swords actually have a different animation than long swords.
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    The bg1 set up seems a lot more polished than the bg2 one, this gives me more hope lol. Also if anyone has the older GOG versions before EE you can just re install the nostalgia if things don't work out. I think when they get to bg2 with the updated stuff and whatever else itll be a lot better than we can hopefully look forwards to BG3 or next story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • realsickofbugstbhrealsickofbugstbh Member Posts: 12
    Wow, I see my comment has been deleted, the reason being "Contents deleted. Discussion of piracy is strictly prohibited on these forums."

Let me just make clear that I have _bought and own_ the original BG games as well as the EE games, and that I meant I would (re)download the original games (that have been digitally available since 2010) and play them instead of the EE games. No piracy was involved or implied whatsoever. Strange assumption by moderator, as the original BG games are on sale online even now.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Yep, their on GOG website.
  • murmumurmu Member Posts: 1
    Mostly I've had problems with multiplayer. Haven't touched singleplayer as I got oppressed with the multiplayer.
    First of all it's harder to play with your friends as loking for the game isn't as easy as it was before. Me and my friend had connect problems as she couldn't find a game I made. After a while we made a lan game to make sure we can get to gaming. And every time you want to make a game with password you need to rewrite the password? Huuuuuuge dislike.
    But then we got another problem. As I was loading the game and already got off from the loading screen my friend had a message that was something about connecting or unable to connect. And the message didn't go away until she spammed esc for a minute or two. When the message did go away and she got in game, she didn't have any sidebars. Smashing keyboard helped sometimes for this.
    Finally we got to play this game. And what happens. If I pause the game or someone casts timestop, my friends game freezes and stays at pausemode until the game is closed. Pausing game in BG is really important as you make most of your fight decisions during it.

There's also something with the patch that broke a bit saved games. My character's name had changed a bit due the patch.

About the new UI:
    I don't mind the changes too much but still the old UI looked better for my eye (and apparently for other ppl too).
    What's it with the bottom box of conversations? You can't see your casts, damages and experience if you're not talking to someone? Being a wild mage this sucks. You may cast something else and don't know about it at all.
    Healthbars seem useless as they don't fit in the game's atmosphere. But it was a good try tho.
    Lastly it seems that textures are buggy. I've seen some nasty pictures of buggy waters, lavas etc..

It would be shame to not to continue playing BG2 as I love the game and I really did enjoy the EE version of it. Me and my friend have been playing it for over 50hrs now in this playthrough. This is the second playthrough we're playing fyi. Hopefully you'll fix it soon enough so we can get back to killing dragons :)
  • EtaminEtamin Member Posts: 830
    edited April 2016
    Maps (both area and world) are the most unfinished in 2.0 in my opinion. Travel times are unnecessary and ugly and "travel button" is unneeded. You can't move to the play area directly from "world map" - you need to close it and then close "area map". Very inconvenient. Also everytime i load game and turn in map for the first time i have to uncheck "available area". What's more "notes on the map" can't be unmarked. Every time i enter map this option is present.
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
    edited April 2016
    Insultion said:

BG1 was not perfect on its 1998 release, nor was BG2, or IWD, or IWD2. Anyone recall the Temple of Elemental Evil?

Ah, ToEE: Beamdog if you got the rights to that, and fixed it, I'd kiss you
    bleusteelCrevsDaak
    edited April 2016

@jysk

Contrary to your statement, no one here, including beamdog, is preventing you from playing the same game you played in 2002.

Yes I have them. But I have 60 hours into BG2EE and I dont want to start over again just because Beamdogs decides to completly change the game in the middle of my playthrough. ;)
    SirBatinceMivsanCrevsDaakthelovebat
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    jysk said:

@jysk

Yes I have them. But I have 60 hours into BG2EE and I dont want to start over again just because Beamdogs decides to completly change the game in the middle of my playthrough. ;)
    I'm in a similar situation. In my current playthrough, I was about to enter Suldanesselar when the patch hit. Not only did it ruin the UI, look and feel of the game, but it also broke mods. So the best case scenario is that it's "on hold", but I should probably just forget about finishing it.
    thelovebat
  • atakdogatakdog Member Posts: 51
    I am shocked — shocked — to hear that Beamdog has released something without adequately testing it first. Where have we heard that before? Oh yes: With literally every major release they've ever put out.

Disappointment is appropriate. Anger arguably is too. Surprise is not.
    GodKaiserHellMivsanthelovebat
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    atakdog said:

I am shocked — shocked — to hear that Beamdog has released something without adequately testing it first.

The beta has been in the testing stage for 3+ weeks, so the patch was released only after a lot of testing was done. On top of that, they made several surveys where players could express their views straight to the developer.

The 2.0 patch went out with a firm remark that the work on the UI and the game overall continues.
    lolienillathid
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Was there a firm remark? Because that is what I am curious about. I remember your 'addendum'-thread @bengoshi and as far as I know, there was no big message when updating to 2.0. Not in an official place at least (beamblog, News-forum here, during the update in the Beamdog-platform or other platforms as well) as far as I know. Only Dee's post on the v2.0 patch notes, where it is said "The User Interface has been overhauled with a new system" which seems to be a bit of an understatement, especially when looking at BG2:EE.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Doubledimas

From the release notes:

v2.0 introduces the first batch of updates to the game’s
    user interface
    using the new UI System.
    Special thanks goes to forum user 00zim00, who
    designed the layout we're currently using for the Character
    Record screen in Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition.
    This screen will likely change in future updates, but
    the version you see now is the result of weeks of beta
    testing and discussion with members of our community.
    lolienillathid
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Yes, I know that and you know that, but I don't think a majority of all players read through the release notes to be honest. And the message is still lacking a bit in punch. I think that could've been clearer, for example a warning before clicking the update "Warning, contains major changes to UI! Consult release notes and forum before updating". Of course, that was before we found out that the roll-back on Steam wasn't working properly.

Anyway, what I was trying to say, I think the communication on the major changes in this 2.0 could have been a bit clearer. For example, an easy way (in my view) would have been a Beamblog post showing the differences so people knew what they were getting into (those not participating in the beta).
    Mivsanthelovebat
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    The fact that the patcher said NOTHING about the fundamental changes that were in store for us remains. I never thought 2.0 was ready for launch, I patched because I thought it was necessary in order to play SoD, which I plan(ned) on buying in the near future. There should have been a large warning sign and blinking neon characters in the patcher stating "The game is about to be patched to version 2.0. This means fundamental changes to the UI and broken save game compatibility between 1.3 and 2.0. Are you sure you want to update? REALLY sure?" (because I would have answered "no" if I was aware about what was about to happen!).
    Mivsanthelovebat
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    Afaik you DO need to update in order to be able to play SoD so your initial assumption wasn't wrong per say.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    Yes, well, had I known what was in store I would as I've said rather stick to a game that was near perfect in my opinion than update to a UI that was in some areas appalling and broken save game compatibility.
    I will at some point buy SoD, but the 2.0 experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth, which will take some time to go away. It feels like it did back in 2012 or something when I first bought BGEE: after about 5 hours of playing I installed the old CD-version from 1999 instead... Yes, it was that bad. Then, when I came back late 2014 or early 2015 I was extremely impressed of the quality of 1.3.2053. But alas, all good things come to end. R.I.P.
  • ArthandasArthandas Member Posts: 29
    Dharius said:

Insultion said:

It's already fixed:
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/project-temple-released.98904/
    dib
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    Arthandas said:

Dharius said:

Insultion said:

It's already fixed:
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/project-temple-released.98904/
    Cool, I might give ToEE another try. Never got very far before I've stopped playing the few times I've started it up before.