Skip to content

Should 'SOD Characters' be a DLC for Baldur's Gate 2?

Comments

• RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621

"DLCs are significantly smaller than expansion packs."
    An expansion pack both be an expansion pack AND a DLC, if it is downloadable. So, quit arguing over this. You're beating a dead horse.

If you dislike DLCs, that's your loss. I say new content is new content. I will gladly spend a small amount of cash to support a company like Beamdog.

Yeah...hence why Bioware said they would focus on a few DLCs instead of an expansion pack for DA:I....

I don't dislike DLC. I just find them incredibly short. Surely a big expansion pack for BG2, with lots of new areas and a huge story would be better than "Pay 5 dollars to get an extra quest for Minsc" ?
    Rathenau
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    It's worth noting that Beamdog's DLCs haven't been $6 for the EE games. Actually, they've been part of the base price. The tablet market is a bit messy (limited and fixed disc space), so they cut out all the new content (except one, Dorn, I think), cut the price down, and parceled out the difference across the individual pieces. If we're using the prices they put on EE characters, we're talking more like $3.

Now, would I be willing to pay for SoD characters in my BG2EE experience? Heck yeah, on one condition: that the writing is worth it. If they're just a tertiary concession for fans who want to at least see their new friends again, that's probably left as a free patch.

Of course, if it was a pay-per-character DLC, I'd probably leave Volghiln and Glint in the bargain bin, but I'd snap M'khiin, Cowin, and Caelar up so fast there's be a sonic boom. BG2 needs more quiet awesome and fallen heroes.
    Danathion
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    Normally I would be for such things, but if it delays the future projects I am skeptical about it
  • ZilchkZilchk Member Posts: 46
    edited April 2016

Zilchk said:

Rescuing her from Baator would be better as a part of larger expansion where you can explore it more freely including cities like City of Pain. Minauros and Jangling Hiter and do quests there. She may be tortured in Minauros for example.

1) No, I don't think there's much justification for CHARNAME in BG2 to go to the City of Pain. Nor do I reason to go to Minauros or Jangling Hiter. Just rescue her from Averunus. No need to go to the other layers of Baator.
    2) Why does it need a full expansion? It could be as simple as breaking into a jail cell in a watchtower in Avernus, breaking out of said watchtower, and dealing with some minor Boss demon that runs the watchtower.
    There will be justification for it if writers write one for expansion. Could related to Umbral Accord some of its memebers can be archdevils. She could have been captured and taken to city on lower layer like Iron City of Dis or some other city/citadel, maybe even Malsheem. Just breaking her out of some minor tower or dungeon with low powered devils would be underwhelming, vying for her soul with archdevils would be more interesting especially as a part of larger plot.
    Rathenau
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Zilchk said:

There will be justification for it if writers write one for expansion. Could related to Umbral Accord some of its memebers can be archdevils. She could have been captured and taken to city on lower layer like Iron City of Dis or some other city/citadel, maybe even Malsheem. Breaking to some minor tower or dungeon with minor devils would be underwhelming, vying for her soul with archdevils would be more interesting especially as a part of larger plot.

This could actually be pretty cool, now that you said that. :)

Rathenau
    Juris said:

I'm all for getting rid of Rasaad and replacing him with a base monk (hate the sun soul kit his stupid ability hurts the party)...

He would have been better as a dark moon monk.
    RawgrimRathenau
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Zilchk said:

Juris said:

I'm all for getting rid of Rasaad and replacing him with a base monk (hate the sun soul kit his stupid ability hurts the party)...

How about leaving him in the game, but adding a female dark moon monk as a joinable NPC too? Might be interesting to have both in the same party.
    edited April 2016
    Rawgrim said:

Zilchk said:

Juris said:

How about leaving him in the game, but adding a female dark moon monk as a joinable NPC too? Might be interesting to have both in the same party.
    Or even better add a twofold monk companion or let Rasaad change his kit into twofold monk through a quest.
    Rathenau
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Rawgrim said:

Rawgrim said:

Name 5 DLCs with as much content as, say...SoD.

