Skip to content

What's your favorite bard kit?

Comments

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353

but a halfling can scramble between the legs of any other PC race, gnomes included, and headbutt the crotch to buy time for a quick getaway
    no one can scramble between a halfling's legs and do the same except other halflings

superior Jester tactics

...Mental note, weaponize headbutts to the groin on my halfling character at my PnP games.

Halfling Monk/Rogues, get that sneak attack modifier on lethal unarmed groin headbutts
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    BillyYank said:

but a halfling can scramble between the legs of any other PC race, gnomes included, and headbutt the crotch to buy time for a quick getaway
    no one can scramble between a halfling's legs and do the same except other halflings

superior Jester tactics

...Mental note, weaponize headbutts to the groin on my halfling character at my PnP games.

Halfling Monk/Rogues, get that sneak attack modifier on lethal unarmed groin headbutts
    Or go Fighter/Thief and wear a helmet.

And everywhere, every man in the world suddenly winced without knowing why.

BillyYank said:

superior Jester tactics

Or go Fighter/Thief and wear a helmet.

And everywhere, every man in the world suddenly winced without knowing why.
    I doubt the wincing is restricted to men on that one lol
    I like True Neutral Jesters, laughing at order and freedom as well as good and evil! A classic depiction of court jesters can be read as True Neutral, that of the fool who speaks mocking cynical truths to the idealists outside the court striving for freedom because of their insider's knowledge of the court's power, as well as speaking mocking truths to the law and order types at court, spurning both kinds of ideas for what is good for the kingdom as well as spurning villainous evils of both tyrannical and chaotic bents.

That said, CN Jesters are probably a more prominent and common modern depiction, reveling in silly chaos rather than maintaining a mirthful skepticism of every position to frustrate anyone who speaks to them. It seems like a subtle difference to some, but I find the "CN" depictions of fool archetypes in the last century of media are actually much less subtle than previous depictions that strike a mocking balance by dethroning every point of view including their own.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399

A pity in this edition we couldn't have Chaotic Evil Jesters. We all know exactly what character we'd make if we were allowed that combination.

"Why so serious?"
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    There's a huge difference between BG and IWD here, but for me it's just as @semiticgod said it, having a passive CHARNAME is boring. The blade has it's weaknesses, but it's by far the most versatile of the classes. A vanilla bard just can't become offensive enough and skald and jester both have to specific songs that it feels like a waste to not having them singing all the time.

The only downside of a Blade is that you have to spend every single spell slot to buff you up so that you become almost as good as a F/M. But hey, that's part of the charm of the class; taking something inherently kinda weak and making her/him a demi-god of destruction (for a few rounds at least ;) )
  • dok0zhivagodok0zhivago Member Posts: 82
    I finished my first BG (original 90s edition) playthrough with a bard. And I can't imagine an IWD party without some kind of bard in it.
    And while I consider vanilla bard to be the most versatile class my personal favorite is Jester.
    I especially like high level Jester song in IWD.
    Debuff all the way. :smile:

elminster said:

One of my favourite BGEE playthroughs was with a psychopathic jester (chaotic evil, complete crazy character). So many innocents slaughtered by my wands of fire. Man...if that guy had had the bards hat the Sword Coast would have never recovered.

And Sarevok thought he could whip up a murderstorm. Leave it to a Jester to make a fool out of His Evil Highness' death toll aspirations.
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    edited April 2016
    I cant bring myself to actually play a skald but I love them in theory, was going to include one in a custom party when I get scs to work with patch 2.1 and LoB. My first playthrough of NWN2 and MotB was with an almost pure bard and that was a VERY strong build. Default bards in BG are not even Close imho. Skalds are Always fantastic however and Jesters also have their uses. I don't like blades though, maybe because I find that tiefling almost as annoying as Anomen. Plus I love the standard F/M and FMT builds too much.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    I like the Skald class, in theory but ultimately, I've still never completed a whole run with a bard of any variant.

I love them in BG1, where wands are the primary use for my character (along with the song). The problem I have with that is, by the time I'm just out of Chateau Irenicus, I'm less enamored with that play style. Restartitis usually comes into play by then.
    bengoshi said:

From now on, my favourite bard is Phillip Daigle the Jester.

I wonder if your Daigle run thread will cause a surge in votes here for the clearly superior bard, Phillip Daigle the Jester.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    Blades are a wonderful fit for Half elves. It oozes flavor. The other kits would be super cool fits if the 2nd racial restrictions weren't so stringent. Dwarf skald and gnome jester sound awesome.

I usually find playing humans boring.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I'll agree to usually finding humans pretty boring, but for some reason, that's totally different on my sorcerer. And there's no mechanical benefit to being a human over a half-elf (or even an elf if you don't go dragon disciple.)
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2016
    Blades hands down.
    Bards in general kind of suck in this edition of the ruleset, atleast Blades can hold their own with their amazing spin abilities and two weapon style point allocation while being able to self/party buff also. <3 Hear'Dalis.

Worth noting that if the HLA improved bard song didn't exist, then my pick may have been skalds.. but yeah.. any bard can now do the party wide combat buffing, so the kit at its core and what it personally can do above the others is what matters to me.

Considering the amount of Bard and Jester specific gear in SoD, I am tempted to try one of them someday also.
    Post edited by Stoibs on