Skip to content

Should Carthage be destroyed?

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Deploy the cabbage!
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    Ohhhh that joke come from here.

Carthage was the capital of the last computer against which i lost my last game. Burn them all, and burn the ashes, and put the ashes of the ashes in the dirt, then burn the dirt, give it to eat to some monster and burn the monster.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    I am a little concerned that all this talk of cabbages and arson and ancient jokes (was that one of Bob Monkhouse's, by the way?) is distracting us from the matter at hand....

That the destruction of Carthage is making a late surge, and is now only 4 votes behind those wanting to save our animal loving city.

If Carthage falls, the only place left holding out against the Romans will be that plucky little village in Armorica!

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    BGLover said:

I am a little concerned that all this talk of cabbages and arson and ancient jokes (was that one of Bob Monkhouse's, by the way?) is distracting us from the matter at hand....

That the destruction of Carthage is making a late surge, and is now only 4 votes behind those wanting to save our animal loving city.

If Carthage falls, the only place left holding out against the Romans will be that plucky little village in Armorica!

Catullus alone carries my desire to switch votes on his filthy little shoulders, but I admit that as someone who has played a Baali in old WoD, I do want to see Carthage preserved so that vampires and sacrificial cattle alike can...uh, I mean so that vampires and mortals alike can live in harmony!
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    BGLover said:

Never fear, the Parthians and Sassanids have a very good record against them, especially on the defensive. Emperor Valerian could tell you a thing or two about that!

(Or just, like, anybody with lots of archer cavalry.)

• KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    I have alway hate figs. An there no doubt figs are the made of some evil infant.

Carthage grown and sell this bitter seed of despair. We have no choice but burn the city and the all country to make sure not a single plant stay alive.
  • DaggerXIVDaggerXIV Member Posts: 22

Meanwhile, we Greeks were a peaceful and prosperous people, unstained by the plague of imperialistic ambitions *

*slaves sold separately, ethnic cleansing not included

Alexander was technically a Macedonian, right? The Greeks who went with him on a series of imperialist conquests were technically being Macedonian imperialists, right? *ίδρωμα*
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    @GenderNihilismGirdle has some excellent points, and Rome's extirpation of Carthage was needlessly savage. However, I have to admit that I am against human sacrifice, esp. of children so Carthage must go.
    BGLover said:

Skatan said:

Have you seen or read Barbarians by Terry Jones? If not, I urge you to do it.....

Reading it right now, and since it is essentially a polemic on Roman Propaganda, and authored by a Pythonite, it seems a perfect accompaniment to this thread. (It's also immensley readable).

One paragraph stood out for me:

Rome's original assumption of a world-ruling role had been over the dead body of Carthage, which it had not only conquered, but extir­pated as completely as it could. In 146 Be the city had some 700,000 inhabitants. When it was captured, the Roman soldiers spent six days in an orgy of killing, setting fire to buildings so that their work would be illuminated at night. More than half a million people were said to have been slaughtered without any regard to age or sex. Not even the most virulent anti-Barbarian propagandists ever ascribed such ruthless, inhuman savagery to anyone else. Genocide was a peculiarly Roman speciality.

Wait until you get to the chapter about Ceasar's invasion of Gaul. The estimated figures of dead gauls because of this is so sickening it makes even the mongols look like choir boys. Compared to that, a little child sacrificing seems like the lesser of two evils.

Besides, Carthage was an 'empire' built primarly on trade and not military conquest. I don't get if @GenderNihilismGirdle's post was irony or not, but the two empires; Rome and Carthage, are not 1-to-1 comparable in that sense.

@GenderNihilismGirdle has some excellent points, and Rome's extirpation of Carthage was needlessly savage. However, I have to admit that I am against human sacrifice, esp. of children so Carthage must go.

I'm pretty sure that was Roman propaganda, it's not sourced anywhere outside of Roman propaganda of the time that I'm aware of anyway (and, of course, of later Roman "historical" references to Carthage that were backwards-justifying such extreme actions based on what only existed inside their own pro-war propaganda of the period) and it's worthwhile to note that despite it very likely being Roman propaganda, Roman troops actually did slaughter a bunch of kids (and infants) in Carthage, and bragged about it afterwards. So the only ones proven to have engaged in the systematic killing of children in Carthage were Romans who felt Carthage should be destroyed.

It's sort of like how, yeah Emperors were often bad people, but Caligula and Nero set the example for what to say about bad Emperors to the extent that we know some detractors of later Emperors were just trying to paint them posthumously with a bad brush by asserting stuff as bad as what Caligula and Nero did (and even some of what Caligula and Nero did is only sourced in the writings of their detractors and nowhere else, which isn't to say there weren't tons of things sourced every which way that they definitely did that were heinous, just that those things gave Roman writers liscence to heap on stuff they didn't do, and then in the future continue to heap those same things on them as if it was definitely the case based on one very biased writer that says things no other contemporary source attests).

In other words, it's kind of a Roman tradition to lie about people and places they want others to hate or destroy or condemn, and the bigger and more sensational the lies the better.
    edited April 2016

This whole dispute could have been solved peacefully but unfortunately Dido created a culture in Carthage where giving in was not an option. When Roman ambassadors went to negotiate a peaceful surrender apparently the response was:

But I will go down with this ship
    And I won't put my hands up and surrender
    There will be no white flag above my door

And as the tide of battle turned a bloodied and badly wounded Carthaginian soldier stumbled into the command tent and found a despondent General, a full cup of tea unfinished on a side table, gazing wistfully at the portrait of Queen Dido hanging at the back of the tent and mumbling to himself:

My tea's gone cold, I'm wondering why I
    Got out of bed at all
    The morning rain clouds up my window moistens my tentflap
    And I can't see at all
    And even if I could it'd all be grey
    But your picture on my wall
    It reminds me that it's not so bad
    It's not so bad
    edited April 2016
    Skatan said:

BGLover said:

Skatan said:

Have you seen or read Barbarians by Terry Jones? If not, I urge you to do it.....

