Skip to content

How to use the Spectacles of Spectacle...

Hi all, I'm unsure on the usage of the Zeviak's spectacles? Whenever I try to cast it on a party member or NPC, I get "Uneffected by effects from Spectacles of Spectacle" 'error' message...

What am I doing wrong? How do I do it right? I want to see/pull a creature...

Comments

• MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    You just have them equipped, if there is anything to pull you will see it. Then use just the spectacles on the creature to pull it.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    @ThunderSoul

There's a "tutorial" of sorts in the same area you get the spectacles in.

ONce you get the spectacles, put them on.
    You'll see a shadowy/ghostly thing walking around the Inn which you couldn't see before.
    Use the spectacles on that ghostly thing and it'll be drug into the "real world" and you'll interact with it in some way.

You might consider loading a saved game from around that time period and trying it out.

Keep in mind you'll have to figure out / find where these things are. You can't see them if you don't have the spectacles on...and they're spread all throughout the game from the prolog all the way up to chapter 12.
    Moradin
  • alaundoalaundo Member Posts: 131
    So its intended that there are more creatures then charges?
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Absolutely.

And some of those creatures are beneficial, some are not beneficial and some are inbetween.

You'll need to play with the spectacles either through multiple playthroughs or through saved game states to figure out what you feel the best "bang for the buck" is with using the spectacles. Each of the encounters is unique and provides unique dialog and circumstances.
    woowoovoodooMoradinkaguana
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    can someone list all the different encounters?
  • selkyraselkyra Member Posts: 54
    Here is what I have encountered so far:

Coastway Crossing: near the stone statues is a gauth which will attack you no matter what.
    Forest of wyrms, second cave area: Greater shadow which you can *persuade* to attack the bugbears. Alternatively you can fight it yourself (I didn't fight it so I don't know what happens then)
    Coalition camp: east of personal site is a genie merchant who sells useful gear.
    Dead man's pass: Greater Earth elemental and Raenndra. I don't know what these guys do because I didn't have any charges left o my spectacles.
    wdrosejr989Noobacca
  • SkydogSkydog Member Posts: 111
    Still have to try no. 3 and 4. I've run out of charges way too early.

- earth elemental and tiefling encounter yields a magic ring;
    - there's someone (don't remember exactly) in the underground area, gives an amulet;
    - a planetar (sort of) in Hell;
    - a fiend in Hell as well
  • laeknirlaeknir Member Posts: 58
    Can you sell them with 1 charge, then re-buy them fully recharged - like you could with wands that have charges?
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    Also @Skydog, on the same note the gauth at Coastway Crossing yielded a Ring of flame resistance for me. The first encounter in the elf song should definitely be skipped though.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    @laeknir Nope, nobody will buy them.
    semiticgoddess
  • laeknirlaeknir Member Posts: 58

@laeknir Nope, nobody will buy them.

Aw, bummer. Have to make careful choices, then. Or try out different things on new playthroughs.
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    edited April 2016
    In addition to the options listed already, there's a chance to use them right before the final battle, as well. I had used up all my charges by then, so I'm not sure if it's worth it, but you may want to consider holding onto at least one charge until the stuff hits the fan.
    So I'll perhaps start a quick run through the game on story mode, checking out all different options to compose a comprehensive list, figuring out the best three options. Unless somebody beats me to it. :tongue: This forum is full of ninjas. :smile:
    Noobacca
  • gnaumiecgnaumiec Member Posts: 62
    In the underground tunnels, in the area beyond the dragon ghost...
    there is a lich you can pull into your relm. I felt kinda bad about it, he has plans for revenge and destruction, but he gave me a ring of regeneration, so its all good!
    markzaku
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    OMG! This is so awesome. They've been sitting in my inventory since acquired.

I love sneaky stuff like this in games <3
  • gnaumiecgnaumiec Member Posts: 62
    @GrimLefourbe

Now I know what I'm going to do different on my next play through!
    That robe sounds too good to pass up, and my good aligned party should have no qualms about killing a lich!
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    edited April 2016
    Just incase people are particularly upset about not being able to use the spectacles on everything it is possible to spawn in a set of glasses with more charges:

C:CreateItem("BDMISC01",20)

woowoovoodoo
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    selkyra said:

Coastway Crossing: near the stone statues is a gauth which will attack you no matter what.
    Forest of wyrms, second cave area: Greater shadow which you can *persuade* to attack the bugbears. Alternatively you can fight it yourself (I didn't fight it so I don't know what happens then)
    Coalition camp: east of personal site is a genie merchant who sells useful gear.
    Dead man's pass: Greater Earth elemental and Raenndra. I don't know what these guys do because I didn't have any charges left o my spectacles.

