Skip to content

So, what do you say? Is Beamdog in?

ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
BG2EE addicts should get the reference in the title.

I know the sales will be what determines, for the most part, whether Beamdog will be able to make a brand new game of their own, but I wanted to create that poll to collect your thoughts on how Beamdog fared with SoD.

If you can, please explain your vote with a short review of what's good and what's not so good.
Of course, do not forget that not everyone has explored every aspect of the game so please keep any spoilerish content under spoiler tags.

As always, though I have hardly ever been disappointed by the great community of these forums, keep any debate calm and polite.

Alright, I should open the thread with my own opinion.

This game is a plain success.
Graphically speaking, it is really nice and still very coherent with the original games. I really love the new UI. The original one really was too old and not quite practical enough.
Gameplay-wise, well, it is the game we all love, with 2.0 improvements, and one thing that Beamdog achieved which really is awesome is something they already implemented in EE: massive fights with like 25+characters on screen. I know it was not possible to achieve back then simply because computers were not powerful enough, but this really is refreshing though it might look like a big mess at first.
Concerning the scenario, it is really decent. I believe Beamdog passed this test.
Sidequests. I like how early sidequests actually affect the later stages of the game. This really is awesome. Besides that, I really think the optional content is rather good.

Now as to the point I, and I am sure I was not alone, feared most: the writing.
Beamdog's EE content writing was, not always good, and sometimes quite terrible. Yes, "bad cop" journal entry I am looking at you. You too Hexxat.
Well, once again, I was not disappointed. We are not quite yet to the level Baldur's Gate was, but we sure are much closer to it than what Beamdog used to give us.

Overall, I'd say this release is close to flawless, and this game is both a fitting tribute and a fitting conclusion to the best RPG ever. Beamdog really made it clear that they can produce very good quality games, and I certainly trust them to give us that good games in the future.

1. So, what do you say? Is Beamdog in?246 votes
    1. Awesome, just as good as the original BG
      44.31%
    2. Good, though it might have been even better
      30.49%
    3. Decent game, neither terrible nor terrific
        6.91%
    4. A disappointment. Beamdog could've done a lot better
      14.63%
    5. Baldur's Gate books tier (Which is really bad for those lucky enough not to have read them)
        3.66%
SouthpawkaguanaJuliusBorisovArdulXar105[Deleted User]Vasculio

Comments

• InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179
    SoD has a bad case of the railroads; I place it in the exact same place I placed ToB when it dropped. It's a solid 7.5/10
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Agree, better than BG, closer to BGII. And that's with a company that's a fraction of the size of the original development team.
  • DashivaDashiva Member Posts: 35
    I'm nowhere close to finished but I tend to agree with most people here. I think it's on par with the original BG, but not as good as BG2. Better than ToB.
    MoradinJuliusBorisov
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    Beamdog has shown that when they take their time and they concentrate a lot of effort and care into making a product, the end result is very, very satisfying. Only thing, there's shortage of race variety in joinable NPCs: mostly humans. The gnome in SoD is a great addition, I have him in my party at the moment, but I would like to have a dwarven cleric, or a halfling barbarian for a change. Next time perhaps?

9.5/10 would buy again.
    SouthpawJuliusBorisov
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    edited April 2016
    + Really well-told story. Not too grand, not too small, believable with sort of interesting characters, both old and new. And just as it started to be kind of blend, it took a turn for the better, and the final chapter was amazing imho (final one with fighting in it).

- Bad case of the railroads. I've always held the BG series in very high standards because it was very open, very free, I got to play and design my characters and could decide a lot of what I was going against, and when I wanted to further the story. I doubt I'll ever play the SoD chapter again for this reason alone, just like I've never replayed the Dragon Age games despite finding themto be good games in all aspects.
    - Boring fights. Way too much emphasis on big fights, which just turned into fireball spamming with little to no challenge. The two large exceptions to this was the green dragon and the final boss fight. More of those, please.
    - Buggy. Still havn't been able to run LoB mode because it returns to "insane" all the time. The fact that it was reported long before the game was released and still hasn't been fixed isn't helping.

