Skip to content

What's your cheapest/cheesiest tactic?

Having played BG through again and wiping the chessboard in Durlag's Tower out with a few well placed fireballs, it made me wonder what cheesy tactics I don't know about.

Also those horrible Greater Wyverns are susceptible to trying to chase the first character they see through a closed door and will ignore other characters pelting them with ranged weapons...

Comments

• YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    edited April 2016
    My go-to cheesy tactic is loading up the squad with Arrows of Detonation. There is always some satisfaction in that quick and effortless battle.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    With Siege of Dragonspear I've rediscovered how useful the spell Web is. Incredible spell, especially when paired with the sword that lets you walk through it unscathed. Minsc's justice cannot be stopped with this combination, and many butts have been kicked so far.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Tossing a fireball toward the stairs where Sarevok is standing, firing agro, and exiting the temple to take him on alone.

I've had to do this just to move equipment off party members, dumping it into inventory, so it's not lost in Siege of Dragonspear due to the character not being made available. This way, their gear appears in the chest next to the bed.

Then I enter the temple and the cutscene fires, creating a final save to import into Siege of Dragonspear.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I've never tried it, but AIUI the Slayer change is supposed to gradually do you in with magic energy damage. Couldn't you hold out (practically) indefinitely using Protection From Magic Energy? Pretty cheesy.

As for stuff I do use, I'm partial to Mislead abuse. Keep the Mislead clone with the party, and your real caster can wreak havoc while most enemies are all but powerless to retaliate.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Mislead backstabbing, bard song stacking, killing any bosses with trap spam using cloudkill (multiple) and closing the door... Have done them all and always ashamed
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Level 1 , going to the Basilics' area, recruiting Korax the ghoul, then charging all the basilics in the map, equiping bows/crossbows to all my team, and here we go, easy xp and fast level up. Uhmmm well I did that only once, my party becomes too strong and too fast for the begining of the game, but it was funny
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    edited April 2016
    Against most mages/liches in BG2.
    1. Cast animate dead while off screen.
    2. Send skeleton over to enemy, and wait for it to die.
    3. Repeat steps 1-2 until all mages and clerics in party are out of animate dead spells.
    4. Walk basically any character over to kill the now spell-less mage. Weapons/armour optional.
  • Ark_ToleiArk_Tolei Member Posts: 69
    Probably the cheesiest tactic I've utilized is in IWD. If you make the person who was in the top party slot at game creation (swapping party slots after that doesn't influence this) invisible, and then aggro enemies and make them lose sight of your party, they'll all stack on top of the "protagonist" because the script has them approach regardless of whether that person is visible or not.

You can then pop that character in a corner and aoe bomb the enemies with your party from out of line of sight while completely safe from counterattack.

The thing with AI is that sometimes the cheesier the AI is (that follow script makes more reasonable invisibility strategies useless), the easier it is to cheese it right back.

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @semiticgod, I think you claim the crown of being the cheesemaster. Your knowledge of exploits is unrivalled. Do you have more wisdom to offer?

@Sylvus_Moonbow, I wish I'd understood exactly how the item transfer worked and exactly which characters would come across. I lost a lot of useful equipment as I thought/hoped all the equipment people had equipped would somehow be available after the initial chapter.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Spike Trap...
  • userunfriendlyuserunfriendly Member Posts: 39
    decado said:

@semiticgod, I think you claim the crown of being the cheesemaster. Your knowledge of exploits is unrivalled. Do you have more wisdom to offer?

@Sylvus_Moonbow, I wish I'd understood exactly how the item transfer worked and exactly which characters would come across. I lost a lot of useful equipment as I thought/hoped all the equipment people had equipped would somehow be available after the initial chapter.

I dispute that...i wrote the BG2 Cheese Guide over a decade ago...

