Skip to content

[MOD] -Might and Guile- a tweak mod and kit pack for warriors and rogues.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    mashedtaters
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited April 2016
    You could always delay it for a few levels, say...levels 3, 5, 7. There needs to be some kind of balance brought about because hybrid kits like that would be OP otherwise. The simplest way to balance that would be to delay things, so that the base classes & other class kits would have time to catch up. By level 3, giving a mage "Cure Light Wounds" isn't such a big deal. Maybe even going with levels 2, 5, & 7 would work, actually. Cure light wounds at level 2 is an advantage considering all their other class skills/abilities, but NOT a huge one.
    mashedtaters
  • Abdel_AdrianAbdel_Adrian Member Posts: 430
    Very interesting. I lean more towards the ranger/mage getting divine spells when a ranger should, but maybe a way of averaging the spell levels out would be interesting. Divine spells only go up to lvl 7 whereas arcane go up to level 9, so ranger spells don't necessarily need to be the same level in arcane as they are in divine. I could see this being very powerful or very weak, especially the way ranger turned out in BG.
    Ardul
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    @subtledoctor
    OMG FREAK OUT!!!
    *passes out mumbling something about overpowering joy

I don't think that ranger/mages should have access to any stereotypical divine spells. My 2e pnp ranger/Mage didn't.

Essentially, he was just a fighter Mage that could use stealth and bows and wreak mighty havoc with his read minds ability!!!!!!! Muahahahahahaha!!!!! He also had an animal companion/familiar combo that he never got to use (was a dire wolf, talk about opd) because he did so much adventuring where the dire wolf was unwilling to go. No animal companions in BG, so that's cool.

Not really havoc wreaking, but you get the idea. He could cast arcane spells instead of divine spells. I think that adding divine spells, at least healing ones, which are universally prohibited to mages, would be overpowered. Giving him some unimportant and not-unbalancing Druid spells, though, like shelieghla, could give flavor without opdness. if you do that, it wouldn't really matter when you can cast them.

You could also do spells that are weaker or comparable to their wizard counterparts, such as animal summoning, flame blade, hold animal. I would hesitate with curing or healing or poison removal of any kind, except maybe (MAYBE) goodeberry because it's not really frequently used. It would probably be redundant to do spells that mages share, such as protection from fire or lightening. I might even consider barkskin as not opd simply because the Mage spell blur is comparable-ish. Any high level Druid spells are probably not needed because Mage spells become so ridiculous for fighter mages. Maybe ones that are comparable to or worse than mage spells...pixie dust, dolorous decay. Any higher would be particularly ridiculous.

Giving ranger spells when the ranger would get them is also a perfectly acceptable option. No one cares if your level 9 fighter/Mage can cast cure light wounds. You might have a problem though if the spellbook is already filled up with written-in Mage spells.

You...are...my...hero...
    *worships
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    You could tie it into FnP and give him limited access to plant and animal?

// ANIMAL
    CLERIC_HOLD_ANIMAL , 1
    CLERIC_BEAST_CLAW , 2
    CLERIC_SUMMON_INSECTS , 3

// PLANT
    CLERIC_ENTANGLE , 1
    CLERIC_SHILLELAGH , 1
    //CLERIC_GOOD_BERRIES , 1
    CLERIC_GOODBERRY , 2
    CLERIC_BARKSKIN , 2
    CLERIC_SPIKE_GROWTH , 3

Abdel_Adrianmashedtaters

Yeah - this is really a mage/thief. "Ranger" is simply the name of a thief kit I made.

I noticed :)
    I was wondering how you put this together. My first though was a fighter/mage and you made ranger a fighter kit, but then I noticed the XP. Thieves progress really fast, so I definitely no longer support getting spells exactly when a ranger would. Seems like a fun multiclass though.

edited April 2016
    Forgive me my ignorance...but I'm guessing that there is no way to change the XP progression of the thief class to coincide with a ranger's XP progression?

Edit: yes, I would remove cure wounds and call lightning.
    @mashedtaters Not without changing the baseclass thief's XP as well.
    @Abdel_Adrian
    Thank you for that.
  • GawainBSGawainBS Member Posts: 523
    I assume it uses the Thief Thac0? If that's the case, I would definitely NOT remove the Cure spells.
  • I wouldn't worry about the cure spells. A multiclass mage has better things to do with their low level spell slots than removing HP damage. At most, if gives an option to speed up resting with a really injured party by temporarily switching your memorized spells.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    When I said tie it in I meant more thematically rather than actually back end functionality. Haha. Good work though SD!
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Can you update the readme with all the descriptions of multiclass kits please?
    Oh, so it pretty much fights as a Fighter/Mage? That's cool.

On a seperate note: it would be nice if you added a note in the Bard kits that "song doesn't level up" equals "no new songs in IWD." It would just make it a tad clearer. :smile:
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182

lansounet said:

Can you update the readme with all the descriptions of multiclass kits please?

I already just did! (Admittedly, "just" meaning two days ago.) :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86011511/readme-M_n_G.html
    Component 500:

Multiclass Kits

This component liberalizes the multiclassing rules in targeted ways:

Enables humans to multiclass.
    Enables elves to be bards, fighter/clerics, cleric/thieves, cleric/rangers, and cleric/mages.
    Enables half-elves to be cleric/thieves.
    Enables dwarves to be cleric/thieves.
    Enables halflings to be fighter/clerics and cleric/thieves.
    This component also makes rangers unable to dual-class to cleric, unless they first find a special totem of the goddess Mielikki and use it to change their kit to a Woodscout of Mielikki. Multiclass ranger/clerics will automatically begin as Woodscouts, except elves who begin as Forestwalkers of Solonor Thelandira. (Note, in IWDEE and BG2EE, these ranger/cleric changes will only take effect if baldur.ini is set such that cleric/rangers receive all druid spells.)

