Skip to content

Should 'SOD Characters' be a DLC for Baldur's Gate 2?

Comments

• RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    illathid said:

Stoibs said:

DLC is such a dirty word in regards to the video game industry these days.
    No I wouldn't like to see them being nickel and dimed for 99c each on the steam store.

Would I like to see them either patched in or supplied as an official dev-created optional mod pack? Absolutely.

Wording of the poll is just suspect.

Yeah, because people shouldn't be paid for the work they do. :expressionless:
    Rawgrim said:

The Baldur's Gate + DLC. No. Just...no. Lets not EA'ify Baldur's Gate.

There's no meaningful difference between DLC and an expansion except delivery method.
    Yes there is. Expansion packs are way bigger, and you tend to get good value for the price.
    Rathenau
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    there are three ways this is going to happen. 1. it's a free patch. this is not that likely as getting four new npcs for free does not seem reasonable. 2. your gonna have to pay for them in a pack. and then 3. they get made into npc mods and everyone wins.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited April 2016
    Rawgrim said:

Yes there is. Expansion packs are way bigger, and you tend to get good value for the price.

The term "expansion pack", by definition, can be of any size. The only reason the term came about is because, in the '90s & early '00s (read: before Steam and similar services), you could NOT download 75+MB of files and patch them to the game. Back in the day, keep in mind, 75MB was a lot of data. Rather, the developer had to create an official expansion, which cost usually 50% to 66% of the cost of the base game. Players expected more than just a few minor updates or armor packs if they're paying that much and since they would be using 75+MB of space on their (back then, limited in terms of available space) hard drives.

The concept of a DLC is such that a DLC can be of any size, of any price, and is "downloadable". If the player is paying $5.99 for a DLC for a game that cost $40 to $60 at release, then the expectation is not to have as much content. Why? Simple. We're talking about paying less than 20% of the cost of the base game. Also, since 75MB of data isn't a big deal anymore, no one is concerned about hard drive space. The player still expects quality, but the expected quantity has gone down.

In short, I see no reason to wait for an expansion. A $5.99 DLC pack is just fine to me. Bucking against the idea of a DLC, when it tends to result in more content in less time (and pays the devs for their work) is just silly to me.

illathidCamus34rorikon
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Should? No. Could? Yes. Unless the companions really won't fit storywise due to whatever their fate is at the end of SoD, it would be neat. I would prefer brand new characters that were intended for the entire story though, like Neera/Dorn/Rasaad.
    kaguana
    illathid said:

Rawgrim said:

illathid said:

Stoibs said:

No I wouldn't like to see them being nickel and dimed for 99c each on the steam store.

Would I like to see them either patched in or supplied as an official dev-created optional mod pack? Absolutely.

Rawgrim said:

There's no meaningful difference between DLC and an expansion except delivery method.
    That's not how words work. DLC can be of any size, as it only describes the method of acquisition (it must be downloaded). Expansion packs tend to have large amounts of content but that's not a requirement for something to be called an an expansion pack.

Name 5 DLCs with as much content as, say...SoD.
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    edited April 2016
    Zoimos said:

I don't see all of them being available.

Corwin for example wouldn't leave her daughter to go to another country to fight for someone she despises.
    Maybe her daughter could go missing leading her to Amn, load of ways it can be written into the story.

I would like to see some of the new NPCs in BG2 and wouldn't be against paying for it if new side quests, areas, voice acting etc is added with it if the price is reasonable (and will help fund a possible bg3!)

I suppose it would not be that much of a stretch to have her father killed off, and her daughter stolen and put into slavery or something. Calimshain has a slave trade, and Amn is not that far away from it. Muranndin is rather close to Amn, it's an evil aligned kingdom ruled by ogers, and is involved in the slave trade. Muranndin fought a war with Amn. Edit: I would imagine Corwin's story being like the excellent Western, "The Searchers".
    Post edited by Camus34 on
    edited April 2016

Should? No. Could? Yes. Unless the companions really won't fit storywise due to whatever their fate is at the end of SoD, it would be neat. I would prefer brand new characters that were intended for the entire story though, like Neera/Dorn/Rasaad.

Well should is a question for gamers, can is a question for the developers. They most likley can, but should they be added if no one wants them? Get it?
    Rawgrim said:

You just answered your own question: SoD has exactly as much content as SoD. And it's downloadable. DLCs can literally be ANYTHING, provided they are downloadable.
    Camus34illathidrorikon

Rawgrim said:

You just answered your own question: SoD has exactly as much content as SoD. And it's downloadable. DLCs can literally be ANYTHING, provided they are downloadable.
    Guess I should have asked, "Should 'SOD Characters' be Star Trek beamed into Baldur's Gate 2?" lol
    rapsam2003illathidrorikon
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    rapsam2003

I think Beamdog should just give us a Funny Hat DLC. :u That's 7 colours of the bard hat for only $5.99! :3 Less than a dollar a hat. :D

Don't laugh, Valve is making a killing in the hat market. lol
    rapsam2003[Deleted User]mf2112
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Just give viconia her new portrait and I'll be happy
    rapsam2003[Deleted User]JuliusBorisovRathenau
    rapsam2003Camus34
  • ZilchkZilchk Member Posts: 46

No, they should be added in a free patch or at worst in a future expansion to BG2/ToB which I expect to happen due to uresolved plots like Umbral Accord, Dennaton's master and Baeloth.

Danathion
  • ZilchkZilchk Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2016
    Camus34 said:

KhalDrogo said:

Bring Schael Corwin, Voghlin and Caelar Argent !!!!

Can Caelar live? Because she most certainly died in my game, and her corpse is locked away in the nine hells. Which is sort of like super dead. lol

Uh, why does it have to be DLC? Nobody wants to PAY for this.

