Skip to content

A new screenshot approaches!

Comments

• Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    @Kerozevok Yes, if this color is inappropriate in your opinion that must implies that about 80% of the players don’t like it. I see your point now, thanks :)

Btw. If I were you I would just make it 90% or even 95% to show those blue bastards that there are only few of them.
    FredjoGodKaiserHellQuartz
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    No need to argue guys, just have a look at the thread Likes.
    mlneveseRandall
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214

Agreed. I want to see what else people will complain about on the new screenshots ;)
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    It's not because people "Like" the first post that they like the blue... they may like the screenshot only.

And for me, that blue is too flashy for BG1
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    Give it a rest with the blue already. At this point I feel confident that someone's gonna have a non-blue GUI mod ready the moment the game comes out.
    DiscoCat
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    @Moira That true, the nobles liked these colors because they are very showy...
  • Rush_that_speaksRush_that_speaks Member Posts: 36
    Guys, I have no idea which color people like and which don't. I was expecting changes in GUI (also visual changes) and I’m satisfied with this blue color. I can see tough that some people here don’t share my enthusiasm.
    I just don’t like when someone pulls a number out of a hat and use it in his argument to show that people who have different opinion are in minority.
  • LaflammeLaflamme Member Posts: 54
    I don't care about the new colours of the interface, but I do care about its unbalanced composition. The pause button and the gold border on the right will get fixed before release, the repeated texture on left and right also I guess, but still, we have a lot of wasted space on the left and middle panes, and none at all on the right one. Personally I would even things a bit, maybe make the buttons squares on the left pane, maybe add a quicksave button also, for iPad at least, add more quickslots to the middle pane, maybe move the search button there as well (as if it was a character ability). I understand the developers want to keep everything related to controlling your party on the right pane (select, select all, AI toggle), so I wouldn't touch those.
    Rhulqdahr
  • pemapema Member Posts: 12

He isn't so great. Kept dying to Ice Trolls like a chump. Dorn had to lay down some serious damage to make up for his wussitude.

So, there will be Ice Trolls in BG1:EE? In the Cloudpeaks? Or the Black Pits? Or even both? ;)

CrazedSlayer
  • RhulqdahrRhulqdahr Member Posts: 28
    edited September 2012
    Laflamme said:

[...] maybe add a quicksave button also, for iPad at least [...]

I don't have an iPad, but that's actually a great idea. Guess that would make the life of iPad players much easier.
    Laflamme
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Nobles liked blue because it was extremely expensive to produce in the middle ages.
    Jaxsbudgie
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited September 2012
    @Space_hamster damn you, you beat me to the history lesson.

More specifically, it was expensive to produce because the materials required to produce it were extremely rare. That's why there was this weird brief artistic movement on the study of "Blue".

Purple was the same way; you could only produce that specific shade of purple (closer to maroon) by grinding the shell of a specific crustacean, and that crustacean was hard to find.
    Jaxsbudgie
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I just like that the screenshot matches reality. Xzar is dead, again. All is as it should be.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    @Kerozevok The reason he said that is because as people who supposedly don't know much about the Middle Ages, we would commonly associate browns, greys and golds with the Middle Ages. Besides even as somebody who knows about the fancy clothes of nobles, I'd never play a medieval game with a brightly coloured GUI and go "THAT'S MEDIEVAL SON!".

In the Middle Ages brown colours were considered the colours of the feeble and peasants weren't allowed to even wear colourful items.

Colours had very distinct meanings (of which I don't remember) so nobles wore things distinctive to represent a certain idea and as people have stated they were costly depending on the rarity of materials. I believe they used woad to create blue.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125

I should edit myself: for the "Likes" I meant all except the 1st post.
    Not because it sucks or whatever, but because its obvious that the users open the thread > see the screenshot > put a Like.
    After that, they realize it can be even better looking at the improvements made by other guys.
    Having 500+ ppl contributing with their opinions was something maybe missing in the team GUI's version.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    I dont think I mind the new UI too much, but I prefer some of the colour palletes that the forum mebers have come up with.

Hopefully changing the colour pallette is easy to mod. Then Im a happy bunny :)
  • georgelappiesgeorgelappies Member Posts: 179

Everyone meet Mad Men vs Baldur's Gate.