Finally, in addition to Woodscouts and Forestwalkers, this component introduces nine more multiclass kits to the game. These are not available at character generation, rather you must use a totem or item to adopt the kit. They are:

Elven Bladesinger - for elven fighter/mages.
    Spellfilcher - for mage/thieves.
    Nightrunner of Mask - for cleric/thieves.
    Misadventurer of Brandobaris - for halfling cleric/thieves.
    Hearthguard of Arvoreen - for halfling fighter/clerics.
    Alaghor of Clangeddin - for dwarven fighter/clerics.
    Gloryblood of Tempus - for all fighter/clerics.
    Monitor of Mystra - for cleric/mages.
    Spellbender - for cleric/mages.
    ELVEN BLADESINGER: Among the Elven nations there is an order of warriors who wield power matched by few. Combining martial skill with magical prowess, Bladesingers have the resources to face nearly any threat. They master the use of long blades wielded in one hand, keeping the other free for spellcasting.

Abilities:
    – Bladesingers begin at level 1 with proficiency in Single-Weapon Style. At level 7, this automatically increases to specialization. They may reach grandmastery with long swords, scimitars, and katanas.
    – Once per day per 6 levels, a bladesinger may perform the Bladesong, a dance in which whirls a blade faster than the eye can follow, blocking incoming attacks and devastating enemies. Upon beginning the Bladesong, for 24 seconds, the bladesinger has a +1 bonus to thac0 per 5 levels, a -2 bonus to AC vs. melee attacks per five levels, one extra attack per round, faster movement rate, and all successful attacks do maximum damage.

Restrictions:
    – Bladesingers may only reach basic proficiency with other one-handed weapons and missile weapons. They may not become proficient with two-handed weapons or in any other fighting style.

SPELLFILCHER: The Spellfilchers are hidden society of very specialized thieves. They hone their abilities toward a dangerous goal: stealing magic from wizards. To that end, Spellfilchers have a few special tricks they can employ when confronted by angry mages.

Abilities:
    – Any target struck by a Spellfilcher in melee combat must save vs. rods/wands or suffer a 33% chance of miscast magic for 3 rounds.
    – Spellfilchers may cast the priest spell "Silence 15' Radius" to prevent an enemy from casting spells.
    – At 5th level, Spellfilchers may cast a special variant of "Spell Turning" which lasts for 12 hours. It will only turn back a single spell.
    – At 9th level Spellfilchers become innately and permanently protected by the effect of the spell "Non-detection."

Restrictions:
    – None

RANGER/MAGE: Yeah - ranger/mage. (Hint, you have to start out as a thief/mage. This component is EE-only!)

Abilities:
    – Bonuses to hit points and thac0 compared to thief/mages.
    – Limited access to thief abilities: may only use Hide in Shadows, Move Silently, Find Traps, and Detect Illusions.
    – May cast Goodberry innately, and has 3 druid spells each of levels 1-3 automatically added to the wizard spellbook.

Restrictions:
    – Limited to Good alignments.

SPELLBENDER: Spellbenders make a science of mapping the ways to bypass Mystra's restrictions. Practicing as generalist clerics and studying arcane magery, they learn to manipulate the intersection of those two areas of magic. They may sacrifice a memorized wizard spell to instead create one of numerous divine effects; and they may sacrifice a memorized cleric spell to create an arcane effect. Some energy is lost in the translation - the improvisational effects must be spells of lower level than the one sacrificed. (It is unknown what happens to the lost energy - some believe this practice has contributed to the recent rise of wild magic and sorcerers. Spellbenders must be wary, as they are apt to be persecuted by Mystra's Monitors.)

Abilities:
    – Spellbenders receive the "Arcane Weaving" priest spells of levels 2-7, which allow them to cast wizard spells of one level lower.
    – Spellbenders receive the "Divine Weaving" wizard spells of levels 2-7, which allow them to cast wizard spells of one level lower.

Contact Information
    (...)

That's only 4 of the 9(or 11) mentionned kits.
    Swifty_Mageelansounet
  • Swifty_MageeSwifty_Magee Member Posts: 229
    edited April 2016

A first public release of F&P might be mere hours away! :smiley:

I really hope that's true! I don't want to pester Grammarsalad, but I've been waiting for the first public release of FnP all week!
    IchigoRXC
    Swifty_MageeIchigoRXC
  • RangeltoftRangeltoft Member Posts: 83
    First off I must say that I really like this mod! Very nicely done!
    But a few things are not working out for me:
    Ranger/Mage (awesome btw!) only gets 1pip for each weapon, don't know if this is as it is intended?
    Mage Hunter doesnt have the max 17 Str/Con limit on character creation
    Beastmaster revision only gets the additional weapons, no shapeshift or summon spirit wolf.

This mod has made it even harder to decided what character to run, want to try a full run with Sniper,Spellbender,Spellfilcher,Mage hunter (beastmaster aswell, if there is a way to get the revised version to work). You sir have made my BG life even harder! ;)
    IchigoRXC
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636

First off I must say that I really like this mod! Very nicely done!
    But a few things are not working out for me:

Ranger/Mage (awesome btw!) only gets 1pip for each weapon, don't know if this is as it is intended?
    Don't know if intended, but mages only ever get 1 pip in any weapon. It stands to reason ranger/mages also aren't weapon masters. lol
    You can assign only 1 pip to a weapon on character creation.
  • RangeltoftRangeltoft Member Posts: 83

just made a new one to check, and no, they do not get the 2 free pips, atleast not when using the book to change to Ranger/Mage.

That, at least, is an easy fix.

Is it? How do you do something like that?