Skip to content

Trent Oster's interview about Dragonspear controversies

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
An interview with Trent Oster has been published.

About Mizhena

“If there’s an aggressive agenda that’s being pushed into someone’s face, I disagree with that,” Beamdog CEO Trent Oster tells Develop. “It needs to be representative. You need to tackle any social milieu appropriately, and aggressive agenda pushing is incorrect. It’s not the right way to do it. All you do is strengthen the resistance.”

“[The revelation that she is transgender] is what we consider three dialogue nodes deep,” Oster explains. “We put an arbitrary limit on our writers for our support characters of just three nodes deep, just to control wordcount. Siege of Dragonspear is over 500,000 words of dialogue, so we had to put limits on writers so they didn’t create more.

“There’s two sides of the argument [against Mizhena’s inclusion]. One is ‘I don’t want a transgender character in my game’, and while I don’t agree with it, I guess I can understand that perspective.

“The other is that the character goes from ‘Hi, how are you doing?’ to ‘I’m transgender’ in three conversation lines. That’s a really shallow way of telling me a life-shattering event. The transgender people I know are not going to blurt that out as quickly as that – it’s going to take a while, you’re going to have to get to know them.

“Obviously we wanted to explore her story in a broader, deeper way, but the three-line limitation cut it off. If anyone was going to get to the fact that this character is transgender, they had to do it pretty fast. Upon my review of the character, I think that within three lines it’s actually quite well done.”

“We have this character, we have a series of reasons why she is the way she is, it’s obviously captured the attention of a lot of people, so we should expand her story,” he says.

“To us, having a transgender character wasn’t that big a deal,” he says. “In a world where there’s half-orcs – so a human and an orc had an offspring together – and dragons can transform into humans and gods can walk the earth as male or female, whatever choice they make – it just didn’t seem like a big detail to us.

“Personally, I think it shows a progressive world view that we didn’t think a transgender character was a big deal. It was just a character to us, part of the world, helping to drive the story along.”

“I firmly believe that there is no ‘they’, there’s no group with a specific agenda,” says Oster. “There’s just a bunch of individuals – each with their own sensitivities, likes and dislikes – and the internet seems to package people together. You see a tempest in a teapot.

“When a topic blows up on the internet, it’s hard to tell how ‘big’ it is. I think social media has created this echo chamber world, where everyone lives in their own little social group and are essentially self-reinforcing.

“All of my news feeds are centred on video games, so when something happens in that space, it seems huge. If I talk to someone else, they don’t know about it, they’ve been talking about the Panama Papers – and I’m like, ‘what are the Panama Papers?’. Because I’ve been in my little universe and it’s different to theirs.”

About harassment

“When we look at feedback, we listen to our community of Baldur’s Gate fans first and foremost,” he says. “If the internet freaks out about something – well, it’s the internet and pretty much hates everything. If our fans bring it up, though, we’ll take it very seriously.

“If someone challenges me on something in our games, if someone expresses a concern about something, I’m going to take another look and think about whether we made the right decision and should stay by it?”

“It hits everybody in the studio differently,” he says. “For the person directly receiving attacks, its obviously overwhelming – and it makes me really mad. There are few things in the world that truly get me angry. Watching someone close to me get attacked drives me up the wall.

“It took me a long time to draft a statement to respond. I wanted to take the time to calm down, go over it, get back to the core issues that had been raised and address them. I maintain that for a three-line dialogue limits, this was well executed. If we remove that limit, we can execute it even better.

“If other developers ever face this level of harassment, I suggest they calm down, take a step back, wait and then prepare a statement. Tell your staff on where you stand on the issue. If someone hijacked your game and inserted their own agenda, something not approved by the company, you’ve got to figure out what to do from an internal management perspective. But if it’s representative of the company’s views, and you agree with it, you need to stand up and support that person. Personally, I think throwing someone under a bus is a bad thing to do.”

About the Minsc's line

“I had played the game quite a bit and never seen that line, because it’s a rare select line,” he says. “You have a click a lot of times before he fires it off. After the reaction, I sat and clicked on him until the line appeared, and I agreed that, y’know what, this doesn’t actually make sense.”