Photobucket
    Yeah ... that was way too much fun. Looks like a lot of work but most of it was just copied and pasted from older work :)

Oh and here are the portraits, from left to right they're roughly (ahem) Shar-Teel, Xzar, Safana, Viconia, Charname and Imoen.
    Photobucket

lol, yeah with instead of a wand of cloudkill a packet of 20 Camel non filter ciggies :)
    Raistlin82
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    If the Mad Men mod is not released as DLC I will not buy this product!
    Jaxsbudgie
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    @Ward I agree with you, but most of the GUI use a stone texture or wood, rather than fabric and lace. ;)

@Knettgummi Without the files, it's hard to make a GUI mod for the release. ;)
    edited September 2012
    I like this idea of information consolidation. But what happens when you cast Fireball, and a dozen enemies all make a save vs. spell?
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012
    Aosaw said:

I like this idea of information consolidation. But what happens when you cast Fireball, and a dozen enemies all make a save vs. spell?

Yeah this is my dilemma! perhaps just have several rows of the uttermost left group makes the saves and then the text can commence as normal? I don't know :)

edited September 2012
    For a spell, you've got three columns:

Action -> Saving Throw -> Effect

So lay it out like that, with a new row for each target, only displaying the Action for the first target. Like this:

Xzar casts Fireball -> Gnoll Save vs. Spell: 15 -> Xzar did 15 damage to Gnoll.
    [empty] -> Bugbear Save vs. Spell: 5 -> Xzar did 30 damage to Bugbear.
    [empty] -> Imoen Save vs. Spell: 20 -> Xzar did 15 damage to Imoen.
    Bugbear: Death -> Party has gained experience: 200
    Imoen: Death

And so on. That way the "Action" becomes kind of like a header row for all of its disparate effects, and single-target spells will only require one row of description.

I don't know how you'd do it in the code, but it would be a lot easier to read through the battle log, especially when figuring out who killed whom.
    JaxsbudgieKnettgummiJalily
    edited September 2012
    Aosaw said:

For a spell, you've got three columns:

Action -> Saving Throw -> Effect

So lay it out like that, with a new row for each target, only displaying the Action for the first target. Like this:

Xzar casts Fireball -> Gnoll Save vs. Spell: 15 -> Xzar did 15 damage to Gnoll.
    [empty] -> Bugbear Save vs. Spell: 5 -> Xzar did 30 damage to Bugbear.
    [empty] -> Imoen Save vs. Spell: 20 -> Xzar did 15 damage to Imoen.
    Bugbear: Death -> Party has gained experience: 200
    Imoen: Death

And so on. That way the "Action" becomes kind of like a header row for all of its disparate effects, and single-target spells will only require one row of description.

I don't know how you'd do it in the code, but it would be a lot easier to read through the battle log, especially when figuring out who killed whom.

Yep!
    That's exactly how I imagined it, was going to edit the .psd and show it through another screenshot example, but I have real work to get on with :)
    10 points to Gryffindor though for thinking of doing it in the comments section, things like that don't cross my mind, I'm such a lofty headed creative haha

Edit: (I'll probably do aforementioned example later on tonight! Need to get my head down and not feel guilty for having played Guild Wars 2 all day!)
    edited September 2012
    @Jaxsbudgie
    I've had a similar idea in mind actually, only a little less complicated: divide the text box into two columns, where one displays all action messages (i.e. spells cast, targets attacked, weapon unusable, etc.) and the other displays all technical data (attack rolls, saving throws, damage) -- not necessarily aligned like you suggest.

I like yours even better, though. That would be a great feature if it's doable.
    Kerozevok said:

@Knettgummi Without the files, it's hard to make a GUI mod for the release. ;)

I was speaking figuratively. My point is simply that the argument about the distracting contrast and saturation of the GUI has been made already, and disagreeing about whether or not blue fits the setting doesn't really lead anywhere constructive. If that's to be the final color scheme of the GUI, then I'd be surprised if a community modded alternative didn't pop up before long (not immediately, of course. I understand that the game files are needed in order to alter the game files...).

Kerozevokrede9
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208

mch202 said:

Phillip Daigle said in the OP that:

Look for more screenshots soon, perhaps somewhere on the internet.

Does that mean that the rest of the screenshots will be published on an interview? The main BG site? I wonder...
    It's an Easter egg! It's definitely an Easter egg! Quick, to the ruins of Ulcaster!

i'll go check all the xxx rated sites and let you know if i find anything.......
    Jaxsbudgie
  • steff74steff74 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2012
    have you seen this one ? from the beamdog page
    Sophia
    edited September 2012
    Heh ... posting them on the forums is fine, but on the website? They're not really selling the game that well with screenshots of an unfinished GUI.

But I guess they're ... nice? It's good to see an expanded text box. Is that what that big button beside it is for then?
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    Looking forward to slaughtering nefarious Dark Moon initiates and pesky spiders.

Just noticed now...Xzar is in their party, but Montaron is not. Looks like the Devs also don't like the idea of NPCs as part of a 'package deal'.
    Post edited by Silence on