Skip to content

SoD Characters in BG2

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered 100 times, but are any of the new characters in SoD going to appear in BG2 at all?

Comments

• craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 208
    I believe the official word at the moment is "TBD," i.e. if characters are well received then Beamdog will try to include them in SoA and ToB.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Official stance is that it could happen, down the line, if the characters are particularily popular.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    If the game does well, possibly.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    That's something I would like.... just imagine Glint and Jan Jansen in the same group :)
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    mlnevese said:

That's something I would like.... just imagine Glint and Jan Jansen in the same group :)

Please... No... ;)
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Doesn't seem very likely for miss Corwin. At all.
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    illathid said:

mlnevese said:

Please... No... ;)
    Please Yes!
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    I can only see glint and M’Khiin coming back. the ending of the game pretty much says no to corwin and voulgin shows up during nerra's tob quest so they would have to rewrite that scene.
  • nomadmercnomadmerc Member Posts: 48
    Just finished the game and I'd enjoy seeing 5+ of my actions and the impact it has on bg2 rather then the current which seems to be zero.
  • AutocratAutocrat Member Posts: 68
    I'd love to see as many of them as possible in BG2.

The thought of M'Khiin's high-level quest is exciting. You don't often see goblins at that high of a power level. I'm envisioning all kinds of Underdark shenanigans.

I also agree that Corwin would be an excellent BG2 companion. I want to party her up with Keldorn and Mazzy.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I think MKhiin is probably limited by engine and art requirements, so I'm not sure she would be a good choice to exist outside of SoD

Would definitely love to have the New Viconia portrait available in 2. It's pretty close to the top of my list of things I like about the new expansion
  • KhalDrogoKhalDrogo Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2016
    @Illydth
    Corwin: CHARNAME! Thank the GODS I found you.
    Charname: (coldly) Corwin. Here to bring me back to Baldur's Gate for Justice are you?
    Corwin: Charname...I....I'm Sorry. You have no reason to forgive me after the way I treated you. I...was so angry...
    Corwin: I have evidence, CHARNAME, I can clear you. You can come back to Baldur's Gate...
    Charname: Even if I wanted to, I can't Corwin. Imoen, Irenicus is the one who killed Skie, and now he has Imoen too.
    Corwin: I won't leave you. Not again. What can I do to help...

I like it but we need another backstory for her to be in BG2, after all she has a daughter and her father. Unless the two of them died between the event of SOD andd BG2, or Irenicus/Bodhi kidnapped her daughter, father....
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    ajwz said:

Would definitely love to have the New Viconia portrait available in 2. It's pretty close to the top of my list of things I like about the new expansion

I like it too. She really looks like an actual drow. If nothing else you could always take a screen shot and make a custom portrait for BG2 (it's possible to use custom files for NPC portraits, there's a thread somewhere on how to do it).
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @KhalDrogo

I hope you're talking about Corwin's Father and not the father of Corwin's Daughter...if you are talking about the father of Corwin's daughter, you're likely going to want to re-play SoD and pay a bit more attention to Corwin's story. :)

As to needing an additional backstory:

I think Corwin has a BOATLOAD Of reason to appear in BG2 without using her family as a plot point. At the end of SoD she breaks off the relationship with CHARNAME who she (in one dialog) can say "we had it all didn't we?" for the entire reason of believing him to be Skie's Killer...and she's WRONG about it.

At the end of the day Corwin throws away any relationship she has with Charname believing her duty to Baldur's Gate and the flaming fist to be in conflict with her love for the main character. If you've played with Corwin in your party, try to conceptualize what happens if/when Corwin finds out, conclusively, that Charname was NOT guilty and that he was framed for the murder? That she condemned the man she loved for a crime he did not commit...that the man she commits to after exiting Avernus is not the monster she believed and truly had she only believed him...

I believe that to be more than enough of a reason why Corwin would leave her Daughter in her Father's hands and treck off to find the Bhaalspawn...after all it's obviously not abnormal for her to do so for the Flaming Fist. "They'll do what they have to."

Even if there is no relationship left between Corwin and Charname, with as focused on Duty and what's Right as Corwin is, if she had information to clear Charname's name, do you really think she'd just say "Oh, hell with it, he's gone anyway" and move on with her life?
  • jankieljankiel Member Posts: 127
    I think Corwin has great potential to return. I'd love to see Glint Gardnersonson as well. He is so fantastically insane. Imagine a team of him, Jan Jansen and Minsc with Boo!
  • KhalDrogoKhalDrogo Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2016
    @Illydth

I'm talking about Corwin's Father, not the coward whom abandonned his own family.

You forget something lad. I never said that Corwin left Charname without saying something if she has a proof of him/her innocence.