About refugees

“The fact is, there are refugees in the world,” he says. “Anywhere where there is a horrible conflict, there will be refugees. It fits with the story we’re telling: there’s an army forming in the north, forcing people into the ranks and displacing others – that generates refugees.

“We needed an instigating event to get you our of Baldur’s Gate – otherwise your character just sits there, getting fat. That instigating event is the pressure caused by people fleeing the army in the north.

“Even given the reality of today with Syrian refugees, I don’t think we’d go back and change it because it’s part of our story. To use the usual disclaimer: any resemblance to actual events, persons living or dead… and so on.”

About writers

“We know Baldur’s Gate through and through,” he says. “There’s a number of us here who have been through the development of the original Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights and other BioWare content – we live this stuff.

“Ultimately, the writers write the dialogue. In order to make interesting dialogue, you take your personal experiences, your beliefs, what interests you and what drives you, and that’s going to feed into whatever character you create.

“Individual writers are going to bring different things to your game. That’s why you have editors, who edit content down to make it fit within the overall game.”

“Ultimately, there’s a story we’re trying to tell,” he says. “Along the way of telling that story, there’s a core cast and there’s supporting characters. And it’s all about telling the best story we possibly can, and making characters that are interesting, believable and engaging. If following those priorities leads you to a transgendered character, or a female or male lead, or a gay or straight character, it’s what’s right for the story.

“My advise to developers would be to be sensitive about these issues – apparently, a transgender character is still a big deal in the modern world. If you’re going to do it, do it well, do it in-depth and do it respectfully.”

http://www.develop-online.net/interview/beamdog-ceo-we-never-thought-a-transgender-character-was-a-big-deal/0219033

Comments

• LorvaylinLorvaylin Member Posts: 44
    bengoshi said:

An interview with Trent Oster has been published.

The transgender people I know are not going to blurt that out as quickly as that – it’s going to take a while, you’re going to have to get to know them.

LOL

Man in a dress and wig-"Trent we've known each other for a few weeks now and I think you should know something"

Trent-"ohh errr ummm what could this be I errrr"

Man in a dress and wig-"I wasn't actually born a woman"

Trent-"reeeeeeaaaaallyy oh I would have never of guessed well thanks for letting me know".

'Chuckles' :smile:
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Need to add options for the infamous "I get offended" conversation though. 5 options and every one amount to "I am offended". I am sure a clever female character would have come up with a snappy comeback that turns the whole thing around on the fellow yelling "wench".

Good statement by the fellow, though.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Some wise words from our good friend the talking oyster.
    Literally have not broken any rules except maybe the MUST BE A LIBERAL 'PROGRESSIVE' rule
    Chidojuan said:

@Lorvaylin Easy now, let's keep the politics out of this. There is no need for this thread to explode.

Trent "personally, I think it shows a progressive world view"

is that political??
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2016
    I was at the store today and started talking to the cashier about things and then she finally said to me:

"Sorry I can't say anything more, I'm at my three node limit." I didn't know what she was talking about before but it makes sense now.

But seriously, I understand wanting to limit dialogue but shouldn't you have as many people talking as much as needed? If you have 50 guys with 100s of lines or something maybe drop a few NPCs instead of limiting the lines of each? Oh well I don't know just seems strange to set a hard limit on your character's depth.
    Lorvaylin said:

Chidojuan said:

@Lorvaylin Easy now, let's keep the politics out of this. There is no need for this thread to explode.

is that political??
    It is, actually. Not sure why a progressive world view form our world, needs to get added to a fantasy world, though. People play games to avoid real world crap.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Lorvaylin said:

Rawgrim said:

Lorvaylin said:

Chidojuan said:

is that political??

People play games to avoid real world crap.
    Bingo
    then why are games that satirize real world "crap" popular?
    edited April 2016

Lorvaylin said:

Rawgrim said:

Lorvaylin said:

Chidojuan said:

is that political??

