Skip to content

What do you not like about DnD

DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
So I know that a lot of people on this forums love DnD, whether its the books, table top games, or video games. There is also a lot of hate, towards the books, different Editions, and the video games, so the question that I am here to ask you is; What are some things that you don't like about DnD in general?

Comments

• KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    edited April 2016
    I love the Realms but ... not really the D&D system on table play, no matter the edition, i'm more a "we don't need dice or stat for roleplay"-MJ, most of time I love building character but I always find the all system boring at a time (mostly when a fight end up on a loop of "roll dice / hit / heal /repeat").

In video game i kinda appreciate, but it's more or less because a nostalgy thing. Maybe also the fact i alway play video game in solo so it's not the same experience at all.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    A tendency towards very binary effects. As the system is inherently based on dice rolls, the underlying mechanisms are fairly often just succeed/fail. There are of courses various probabilities involved, however the outcome is very often a simple binary value.

It seems that this is being remedied somewhat by modern developments, which add more depth and complexity to the system. However in the BG series it's still very noticeably present, e.g. with many spells being "save or bust".

Personally I've always been much more happy with systems that take modifiers into account dynamically. Rather than, say, have a 30% chance to get hit for the full amount and a 70% chance to not get hit at all, I favor an approach that simply hits for 30% of the full amount instead.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    That's an interesting question, indeed. It gave me much to think about.

Currently I am a DM playing with a group of friends, all first-timers. I've noticed there's a couple that find the game somewhat confusing at times. They still enjoy the game very much, but I can see that sometimes they are at momentary loss about what they should do. It likely is because they've never played before, but they usually mistake one die for another or they don't remember what they should do in order to make a certain roll. I think it's a little because of their inexperience, and a little because of the 3.5 rules I'm following. I accepted the rules because I'm most familiar with them, but this experience came to make me understand that it is not so likely other people would have such a deep understanding of the rules I do. I guess that's probably one of the reasons I am a DM and they're players. Or maybe because I'm NG and they're all chaotic, with evil tendencies...
    I've read a bit the rules for the 5th edition; I haven't read the manuals through, so I apologize if I misinterpreted them. In my reading, I very much appreciate the all "get rid of the ability checks altogether" thing. I agree that this takes a bit out of the customization of the characters, but it comes with a much needed simplification of the rules. Now, whomever wants to do a search check, knows it's a check based on Wisdom. Simple enough.
    Also, there should be more video games based on D&D and the FR in particular. I'M LOOKING AT YOU, @TrentOster !!
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I believe that original dnd and adnd were more focused on roleplaying and telling a story. In my opinion, most of DnD 3rd edition books are a bit boring because they spend 90 percent of the pages describing feats and new spells or races, even the official adventures were more about rules and tactics and less about immersion . I dont know if they had changed that on later versions.
  • znancekivellznancekivell Member Posts: 58
    For me I probably least like the focus on rules and heaps of stat blocks relevant in previous editions. I made the switch to 5E when it came out and I haven't looked back. 5E really feels much more streamlined, with a heavier focus on Player option and interaction compared to other editions, though I have my own gripes with the system. *grumblesorcerergrumble*

I typically play Pathfinder when I want something more mechanically in-depth, but I often find myself quickly bored by each and every rule which explains exactly what you can and cannot do. Very uncool. I've made a compromise and mine many ideas from Pathfinder, but use the current 5E ruleset.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I don't like how luck-based it is. One of the main reasons why chess is such a great game is because when you move your bishop into the opponent's queen you don't have to flip a coin or roll a die to determine whether the queen is captured or not.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

I don't like how luck-based it is. One of the main reasons why chess is such a great game is because when you move your bishop into the opponent's queen you don't have to flip a coin or roll a die to determine whether the queen is captured or not.

While that's 100% true, it's also not what most people want. They actually enjoy it when skill isn't the sole determining factor, usually because they don't want to automatically lose against anyone better than them. They want to have a chance whenever they play, even if it's a small chance. You roll that natural 20 against a superior enemy, you feel like a god among insects. Many, many people enjoy that feeling a whole lot.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    For me the biggest turn offs of D&D is the often forced imbalance of different character classes. Like the linear fighters and quadratic wizards.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    illathid said:

For me the biggest turn offs of D&D is the often forced imbalance of different character classes. Like the linear fighters and quadratic wizards.

