Skip to content

Legacy of Bhaal mode workaround

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    lazutu said:

Third workday, guys! Not one person was assigned to fix the game-crippling/game-stopping bug (http://support.baldursgate.com/issues/22132). It's as we veteran players - whom this mode was made for and advertised to -don't exist.

This thing is chipping away my hope in humanity...

I poked around a bit and I don't think they show assignees for the public side of Redmine.
    lazutuJuliusBorisovBelgarathMTH
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Although it's understandable that waiting for a fix can be frustraiting, but the experience of the open beta testing of 2.0 version shows that if they haste the update, it can create new problems. Actually, this whole situation is a result of a shortage of time to test the Legacy of Bhaal mode in the latest build of the game.

So, waiting a little bit longer for a fix is better, because it gives more chances the problem will be fixed once and for all.
    Kivan_D
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited April 2016
    This is why you don't rush things. Releasing broken stuff and then fixing it two weeks down the line is WAY worse than releasing two weeks late. In my opinion, anyway.

At least in my case this whole fiasco has likely done irreparable damage to Beamdog's reputation. Two weeks of unplayability is more than enough reason never to give my money to that company again. I had such high hopes, but it seems even niche markets are not immune to the recent "release or die" mentality that has been plaguing so many video games. If they cite economic pressures as the reason for such behavior (as most do), the only way to change it is to exert pressure in the opposite direction and not reward it with your money.
  • lazutulazutu Member Posts: 118
    It seems that ninja update fixed the issue. Time to play?
    lazutu said:

It seems that ninja update fixed the issue. Time to play?

Can anyone confirm this? This would be a HUGE move. Can't test as not at home yet, would not want to get my hopes up in vain...
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    There was indeed update in Steam (small though). Have no time to check LoB right now though.
    No info on twitter or anywhere else. One would think a fix to a major issue like this would be publicized?
    edited April 2016
    Well, I tried to reintroduce the bug in both versions, unsuccessfully. The difficulty stays the same, and let me tell you, it's truly INSANE (Legacy of Bhaal level of insane) in BG2:EE. Starting dungeon has a gnome that casts a goddamn spell trap + abi-dhalzims... +4 elementals.
    Here's usual "Insane" (Tactics)
    Kivan_D
    edited April 2016
    Here's the Legacy of Bhaal INSANE:

With this level of difficulty I don't think we even need SCS/Tactics :)))
    Kivan_DGotural
    edited April 2016
    Tried it (BG1EE). I believe it works. Haven't managed to break it so far. And - yes - it IS hard!

UPD: well, this one requires some hard cheese artillery.
    lazutu
    edited April 2016
    My try is going to be an Evil Half-Orc Barbarian. The only negative thing before getting to HLA's are 2 proficiency points, I suppose. He must be evil because http://weidu.org/c2/README-ItemUpgrades.txt only evil heroes can use Unholy Reaver. As for armor, http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Ankheg_Plate_Mail I suppose (never tried), but later It's going to become Human Flesh/that yellow scales armor from The Ritual.

So what do we have so far from paladin:
    Immunity to fear - no (Rage for 5 rounds)
    Immunity to poison - yes (human flesh)
    Immunity to charm - no (Rage for 5 rounds)
    Immunity to hold - no (Rage for 5 rouns)
    Immunity to level drain - no (situational; Rage for 5 rounds))

Dispel on hit - yes (unholy reaver)
    50% magic resistance - yes (unholy reaver)
    20% cold & fire resist - no (Tactics spits on fire resist - spoilers - and we don't get that many cold att. mobs)
    Turn undead - no (kill undead - yes)
    +3 to hit and damage against undead/dragons/fiends - no (negated by HLA's; rage!)
    True sight & dispel spells - no (incredibly useful early, but can only used 3 times max in SoD).

Barbarian gets 20% resistance to crushing/slashing/piercing AND missile damage, a resistance that cannot be reduced. Sure, Armor of Faith tops that (25%), but with Tactics' spam of dispel magic, barbarian shines with this passive. Also, we get Rage, immunity to backstab, we move 2 points faster, and gets 19 CON/19 STR.

Sorry for the long rant, never tried Barbarian before, trying to prepare myself for LoB SoD mentally :) Best of luck to everyone on their run!!!

woowoovoodoo
    Hm, it went to Insane after first death for me.
    lazutu
    Home now, excitedly tried it out, aaaand....

...still bugged.

No change at all. Then again, I do not have Steam, but foolishly bought directly from Beamdog. Why they would roll out a Steam hotfix before the direct version is beyond me, but somewhat in line with the erratic behavior surrounding this entire issue.

Well, well. Guess that ray of hope was only someone playing with a flashlight.
    lazutu
    edited April 2016

Well, well. Guess that ray of hope was only someone playing with a flashlight.

Soon you might be saying the same while playing :))) getting my butt handed to me and lovin' it!)
    As someone who's been playing with SCS etc. cranked to 11 for years, what you linked so far of the new LoB does not scare me.

It does create a tingling sensation in some places, though.
  • Ark_ToleiArk_Tolei Member Posts: 69
    I just confirmed on my end that both bugs are still present in BG1. If a hotfix exists, it isn't universally applied.