In the ORIGINAL game, and i see no reason why it wouldn't still work...

wands can target containers. use a lightning wand to shoot through walls.
    defend button can shoot through walls. using Keldorn with a bow, use farsight to "defend" your summon and watch Keldorn shoot through walls.
    cast melf minute meteors with weapon in your off hand...about once every fourth attack, you will damage with your off hand weapon AT RANGE...
    The ferret familiar can smuggle the rift device and drow gear past checkpoints.
    using the limited wish "I wish to be protected from the undead right now" have Minsc talk to the djinn (wisdom below 10) spawns vampires...use evil cleric to enslave them...

bunny nuke: Use limited wish "i wish to summon a horde to attack my enemies" then use wish spell and try to get "cast abu dahzim on everyone in map" EACH bunny is abu dahzimmed...overlapping area effect abu dahzim...thousands of points of damage, potentially WAY more than scorcher trick (which i had no idea existed until yesterday) protect your party with protection from magic energy. :smiley:
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited June 2016
    Cheapest tactic is probably the good old 'sucker punch' routine. It comes up a lot of the beginning of BG2. When someone challenges you, back down so they don't turn hostile. Then return with a web spell and bomb them from the heavens.

After the first part of BG2, though, it becomes a lot more legitimate since it's an actual retreat from hostiles-regroup-set the battlefield the way you want it kind of deal.

Other than that I'm not sure if any of the other stunts I pull count as cheap or just clever. I'm not very knowledgeable of game exploits so I can't use most of them.
    my cheapest attack is area effect greater deathblow. using arrows of detonation, i can clear an entire room of beholders, trolls, mindflayers, with ONE shot.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @userunfriendly: I remember that guide!
    http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Stuff/Cheese.htm

There has been a lot of progress since then, however. Besides the stuff mentioned in this thread and in your guide...

You can apply Wizard Slayer spell failure (as well as other on-hit effects like Called Shot, Power Attack, and Poison Weapon) to area-effect weapons such as Fire Seeds, Arrows of Detonation, Jan's flashers, and the Scorcher Ammunition and Frag Grenades. This allows a Wizard Slayer/Druid to impose spell failure even on SCS liches who have PFMW active. Normally shutting down an SCS lich's spellcasting takes multiple rounds and lots of levels. You can also combine the Wand of Lightning trick with the Tactics mod's Generic Archer kit to make a dual-classed Archer/Mage drain 6 Strength per hit with Fire Seeds as an area effect.

Project Image could also be used to bypass the summoning and trap limits (they might have changed that in the most recent version).

Another forumite whose name I don't remember also pointed out that the blind thief trick could be combined with Improved Alacrity to fire off a bunch of Spike Traps at once using a Mage/Thief.

@Grum invented a way to let a Shadowdancer stay invisible indefinitely. You use Detect Traps to re-start the stealth timer, wait until you can use Hide in Shadows again, and then backstab. You will then be able to hide immediately after backstabbing. This works with the blind thief trick, but requires you to step away from your target first.

@Arunsun's Slayer trick unfortunately no longer works in the most recent version of EE. They changed the Slayer change spell so that it sets your magic damage resistance to 0 immediately before slamming you with the full 1500 damage. Only immunity to the damage opcode, immunity to the magic damage opcode (imposed after casting Protection from Magic Energy), or a minimum HP effect, could let you survive it.
    mislead is better for infinite backstabbing.

as long as the visible clone is OUTSIDE of enemy range, enemy true sight does squat.

My kensai sorceror assassin archer wizardslayer deathbringer was doing insane damage the last playthrough (some years ago, i'm afraid)
    (yes, this is possible, but I'd have to buy the EE version, (something i'm still debating, but probably will soon), and very, very complicated)

I am very tempted by the sorc kit...kensai dragon-diciple assassin archer wizard slayer deathbringer?

overpowered beyond all sanity...

This allows a Wizard Slayer/Druid to impose spell failure even on SCS liches who have PFMW active.

chain contingency cast on self, sunfire, delayed action fireball, delayed action fireball. blast through lich immunity and fry it. :smiley:

ring of ram works on all liches. using bag of holding to recharge immediately (almost all once per day items recharges in a bag of holding)

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @userunfriendly: It's worth pointing out that SCS liches will be buffed against both fire damage and magic damage, and will ignore Delayed Blast Fireball as well as the Ring of the Ram. Also, I'm not sure the Bag of Holding still recharges items in EE. And Wizard Slayer Fire Seeds require a lot less XP and questing.

