Skip to content

Negative reviews on GoG and Steam

TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
Hi everyone. I usually spend most of my time lurking here, but I'd like to ask a favour. It appears that having a transgendered cleric and a joke line by Minsc has greatly offended the sensibilities of some people. This has spurred these people into action, causing them to decide this is the worst game of all time and give it a zero review score on Steam, GoG and meta critic. Now, I'd like to ask for that favour. If you are playing the game and having a good time, please consider posting a positive review to balance out the loud minority which is currently painting a dark picture for new players.

Thank you.
-Trent
elminsterAstroBryGuywoowoovoodoojoluvdeltagoKrotosPekingduckmanNonnahswriterTakisMegasExcalibur_2102PurudayaAedanCahirTressetbleusteelSirBatincesmeagolheartSvarArdulAbelWanderonMonkeyLungsEnialusMeliamnemlneveseLavaDelVortelMoradinIllustairDeisSurvivorSouthpawdockaboomskiillathidlolienScottfree9000gugulug5000dancingcrabArunsunCaradocDashivadarrenkuokotekoJuliusBorisovkaguanaSssiksseilormashedtatersIcecreamtubNimranrorikoncomebackhomewubblesparkleavGozetaBelegCuthalionWilburdarksaurianBubblesRedRodent

Comments

• AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    Loving the game so far. Bought it through beamdog website though, can someone post instructions on how to leave reviews?
    Silverstar
  • InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179
    Krotos said:

Sorry to portray you in a bad light, but don't you think that asking your playerbase for such a move (despite the sinister behaviour from people, who are zero-ing the game purely because of 2 minor details) will act as extra ammo against you? I might be doomsaying but I can imagine people saying things such as "This game's so bad devs are begging people to make positive reviews!", effectively leading to a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I find the game to be sweet so please see this as my personal concern rather than an aggressive approach.

I concur with this man. It's best to let things play out as they will, review averages always even out after some time passes; let it roll.
    IthualFreyka
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Aaezil said:

Loving the game so far. Bought it through beamdog website though, can someone post instructions on how to leave reviews?

Well, that's half the problem... Seeing as a lot of people here purchased through beamdog we cant leave reviews on steam and GoG. If you go to metacritic though, I'm sure you can leave a review there..

Having said that I probably with Insultion and Krotos on this one...
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    I had already planned to write a positive review because I am enjoying the game so you already got one before you even knew it. :)

I've only written one Steam review so it takes a lot to get me to write one but this deserves it.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Don't poke the bull if you don't want the horns.
    GodKaiserHellflekeldanzarDeltaslayeratakdog
  • InconnuInconnu Member Posts: 99
    Love the game, hate that people are attacking it over trivial things they personally disagree with rather than its gameplay, but yeah. Not a good idea to ask for fan reviews. This will work itself out over time, once the vocal trolls/MRA fanatics slink back into their holes.
    lansounetBelfaldurnikValamirCleaver
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    Damned if you do damned if you don't Trent. Just don't cave in like the guys over on Pillars did. Stand your ground or you lose your voice.
    [Deleted User]mashedtaters
  • MiloMilo Member Posts: 59
    Bigfish said:

For a given definition of bull, sure.

That definition being - extremely thin-skinned, waiting-to-be-outraged gamer.
    shawne said:

Bigfish said:

Pfft. More like chihuahuas - good for yapping and peeing on the carpet, and not much else.
    Man, you're full of all sorts of insults today.
    Deltaslayer
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    You could prepared better for this, as you knew this would happen. Dont dabble into divisive writing if you dont want to be center of political attention. Now, you earned your place alongside Tim Schafer as one of top enemies of Gamergate, and this position has its ups and downs. On positive side, Kotaku, RPS and all other outlets of holier-than-thou intelligentsia better pick this story up fast, and promote your game. Otherwise, Beamdog will be alone in this mess.
    GelmartyflekeldanzarGodKaiserHellioangu
  • DimitriidDimitriid Member Posts: 43
    Purudaya said:

Yosharian said:

"having a transgendered cleric"

That isn't what people are complaining about

"a joke line by Minsc"

Have you read any of the hate reviews? This is absolutely what they're complaining about. If you don't like LGBTQ friendly content or generally can't stand that it's no longer 1953, that's fine. But trying to sink a game that people put so much effort into over a few lines of dialogue is despicable.