People play games to avoid real world crap.
    Bingo
    then why are games that satirize real world "crap" popular?
    Because sometimes people like to play those kinds of games too. And real world satires are rarely fantasy rpgs that use the d&d rules. Racing games are popular too. Those aren't satires...
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    edited April 2016
    @Lorvaylin @Rawgrim I guess the statement about a progressive world view is whatever you want it to be, but Beamdog is in Canada, and progressive doesn't mean the same thing as it does to those in the United States. Just trying to keep things civil.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    What real world crap are you referring to here?
    Chidojuan said:

@Lorvaylin @Rawgrim I guess the statement about a progressive world view is whatever you want it to be, but Beamdog is in Canada, and progressive doesn't mean the same thing as it does to those in the United States. Just trying to keep things civil.

I am in Norway actually. One of the most progressive countries in the world.

What real world crap are you referring to here?

Anything that "takes me out of" the fantasy world and reminds me of the real world. The gamergate line, for example. I was speaking more in general terms, though.
    @Rawgrim My apologies, I made an incorrect assumption about your country of origin.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I like this argument because I haven't heard a single complaint about everything else that's immersion breaking in SoD and the previous BG games?

Did you notice Corwin says "Sometimes I dream I'm a chaotic good elfe" ? I haven't read a single complaint about it, and that's awfully immersion breaking.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473

Did you notice Corwin says "Sometimes I dream I'm a chaotic good elfe" ? I haven't read a single complaint about it, and that's awfully immersion breaking.

Seriously? The BG games have always made external references, but that's pretty bad. When does she say that? Is that one of her clickable reactions?

I like this argument because I haven't heard a single complaint about everything else that's immersion breaking in SoD and the previous BG games?

It is immersion breaking. You are right.

The gamergate line was no doubt added as a simple joke. No malice behind it. But in this day and age it just rips open a wound that should be left to heal (if it is able). I think that is why that line gets focused on a lot.
    Rawgrim said:

The gamergate line was no doubt added as a simple joke. No malice behind it. But in this day and age it just rips open a wound that should be left to heal (if it is able). I think that is why that line gets focused on a lot.
    That's why they're taking it out.
    Chidojuan said:

Rawgrim said:

That's why they're taking it out.
    I know. And kudos to them for doing it too.
    @Rawgrim Then I extend the hand of friendship to you sir, because I'm happy that they're doing it too.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    He's clearly referencing a personal worldview re: not thinking that Mizhena was a big deal. That does not equal intentionally inserting an agenda into a game to force it on others. Unless, what, you're arguing that progressives shouldn't be allowed to make games? You have a huge, well-reasoned interview and grab onto two words in order to twist this into a so-called SJW conspiracy.

As a progressive, I don't think trans inclusion is a big deal either. That's all the guy said.
    Chidojuan said:

@Rawgrim Then I extend the hand of friendship to you sir, because I'm happy that they're doing it too.

Well I hope we can be friends even if they don't remove the line.
    Purudaya said:

Unless, what, you're arguing that progressives shouldn't be allowed to make games?

Make you're own damn games then and score all the political points you want, don't take my beloved Baldur's gate and turn it into orgy of 'progressiveness'
    Purudaya said:

Lorvaylin said:

Purudaya said:

Unless, what, you're arguing that progressives shouldn't be allowed to make games?

Make you're own damn games then and score all the political points you want, don't take my beloved Baldur's gate and turn it into orgy of 'progressiveness'
    You're in luck, because nobody has done anything to "your" beloved Baldur's Gate. It's right here for 10 bucks:

https://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga

You can literally play it right now and forever in its unaltered form. What are you so angry about?
    They did mess around with the EE versions, though. Having a hard time playing it now due to the cartoony sprites (not the black outline thing).
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2016
    Rawgrim said:

Purudaya said:

Lorvaylin said:

Purudaya said:

You're in luck, because nobody has done anything to "your" beloved Baldur's Gate. It's right here for 10 bucks:

https://www.gog.com/game/baldurs_gate_the_original_saga

You can literally play it right now and forever in its unaltered form. What are you so angry about?
    They did mess around with the EE versions, though. Having a hard time playing it now due to the cartoony sprites (not the black outline thing).
    I can't tell the difference myself, but that's actually a legitimate criticism. SoD has not altered the narrative content of BG:EE, however.

I would be very surprised if an upcoming patch doesn't add options re: sprite smoothing that some people are seeing.