I also found another interesting thing. Apparently if a creature loads with fatal damage already dealt it becomes a corpse with no items. That might be how the game loads up the "cosmetic" bodies.
    Kivan_Dlazutu
  • 40124012 Member Posts: 3
    look like they fixed bg 2 while bg is still bugged,can someone with both games installed confirm?
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    ha! Lazutu, you had my hopes up. I was about two seconds away from doing a happy dance and then I noticed Lord_Tansheron say it still doesn't work. I'll send a box of lucky charms to anyone that figures it out before the patch.
    It did get patched for me in Steam, and it was for BG1:EE only. I still cant reproduce the bug)
    the_sextein
  • Kivan_DKivan_D Member Posts: 12
    lazutu said:

It did get patched for me in Steam, and it was for BG1:EE only. I still cant reproduce the bug)

I also have the Steam version.
    When i tried my already existing LOB save (i had already downloaded the small update) the difficulty turned to Insane :'(
    So i started a new game with LOB difficulty and i saved at Friendly Arm Inn. I quited and loaded that save. The difficulty stayed LOB!
    Then i started a 3rd game and this time i went firstly to High Hedge and then to Beregost. This time i quicksaved. I closed the game and when i restarted i used the Continue button. LOB has gone...
    lazutu said:

Well, I tried to reintroduce the bug in both versions, unsuccessfully. The difficulty stays the same, and let me tell you, it's truly INSANE (Legacy of Bhaal level of insane) in BG2:EE. Starting dungeon has a gnome that casts a goddamn spell trap + abi-dhalzims... +4 elementals.

4012 said:

look like they fixed bg 2 while bg is still bugged,can someone with both games installed confirm?

I tested TOB (not SOA) and the results were the same...So my conclusion is that the bug remains and it's even more random than i thought...
    I guess you were just very very lucky Lazutu ;)

lazutu
    Damn it! Now I'm paranoid again)))
  • Kivan_DKivan_D Member Posts: 12
    edited April 2016
    You can check here: http://redmine.beamdog.com/projects/external-bugs/issues
    The LOB bug will be fixed (fingers crossed X) with the next update..in the meantime i could unlock some achievements in my steam version ^_^
    I think I've pinpointed the bug origin: leave the difficulty slider alone. If you dare to move Hard -> Insane, it will break your LoB save. Dont touch anything and you'll be able to play LoB-only, it seems.
    This whole thing reminded me of this scene:
    Most of us are in the second half of our lives, yet the fire still burns, still burns :)
    Kivan_DSethDavis
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited April 2016
    Did you try LoB during the previous version? Was it working? No.
    It had the same bug.

How can you say that a MODE that never perfectly worked is a GAME BREAKING bug?

You're behaving like a bunch of kids that want the new thing because it's "new".

I also would like to see it fixed, that's why I reported the bug before 2.0 came out. When it'll be solved, I'll gladly play it.

And fyi,
    lazutu said:

Here's the Legacy of Bhaal INSANE:

With this level of difficulty I don't think we even need SCS/Tactics :)))

LoB doesn't give prebuffs or whatsoever AI improvement. It just gives more levels, HP, ApR, etc.
    So your enemies will still be braindead if you don't install SCS/Tactics.
    bleusteelsemiticgoddess
    Too much hatred towards veterans, dude. Bad Dota 2 day?
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited April 2016
    I'm not trying to be childish. I love what I have seen of the game and have spread the word about the games launch in a few places. I have given my ultimate support by ordering the Collectors Edition. I am disappointed that I cannot play the game in LOB mode but I am trying my best to wait it out. Sometimes it helps to have friends in misery if you know what I mean.

I have played the original Baldur's Gate with SCS too many times to use insane mode by itself and SCS doesn't work with SOD. Also, the difficulty sliding around in general is not something that I want to deal with, it is a step back from the previous version. LOB mode was advertised as a feature in SOD and it doesn't work. It doesn't matter if it didn't work in the beta. I know that the dev team is aware of the problems with multiplayer and difficulty settings. I voiced my frustration earlier in the thread but I understand that game launches are not perfect and I am in no way bitter about the situation despite my earlier comment. I just really want to play my game. If the rumors are true then we might see a fix in about 6 days.

One other thing, I noticed Bengoshi posted a tweet from PD in another thread and it mentions that a more difficult setting than LOB mode is in the game. Maybe it's an unlockable mode, I don't think anyone knows for sure but it's exciting to think about.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    lazutu said:

Too much hatred towards veterans, dude. Bad Dota 2 day?

Coming from another veteran it can't be really considered hatred. Tbh, I also play only Insane, solo with SCS and Tactics.
    That's why I have high hopes for this mode, when it'll be finished.
    (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/48728/legacy-of-bhaal-difficulty-overpowered-rats-of-doom)
    My Dota mmr is fine for now ;d

@the_sextein I wasn't referring to you, more like to @Lord_Tansheron which started to sound like one of the unenthusiastic melodramatic people that visit this forum.
    I do apologize for being angry that the only thing I was excited for during this patch was DOA because apparently they added last-minute changes that could not go through QA because of the deadline.

Perhaps it's just my own twisted philosophy, but I am just not in the habit of rewarding people's bad decisions. Sure, if it's out of your hands I'm not going to give you a hard time - but if you make bad calls, it's not fate that's screwing stuff up it's those bad calls you made. And if you're a company, bad calls should result in angry consumers, and lost profits.
    That's not being "melodramatic", that's being a responsible consumer. I'm not off review-bombing or tweeting angry tweets about how I wish everyone involved got eaten by rabid hamsters (space or otherwise) - I'm voicing my disappointment and frustration in as calm and collected a manner as is possible for someone who got promised a cake and got a box with a note saying "cake comes in 14 days, meanwhile enjoy the box".

I realize that I'm a niche part of the audience in a niche genre, but that doesn't mean you can break promises and deliver faulty products. You can't make it, say you can't make it; don't put out something you know doesn't work. That's offensive, and completely deserving of a consumer response.
    semiticgoddess