I played with Corwin in my party and I already try to conceptualize what happens if/when Corwin finds out the truth about Charname. Corwin did her duty during the Caelar Argent crisis, if she had information to clear Charname's name after the "evasion", with what we know about her personnality she would did something, because it is right, and because of that I do not think Schael will stay in the Flaming Fist and in service of Baldur's Gate city just after she discovers that Charname was framed for the murder of Skie without a GOOD REASON to stay, and that Entar Silvershield condamned Charname to death just for revenge because she/he is a Bhaalspawn and someone framed him/her for that.

During the dialogue with Charname they talk about what is right about Corwin's daughter. And we (Player) find that Corwin will never left her daughter (because she is torns between her duty and work at the Flaming Fist and her daughter). A mother except if she is a bad one will never leave her child during a unknown period of time alone with her own grandfather. She'll miss everything about her daughter. If you have a child you should know that lad.

So tell me lad do you really think even if she breaks off the relationship with Charname, Corwin will track him down to clear his/her name without staying with her daughter ? With proof, Schael will stay in Baldur's Gate to clear charname's name because it is the right thing to do. Someone can help him inside the City he/she saved two times. Except some people will never accept that (especially Entar Silvershield, and Irenicus.) And will do everything to stop her even take down her family.

Because of Irenicus, Entar Silvershield is a broken man whom only goal in life now is to have his own revenge on Charname. What do you think he will do if Corwin finds a proof about his/her innocence ? He will never accept it and he will do everything to put a stop to the so-called proof and to track charname down to kill him/her himself.

it is why I believe that Corwin's daughter and her father (Corwin's father) need to die or at least being kidnap.

Beside another strange thing, how Irenicus successed to enter the Ducal Palace without anyone notice him ?

Post edited by KhalDrogo on
  • nysinysi Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2016
    I would throw my money without any hesitation for any new content related to sod in BG2.

Glint and Jan would create a fun party.. I have glint voice in my head since I played SOD (If you don't give me somethind tooooo doo...")

Corwin is an important character, and I think too could be good NPC choice for BG2
    And the way Illydth propose her would fix another issue : We never head of the famous dagger and skie murder during BG2.. Corwin DLC could fix that by closing this chapter and solving Skie murder

I don't have any though on Voghiln as I didn't played him a lot.

I played the whole game with M'Khiin and liked her. She's a sad character but interresting. Adding a shaman NPC for bg2 seem mandatory to me as the only other option for having this new class in the party is charname.

And then
    Caelar ! I would love to have the opportunity to rescue her in BG2
    I can see several scenario to allow this, from a rescue mission organized by her uncle, to a rogue demon trying to lure us into Avernus with promise of looting item from Caelar / saving Caelar
    Evil party could close a portal by sacrificing a party member..

• Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    Illydth said:

@KhalDrogo

I hope you're talking about Corwin's Father and not the father of Corwin's Daughter...if you are talking about the father of Corwin's daughter, you're likely going to want to re-play SoD and pay a bit more attention to Corwin's story. :)

As to needing an additional backstory:

I think Corwin has a BOATLOAD Of reason to appear in BG2 without using her family as a plot point. At the end of SoD she breaks off the relationship with CHARNAME who she (in one dialog) can say "we had it all didn't we?" for the entire reason of believing him to be Skie's Killer...and she's WRONG about it.

At the end of the day Corwin throws away any relationship she has with Charname believing her duty to Baldur's Gate and the flaming fist to be in conflict with her love for the main character. If you've played with Corwin in your party, try to conceptualize what happens if/when Corwin finds out, conclusively, that Charname was NOT guilty and that he was framed for the murder? That she condemned the man she loved for a crime he did not commit...that the man she commits to after exiting Avernus is not the monster she believed and truly had she only believed him...

I believe that to be more than enough of a reason why Corwin would leave her Daughter in her Father's hands and treck off to find the Bhaalspawn...after all it's obviously not abnormal for her to do so for the Flaming Fist. "They'll do what they have to."

Even if there is no relationship left between Corwin and Charname, with as focused on Duty and what's Right as Corwin is, if she had information to clear Charname's name, do you really think she'd just say "Oh, hell with it, he's gone anyway" and move on with her life?
    Imagine Corwin's relationship with Keldorn. They would have so much in common. I wonder how she would react in his personal quest. Abhorred that he is so harsh when she understands the price of duty on family, or angry at him for neglecting his children in the name of duty? Juicy sh-t.
  • jimw884jimw884 Member Posts: 24
    Illydth said:

I think Corwin would work AWESOMELY into BG2...

So consider this: DLC Content, play as Corwin. After being filed with doubt over

how your relationship ended with CHARNAME
    (things), you take it upon yourself to either track down CHARNAME
    to kill him for escaping justice
    or to set out to find out the truth.

Through a small trek through Baldur's Gate you track down the real story, and then have to find what happened to CHARNAME...maybe even
    find the soulkeeper dagger

Merge that into A BG2 DLC confrontation between you and Corwin.