I left my reviews and hope other people do the same.
    Yes, there's a couple of those. Most of them are actually fair because they do mention either the political choices along with the technical issues or even just the technical issues. Overall there's just an overwhelming majority of technical issues being discussed that actually shouldn't be drowned out by positive comments instigated by a political agenda from either party: the devs or the reactionary people commenting on a very narrow view of the game.
    Dee[Deleted User]Talys
  • AaezilAaezil Member Posts: 178
    Seems like you don't need to have bought the game on GOG to leave a review! No need to refuse to review if you like the game :D
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Lots of people don't leave reviews. Myself included. I don't think there's any issue with a dev asking people to write a review if you like the game. I have a feeling that most people are only moved to write a review if they have something to complain about. Having a little reminder to write one if you like it is fine.

Maybe another dev will swoop in and ask "everyone" to write a review so all voices are heard :-)

In the spirit of full disclosure, I posted positive reviews.
    lolienkaguana
    joluv said:

Joey said:

extremist ideologies

Hahahahaha oh man.

I need a drink.
    Trip to the Three Old Kegs? On me.
    joluvwoowoovoodoomf2112Deltaslayer
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Dimitriid said:

Purudaya said:

Yosharian said:

"a joke line by Minsc"

Have you read any of the hate reviews? This is absolutely what they're complaining about. If you don't like LGBTQ friendly content or generally can't stand that it's no longer 1953, that's fine. But trying to sink a game that people put so much effort into over a few lines of dialogue is despicable.

Yes, there's a couple of those. Most of them are actually fair because they do mention either the political choices along with the technical issues or even just the technical issues. Overall there's just an overwhelming majority of technical issues being discussed that actually shouldn't be drowned out by positive comments instigated by a political agenda from either party: the devs or the reactionary people commenting on a very narrow view of the game.
    Among the written reviews, there are also multiple 0 ratings without written accompaniment. A game has be pretty much broken in order to receive a 0/10...unless that rating is based on hateful politics.
    ArunsunDaevelon
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    I agree the steam reviews aren't that bad... however the positive reviews seem to have been downvoted to hell, even the half decent ones
    illathid
  • DimitriidDimitriid Member Posts: 43
    bleusteel said:

Lots of people don't leave reviews. Myself included. I don't think there's any issue with a dev asking people to write a review if you like the game. I have a feeling that most people are only moved to write a review if they have something to complain about. Having a little reminder to write one if you like it is fine.

Maybe another dev will swoop in and ask "everyone" to write a review so all voices are heard :-)

In the spirit of full disclosure, I posted positive reviews.

There's a difference between asking for a review for promotional purposes vs asking for positive reviews specifically to attempt to drown out criticism (whenever you feel it's legitimate or not).
    FraglimatCoffeethrallRawgrim
  • epicrakshasasepicrakshasas Member Posts: 71
    Purudaya said:

Dimitriid said:

Purudaya said:

Yosharian said:

"a joke line by Minsc"

Among the written reviews, there are also multiple 0 ratings without written accompaniment. A game has be pretty much broken in order to receive a 0/10...unless that rating is based on hateful politics.
    There are 4 user reviews on metacritic. 2 of them are positive. 2 of them are negative. One discusses bugs, the other your SJW stuff. Just calm down. It is too soon to really judge anything. Fallout 4 tanked on metacritic and steam in the beginning too.
    GodKaiserHell
    edited April 2016
    Dimitriid said:

There's a difference between asking for a review for promotional purposes vs asking for positive reviews specifically to attempt to drown out criticism (whenever you feel it's legitimate or not).

When I started to read the post I thought the same, but there's no desperate plea for good reviews, more of a reminder than those of us more interested in enjoying the damned game could send in a review.

Still a moral gray zone, and I don't think this thread should have been started, but you're putting words into the proverbial Beamdog's mouth.

No doubt the reviews will 'balance out' whether this post existed or not, anyway.
This discussion has been closed.