You just answered your own question: SoD has exactly as much content as SoD. And it's downloadable. DLCs can literally be ANYTHING, provided they are downloadable.
    You can also download Skyrim. That doesn't make Skyrim a DLC.

Fallout 3 GOTY edition came with all the DLC on disk. So DLC doesn't have to be downloadable.

DLCs are significantly smaller than expansion packs. Expansion packs usually includes large new areas and a bran new, lengthy story + all kinds of other features. DLCs usually adds 1-2 areas and a side quest to go with the main game.

SoD is a full blown expansion pack. Tales of the Sword Coast would have been a DLC if it had been made today (most likely 2 DLCs, really). Back in the ToTSC days there weren't any DLC about anyway. Most people were on dial-up, after all , and digital games hadn't kicked off yet.
    I feel like this parsing into "expansion pack" and "DLC" is kind of meaningless. What used to be expansions is now DLC (unless you're Blizzard). Siege of Dragonspear is DLC, after all.
    jackjack
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Gozeta
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2016
    illathid said:

Stoibs said:

DLC is such a dirty word in regards to the video game industry these days.
    No I wouldn't like to see them being nickel and dimed for 99c each on the steam store.

Would I like to see them either patched in or supplied as an official dev-created optional mod pack? Absolutely.

Wording of the poll is just suspect.

Yeah, because people shouldn't be paid for the work they do. :expressionless:

You mean above and beyond SoD and the countless times I've (re)bought the 'extended editions' of the game that they've merely added onto with their patches (which in many cases were for the worse - read: the crappy UI changes in 2.0)
    They've already been paid again and again and again for their work tenfold, riding the coatails of arguably one of the best PC games and RPGs and now seeing profits from what wasn't even mostly their work isn't enough?

Someone else said it before, but let's not EA'ify and ruin a cult classic with microtransactions and loads of paid DLC.
    If this was a paid thing, then I'd simply wait for someone to turn it into a mod and/or 'get it for free' without any moral qualms.
    DanathionRathenau
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    edited April 2016
    Stoibs said:

illathid said:

Stoibs said:

No I wouldn't like to see them being nickel and dimed for 99c each on the steam store.

Would I like to see them either patched in or supplied as an official dev-created optional mod pack? Absolutely.

You mean above and beyond SoD and the countless times I've (re)bought the 'extended editions' of the game that they've merely added onto with their patches (which in many cases were for the worse - read: the crappy UI changes in 2.0)
    Considering that implementing the character and potentially romances/quests etc would be work done above and beyond SoD - Yes.
    Stoibs said:

If this was a paid thing, then I'd simply wait for someone to turn it into a mod and/or 'get it for free' without any moral qualms.

If theft causes no moral qualms, Minsc and Boo would like a word with you ;P
    [Deleted User]
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Stoibs said:

illathid said:

Stoibs said:

They've already been paid again and again and again for their work tenfold, riding the coatails of arguably one of the best PC games and RPGs and now seeing profits from what wasn't even mostly their work isn't enough?

Someone else said it before, but let's not EA'ify and ruin a cult classic with microtransactions and loads of paid DLC.
    The fact that you've rebought the EE's several times is on you. It doesn't change anything. Regardless if people create something and you want it, It's not unreasonable for them to charge for it. Period.

And saying you'd pirate it is even worse. :rage:
    [Deleted User]Camus34rorikon
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    I'd rather have mods than DLC. Surely not the same quality and no voicing but I'm used to that.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Sids1188 said:

No one (who is smart) is going to mod this IF IT WAS ALREADY A DLC. No modder wants a cease and desist letter for stealing IP.
    Camus34
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    lansounet said:

I'd rather have mods than DLC. Surely not the same quality and no voicing but I'm used to that.