That is one of my favorite things. There is no realistic world where you have impressive magic including spells like Time Stop where mages are not superior to fighters in the long run. The Vancian spell system with limited casts already is a good reason why you need some fighters along.

The only thing I dislike about the 2nd edition are the non-human class level restrictions.
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    I am a tad ashamed of this but I can't really wrap my head around the fact that men and women are equal where stats are concerned. I do not have any good ideas to balance stats but it still kind of bugs me that men and women are equally strong. In our world the differance is actually quite big, and maybe even more so among individuals who work out a lot (fighter types).

A bit silly perhaps to obsess about it in a setting that has fireballs, dragons and time stop I freely admit.

As soon as you find a strength enhancing item or buff up I am totally fine. It just irks me that men and women are equally strong even though they look like real men and women from our world. It doesn't bother me in the slightest among other races. From what I understand the females are stronger among the drow and among the dwarves they actually are more or less equal. I don't know about elves and gnomes but I think I've read that the differance is supposed to be pretty big among orcs too.

Sneaking in general and "hide in plain sight" in particular I also find quite out of place, in the books I've read in the forgotten realms setting the thieves were sorely lacking in "magical" skills.

I've never really seen a good explanation for the turn based system either, at least not for casters. If a spell is very easy to cast with a short casting time, magic missile for example, why can't the mage cast several in one round? And not even drink a potion or use an item in the time that's left of the "round". Needed for "balance" I suppose, but a tad silly nonetheless imho.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I'm not a fan of unbending rules made in the name of "balance". That is one of the attitudes of 3.0, 3.5, and Pathfinder. At least with AD&D they may have had the same opinion, but it was always given as more guidelines.

Dnd should be controlled by the DM, who is, after all, the story teller. The players shape the story and help to tell it. I believe that rules should be ways to help increase fun; neither player nor DM should be so hyperfocused on rules that the immersion is lost.

I haven't played 5e yet, but from what I understand it is more in keeping with the spirit of pnp games.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Otherguy: BG2 is unusual in that respect. In PnP, spells don't have casting times of 1 to 9. They either take a half round (normally), a full round (meaning you can't move around in the same round), or something like 10 minutes or a day to cast (for big ritual-type spells). And if it was a half round spell, the other half of that round could only be used to move, not to drink a potion or attack. I think the differing casting times were just added in to vanilla BG1 to make higher-level spells a little slower.
  • AchterkladAchterklad Member Posts: 114
    edited April 2016
    Otherguy said:

I am a tad ashamed of this but I can't really wrap my head around the fact that men and women are equal where stats are concerned. I do not have any good ideas to balance stats but it still kind of bugs me that men and women are equally strong. In our world the differance is actually quite big, and maybe even more so among individuals who work out a lot (fighter types).

The only roleplaying game where I've actually seen differences in stats between the sexes was Arcanum; females had one less point in strength, but an additional point in constitution.
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    I hate that its ( pen and paper stuff ) not more popular in the area I live. I haven't been able to find anyone interested enough to sit down and learn it and I fear now its too late for me. :( I even have dice, and a bunch of handed down books with monsters and other rules/etc :(
  • znancekivellznancekivell Member Posts: 58
    jackjack said:

2E's racial restrictions. I always use Tweaks to get rid of them in BG, and I just flat out ignore them in PnP.

Aye, absolutely.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Ammar said:

illathid said:

That is one of my favorite things. There is no realistic world where you have impressive magic including spells like Time Stop where mages are not superior to fighters in the long run. The Vancian spell system with limited casts already is a good reason why you need some fighters along.

The only thing I dislike about the 2nd edition are the non-human class level restrictions.
    I see that as short sighted. Why can't fighters have abilities just as powerful as time stop? Why can't a fighter with extremely training and skill move faster than the eye can see a few times per day. I'm not saying Fighters and wizards should be the same, but I see no reason why a high level fighter couldn't do things we'd consider "magic" in our world. Some of the best myths and stories have fighter-equivalents doing things that would be impossible for a human to do in our world.
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    edited April 2016
    For me the little nugget that annoys me since first playing AD&D in 1979 is the players ability or lack thereof to identify magic items.

There's nothing like being in a portion of a campaign where the players don't have time in between sessions to cast spells, do research etc, maybe you had to travel through dangerous wilderness, raid a stronghold and then have to immediately travel to some Liches tomb and retrieve some item or prevent some dark ritual, because if you don't go RIGHT NOW the grand city of Enpeycees will surely be lost.