Corwin: CHARNAME! Thank the GODS I found you.
    Charname: (coldly) Corwin. Here to bring me back to Baldur's Gate for Justice are you?
    Corwin: Charname...I....I'm Sorry. You have no reason to forgive me after the way I treated you. I...was so angry...
    Corwin: I have evidence, CHARNAME, I can clear you. You can come back to Baldur's Gate...
    Charname: Even if I wanted to, I can't Corwin. Imoen, Irenicus is the one who killed Skie, and now he has Imoen too.
    Corwin: I won't leave you. Not again. What can I do to help...

I'm no writer, Imagine THAT BG2 Scene in the hands of someone competent...

No, I absolutely believe Corwin would make for one of the best imports of characters into BG2 ever.
    I quite like her as well and would love to see her in BG2. Glint too. Just thinking about Jan and him trying to out-gnome each other gives me shivers.
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    edited April 2016
    @Illydth

Please, make an option so we can recruit Caelar Argent in Throne of Bhaal. And, if you do that, create a quest so she can gain the abillity to transform herself into a Solar

Post edited by Vitor on
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    HA hahahahaha!!
    After this whole controversy thing? I seriously doubt it. Better chance of Leonard Nimoy comming back from the grave.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    I would love the new NPCs to be available in BG2EE. Corwin so far is my favorite.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited April 2016
    The thing that's always been unclear to me about these sorts of vague statements from the devs is that they never really explain what parameters they're using. Are the SoD party members popular? Is Caelar popular? How do you know? How is popularity measured? How popular does a character need to be for Beamdog to be like "Okay, somebody call up Anne McGrath, Athkatla's about to Go Green For M'Khiin"?

If there were a clearer sense of these things, expectations might be tempered to match. Now it's just like "The SoD characters might appear in BG2, maybe, at some point in the future, perhaps" or "We have the materials from Return to Windspear, and might possibly look into maybe doing something or other with it somewhen." I don't know what I'm supposed to do with that as someone who's trying to figure out where these EEs are going, or what they'll look like when Beamdog considers them to be "content complete".

Hell, the first thing that popped into my mind when Trent said they'd be rewriting Mizhena in a patch was "Uhh... as long as you're in there, maybe do something about Hexxat too?" Because popular she most definitely is not, and maybe that's something that can be tinkered with.
  • Baeloth_JnrBaeloth_Jnr Member Posts: 86
    Safana is a 'new' SOD character who appears in BG2.
    The only question now is who gets to attack her first, you or the werewolves...
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    edited April 2016
    My votes for who to bring in:

#1) M'Khiin. I really like her. The clipped dialogue, the (un)common sense, the "too tired of this crap to care" tone to her voice... she was just a wonderful contrast to the bombastic standard of the party. Also, her version of Shaman, even if not more powerful than what a player can have, just has more style to it. I'd love to see her banters with Sarevok. It would be wonderful if the only thing that actually scares the man was a tiny old goblin.

#2) Corwin. Corwin is an odd combination of competence and likability that makes me just want to keep her in all SoD runs, whether she's an LI or not (she wasn't in my initial run, because Neera walked in and stole the show). Like M'Khiin, she's wonderfully underplayed rather than big and boisterous like most of the original and EE characters. It makes her presence a calming one and I'd like to see more of it.

#3) Glint. Woo, boy, Glint. I like this guy, I really do. He's like Alora, if Alora were a tenth as annoying and ten times more useful. Having a healer and a thief is vital, too, so you take care of two critical roles in one character slot. I'd be really pleased to see him again, but M'Khiin and Corwin added too much to my game for him to get any higher on my list.

#4) Volghiln. I really wanted to enjoy him, I did. I like vikings. I love Skalds. My headcannon version of the main character is a Skald. That said, Vol didn't impress me much. He was one dimensional, and his skirt chasing offended me more than Safana ever did. Honestly, Safana always struck me as someone who used flirtation to get what she wanted (i.e. treasure), rather enjoying using the pig-headed nature of her dupes to her advantage. A femme fatale of the highest order. Meanwhile, Volghiln just is a pig-headed dupe.

#5) Someone else. Their implementation as a party member was just really bad and a total letdown. A return in BG2 would be a great opportunity to make him an interesting ally instead, and it would be great to see him interacting with Sarevok in ToB. But #5 would need to have a pretty darn heavy import into BG2EE to make up for his lackluster appearance in SoD. If they took the time to do it right, he'd be my #1 pick, but based on SoD alone, bottom of the barrel will just have to do.
    @Calemyr: Are you referring to a certain sorcerer supremely skilled in superfluously sibilant scenarios?
    Ah yes, I'd heard about that. That would absolutely make for an interesting addition to BG2:EE - though I imagine that if Beamdog won't do it, a mod is practically inevitable given the temporary access to the stats, portrait, class, background text and presumably selection sounds of the NPC in question...