Now, despite there being only one + and three -, I still thoroughly enjoyed the game. I expected quite a bit, and was yet pleasantly surprised. However, I still consider ToTSC and ToB to be better expansions, and content like Durlag's Tower and Helm's Keep to be better additions to the game. Challenging, top tier dungeons that are available whenever the player chooses. One of my pet peeves with "modern RPGs" are how linear they are, and how little replayability it leaves us with. I want to tell my story, with my characters and my decisions, not walk through a linear path and look at the pretty scenery.

So to sum it up, worth the money, I appreciated it, but I hope the next expansion is more actually expanding the game as opposed to adding an optional, linear story somewhere in it.
    JuliusBorisovPelmaleon
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    The PC has the best spirit guide/animal ever. Not even kidding.
    Jon Irenicus. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! I think you'd be helpful if I didn't know you were the ultimate baddie.
    SouthpawJuliusBorisov
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026

The PC has the best spirit guide/animal ever. Not even kidding.

Jon Irenicus. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! I think you'd be helpful if I didn't know you were the ultimate baddie.
    I am not going to lie, this comment is both seriously witty and hilarious.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SleepingtonSleepington Member Posts: 1
    I quite enjoyed it, enough to register just to say so.

There were a lot of nice touches, but my favorite part is that the ending personalizes the conflict in BG2 in a way simply starting BG2 to find yourself imprisoned couldn't. If there are additions made to BG2 in the future, I hope finding that dagger is one of them.

Moreover, the expansion leaves me far more interested in what Beamdog could do in a BG3 than before.
    JuliusBorisovEnialusMeliamne
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    There's been a lot of bullshit about certain small topics (let's not discuss them here), but, ignoring such facts, the expansion is very much in the spirit of the series and worth buying and playing, if not for the return of the voice actors alone.
    MoradinJuliusBorisovkaguanaEnialusMeliamne
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    With all due respect @bengoshi , basing an opinion on the beginning of a game is risky at best, many games have very well done beginnings but then fall short of themselves.

I've done much more of the story and still think it's amazing though so you've got good things coming I think.
    JuliusBorisov
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

With all due respect @bengoshi , basing an opinion on the beginning of a game is risky at best, many games have very well done beginnings but then fall short of themselves.

I've done much more of the story and still think it's amazing though so you've got good things coming I think.

I just can't imagine how the game can get worse after that level of details I saw in the starting dungeon. I'll share my thoughts about the game as I'll play the game further (althouth for me it'll be a long process).
    lolienEnialusMeliamne
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    Just about everyone in here seems satisfied which makes me happy. I hope the rest of us that progress through it all continue the trend of positivity in this thread. I really want this game to succeed not just as a fan of the series but for the possibilities the future could hold if Beamdog is good at slinging out quality BG content.
    MythagoJuliusBorisovkaguanaArunsun
  • MythagoMythago Member Posts: 23
    I've been really enjoying the game the past few days. It feels like the Baldur's Gate I fell in love with almost 20 years ago. The original voice actors certainly play a part in it, and the music is awesome. I don't agree with all the UI changes, but that's pretty minor for me, and hopefully we're given some options to use the older style at some point.
    JuliusBorisov
  • MothorMothor Member Posts: 244
    I think it was pretty good! The story was really nice and I liked the characterization of some old characters.

Its a shame that the romances were not longer though. I wonder if there is any chance of a future patch to expand them a bit...or maybe a patch to expand BG2 EE with some BSoD romances like Corwin's continuing somehow.

Or both!!

Also its a bit of a shame that the last few chapters looked a bit short and sorta as if they rushed, but I really enjoyed them nevertheless so its not that big of a deal.
  • JetLeechanJetLeechan Member Posts: 4
    I really enjoyed the game. The devs did a really good job, overall: the story, the dialogs, the maps and the quests were all high grade material. There were only a few minor issues within the game. It felt a bit like a tour-de-force through the FR with too many too powerful enemies for a relatively low level party and, like one of the posters above said, I missed the freedom of BG1. But then, I believe these two aspects were included to appeal to a wider and newer audience and I still enjoyed it very much. I also have to say they improved the way the characters find their way through the maps and how the enemies fought. I would support a stand alone game in the FR with my money if it comes down to it.

