Skip to content

What kind of kobolds do you prefer?

DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
edited April 2016 in Off-Topic
  1. What kind of kobolds do you prefer?26 votes
    1. horrible mine-dwelling rat monsters like the ones in a certain video game
      11.54%
    2. wannabe dragons with sorcerer blood and an inferiority complex
      46.15%
    3. Tucker's Kobolds
        0.00%
    4. I'm not really sure what you mean by "kobolds"
        0.00%
    5. other
      42.31%

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Urd

Because flying kobolds with short ivory horns, red-rimmed eyes, flattened noses, batlike wings, mottled yellow to brick-red scales and no connection to dragons whatsoever are just lovely. <3
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    There is only one correct answer to this:

• brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Vampire-kobolds all the way
    Properties:
    1. Blood-sucking and viscious attack
    2. more agile
    3. vampire-kobold group can dodge a fireball
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    My modded Baldur's Gate 1 is full of super kobolds! Some of them come at you with exceptionally accurate short swords and will give you a THAC0 penalty of 20 with each hit. Others are shielded by Minor Globe of Invulnerability and will send Lightning Bolts at you on sight. However, my favorite super kobold is the one that summons a copy of himself each time he hits you (and the copies can summon other copies). Furthermore, the kobold and all the copies wield Arrows of Detonation, so they can hit multiple targets with each attack!
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597

I like this friendly fellow.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    To me, Kobolds will always be the dog-like creatures I encountered and fought in the caves underneath the 'Horror on the Hill'.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited April 2016
    Because there's no "I love them all" option.
    Also, Pun-Pun. Gotta love Pun-Pun.

I've got a particular fondness for kobolds who can mix a bit of every option. Tucker's kobold are supposed to be weak but their defining element is rather how nasty they fight, which dragon wannabes can totally do. Also, that whole mine-dwelling bit fits well enough with the concept of weak social dragons : what they can't get by pillaging entire cities, they get by killing/enslaving miners or even outright mining it themselves.

I've been meaning to play that Kari the (Half-)Kobold mod but i can't run my old bg2 install.
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827

There is only one correct answer to this:

Nac Mac Feegle are not Kobolds. They are a type of Pixie. Just don't ever say that to one, if you value having all your teeth in your mouth.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Pictsies*

It is a pune, or play on words.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I generally dislike when an entire race are made into a generic mold, so I like the kind of kobolds Deekin represent. Meaning kobolds, just like other races, are different from eachother and can be fighters, bards, mages etc.

Also, I have no idea what "tucker's" kobolds are like. Never heard of it before.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    edited April 2016
    I voted for the yipping kind you find In BG1. That cut-scene when they sneak up on the farm where the little girl is going out to play always sent chills through me.

However, I loved Deekin in NWN. He was an absolute hoot.

You can see the original BG1 Kobold scene here at 4.17

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIVsIEt4u5g
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @SmilingSword Where I come from, pixies are things like tinkerbell :I

@Diogenes42 I see what you did there :P
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited April 2016

@SmilingSword Where I come from, pixies are things like tinkerbell :I

I think pixies and fairies and the like are this most everywhere nowadays. There roots are darker though, or at least it's the case in every folklore about which I know some things (french and british which is, I admit, not a lot). Pixies and fairies and kobolds and trolls and goblins and leprechauns and korrigans and what have you, they all tend to have had this in common : they were jerks. Some where mostly benevolent jerk while other were outright bad but I've yet to read a folk's tale about nice fantasy creatures, especially when they're fun-sized.

And they've all changed a lot. They sort of had to, too, because their old depictions were often vague and you'd have had a hard time finding two agreeing on about anything, really. So recent, mass media got hold of one, settled for one depiction (rearranged to fit in modern tales) and that revised version got copied all over.
  • OudynOudyn Member Posts: 74
    Kobolds in the games I DM are the wannabe dragon sorcerers of modern D&D, but also have shades of Tucker. They're clever, and good at traps, tricks and geurilla warfare. Essentially, think fanatical terrorist mini-lizards, and you've more or less got it.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I'm a big fan of kobolds claiming draconic heritage played silly in games where it's silly, but I also love when a good role player can avoid playing it for jokes and do a dead serious take on "inheritor of ancient power" (with a build to back it up so no one's laughing for long!), as a DM I'd say the latter has always been infinitely more rewarding to see done well.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Ones that are dead.