Yes, God forbid, that some of us (clearly not you) want to support the devs by throwing $5.99 their way for the SoD characters, new quests attached to them, possible romances, etc.

I personally would LOVE to see a Caelar quest chain, starting with rescuing her from Avernus via the Spell Sphere, a possible romance, and culminating in a self-examination of her actions (with you being the "maker" or "breaker" of her character, based on your responses) in ToB. I'd pay $5.99 for that alone, but I'd expect it to be VERY well done.
    Rescuing her from Baator would be better as a part of larger expansion where you can explore it more freely including cities like City of Pain. Minauros and Jangling Hiter and do quests for devils there. She may be tortured in Minauros for example.
    Rathenau
    Zilchk said:

Rescuing her from Baator would be better as a part of larger expansion where you can explore it more freely including cities like City of Pain. Minauros and Jangling Hiter and do quests there. She may be tortured in Minauros for example.

1) No, I don't think there's much justification for CHARNAME in BG2 to go to the City of Pain. Nor do I reason to go to Minauros or Jangling Hiter. Just rescue her from Averunus. No need to go to the other layers of Baator.
    2) Why does it need a full expansion? It could be as simple as breaking into a jail cell in a watchtower in Avernus, breaking out of said watchtower, and dealing with some minor Boss demon that runs the watchtower.
    illathid
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

there are three ways this is going to happen. 1. it's a free patch. this is not that likely as getting four new npcs for free does not seem reasonable. 2. your gonna have to pay for them in a pack. and then 3. they get made into npc mods and everyone wins.

If they were modded in there would be no voice acting for the lines from the original voice actors and quality may be an issue. I'd prefer professional integration if that's an option through DLC, expansion pack or Star Trek beaming.
    Camus34illathidbob_vengBGLover
  • rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91
    Corwin I cant see so much. I didnt mind her too much, as an archer she was a good addition but I found her too dry. I also think with her backstory and profession it seems odd. Although if there is ever any plans to expand upon the late game plot elements from SoD she might be a good addition for the extra drama.

Voghlin Mkiin and Glint would all be good additions though and cant see any reason why they would be out of place.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Should note that adding NPCs to BG2 is not a free process. It requires dev time to write the dialogues and integrate the characters into the game itself. If they want any lines voiced they'll have to pay voice actors.

A $5 DLC character pack would be great and not a bad thing. Free would be great too, if they could pull it off.
    justfeelinathome

A $5 DLC character pack would be great and not a bad thing. Free would be great too, if they could pull it off.

Personally, as a software dev myself, I would always prefer that I am paid for my work. A company like Beamdog isn't so large that it can just eat the cost of 100+ hours of development. As such, I advocate that the DLC cost around $5 or $5.99 or whatever.
    justfeelinathome
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

Personally, as a software dev myself, I would always prefer that I am paid for my work. A company like Beamdog isn't so large that it can just eat the cost of 100+ hours of development. As such, I advocate that the DLC cost around $5 or $5.99 or whatever.
    Yeah, I totally agree with you. I don't think free should be the default. I was thinking of Trials of the Luremaster when I added that free would be great too - although Trials was a very different situation.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Rawgrim said:

illathid said:

Rawgrim said:

illathid said:

Stoibs said:

Rawgrim said:

That's not how words work. DLC can be of any size, as it only describes the method of acquisition (it must be downloaded). Expansion packs tend to have large amounts of content but that's not a requirement for something to be called an an expansion pack.

How are we defining content, playtime? in that case:
    CK2: the Old Gods
    NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer
    Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea
    Civ 5: Brave New World
    XCom: Enemy Within
    EU4: Common Sense
    DAO: Awakening
    DoW2: Chaos Rising
    PoE: the White March
    rorikon
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    three of those are expanstions. the dlc for fallout 3 and new vegas are better examples.

three of those are expanstions. the dlc for fallout 3 and new vegas are better examples.

Hey, guess what? Expansions can ALSO be DLC!
    Camus34rorikon
  • JurisJuris Member Posts: 113
    I'm all for getting rid of Rasaad and replacing him with a base monk (hate the sun soul kit his stupid ability hurts the party)...

illathid said:

Rawgrim said:

illathid said:

Rawgrim said:

illathid said:

Stoibs said:

Rawgrim said:

How are we defining content, playtime? in that case:
    CK2: the Old Gods
    NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer
    Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea
    Civ 5: Brave New World
    XCom: Enemy Within
    EU4: Common Sense
    DAO: Awakening
    DoW2: Chaos Rising
    PoE: the White March
    Mask of the betrayer, Awakening, White March, Enemy Within All of these are expansion packs. The developers labeled them expansion packs. And they are sold separately on disks. DLCs tend to be so small a disk isn't even warranted (unless it is a disk with plenty DLC).

If you look up Awakening, for example, it is very clear that it is a full blown expansion pack. If you do the same for Return to Ostagar, you see it is a DLC.

Rathenau
    edited April 2016

Rawgrim said:

You can also download Skyrim. That doesn't make Skyrim a DLC.

Fallout 3 GOTY edition came with all the DLC on disk. So DLC doesn't have to be downloadable.

DLCs are significantly smaller than expansion packs. Expansion packs usually includes large new areas and a bran new, lengthy story + all kinds of other features. DLCs usually adds 1-2 areas and a side quest to go with the main game.

SoD is a full blown expansion pack. Tales of the Sword Coast would have been a DLC if it had been made today (most likely 2 DLCs, really). Back in the ToTSC days there weren't any DLC about anyway. Most people were on dial-up, after all , and digital games hadn't kicked off yet.
    Rathenau
This discussion has been closed.