Back in the day though, original writers used to work on the mods. David Gaider for instance. Unfortunately, that does not happen anymore...
    Rathenau
    edited April 2016
    Wow... so many people here are seemingly fine with the ruining of a cult classic and are happy with playing a part in the decline of the gaming industry that has been occurring for decades now with all the nickel and dime DLC bullshit.
    Incredible.

Serves me right for simply answering a question and choosing to engage in and participate in a poll right? Should be used to getting jumped on out of the blue for having a conflicting opinion by now ever since the inferior 2.0 UI changes and arguments and discussions months ago that I took part in (That as I correctly predicted, *has* caused a divide and the majority of people to hate them now post-launch as evidenced from the steam forums)
    Sigh.
    Rathenau
    As did I..
    Are we done here now?
    Is someone else going to arbitrarily requote me and drag on what didn't even need elaboration in the first place for the sake of it? or..?
  • nomadmercnomadmerc Member Posts: 48
    I could see a encounter with Coran where she tries to hunt you down with a Flaming Fist brigade. The other companions were less remarkable and Coran was not so good. I'd rather See Baeloth introduced to BG2 with his own quests.
    RathenauGozeta
    nomadmerc said:

I could see a encounter with Coran where she tries to hunt you down with a Flaming Fist brigade. The other companions were less remarkable and Coran was not so good. I'd rather See Baeloth introduced to BG2 with his own quests.

You know, Corwin does not have to hate you. Moreover, the Fists are under the command of Duke Eltan, who owes his life to the Bhaalspawn, and was instrumental in getting said Bhaalspawn out of jail. So I doubt that the Fists would actually be looking for the Bhaalspawn.
    CalemyrlansounetKhalDrogo
  • CalemyrCalemyr Member Posts: 238
    edited April 2016
    Camus34 said:

nomadmerc said:

You know, Corwin does not have to hate you. Moreover, the Fists are under the command of Duke Eltan, who owes his life to the Bhaalspawn, and was instrumental in getting said Bhaalspawn out of jail. So I doubt that the Fists would actually be looking for the Bhaalspawn.
    Agreed. If she appears at all, though, it's likely not to be looking for you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Neb is all the reason she needs. Neb was imprisoned in the FF prison, but found in the Bridge District in BG2. Neb is a serial child-killer who imprisons the souls of the children he slays. Think about that. Corwin of all people would chase that sick psycho to beyond the sword coasts if given the mission, especially now that she was in SoD and has some adventuring experience, especially if her ties to the Scion are getting her hate mail from the Silvershield residence.

So, there you have it. Corwin is wandering Athkatla, looking for a clue to the gnomish mass murderer, when suddenly she sees the Scion walking by on the other side of the street. She calls out to them and asks for their help. Lots of things can be said, not all of which are nice, but ultimately can agree to help. Like Corwin or not, Neb is something that needs to be stopped, right?

While pursuing the guy, conversation drifts to what happened after you escaped Baldur's Gate. Irenicus comes up, and Corwin is horrified to hear how you've been spending your time since, and doubly so to hear about Imoen, who she never got to adventure with but seemed like such a nice girl. By the time Neb bites it, Corwin is miserable. She wants to go home so bad she could cry, but she needs to make this right. The way she parted ways with the Scion haunts her - the opportunities missed, the justice ill served, the question she now regrets. And if Irenicus truly has that dagger? Maybe it's worth putting off the long trip home, just for a little while longer...
    KhalDrogoCamus34
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    edited May 2016
    I want them all!

1. Baeloth Barrityl
    2. Caelar Argent
    3. Captain Schael Corwin
    4. Glint Gardnersonson
    5. Voghiln the Vast
    6. M’Khiin Grubdoubler
    Post edited by Vasculio on
    illathid
    edited April 2016
    Calemyr said:

Camus34 said:

nomadmerc said:

Agreed. If she appears at all, though, it's likely not to be looking for you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Neb is all the reason she needs. Neb was imprisoned in the FF prison, but found in the Bridge District in BG2. Neb is a serial child-killer who imprisons the souls of the children he slays. Think about that. Corwin of all people would chase that sick psycho to beyond the sword coasts if given the mission, especially now that she was in SoD and has some adventuring experience, especially if her ties to the Scion are getting her hate mail from the Silvershield residence.