@userunfriendly: It's worth pointing out that SCS liches will be buffed against both fire damage and magic damage, and will ignore Delayed Blast Fireball as well as the Ring of the Ram. Also, I'm not sure the Bag of Holding still recharges items in EE. And Wizard Slayer Fire Seeds require a lot less XP and questing.

My tests have not corroborated the Bag recharge for EE at all. That said, you still suffer spell failure to damage you're immune to, so something like Incendiary Cloud will still halt their spells even if they're immune to fire, so that's something.

breach first...then go to town using area effect...does that still work?

but yes, fireseeds is more convenient...
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919

Speaking about cheesy...if you want to, you could do the facebook connector and the twitter connector to get 5 badges in one day since you already got three others which earns the combo breaker badge.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited June 2016

mf2112 said:

Speaking about cheesy...if you want to, you could do the facebook connector and the twitter connector to get 5 badges in one day since you already got three others which earns the combo breaker badge.
    I have standards...i neither facebook or twitter. (no accounts) i do have some dignity. :wink:

I despise all forms of social media. I actually call my friends, using a phone. :P
    That is not a bad thing at all. I don't see any other quick badges to get without spamming, you did just get the 10 comments badge right now too so I think you only need one more.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/badges
    Post edited by mf2112 on

My tests have not corroborated the Bag recharge for EE at all. That said, you still suffer spell failure to damage you're immune to, so something like Incendiary Cloud will still halt their spells even if they're immune to fire, so that's something.
    Is Tactics mod available for EE? 'Cause Tactics does everything by scripts...miscasting magic will make smarter liches give you the finger (of death) and they'll unleash the kitchen sink on you...

for Tactics, I've used spawn control and improved azuredge to nuke the lich before it has a chance to cast protection from magic weapons...and if that failed, my sorc had to have breach, dispell, ruby ray or khelbens... (ruby ray to punch through absolute immunity...breach/dispell to drop all other protections)

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Some good ol' BG EE/SoD cheese: Cavalier is an awesome PC for cheapness: Their kit-related immunity to fear makes it possible to drink from Durlags Goblet without Protection from Fear (a minor benefit, granted, but still nice), while their immunity to poison also includes poison damage (other than the damage dealt by the effects of being poisoned), meaning they'll make certain fights in SoD much easier and allow you to tank in a Cloudkill spell (with the right level). This last one is especially great for (SoD spoilers inside)
    the battle at bridge fort. My Cavalier did almost all of the work, while the rest of the party stood outside the siege camp and only Danaher came in once to refresh the AoE.

I'm afraid my cheese is not of such a ripe vintage as some of the other on display here.
    Since when does Breach work on a lich? They're immune to level 5 spells, aren't they?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Abi_Dalzim SCS has a component that makes Breach work on liches.

Since when does Breach work on a lich? They're immune to level 5 spells, aren't they?

Ah, nearly forgot lich immunity. liches are immune to spells below a certain level. that's why when you want to smack them around, you must use dispell or remove magic. this is why inquisitors rock in bg2.

use breach on living mages, dispell or remove magic on liches. AFTER removing spell immunity (ruby ray, pierce shield, spell strike)

and i've been reading up on tactics, smarter liches and mages cast spell protection from SCROLLS. no interruption allowed while they're buffing.

this is why my sorc has BOTH ruby ray and khelbens.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Call Lightning from a level 30 druid in IWD is quite cheesy against any foe who made the unfortunate decision of standing around outside (or chasing you outside when you fled an indoors area), even in Heart of Fury mode. At level 30, Call Lightning does 32d8 damage per round, for 11 rounds. It's by far the most ridiculous level 3 spell I've ever seen.