So along the way you gather a half of dozen magical longswords, six magic rings, four sets of magical armor, numerous cloaks, amulets and not only do you got to lug all this stuff around in your portable hole, but you know that you will have to throw down with a Liche/Demon/Dragon with tentacles and you're absolutely sure some of that gear you have just might even the odds a bit, but unless the sword has 'Liche/Demon/Dragon with tentacles Slayer' written across it in common, you just can't be sure.

Now if the aforementioned logistical roadblock with utilizing the loot properly so that this section of the campaign can have a satisfactory ending and not just be a TPK is not enough of a problem and suppose that the party does manage to somehow defeat the Liche/Demon/Dragon with tentacles boss at the end of the dungeon and now they travel back to the grand city of Enpeycees and decide their characters will Identify and split up all the magic items they have accrued in the last four months of gaming.

"Ok, the magical Brass Ring, what does it do?"~Player of Amazo the wizard

"Brass Ring?"~befuddled DM begins thumbing through stacks of crumpled papers

"Yeah, it's on my list, I wrote it down right after the emerald amulet." ~Player of Chirpy the Bard

"Emerald Amulet?"` DM sets down stack of handwritten notes and reaches for the bookshelf.

"Yeah that page of notes is from August, I remember Amber made chili and spilled some on your notes." ~The player of Cutter the fighter

"Oh yeah, I think that was..." ~DM puts down book and goes back to laptop.

20 minutes later in realtime.

"Nope, that wasn't it..." ~ Frazzled DM.

"OK, lets just call it a Ring of Protection +2" ~Player of Amazo the wizard.

"Ring of Protection +2 it is." ~deflated DM.

"Alright, how about the magical silver ring?" ~Player of Chirpy the bard.

Yeah, I've always hated the Identify spell in D&D!

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I've always thought that a more fluid use of magic would be great, like if you found an item that had some kind of a magic resonance...but it was up to the person using it to invest it with what makes it special. It would make finding magic items less about identifying what they are on some table, and much much more personal. I mean D&D has pretty much always been Magic Item Warehouse Inventory Workers: The RPG so it's kinda hard to so drastically change magic items at this point since that's embedded in the framework, but there are RPGs out there that try to bring the...well, magic back to magic items.

Personally I kind of wish D&D's magic system was closer to WoD's Mage but without the lesson about power woven into it, but then you'd have to balance all the other classes to that kind of way of thinking about class abilities, which seems like it'd be pretty hard to do especially between the clearly supernatural and the clearly mundane (i.e. between wizards and clerics on the one hand and fighters and rogues on the other). It's always seemed more mystical and occult and magical to me to have someone trying to bend reality to their whims in ways unique to the individual caster rather than recite a formula that outputs the same results no matter who you are (i.e. "oh look, a spellbook! oh wow, they have Magic Missile too! wowee formulaic sameness draining magic of any mystery sure is neato!") but again, it's just so embedded in what D&D is at this point that I'm more or less saying I prefer other pen and paper systems to D&D rather than saying things I'd want these things changed about D&D...ultimately when I play a game of D&D, I know what to expect and what the mechanics' existence in the setting mean with regard to the setting and just run with it lol
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    My least favorite thing about D&D, specifically, depends on the edition. The current that's common to them all, however, is that I kind of hate the way probabilities work on d20s. There's no trend towards the middle of the distribution, and if you always want to leave open the possibility for success or failure (nat 1s and nat 20s), you need to lock those probabilities to 5% increments. So if you would normally need a 21 to hit the monster, that's no worse than if you would normally need a 30 to hit the monster. In reality, you need a 20 either way, because 20 is the highest number on the die.

My least favorite thing about roleplaying in general is players and GMs who don't care if everyone else is having fun. Especially GMs.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Jarrakul said:

My least favorite thing about roleplaying in general is players and GMs who don't care if everyone else is having fun. Especially GMs.

Just to clarify, do you mean the if here as "as long as" or "whether" because those are two different sentiments that the if could mean
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2016
    jackjack said:

2E's racial restrictions. I always use Tweaks to get rid of them in BG, and I just flat out ignore them in PnP.

I actually like the racial restrictions. I just wish they were done in a way that was justified (though ultimately the DM has the final say anyways). Halflings for instance can be a fighter/thief, a fighter, cleric, or thief. But they can't be a fighter/cleric or cleric/thief because...reasons.