With the right dialogue choices, the gauth can be recruited to attack the Crusaders in the final fight
    VarwulfNoobaccasemiticgoddess
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    edited April 2016

@gnaumiec

If you kill the lich, you can get its robe, it's a 5 AC robe that gives 1cast/day of Spell Sequencer. Very strong at this point of the trilogy
    Plus after freeing the Lich you get attacked by a watcher ghost yielding another item - unique strong crossbow
    justfeelinathome
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2016

Sooo, here's what Cheetah, the speedy Halfling Shadowdancer found on his run through the game with spectacles on, start to finish:

1. Al-Alai (Chapter 7, Elfsong Tavern; 6000 XP)
    2. Gauth (Chapter 8, Coastway Crossing, North-West; Can be convinced to join the final Battle with you (needs confirmation); otherwise 6000 XP and Ring of Fire Resistance)
    3. Greater Shadow (Chapter 9, Bugbear Caverns in Wyrms Forest; Can be convinced to fight the Bugbears for you; otherwise nets 3000 XP, no loot)
    4. Nazramu (Chapter 10, Allied Siege Camp East; Sells Wizzard Hat, Bracers of the Shuttered Lid, Dervish Crescent +2, Cloverleaf, Ring of Free Action, Ring of Purity, Amulet of Protection, Necklace of Form Stability, Dusty Rose Ioun Stone, Bracers of AC 5 and Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise; if killed nets 10000 XP and the Jesters Bracers)
    5 & 6. Greater Earth Elemental AND Raeanndra (Chapter 10, Dead Mans Pass, North-East; pulling one does not pull the other one as well; Earth Elemental attacks after dialogue and nets 4 Emeralds and 11000 XP, the Tiefling gives you the Ring of the Tiny Fiend as a reward and, if killed, also nets 2500 XP, gems, potions a Studded Leather Armor +2, Wazikashi +1 and Ninjato+1 )
    7. Zhadroth (Chapter 10, Kanalgym; this Lich gives you the Ring of Regeneration as a reward before teleporting away and, if killed, nets 22000 XP, the ring and the Robe of Arcane Aptitude)
    8. Vidyadhar (Chapter 10, Underground River, North-East; this Rakshasa gives you an amulet called Modron Heart as a reward if you solve his riddle and, if killed, nets 10000 XP, the amulet, a scroll of Protection from Magic and a Scimitar +3)
    9. Idyletia (Chapter 12, Avernus Entance; teleports away after finishing of a green and a red Abishai; if killed, nets 15000 XP, no loot)
    10. Xhost (Chapter 12, Avernus Elevator; attacks on sight nets 12000 XP, no loot)

If you want to know what any single one of the items does, check out this awesome list: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49809/list-of-new-magical-items and do yourself a favor in using the search engine of your browser, so you don't spoil yourself about all the items.

While I tried to be thorough, it's quite possible that I might have missed something, so if you know that I did, please speak up, so that I can update this comment!

For me, number 4, 6 and 7 are the stars of the show, obviously, with number 8 as a runner-up.

Also, @Purudaya
    could you tell me, how you convinced the Gauth? Because none of the Dialogue options seemed to do the trick for me, even though I had high charisma.
    I'm not exactly sure what the dialogue tree was, but I ultimately just told him that there were a bunch of Crusaders he could toy with up north instead of attacking me. I was also playing a fighter/mage, so it could be that the dialogue was dependent on my class or intelligence (as a lot of the new ones are in SoD). Sorry I couldn't help you further :(
    geddoe
    edited April 2016
    Queegon said:

@gnaumiec

If you kill the lich, you can get its robe, it's a 5 AC robe that gives 1cast/day of Spell Sequencer. Very strong at this point of the trilogy
    Plus after freeing the Lich you get attacked by a watcher ghost yielding another item - unique strong crossbow
    Don't know why I forgot adding that in, but I did! Thanks.

Also @Puradaya, thanks for your feedback. I didn't get that option on my play through. Now I've taken three different characters there, a fighter mage, a mage and a fighter. Each had high intelligence, but that warrior didn't get the option. Maybe there`s other classes that get this as well, but mage combinations do the trick.
    Purudaya
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Member Posts: 24
    Where do you find the spectacles?
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    ShaunIOW said:

Where do you find the spectacles?

In the common room of one of the inns of Baldur's Gate. There is an NPC "WHOA"ing at stuff. He has them.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Member Posts: 24
    Cheers
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited April 2016
    @Purudaya said:

selkyra said:

With the right dialogue choices, the gauth can be recruited to attack the Crusaders in the final fight
    I chose that option and the Gauth never showed up. At least I don't remember it showing up, but there was so much going on that I could have missed it. Where does it appear in the final battle?
    Post edited by Mortianna on
  • Wraith_SarevokWraith_Sarevok Member Posts: 130
    Easy fix for accidentally wasting your charges: Use either the console or GatekeeperEE to give yourself another pair of spectacles.

If for some reason that doesn't work (Deck of Many Things), you can find the variable controlling the item and reset it.
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2016
    Wait, there's actually more than the first three you encounter?
    And the first three are just boring 'lulz I attack you' type of forgettable spirits?
    And you can actually miss out on a decent merchant and interesting options toward the end of you're doing due diligence and seeking these initial things out by having the spectacles equipped all the time causing you to run out of charges early on in the game by doing what you are supposed to be doing regarding them in the first place?

Eh.. seems like poor design to me. Ought to have more charges (Enough for all) or atleast all of the spirits re-written so that it's not just a 'meh' disappointment of having the cliche 'spirit attacks you' for the entirety of this little questline.
    100% honesty here - had I not stumbled across this thread I would have forever thought that it was just the initial ones that I encountered and continue to just go through the motions of encountering them on replays and then equipping a better, proper helmet once I was done with them. (There's enough Ioun stones in this expansion to kit out even non helmet wearers afterall)

Might have to indeed just cheat and use Gatekeeper or whatever on subsequent plays.
    Kilivitz