However, the two things Beamdog really has to work on are the issues without thze game: Marketing and Sales&Distribution. Announcing a game and then hide the release date until almost the very least and then releasing a game with install options of which not a single one worked for me like it should with crashes of the installers and the game itself, and quite some bugs. If it were just my own problem I might not bother anyone, but the forum shows me that it isn't. I'm a Gothic veteran of the first hour, though, and compared to the early releases of that game SoD was basically bug free :wink: . However, if Beamdog plans their own full content game I'd advise them to hire a few more people who improve their Marketing and SD.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    The game itself is brilliant, given the framework they had to fit it in. I didn't encounter any bugs, except i once crashed, and some guards didn't disappear in a cutscene.
    i'm just surprised how much backlash they receive.
    even to an anti-sjw, like me it is irrational.
    MoradinArdul
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Seeing all of these opinions, I can't wait 'til it comes out on iOS so I can play it! It's gonna be grand, I can feel it!
    ArdulSkatanlolien
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited April 2016
    I think it's been pretty damn good so far! Given the limitations on the amount of lore time and level they had to work with it's turned out extremely well. It bridges the gap quite nicely and adds a lot to BG2.

Yes, it does have bugs, yes there is one character in particular that a lot of people will have problems with, for me it's mainly because it wasn't approached in the right way. But that being said, it doesn't take much away from whats a terrific title so far and a pretty good story.

As a mage I do have issues with some of the fights, mainly because, as mentioned, fireballs end them before they begin. Never the less, it will have patches coming to fix the bugs so they are a moot point for me, as far as the writing goes, a re-write for that character could go a fair way. ;)

Overall, pretty damn impressed. :dizzy:

Please, bring on Baldur's Gate III, but run a full beta!! :P Many of these issues could have been discovered early. You have on this board, at your disposal, some of the finest minds in the BG community and some pretty damn keen up and comers! Use them! :D

( Sign me up in advance! )
    JuliusBorisovloliensparkleav
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I'm holding off on any comment until I actually get to the gameplay (I started a new game with the release. Just Durlags and the Thieves Maze to go).

I do like the UI though, and whoever changed the code so that when I double click a gem I have multiples of in the gem bag so that it automatically gives the max count deserves a round of applause.
    DaevelonJuliusBorisovkaguanaillathid
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Bumping this thread so that those who have not had the game back then may have a chance to vote.
    JuliusBorisov
  • aleks922aleks922 Member Posts: 30
    Quite nice.
    It would've been on par with other games, if only they didn't force upon us these issues about social justice...
    And I'm not talking about transgender characters or one controversial line from Minsc.
    I support the notion that female characters should have bigger roles in games. Not only as supporting characters, but as ones that carry the story. But that doesn't mean you have to portray most of the male characters as cowards, drunkards, villains and traitors.
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    I'm very happy with it. There are quite a few bugs, but that's to be expected, and I haven't hit anything really major yet (I recently got the AoM:EE expansion and the bugs here didn't come close. I feel the PR could have been handled a bit better, but their official response was good. The UI is a big improvement on what it used to be, though I would like the character sheet to be better organised (so many duplicated entries and poor spacing makes many longer than they need to be and necessitates scrolling - which the tabs system should allow them to avoid).

Overall the game has been great to play. If they were to make a new expansion to BG2EE, a BG3 or an unrelated game, I would likely be lining up to buy it.
  • BlackorbBlackorb Member Posts: 62
    edited April 2016
    It might be a little early to vote because i am only in chapter 10 :p
    But from what i have seen so far the game is amazing, so yes in my opinion beamdog is in!

• RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    A roleplaying game that gives my character only 1 option in a conversation, no matter the class or aligment, isn't doing its job well. Roleplaying needs options. Getting "offended" in 5 different ways isn't even an option, it is the writer taking full control of my character's personality.
    topkitty
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    @Rawgrim You haven't played the game. Please say that the game is a disappointment because you can't play it due to colorblindness but don't comment on the content when you haven't played the game please.
    Grumillathid