So, there you have it. Corwin is wandering Athkatla, looking for a clue to the gnomish mass murderer, when suddenly she sees the Scion walking by on the other side of the street. She calls out to them and asks for their help. Lots of things can be said, not all of which are nice, but ultimately can agree to help. Like Corwin or not, Neb is something that needs to be stopped, right?

While pursuing the guy, conversation drifts to what happened after you escaped Baldur's Gate. Irenicus comes up, and Corwin is horrified to hear how you've been spending your time since, and doubly so to hear about Imoen, who she never got to adventure with but seemed like such a nice girl. By the time Neb bites it, Corwin is miserable. She wants to go home so bad she could cry, but she needs to make this right. The way she parted ways with the Scion haunts her - the opportunities missed, the justice ill served, the question she now regrets. And if Irenicus truly has that dagger? Maybe it's worth putting off the long trip home, just for a little while longer...
    I've also mentioned the possibility of a Searcheresque story (the 1959 John Wayne Movie), wherein Corwin's father is killed around the time the Bhaalspawn escapes the city, and Corwin's daughter is taken by slavers to Amn, where there is the Copper Cornet slaver side quests. Also two areas where the slave trade is active, are rather close to Amn. So I think that story could work, all the way through TOB. One of my problems with Corwin is that at the end of SOD, she comes right out and says "I love you" and you can say "as long as you love me, I will have hope". It would be weird to pick up the romance in a state where Corwin has 'amnesia', after being so forward about her feelings at the End of SOD. And for some odd reason, there is never a dialogue chain in BG that goes something like, "My love don't you recognize me?"
    "Of course I do blah blah etc etc." lol
    Post edited by Camus34 on
    Rathenau
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    It's just my humble opinion, but...

The way the EE has been working for these years, there're no standard "DLC"s for them - there're patches that fix bugs and bring new features, including new classes, kits and characters (remember Baeloth). And there's a big story expansion, which is SoD.

If SoD NPCs are ever to be brought to BG2EE, I think it will be done through a patch for this game, along with other changes.
    [Deleted User]DanathionVasculioineth
  • ZoimosZoimos Member Posts: 81
    would much prefer paying a reasonable amount if they add new areas and quests for the new NPCs and get the voice actors for all the NPCs back and have voiced dialog with the old NPCs. Would prefer paying for that rather than having it free like they did with Baeloth in BG1 where it feels like he doesn't really fit in with the story

I can support DLC if it was like this but I can't support DLC if it was something like adding a few weapons to the game as a weapon pack, there is a difference

Camus34[Deleted User]
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited April 2016
    illathid said:

Stoibs said:

Rawgrim said:

The Baldur's Gate + DLC. No. Just...no. Lets not EA'ify Baldur's Gate.

There's no meaningful difference between DLC and an expansion except delivery method.
    There is also no difference between DLC and mod, except mod means not official DLC. (or DLC means official mod).
  • KhalDrogoKhalDrogo Member Posts: 60
    @Calemyr Agreed. If she appears at all, though, it's likely not to be looking for you. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Neb is all the reason she needs. Neb was imprisoned in the FF prison, but found in the Bridge District in BG2. Neb is a serial child-killer who imprisons the souls of the children he slays. Think about that. Corwin of all people would chase that sick psycho to beyond the sword coasts if given the mission, especially now that she was in SoD and has some adventuring experience, especially if her ties to the Scion are getting her hate mail from the Silvershield residence.

If my memory serve, once we killed this son of *** named Ned, and we bring his ugly face head to the autority, the lieutenant don't remember his name, say that he will contact the autority of Baldur's Gate AKA The Flaming Fist. Let's just say that after this quest, Corwin can appear in the game to seek the head....
    Rathenau
This discussion has been closed.