Reading it right now, and since it is essentially a polemic on Roman Propaganda, and authored by a Pythonite, it seems a perfect accompaniment to this thread. (It's also immensley readable).

One paragraph stood out for me:

Rome's original assumption of a world-ruling role had been over the dead body of Carthage, which it had not only conquered, but extir­pated as completely as it could. In 146 Be the city had some 700,000 inhabitants. When it was captured, the Roman soldiers spent six days in an orgy of killing, setting fire to buildings so that their work would be illuminated at night. More than half a million people were said to have been slaughtered without any regard to age or sex. Not even the most virulent anti-Barbarian propagandists ever ascribed such ruthless, inhuman savagery to anyone else. Genocide was a peculiarly Roman speciality.

Wait until you get to the chapter about Ceasar's invasion of Gaul. The estimated figures of dead gauls because of this is so sickening it makes even the mongols look like choir boys. Compared to that, a little child sacrificing seems like the lesser of two evils.

Besides, Carthage was an 'empire' built primarly on trade and not military conquest. I don't get if @GenderNihilismGirdle's post was irony or not, but the two empires; Rome and Carthage, are not 1-to-1 comparable in that sense.
    It was a silly little post, but it has seeds in it of what I actually feel about it.

State violence, whether it's "military conquest" or not, in that era was generally done with their military, including violence to maintain (and expand) borders but I'm also counting population control here, that was their standing military that intervened quite violently on the part of the state to maintain an ethnic caste-based supremacy of Phoenician-descended folks over indigenous African populations comingling with them, including suppressing the occasional rebellion.

But aside from that, military conquest was something Carthage never stopped participating in since it's founding. There were indigenous African communities around them that the Phoenicians who settled there initially made sure to clear out (with the aid of other indigenous African communities it can probably be said, although there's scant evidence of that being true it seems probable anyway, but it's still Phoenician empire-building the same way Europeans later enacted their own brand of it by making alliances of convenience with traditional enemies of the peoples whose land they most coveted) and even at their height they were regularly engaged in raiding the surrounding indigenous African communities for slaves for their primary piece of Empire you mentioned: trade!

But founding aside, Carthage definitely held territories nearly all the way East to Egypt along the North African coast, as well as large chunks of what is now Spain and Portugal and held, lost, and retook again many Mediterranean islands over the course of it's existence...through military conquest, not trade! They also joined wars on the side of allies throughout their history, putting their standing navy to use (and to a lesser extent their standing military, as they relied more heavily on mercenaries outside NW Africa) even in conflicts they weren't directly involved in as pretty much every single state in the region, with aspirations towards empire or not, engaged in at the time (and Carthage definitely aspired towards Empire, something Rome found absolutely intolerable since that meant they had shared targets for imperial ambitions). Intricate alliances and regional powerplays concerned everyone in the region, very few powers with standing militaries/navies, of which Carthage was one, could afford to play Switzerland in that era (although they did also play Switzerland, in the sense of constantly selling their navy's services as mercenaries in peacetime for profit). In fact their navy was huge and nearly always active, either in mercenary activity that paid to the state or in official state actions jumping into wars, and before their fall it was considered the equal of Rome's navy at some points in its history, and superior to Rome's navy at every other point in its history. It was often just as much of a statement to not jump into the fray if a trade ally was involved as it was to pick a side, and Carthage had actually picked a side with Rome fairly infrequently in its history up to that point, so some of that praise actually came from Romans speaking of the efficiency and size of their navy glowingly since they were writers who were speaking on this topic in the afterglow of a successful joint venture (and even in the period of their destruction, contemporary Roman writers like Polybius were very explicit in their assessment of Carthage as a dangerous naval power who frequently used their naval power).

So it was built "primarily" on trade, but some of that trade was mercenary deployment of military/navy conquest, and in between that they kept on expanding their territory with, y'know, their extremely powerful navy conquering islands and the rest of the African coast of the Mediterranean and the Iberian peninsula (and fairly far inland as well, that was not "trade conquest" that secured them those territories).

So it's all connected, and you can't really tease apart any one part of it without revealing the violent military actions contributing to the their trade empire even apart from the near-constant exercise of their naval power in one form or another, or their constant conflicts over islands they wanted to be part of their imperial patrimony.

tl;dr you can't maintain an empire, even a trade empire, without spilling blood every once in a while, but a trade empire in one localized region is rarely an empire, and an empire stretching far enough requires much more frequent blood-spilling, which Carthage participated in.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975

While there actually is some evidence (not conclusive) that Rome's tales of Carthaginian child sacrifice were not entirely propaganda, Rome wasn't a stranger to human sacrifice either: the last large-scale human sacrifice in Rome took place when Hannibal appeared about to imminently besiege the city after Cannae.
    Ayiekie said:

While there actually is some evidence (not conclusive) that Rome's tales of Carthaginian child sacrifice were not entirely propaganda, Rome wasn't a stranger to human sacrifice either: the last large-scale human sacrifice in Rome took place when Hannibal appeared about to imminently besiege the city after Cannae.
    That's fascinating, I did not know that factoid about Roman human sacrifice in the face of a Carthaginian invasion! On the topic of things I did not know, what's the inconclusive evidence outside of Roman sources that the tales weren't propaganda, re: Carthage?
    @Ayiekie that is some seriously cool stuff, didn't know any of the archaeological posits one way or the other on that one! Thanks so much for the detailed reply!
    This is turning into the best thread in a long time!